PDA

View Full Version : Author List

Harold
05-18-2003, 08:46 PM
I would like to have a way to list the authors, just to see who posts to the site. There are many ways to list the stories, but I haven't found a way to list just the authors. Would anyone else find this convenient? Nothing fancy, just a list of names with maybe the number of stories posted, each name being a link to that author's page.

Maybe this already exists and I just don't know how to use it. If that's the case, would someone clue me in?

Powerone
05-19-2003, 06:57 AM
If you go to advanced search and put in author, the letter A in author name, order by authors name and ascending order. It is not actually what you want as it lists each authors stories one by one, but you can see each writers stories.

Originally posted by Harold
I would like to have a way to list the authors, just to see who posts to the site. There are many ways to list the stories, but I haven't found a way to list just the authors. Would anyone else find this convenient? Nothing fancy, just a list of names with maybe the number of stories posted, each name being a link to that author's page.

Maybe this already exists and I just don't know how to use it. If that's the case, would someone clue me in?

Harold
05-19-2003, 08:33 PM
Yes, I'm aware that you can do it that way, or you can simply sort by author in ascending or descending order, but what you get is still a list of stories rather than a list of authors, which is somewhat cumbersome. I was looking for something a little more succinct.

Most story sites do provide such a list. This site provides a wide array of search capabilities, much more than average. Jinn has done a remarkable job of organizing the site and making it easy to navigate. Nonetheless, it seemed like this might be a useful addition. I do like to look over the author lists on other sites and see who's posting stories.

Tiger
05-20-2003, 10:38 AM
I must confess that I was lazy when I first designed the site. I was simply using the same template for all the search functions. Ideally, you should get an author list when you search authors, a story title list when you search the title. But to simplify the programming, I just used one template for all search results and story lists. I also feel the urge to add more functions in story search and list because of the ever increasing number of stories. I already put your idea on my to do list (the list is getting longer and longer). I wish I can also add a category system on top of the story codes. This will be a similar system used by most other story sites. I think this could be useful because people are all used to this kind of categorized story listing system.

ozgreg
07-15-2003, 01:21 AM
I got admit I like the idea of being able to link profiles here back to stories we have submitted.

Something to consider??