PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Contest Forum

Rabbit1
12-16-2005, 06:41 AM
this forum was always here just previously used by the contest judges---Now it is open to all.

I would like to start contests going again but a little differently---

First of all ---the contests is for the forum only not the story page

Second --the winning story of a contest will be placed in a new Winners Forum

Third I want your ideas for a contest theme

Who will be the judges---All members will have a chance to vote on the entries in a poll----so it will not be limited to just a few judges

I will also tell you ---stories entered in the contest must stay within the rules such as no under 13 year old subjects in the stories in sexual situations

Also by entering a story in the contest ---you are giving the forum the right to post and maintain that story ----none will be removed unless they violate the forum rules.

I hope we can have some fun with this and also get some great stories--

Aesop
12-16-2005, 08:06 AM
Great!!

Here's a topical theme suggestion.;)

Ultra-conservative is forced to become part of a BDSM scene and ultimately can't get enough.

I'll post more if I think of any.

Nikita
12-16-2005, 10:53 AM
Also by entering a story in the contest ---you are giving the forum the right to post and maintain that story ----none will be removed unless they violate the forum rules.

I'd be one of the first to want to participate here, :D but...here are some questions?

1. What does that phrase mean "maintain that story?"

2. We cannot ask for it to be removed after a certain period of time?

3. Or not removed at all?

Some of us who post stories in various threads, also submit them to publications. Some clarification is needed. Don't you think?:confused:

Nikita

Rabbit1
12-16-2005, 04:07 PM
I'd be one of the first to want to participate here, :D but...here are some questions?

1. What does that phrase mean "maintain that story?"

2. We cannot ask for it to be removed after a certain period of time?

3. Or not removed at all?

Some of us who post stories in various threads, also submit them to publications. Some clarification is needed. Don't you think?:confused:

Nikita

I though I clarified that ---when I said none would be removed unless it borke the rules of the fourm

I would suggest that you do not seek publication of a story you submit here and I am only speaking of the contest Stories now ---I am not speaking of the story page ---that is the owners decision---this is mine----This is new and I wanted to be clear from the start on the contest rules.

Ranai
12-17-2005, 07:17 AM
'the contests is for the forum only not the story page' - Why?

It seems that this particular format would mean that authors are expected to put an effort into stories that can only be read by forum members and can never be considered for publication elsewhere because the usual removal option is missing. And de facto authors are asked to waive their copyright on said stories for no recompensation at all?

I would advise taking some more time.
Consult with authors around here. Ask them what they think, and what is important to them.

This is an extremely sensitive issue which touches the heart of a website dedicated to publishing fiction. It is not to be treated hastily or lightly. Making up rules off the cuff is counterproductive and achieves the contrary of the well-intended effect.

Please note that for writers, copyright issues are a red flag.

Thank you for putting thought and effort into this. Please take the time to listen and consider.

Rabbit1
12-17-2005, 09:19 AM
'the contests is for the forum only not the story page' - Why?

It seems that this particular format would mean that authors are expected to put an effort into stories that can only be read by forum members and can never be considered for publication elsewhere because the usual removal option is missing. And de facto authors are asked to waive their copyright on said stories for no recompensation at all?

I would advise taking some more time.
Consult with authors around here. Ask them what they think, and what is important to them.

This is an extremely sensitive issue which touches the heart of a website dedicated to publishing fiction. It is not to be treated hastily or lightly. Making up rules off the cuff is counterproductive and achieves the contrary of the well-intended effect.

Please note that for writers, copyright issues are a red flag.

Thank you for putting thought and effort into this. Please take the time to listen and consider.

Author's retain the copyright---they are free to post the contest story anywhere else they like-----I am just saying it will not be removed unless it has broken a forum rule---I am asking authors nothing---if they wish to participate they know up front ---that they are giving only non exclusive posting rights---They will always recieve credit for their story---there is a big difference between copyright and posting right---and the fourm is not asking for an exclusive posting right---this is fair---and I am considering posting the winning story on the front page---but all the voting and orginal posting will take place in the forum---if no authors are interested then we will not do it---simple thing--no big deal---enter only if you want to --if not less competition to those who choose to---like I said for the professional writters who wish to profit from their stories --do not use them---for the ones who write because they enjoy it and want to share with others ---this kind of thing tends to make better writers out of them.

it is your choice to participate or not --no one is forcing you to ---and you can not say that you did not know up front about the non removal rule, for the contest entrys

Aesop
12-17-2005, 10:37 PM
I've been doing a bit of research around the forums since I got the moderator job and there has been a long standing policy for moderators of not deleting any post on the forum unless it breaks a forum rule. This rule has been in effect since long before Tiger and Rabbit1 took over. So any story posted within the Story Contest forum falls under the same rules as any other post made on the forums.

I'd really like to see some participation in this from our members, so how about it? Got any theme ideas? :D

Ruby
12-18-2005, 02:58 AM
Got any theme ideas? :D

Hmmmm...

Ringing in the new year

On a cold winter's night

Decking the halls

woodsman'sgame
12-18-2005, 08:47 AM
If you give your work over to a real publisher, he retains all copyright to that work. You basically sell your story and lose the right to ever sell it again. One of the points in any publishing contract I have ever seen or signed is that you agree that the work will not be displayed anywhere else or sold to anyone else. If you publish a story on this forum and lose the right to remove it, you lose the opportunity to ever have it published. Let this serve as notice to anyone who is unfamiliar with publishing contracts who wishes to enter the contests.

Aesop
12-18-2005, 09:15 AM
If you give your work over to a real publisher, he retains all copyright to that work. You basically sell your story and lose the right to ever sell it again. One of the points in any publishing contract I have ever seen or signed is that you agree that the work will not be displayed anywhere else or sold to anyone else. If you publish a story on this forum and lose the right to remove it, you lose the opportunity to ever have it published. Let this serve as notice to anyone who is unfamiliar with publishing contracts who wishes to enter the contests.

That's very true. Thanks for letting everybody know that woodsman. If you think you're going to publish the story then it shouldn't go here. So let's have some fun with some stories we don't ever plan to publish.:D

Great ideas Ruby.:)

Mad Lews
12-18-2005, 10:32 AM
I've been doing a bit of research around the forums since I got the moderator job and there has been a long standing policy for moderators of not deleting any post on the forum unless it breaks a forum rule. This rule has been in effect since long before Tiger and Rabbit1 took over. So any story posted within the Story Contest forum falls under the same rules as any other post made on the forums.

I'd really like to see some participation in this from our members, so how about it? Got any theme ideas? :D
Fabled One,
I think the point would be that the Moderators couldn't arbitrarily delete a posting. I would think if the poster asked that one of their postings be removed for any of several legitimate reasons, it would be a request you might consider honoring. Otherwise people may grow hesitant about posting some of their more interesting stuff, Just a thought for the good of the forum.
Theme Ideas?
Worlds most wretched hangover... been that kind of a morning… what the Fu#@% it's afternoon?
Mad Lews

Rabbit1
12-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Fabled One,
I think the point would be that the Moderators couldn't arbitrarily delete a posting. I would think if the poster asked that one of their postings be removed for any of several legitimate reasons, it would be a request you might consider honoring. Otherwise people may grow hesitant about posting some of their more interesting stuff, Just a thought for the good of the forum.
Theme Ideas?
Worlds most wretched hangover... been that kind of a morning… what the Fu#@% it's afternoon?
Mad Lews

thanks Mad --but again this in not for the professional writter who wants to use the forum to polish his work. this is for the many amatures who just like to write stories and share them on a free forum---they are donating their stories just like the mods and admin are donating their time

I am only speaking of the contest forum now---I do not expect our Pro writters to enter---this gives the amatures a better chance to win a contest and build their skills.

so I urge only those who wish to share to enter---those who wish to sell ---please do not enter

This is very simple and so far I only hear concerns from the writers who wish to sell their stories.

to them all I can say is remember there was a time when you were an amature and could use help and support--now that you have moved upward and onward----you could support the amatures in this ---as proof readers and by voting on the polls when the entries have been set. Your comments on these stories and your honest review will be appreciated.

Mad Lews
12-18-2005, 03:57 PM
thanks Mad --but again this in not for the professional writter who wants to use the forum to polish his work. this is for the many amatures who just like to write stories and share them on a free forum---they are donating their stories just like the mods and admin are donating their time

I am only speaking of the contest forum now---I do not expect our Pro writters to enter---this gives the amatures a better chance to win a contest and build their skills.

so I urge only those who wish to share to enter---those who wish to sell ---please do not enter

This is very simple and so far I only hear concerns from the writers who wish to sell their stories.

to them all I can say is remember there was a time when you were an amature and could use help and support--now that you have moved upward and onward----you could support the amatures in this ---as proof readers and by voting on the polls when the entries have been set. Your comments on these stories and your honest review will be appreciated.

Greetings briar Rabbit,:)
I was simply responding to Aesops observations about deleting posts in the forum and what moderators can and can't do. Perhaps it doesn't belong in the contest forum but that's where it came up.:(
I'm just saying there may be a number of reasons to ask a moderator to delete an entry. Your friend or Lover doesn't want her name used. You accidentally posted the pin code to your secrete Swiss bank account etc. I really wasn't specifically addressing artist copyright concerns, HONEST.
And for the record I am an amateur with only a few pretentious aspirations.:D
Yours very truely
Mad Lews

Rabbit1
12-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Greetings briar Rabbit,:)
I was simply responding to Aesops observations about deleting posts in the forum and what moderators can and can't do. Perhaps it doesn't belong in the contest forum but that's where it came up.:(
I'm just saying there may be a number of reasons to ask a moderator to delete an entry. Your friend or Lover doesn't want her name used. You accidentally posted the pin code to your secrete Swiss bank account etc. I really wasn't specifically addressing artist copyright concerns, HONEST.
And for the record I am an amateur with only a few pretentious aspirations.:D
Yours very truely
Mad Lews

hey Mad

in the cases mentioned above we will edit out the information for you---just in the past from what I understand there was a rash of deleting threads that some mod or admin deemed unnessary any longer---that will not be the case.

And yes I have deleted a post---at the request of the member who posted it and I have a PM message to back it up---as to why it was deleted---

but this is a moderation rule ---so mods do not just start deleting old threads or ones they do not like---I would rather see threads edited ---even spam threads unless they start really cluttering up the forum.

Rabbit1
12-19-2005, 09:11 AM

you are quite right Woodsman---and in effect when you enter a story in the contest, we are publishing it. But unlike your getting paid for the story ---we do not ask for exclusive publishing rights--you are free to post the story anywhere else you like. In exchange for publishing your story so it is exposed to many people--all we ask is the right to maintain it. This helps the amature writter get his work exposed, and keeps interesting stories on the board for new readers.

That is why I say the contests are not for the professional writters who wish to sell their stories. If you plan to sell your story take heed of Woodman's warning---do not enter it in the story contests.

Now that this has been explained to death ---I hope we can get on with some contests.

maddie
06-13-2006, 06:51 AM
I would like to propose a theme for a future story contest:

A woman (of legal age, naturally) ends up in the home of a not-so-very-good man. She is totally inexperienced and he teaches her (in whatever manner you prefer). She can submit willingly or unwillingly; your choice.

Qmoq
07-07-2006, 09:09 AM
I'd quite like to see a convincing story of a switch relationship - too often a story is 100% M/f or 100% F/m - either is good but the occasional switcheroo might be fun. Say, for instance, a guy submits to a gal, but then realises that it is more natural for him to be the dominant, so the tables are turned... that sort of thing would be fun to read...

...but it'd be a bugger to write.

Q

Curious George
07-12-2006, 06:10 PM
So are contests announced with a deadline etc just like any regular contest? If so when is the next one scheduled for?

Silke
07-12-2006, 06:18 PM
Yup, the contests usually last a month and I'm pretty sure the next one is just around the corner...or at least I hope so. Just love reading the stories...:D

The announcement is going to be in this forum, so just keep an eye out for it, George. :)

maddie
07-20-2006, 06:17 AM
Um.....is it reasonable for me to point out that it's July 20 and we haven't had a July story contest posted yet?

Aesop
07-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Very reasonable. The new contest will be posted by Monday.

TheKnothead
08-12-2006, 04:44 PM
I'd quite like to see a convincing story of a switch relationship - too often a story is 100% M/f or 100% F/m - either is good but the occasional switcheroo might be fun. Say, for instance, a guy submits to a gal, but then realises that it is more natural for him to be the dominant, so the tables are turned... that sort of thing would be fun to read...

...but it'd be a bugger to write.

Q

...I really like the sound of this one... and agree it'd be tough to write, but a hell of a lot of fun to too!

TKH

NightNurse
07-18-2007, 08:41 PM
I recently saw a picture that was the subject of a story contest here.. Now I have this story rattling around in my head and I can't find the post! Was it an old post that I failed to note the date on? Or... did I dream it?

Rhabbi
07-19-2007, 07:21 AM
I guess that depends on what the picture was. the most recent pics that were used for contest themes are here: http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8463. If the one you are thinking of is not there, I guess you will have to give a bit more info.