PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing images / banner advertisements

Ruby
12-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Thought I'd start a new thread for this one, so it doesn't get lost in the "modest proposal" debate.

Okay, so am I the only person grossed out by the really skanky naked people that show up when you first enter the site? Can they maybe be moved to the bottom?

LOL, yeah! no kidding... and that one stupid banner makes the site definitely NSFW! You can't have anyone walking into your office and seeing that crap on the screen. Before that I was able to get away with a visit during the day--but not so easy now.

Agreed, my sweet Nathaniel pointed this out to me, too.
The images turned him off enough to not want to visit the story page.

Gotta say, these are not the visuals I want before delving into fantasy. And they do make it very hard to check into the site while others are in the computer room.

Tiger, not sure when you'll have time to see this, but I'm sure a few more members will have something to say about this.

Ruby
12-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Thought I'd start a new thread for this one, so it doesn't get lost in the "modest proposal" debate.

Okay, so am I the only person grossed out by the really skanky naked people that show up when you first enter the site? Can they maybe be moved to the bottom?

LOL, yeah! no kidding... and that one stupid banner makes the site definitely NSFW! You can't have anyone walking into your office and seeing that crap on the screen. Before that I was able to get away with a visit during the day--but not so easy now.

Gotta say, these are not the visuals I want before delving into fantasy. And they do make it very hard to check into the site while others are in the computer room.

Tiger, not sure when you'll have time to see this, but I'm sure a few more members will have something to say on this topic.

The current suggestion is to please move the banner images of the "skanky people" to the bottom of the page.

Other suggestions?
Comments?

Microwave0ven
12-06-2005, 03:16 PM
just dropping in to mention my agreement with all of the above comments, I used to sneak into this site for stories at home, or at school, but now with the risk of people walking in and seeing those images and asking what i'm doing, I don't go on the site as much.

perhaps get a different type of advertiser, or less explicit images for the head-banner, and/or move the banners to a less prominent area of the page?

pejanon
12-06-2005, 03:25 PM
I totally agree on 'skanky people' lol.

I do not have anyone looking over my shoulder but still, whenever I log on - I go yeeech...
And - I do not want go yeeechh when I come to Library!

AND - since I am trigger happy - I checked. It maybe false advertising. Skanky people are in no way connected with names - supposedly from my country, which they are not!

I do not care if it is false or not but it is certainly most annoying.... Please change banner - or if it is necessary (I understand that) - please move it down.... ..

Pej

chattel69
12-06-2005, 04:05 PM
I had said the same thing someplace else in the forum. I am coming here for stories not pictures.

Rabbit1
12-06-2005, 08:49 PM
Well I am not a fan of the Pictures either---but I do understand what Tiger has to do to keep the site up and running ---hey folks it is not a free ride---weather you realize it or not it takes money to keep this site running----and since we are not paying for it ---it has to be done with ads----kind of like the old TV before cable ----if you wanted to watch a program you had to put up with the commercials no matter how stupid or distasful they were. Now we end up paying the big cable bill to see shows with out ads and guess what ----there are adds there too---lol

Now we can whine and sob over the ads all we want --but the alternitive is are you willing to pay the cost to keep the site running? I seen the cost was to be defrayed by the private members area---a pay place---guess what if more of you that hate the ads had joined and paid maybe there would be less ads----so join right up now if you wish to help out---

Ruby
12-07-2005, 01:36 AM
I seen the cost was to be defrayed by the private members area---a pay place---guess what if more of you that hate the ads had joined and paid maybe there would be less ads----so join right up now if you wish to help out---

Rabbit, I've got no problem with banner ads.
IMO, it's the pictures in the ads that cheapen the look of the site.

We've have a paid members area and we have ads.
Some ads are just classier than others.

If Tiger was promising to remove the tacky ads if enough members joined, then hey, I'll be one of the first to have a new membership drive. But why not let him reap as much revenue as possible from the site?

One suggestion was to move the offensive advertising to the bottom of the page.

Another suggestion may be to use classier banner ads such as

albear
12-07-2005, 03:50 AM
I don't usually go to the story arena, but I just had a squiz at it and got greeted by some chick who badly needs a bikini wax showing her goods to me. Maybe banner ads with less explicit pics would be a better option? Or at a less prominent place on the page. Or text ads rather than banner ads. Or a membership drive for the private members area.

And maybe just take note of the perspective from the site's users who are getting used to changes around here. Ads may keep the site running financially, but what use are ads if no one is around to see them because everyone buggered off because they didn't like the place anymore?

Just my $0.02 from the peanut gallery :)

Mobius
12-07-2005, 06:18 AM
I kind of like the pics. I did on a lark follow the add to its site and set up a free account. So now the adds are supose to be from my area. How ever now it is some times showing guys in with the hot girls. That I do not like. It is great to open the site with a row of hot girls but then to have to look at a naked guy is repulsive.

My vote is to keep it there

moby

csr
12-07-2005, 07:21 AM
Thanks Ruby...good idea! ;)

Nikita
12-07-2005, 08:04 AM
Tiger,

Revenue is primary for you, secondary for us. With that in mind, we know the site wouldn't be here were it not for the revenue garnered from the hits. ;)

Originally Posted by Rabbit1
Well I am not a fan of the Pictures either---but I do understand what Tiger has to do to keep the site up and running ---hey folks it is not a free ride---weather you realize it or not it takes money to keep this site running-

However, keep in mind that MOST of the hits are due to the reputation and quality of the library. Putting the pictures at the top of the homepage is a bonus for you, butt, it cheapens the look of the site, (with a nod to Ruby,) and it is also a deterrent for the target audience, mainstream readers of bdsm erotica, the ones who check in throughout the day...frequently. :o

Check out the very REAL concerns of library members who point out the very same concerns and I echo them:

Originally Posted by csr

Originally Posted by Ruby

Originally Posted by MicrowaveOven
I used to sneak into this site for stories at home, or at school, but now with the risk of people walking in and seeing those images and asking what i'm doing, I don't go on the site as much.

Consider Ruby's sensible suggestion, a classier banner without pictures at the top and the money pics lower on the page, below screen view.

Nikita

Rabbit1
12-07-2005, 09:55 AM

Tiger, not sure when you'll have time to see this, but I'm sure a few more members will have something to say about this.

I tend to agree but---when the few more members who want to say something about this ----I hope they are willing to turn this into a pay site to get the banners removed---This is a free site and if it turns people off to see the ads---oh well---they are not going to lose money when they do not return----it is kind of like the old free TV---you had to watch all the ads if you wanted to watch TV---now we pay for cable---and there are still ads-

now to address the particular ads----I can say from experience---there are not many sponsors out there willing to put ads on Sex sites---with the ever changing US Laws --it is just to risky for a lot of them---so you take what you can get and the one that pay the most---

All I am saying here is Tiger is doing the best he can---To keep the site up and running and free---we do not have to like the ads---I pay them no attention unless I see one that intrests me---I suggest we just have to live with it---

just my opinion---

Kaori-san
12-07-2005, 12:13 PM
I personally don't like the either... but then as Rabbit said, it is a free site and we are not being charged for any of this, so I'm just grateful that it isn't a paying site really... because the fact is, ads are needed to make it free.

However, the idea of moving them a little (unless the people payed for the ads to be there of course) might work.
If nothing can be done about it then i won't stop visiting the site... i'll just scroll down very quickly :p but if something can be done i'll be even happier :)

Rabbit1
12-07-2005, 02:13 PM
I personally don't like the either... but then as Rabbit said, it is a free site and we are not being charged for any of this, so I'm just grateful that it isn't a paying site really... because the fact is, ads are needed to make it free.

However, the idea of moving them a little (unless the people payed for the ads to be there of course) might work.
If nothing can be done about it then i won't stop visiting the site... i'll just scroll down very quickly :p but if something can be done i'll be even happier :)

good suggestion ---except ads seem to work best where they are most noticeable ---- so hiding the ads seem to defeat the purpose

Kaori-san
12-07-2005, 02:57 PM
good suggestion ---except ads seem to work best where they are most noticeable ---- so hiding the ads seem to defeat the purpose

Oh, yes -laughs- my blonde side must have kicked in for a while hehe. It would defeat the purpose... well... there must be some way to keep everyone happy -ponders-

Rabbit1
12-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Oh, yes -laughs- my blonde side must have kicked in for a while hehe. It would defeat the purpose... well... there must be some way to keep everyone happy -ponders-

LOL now that is a joke ---have you not heard that you can't please everyone--so please yourself---:D

redEva
12-07-2005, 06:13 PM
OK ... ads pay for site so it is free - so ads most likely will not go away.

anyone who will pay for its add to be posted on the site - wants it seen!

so ... most likely they will stay on the top.

but! where there is will there is option to do dirty deeds while others watch; for example - use FireFox instead of IE and than under the Tools - Options - Web Features - (click OFF) Load images:
ta-da:

Katmandu
12-07-2005, 09:31 PM
OK, I truly understand both sides in this conflict. However, (and a special cudos to Red for her techno, and Ruby for her diplomacy) if YOU were the ones paying $ to advertise, it had better be worth my bucks!

Granted, they are tacky. But I said it before, and I'll say it again. All you have to do, is scroll down quicker! Ye gods, I have young uns' in my house that constantly barage my 'puter space. It's a simple click/ roll of the mouse to fix.

In the words of my God.....TANSTAAFL....There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

Kallin
12-08-2005, 11:56 PM
I'm rather confused as to the sudden apperence of the adds? I know before tiger took over, they werent there. I'm sure he has a good reason for adding them, but I can't help but find myself wondering as to what it is.

Anyway, I really just lurk here, but I have to say... The adds have cut my visits from once a day to once a week.

pejanon
12-09-2005, 08:23 AM
Ads were there before - but this one seems irratating.

'Dirty deeds' can be done with IE too.

Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> (click OFF) show images...

reload and voila! no skanky images - but no other images either....

pej

waterchurch
12-09-2005, 02:09 PM
I was noticing that some of the photos in the adds "appear" to be underage

the one that I saw earlier looked barely 15 but claimed to be 26.

Rabbit1
12-09-2005, 02:37 PM
I was noticing that some of the photos in the adds "appear" to be underage

the one that I saw earlier looked barely 15 but claimed to be 26.

well it is the advertisers resposibility to keep age records and comply with the law---Secondly about the previous owner and his adds ---did you ever think this is why he wanted to sell the site because it was not paying for itself---I do not know this for a fact ---but if the site was paying for itself or making money ---why sell it-----and Yes I am afraid the adds are here to stay---as long as the site is free----I have seen a few forum change to pay sites resently and it just was not pretty---one I was a member of for a long time and now I do not even have access to my own pictures or stories I posted there for years----it sucks

Kallin
12-09-2005, 05:43 PM
Correct me if I err, Rabbit, but the last owner had to give up the site due to time constraints, and gave it to his friend tiger.

As far as I was aware, the site was never sold.

heycarrieanne
12-09-2005, 05:53 PM
I didn't mean to start a fire storm! But some of those images make me not want to read a hot story so I can cum!!!

And besides that ... where are the naked men with FFN??? Just asking ...

Rabbit1
12-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Correct me if I err, Rabbit, but the last owner had to give up the site due to time constraints, and gave it to his friend tiger.

As far as I was aware, the site was never sold.

Well that would be some friend to give a site away ---I do not know the facts of the change over nor is it any of my business---but I do know that a site either pays for itself or the owners shut them down or sell them----now Tiger is trying to make the site pay for itself---even if it was given to him he still has to pay for bandwidth and that money has to come from somewhere---

Rabbit1
12-09-2005, 07:49 PM
I didn't mean to start a fire storm! But some of those images make me not want to read a hot story so I can cum!!!

And besides that ... where are the naked men with FFN??? Just asking ...

there have been several suggestions on how to avoid the Pictures in the ads I myself use an ad blocker ---but thats me---lol

Phantome
12-10-2005, 12:39 AM
Is it just coincidence, or do the ads advertise "meeting singles" in areas near or at where you live? How do they know?

Masters_lilone
12-30-2005, 01:25 PM
i think that if the ads have to stay on the site they should be changed to text ads like the ones at the bottom of the main page...not for nothing half of those banner ads make me want to barf...oh and no matter what i am still gonna come to the site and post sories and stuff

Dngnkeeper
12-31-2005, 08:45 AM
Adds hmmm. Oh those adds, I had forgotten all about them since I blocked them they day they appeared. ;)

So here is the skinny from the IT separtment. Stop using the nasty Internet Explorer as your browser. Its a BIG securiety hole among other things and it doesnt let you add features.

Run ovet to mozilla.org and get a copy of Firefox (http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/), its free, then you can add among other things Adblock. Then when you see things like this you can block them for good. Its a really handy tool and if you are on dial up can really spead up the pages as you dont have to download a bunch of crap just to get the goodies.

So take control of your computer and get control of whats desplayed on your screen.

Powerone
01-01-2006, 05:15 PM
If you have a firewall you can do the same thing. Put it in the blocked sites (by name or IP address). Just right click on the image, bring up properties and it will give you the web address for it. Just pop it into your firewall and they will forever disappear from view.

P!

I also noticed that they are all from New York area (at least on my computer even though I am in Ca.) Found a large number of them from Hastings on the River a town of only 8,000 people. Surprising that they would have so many girls willing to show their naked bodies on a dating site. LOL. Think maybe they reallly don't belong and they are ringers to get people to sign up.

master2slavesny
01-15-2006, 12:27 AM
Is it just coincidence, or do the ads advertise "meeting singles" in areas near or at where you live? How do they know?
It is not coincidence that they advertise singles in your area. They know your location from your ip address, just like anyone can know the location you are calling from if you are using a phone.

Tojo
03-08-2006, 08:07 PM
I was so intrigued by this thread I went & checked it out- you guys are dead right, they are truly gross pics!

All I can say is some guys are sure desperate! :rolleyes:

There's plenty of ways to avoid seeing them, some not mentioned in the thread....First & last time I've seen them.

As for the site admins taking them down, well- as if!

Tojo