PDA

View Full Version : lifestyle in the workplace

sensualist
11-03-2005, 09:00 AM
I'm curious to know how the submission or dominance you enjoy in your life impacts your demeanor at work. for example - I have found in my wanderings through the community that many female submissives work in very high powered positions where they are very much in charge at the office. seems to me that submission acts as a kind of counterbalance to their day-in-day-out tasks.

so my question is - do you find that you carry some of what you learn in the lifestyle into the offrice in some way? does it make you more understanding of co-workers' behavior? more alert to the power plays?

velvet_nectarine
11-05-2005, 08:41 PM
I personally find this very true. I have college classes that i attend in addition to work and not only do i have to be self-motivated to get myself to my classes, i also have a lot of extra work outside of classtimes that i have to do (currently choreographing for an upcoming dance show, as well as for a class i teach).

As far as work goes, i have a very flexible job that allows me to come in whenever i want as long as the work gets done, but again, i have to make myself go in - no one is going to call me up wondering where i am. My job itself is a pretty responsible position - i take care of the office part of a landscaping business: phones, mail (easy stuff), invoicing, collections, payroll, reports, taxes, contracts, etc (more difficult stuff). I definitely have found that the more responsibilities i have at one time, the more i need to not be responsible and "in control" when i'm away from these things (and it's hard for me to let go of these things even when i'm supposed to be "relaxing").

I've always been pretty aware of power plays and manipulation - mainly, who has the power and what could set this person off, so i don't think that D/S has increased that awareness simply because i already had it. However, it does give me the chance to clearly see the lines of power without manipulation and power struggles going on.

JohnZ
11-10-2005, 04:49 AM
I think that you both have the right idea. Plus a Happy Bedroom makes for a Happy work place. If you feel good - fullfilled - you preform better at work. Also if you can see the lines of control - manipulation and power you can fit in and find your roll better - thus keeping the main points of your job the main point. I am fond of saying "Keep the main thing the main thing"

Being a sensual dominate - I treat those that work for me with the same loving care as I would my submissive. meaning that the behaviours that I require from them are rewarded, but when they are out of line, that they are instructed what is wrong and coached through to perform to their best ability.

John

(by the way - if anyone is in Louisville KY - I am looking for a new Production assistant!)

steph_m_chick
11-11-2005, 08:13 PM
I think you are right, at least in my case. I work in a financial firm where I'm an executive secretary. I'm extremely kept extremely busy, and, in essence, really run the office. For me, being helpless is sort of an escape, I guess. But then, I'm not really the true "submissive" in that I like to be "forced" to submit, not do so "willingly".

I hope that helps with your research.