PDA

View Full Version : Cat Food

tmordan
08-30-2005, 06:49 AM
Hi everyone :)

Just wondering if someone could share a little of their knowledge with me. Y'see, I've heard on the grapevine that cat food is unsafe for human consumption. However, I never see any warnings to that effect on the packaging, and I've not heard of anyone dying from eating the stuff. Does anyone know for sure whether or not it's safe to get down on all fours and lick up a bowl of tasty chunks? ;)

His_pita
08-30-2005, 08:19 AM
I have done child care in my home for years and years and have dug out cat and dog food from many a little mouth. Now, I don't know about it being dangerous for them but I have never seen any adverse effects of them swallowing some of it down. I do find a huge gross factor to eating pet food though but to each their own. :dunno:

BDSM_Tourguide
08-30-2005, 10:03 AM
Go to your local supermarket, pick up a package of bologna, a can of tuna, a can of deviled ham, and then go to the pet food sections. Compare the labels on the cat food to the ingredients in the bologna, tuna and ham. You'll be surprised at how similar they are.

I'd say as far as safety goes, and just for taste preference, I'd rather go with the more expensive brands that are actually cooked bits of meat in gravy, rather than the cheaper, ground up paste.

Now for a true story: I used to have the habit of licking spoons after I used them for anything. Well, long story short, one day I was feeding the family cat and, not even thinking, licked the cat food off the spoon. I realized what I'd done immediately, but it wasn't all that bad. Sort of like grainy tuna paste, really. We were using the cheap cans at the time. Needless to say, despite the not-too-unpleasant taste, I never licked another spoon. LOL

tmordan
08-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Go to your local supermarket, pick up a package of bologna, a can of tuna, a can of deviled ham, and then go to the pet food sections. Compare the labels on the cat food to the ingredients in the bologna, tuna and ham. You'll be surprised at how similar they are.

Interesting... I think I'll try that tomorrow. Good idea. :)

I'd say as far as safety goes, and just for taste preference, I'd rather go with the more expensive brands that are actually cooked bits of meat in gravy, rather than the cheaper, ground up paste.

I don't know about it being dangerous for them but I have never seen any adverse effects of them swallowing some of it down.

Oh, don't you worry, I wouldn't feed my cats the cheap rubbish, so I probably wouldn't eat it myself either. Though it's probably easier and safer to just buy some mince and make some gravy or something... hmm, thanks both of you, you've given me food for thought, so to speak.