PDA

View Full Version : Question: Locking Threads

albear
03-19-2005, 09:18 AM
I have a quick question about locking/deleting threads. I did a search on this before I posted (yay for me!) and it turned up a five page thread that didn't really answer my question but turned into a huge argument. I didn't want that rearing it's ugly head again. My intention with this thread is only to ask a question, not start a mud flinging match, so please, keep it all clean (because if we're flinging anything it should be jelly :p )

If a spam thread gets locked the thread stays and is still viewable. Isn't this effectively still spamming, seeing as we can all see what was said but we just can't talk about it? I understand the uproar deleting threads can cause, but these threads are only designed to be spam, we're not losing any information/history by getting rid of them.

Just a thought, don't jump down my throat if you disagree :)

Barton
03-19-2005, 11:54 PM
I think that it acts more like a head stuck on a pole. A warning to any others thinking of doing the same.

albear
03-20-2005, 12:00 AM
That's a good point... but the people doing the spamming aren't members here (until they want to start spamming) and I doubt they read the forums. At the rate we get spam, the next time someone spams the previous locked thread is already on the next page and they're probably not likely to search for it.

I guess I only started thinking about it in the last couple of days because I have to look at one particular locked thread now that gives me the creeps.

Barton
03-20-2005, 12:04 AM
Yes I know. Maybe you can ask LD to remove it as offensive.

Lord Douche
03-20-2005, 08:04 AM
There ya go, bear :) I moved that thread to the Recycle Bin, so you can't see it anymore.

My opinion on Spam threads is that locking them ensures they don't stay on the top because people post on it. Deletion is final, and we may want to get it back, like what happened recently with the Survey thread.
LD

albear
03-21-2005, 06:33 AM
Thanks dearie :)