PDA

View Full Version : Arthritis and sex/bdsm

albear
03-05-2005, 09:51 AM
I have a question that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I've recently come down with some kind of arthritis that affects every joint in my body except my shoulders (oh, and spine...is that a joint?). So far the doctors can't tell me if it's temporary and coming from a virus or permanent and a bit more sinister, like rheumatoid. It's making sex uncomfortable (to say the least!) and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with arthritis/old injuries that play up or any sort of rheumatism and what positions etc are most comfortable. I find it hard to stay in any position for extended periods of time (more like more than a few minutes) but it's also hard to change positions. Any suggestions would be most appreciated, at the moment it's a whole lot of trial and error!

Thanks! :help:

Nightstriker
03-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Well for my joint pain I usually take a Super Strength Motrin, and it all goes away (400 mg of ibprofine is an amazing dose). Other than that there is not a lot that I can do for my joint pain.

orchidsoul
03-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Hi albear,

So sorry to hear you're in pain. I hope it ends up being only temporary.

I'm not so sure how you feel about taking anything for your symptoms, but I know of a couple herbal approaches. I have a friend that used to suffer from joint pain and he was part of hiking/rescue crew at a mountain during this period. He swore by brewers yeast daily and it allowed him to continue working at the mountain. Granted, I just did a brief search and found no direct correlation to remedying pain! But, it's high in Vitamin B which is helpful in alleviating arthritis... so maybe that's the correlation??

A couple other herbal options are turmeric or Devil's claw. They aid in relieving swelling and other triggers of arthritis.

There's also the option of acupuncture depending on your health coverage. An amazing practice that alleviates, controls and/or cures. Not sure of it's success rate in arthritis, but may be worth a shot.

Check into little things you can change in your daily routine to prevent aiding arthritis from affecting you- sleeping routine, diet, excercise, etc.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon... especially since you're not even comfortable getting the lovin'!!

~orchidsoul

albear
03-05-2005, 06:33 PM
Thanks guys! I've been following the Arthritis Australia diet (boring, low in acids etc) and that has helped enormously. I've got the medication side of things covered (oh boy do I have it covered :rolleyes: ) and I have been thinking about natural therapies, but until I know what kind of arthritis it is I'm not sure what I should be treating exactly.

Any ideas on comfortable positions for lovin'? ;) I've tried flat on my back but it still hurts my hips!

Nightstriker
03-05-2005, 10:13 PM
I can't really think of any positions, though I can say that to aleive the pressure on your hips you will probably need to be in a position where you are not rolling your hips, or spreading your legs far apart......Other than that good luck finding a position you are comfortable in.

Chuckdom19
03-05-2005, 10:57 PM
Thanks guys! I've been following the Arthritis Australia diet (boring, low in acids etc) and that has helped enormously. I've got the medication side of things covered (oh boy do I have it covered :rolleyes: ) and I have been thinking about natural therapies, but until I know what kind of arthritis it is I'm not sure what I should be treating exactly.

Any ideas on comfortable positions for lovin'? ;) I've tried flat on my back but it still hurts my hips!

Dee & I both have the same concern; we have conquered it with endorphins. With plenty of foreplay (and, of course, Darvocet for her & Naprocin for me), it's usually not a serious concern.

Doggy style is frequently possible, with some pillows to bolster her hips and shoulders. Flat on her back while I pleasure her, and vice versa as well. She also states that sitting on top is easier on her back and hips. (Doesn't do my back much good though. But some things are worth putting up with.)

A gentle heat massage, after, seems to help, too.

chksng

ProjectEuropa
03-06-2005, 01:47 AM
Thanks guys! I've been following the Arthritis Australia diet (boring, low in acids etc) and that has helped enormously.

I was going to suggest you look at your diet yesterday but diets can seem somewhat witch doctorish so I didn't post a reply. Over the years I've had quite a few different diets given me. The one I try to stick to is low red meat and dairy products (Aaargh! I just luuuuv French cheeses so I fail here) and eat plenty of fish. Oh and restrict my alcohol intake (hmm do the doctors want me to top myself?). I do find diet helps though (or maybe not, its difficult to say)

I picked up a hip injury while working in the coal mine, a knee injury playing soccer and got problems with my hands while sculpting stone. It was then that the doctor decided these weren't so much injuries as me being prone to arthritis. However over the years I've tried to be sensible with my diet and I seem to have coped pretty well. Either the diet is working or the doctor was being over cautious. I guess what I'm saying is that things don't necessarily get worse and worse. I'm still very conscious of my joints from time to time but they've only restricted my, how can I say, enjoyments from time to time.

However being the opposite gender to you I can't really advise you on comfortable positions for doing what we like doing most!

Jeez looking at this I'm a wreck! But I'm not and that is my point.

Good luck and stick with the awful diets.

Nightstriker
03-06-2005, 09:33 AM
After some talking with some people here is what I have been able to come up with for the lovin' stuff.

Doggy style and put a comfy pillow under your belly.

Barton
03-07-2005, 07:26 PM
Ibuprofen does work wonders. As does a rubdown with Aspercream and then a heating pad.
Doggie style is okay but if you were to lay at the edge of a bed it would support your hips and should help.

Good luck!!

albear
03-08-2005, 01:23 AM
Hey, thanks everyone for the input, here and in PM. Should I let you know how doggy style goes, or would that be too much information? :eek:

Toymaker
03-08-2005, 01:28 AM
As a proud owner of both rheumatoid and osteo arthritic conditions, I sympathize with your situation. As far as medications go, I've had (and continue to have) good results from Naprocyn (Naproxyn) and Darvocet D (Propoxyphene) pills on a daily basis and Enbrel (Etanercept) injections once a week.

I can't give you any suggestions about positions per se, however I have a few alternative suggestions that you might be able to incorporate.

1) Don't continue to attempt all the "traditional" contortionist positions. Substitute partial mummification (plastic wrap from shoulders to hips) in place of ropes, tethers, etc. Substitute bending over a larger piece of furniture at the hips (desk, sewing machine stand, etc.) instead of ottomans, stools, and the like.

2) Have your dominant partner task you with different types of punishment/training such as nude driving during the daytime or something similar.

I've found that I've had to be more creative/imaginative with my BDSM activities. I hope that you are able to adapt to your situation satisfactorily.

Good luck.

albear
03-08-2005, 05:51 AM
2) Have your dominant partner task you with different types of punishment/training such as nude driving during the daytime or something similar.

*ahem* Lets not mention this one to him, shall we? :p

Seriously though, I don't know a lot about this, do you get relief from the medications you're taking for pain? Because I've tried a few but none of them ever gets rid of it completely and lets me stay awake at the same time. Thanks for the reply :)

Barton
03-08-2005, 08:00 AM
Hey, thanks everyone for the input, here and in PM. Should I let you know how doggy style goes, or would that be too much information? :eek:

Do tell, do tell albear.

Aeneas
03-08-2005, 09:36 AM
Strictly from an intellectual and clinical point of view, I join Barton in urging a full report!

P.P. I really do hope it help.

MsTerry
03-13-2005, 08:56 PM
after i was injured during an apprehansion gone terrible wrong I had RA set in my injured joints (ankles, knees, and hip) they prescribed Celebrex and I love the stuff but since the insurance companies got squemish and it was temporarily taken off until it comes back they recommended Alieve. I only have to take it occasionally if the weather changes colder suddenly or I intend to do something strenuous. I would also reccomend to you Glucosamine supplements. From my years of being an ex pet store manager this supplemement was originally designed for large dogs such as german shephards and danes that are genetically dispositioned for joint pain and hip displacia. Its medicinial purposes also benefit humans as well. Don't be fooled by buying the expensive stuff from health stores, over the counter offers the same amount - glucosamine with chondrotin sulfate. If you need to apply heat on your joint areas and want to forgo the heating pad you can also use a bag of uncooked rice in a plastic bag and then wrap it up in a towel or clean sock. Microwave the rice and it stays hot for hours and in a sock it is more pliable and can be tied into place for comfort or to hit those hard to reach joints the pad just can't suround - like knees and wrists.
Only advice I can offer - as to the positions - :confused: have no prior expertise in that area.