PDA

View Full Version : BDSM questionnaire?

tabuk
08-27-2005, 08:07 PM
I found a questionnaire many years ago that helped define a persons inclination in bdsm/fetish. I cant find it anywhere now. Does anyone know of this questionnaire or one that is similar.

Thanky

His_pita
08-28-2005, 03:36 PM
I did a Google search on BDSM checklist and there are many. You just need to find the one you want.

tabuk
08-28-2005, 08:43 PM
ah thanky very much. See it just takes someone to look at the words used in a search in a different way :)

Ranai
08-29-2005, 08:12 AM
Hi tabuk, you can find a Submissive / Dominant / Switch Activity Checklist on Ruby's site at http://www.vampirespet.com/ActivityChecklist.html

kinkabella introduced a 'pleasures list' in this thread: A Different Approach To BDSM Limits Lists (http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3512).

Nikita
08-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Yet another thread revival. This question was posted by tabuk about a year ago and it is rarely mentioned on these boards. Perhaps once or twice, Ruby provided a link where it was relevant.

I found a questionnaire many years ago that helped define a persons inclination in bdsm/fetish. I cant find it anywhere now. Does anyone know of this questionnaire or one that is similar.

Thanky
This particular questionnaire Tabuk mentions is also called a bdsm checklist and is, in my opinion, a crucial starting place for play between r/l or cyber bdsm partners. My partner insisted I fill it out before we moved on to any play. In fact, when I returned it to him, he studied it and asked me questions about some of my answers. It was then, he realized that I did not know what some of the questions meant! So, the list is also an educational tool as well.

I ran across a link the other day that had an excellent checklist that didn't have to be filled out by hand, but rather electronically.

Based on the information supplied, they suggest scenes you'd be interested in based on your questionnaire. My answers were very compatible with the suggested scenes!

BDSM Play and/or Scening Checklist (http://www.soulshaven.f2s.com/nchk_main.php3)

It is best navigated with the IE browser.

I hope it is helpful to y'all.

Silke
08-20-2006, 04:19 PM
An awesome checklist you found there, nikita...thanks for sharing it. :)

Asia
08-20-2006, 05:24 PM
From a boring but more legal and scientific viewpoint -

Try the DSM-IV [the clinicans manual] - you'd be glad to know that BDSM is not considered as a psychological 'deviancy' by courts of law. *A fetish is only considered worthy of 'treatment' is that is the only way to achive sexual gratification*

My favourite example: a man who could only get aroused by the sight of paper clips but nothing else

I found this recent paper in a quite highly rated peer reviewed RAE journal by Prof. Bruce Gross - an accomplished, respected and reknowned researcher - to be of great interest: www.acfei.com/pdf/cases/PleasureOfPain.pdf

The reference list should help you located further papers of interest, if your into the more scientific understandings of BDSM.
~kiss~
Asia
xxx

Nikita
08-20-2006, 05:38 PM
From a boring but more legal and scientific viewpoint -

Try the DSM-IV [the clinicans manual] - you'd be glad to know that BDSM is not considered as a psychological 'deviancy' by courts of law. *A fetish is only considered worthy of 'treatment' is that is the only way to achive sexual gratification*

My favourite example: a man who could only get aroused by the sight of paper clips but nothing else

I found this recent paper in a quite highly rated peer reviewed RAE journal by Prof. Bruce Gross - an accomplished, respected and reknowned researcher - to be of great interest: www.acfei.com/pdf/cases/PleasureOfPain.pdf

The reference list should help you located further papers of interest, if your into the more scientific understandings of BDSM.
~kiss~
Asia
xxx

Thank you for that article Asia. It is odd that there is a dearth of information on how the courts have treated BDSM related issues with the help of the scientific community. This is one of those rare papers that address the situation through the fetish of paperclips.

However, I didn't see how it related to the practical advantages of using a BDSM checklist of preferences and likes or the dislikes of your partner.

The checklist contains a listing of things involved in BDSM play, like watersports, humiliation play, age play, anal, oral, etc and the responder indicates their level of interest in that particular play by choosing the appropriate icon. This type of checklist is especially useful for cyber play, doms in training and newbie subs.

This post is directly linked to this topic:

http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3512

I didn't make that clear in the previous post.

Asia
08-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Sorry nikita - that's my linear mind at work again - there's so many papers re: the extensive research (validated and replicated) into the cognitive functioning behind those who enjoy the many elements of BDSM, I thought an alernative (e.g. linear and objective) research paper would be an interesting addition to address Tabuks's question - that's all - that's why I stated 'boring'. I apologise if I caused any offence by adding to this post. I, for one, have no time for psychodymanic theories. I do however, appreciate the scientific study of the mind, sexuality and behaviour - but like I said, 'boring'. Sorry again. Delete if you want *smiles*
Asia
xxx

NCMaster
09-01-2006, 05:57 PM
The check list are good only if the person knows and understands exactly what each item on the list is. If they do not know, then how can they respond with any real response other than I don't know? Yes, I do know that one of the options for response is "not tried".

If the person is experienced, they can and will let you know about the things that interests them or doesn't interest them. If they are not experienced, then they can not know what they want or don't want just from a check list.

At best, a check list is a place to start, at worst, it is a false representation of what is expected or wanted.

Ruby
09-01-2006, 06:18 PM
At best, a check list is a place to start, at worst, it is a false representation of what is expected or wanted.

A great point. We all have to be careful and communicate the difference between our fantasies and what we really want to happen.

Checklists are not only wonderful ice breakers, they are also full of fetishes of which we might not be aware.

_ID_
09-02-2006, 03:41 AM
Checklists are a good way to start educating someone who doesn't know what they want. In learning what something is, they will learn if it appeals to them, and if they would like to try it.

They are also a good way for a submissive to comunicate to a Dom, when the submissive is shy, and doesn't like to say no to something.

V/R
ID

Ironwulf
12-29-2006, 06:53 AM
I doubt anyone will read down this far but if you made it here and are still looking for a questionnaire, I offer you this one that I put together from various sources. It includes a few additions of my own to try and fill in the gaps I felt were left in the originals.

I do not claim this to be the best questionnaire possible but I do feel it will be a good starting point for anyone interested in this lifestyle. It has served me well over the years.

It has been formatted as an adobe pdf file for easy printing.

BDSM_Questionnaire.pdf (http://www.over45ers.org/BDSM_Questionnaire.pdf)

(14 pages - 51KB)

~hellish one~
12-29-2006, 07:40 AM
wow, Ironwulf! i just scanned over the entire questionnaire you posted and i do have to say, it is one of the most comprehensive and detailed questionnaires i have seen on any website.

thank you for sharing it with us! ~smiles~

Ironwulf
12-29-2006, 08:34 AM
My Pleasure, :)

Enjoy reading/answering it, Use it before play, Share it with friends.

If anyone has adobe writer and would like to add to, or improve this file I have no problem with that as long as they share it freely. Perhaps if the interest is there we could start a thread where suggestions could be made on changes to improve it.

It is very hard for a couple people to think of everything someone might like to try in this lifestyle no matter how long they have been in it. :)

_ID_
12-30-2006, 02:17 AM
Great list. I would add

Ballooning and knife play to your fetish lists.

Urine (external)
Urine (consuming)
Fecal (external)
Fecal (consuming)

The reason I suggested specifying between external and consuming, is some people are okay with it on the body, but not in the mouth.

Otherwise its a very good list.

Ironwulf
12-30-2006, 03:44 AM
Hi, thanks for the feedback. I am not sure what Ballooning is so will have to read up on that. :)

I had considered moving Knife Play to the extreme section (section 6 page 7) but since Cutting was already on the list I just dropped it. I might need to read up on that again as currently I consider it ultra extreme play with a high risk rate requiring very skilled and experienced partners. Even a very dull knife hurts if you should fall on one pointy side up.

I also left out Gun Play for the same reasons even though to me the Gun is the safer option as long as it is unloaded AND the firing pin is removed or chamber blocker installed or both.

Personally, I would suggest using toy or rubber versions of either one if it was needed for role playing. But that is me, I am sure there are others who will not agree with my thoughts on this subject.

As for:
Urine (external) - Golden Showers, fetishes section 6 page 6, section 8 page 10
Urine (consuming) - Serving as toilet (urine), section 8 page 12
Fecal (external) - Brown showers (scat), section 8 page 8
Fecal (consuming) - Serving as toilet (feces), section 8 page 12

Sextoymaker
12-30-2006, 08:03 AM
I kinda like this link. Great for info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BDSM

_ID_
12-30-2006, 10:10 AM
I see you already had most of what I suggested... I admit I didn't read it line for line, just looked for a few items I know get dropped from the more popular lists. Since I didn't see them, it may have been because it's seems rather jumbled. Thats just my perception though.

As far as having the extreme fetishes listed or not. If you were not to list them. I wouldn't use your checklist, as it then becomes a personal list, rather than one that encompasses all the activities that can be experienced. Regardless of level of play.

I also didn't notice blood play, but that can fall into cutting and piercing.

Just my two bits worth though.

ID

P.S the idea of ballooning can be found in our "what is your fetish?" thread in the knowledge base threads.

Ironwulf
12-30-2006, 12:33 PM
@IDCrewDawg

No Problem my friend, I originally put that file together for myself and a few friends that were unhappy with what was found existing at the time.

I do not have adobe writer (or M$ Office etc.) so was limited to using notepad to try and format the files into some type of useable text for printing. I later found a conversion program to turn the .txt file into the .pdf file we have today.

I agree that some sections are not as well organized as I would have liked them to be and I also realize that we probably left out some things that others might consider very important. However, overall the end result was much better then the sum of the parts we started with and the questionnaire has been used with very good results for quite some time now.

Personally I hope others with the time and the tools will continue to mold the information into a more concise and well organized file. The biggest problem I see with it right now is that it encompasses so much that it can overwhelm the reader.

I would like someday to see it broken down into perhaps three versions based on level of experience. People looking at the lifestyle for the first time do not need to start out being asked everything, in fact it scares some people away to read these things. I think everyone would be better served with a multi-level questionnaire.

But you got to admit that while flawed, the price is good :) :) :)