PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your Stories?

ozgreg
07-15-2003, 01:32 AM
Hiya All,

Being a bit of an author myself I have had the pleasure of writing both long and short stories..

The question is what does the average reader really want?

[list=1]
A long story (10000 words or more)
Average Story (4000+ words)
Multiple Part Story (4000+ words per Part)
Short story to the point? (Roughly 2000-3000 words)
[/list=1]

siroco222003
07-15-2003, 05:40 AM
I could say:
if its no good then as short as posible
if it is good then never end......

however, I like 'em both long and short.

The Fetish Shop is a tiny gem.......

The Smell of Sex (S_Couture) is long and good.

Even Ponygirls get the Blues (Aurelius) is long and getting longer (more Auri, more!)

what can I say?

S.

S_Couture
07-15-2003, 10:55 AM
A story should be as long as it takes to get the point across. There's nothing worse that a long story that goes nowhere. A short story either for that matter.

Here's a 600 word story. I had to sacrifice a good deal, but even still, it does go somewhere.

Frosting by Couture

(An appetizer for my sexy friend. Loved the pictures!)

(FF, food, humiliation)

Flash Fiction 600 words

Look Susan, I made your favorite. A brownie sundae to celebrate your new boyfriend!

Me mad? Hell, no. I've been trying to get rid of that inconsiderate bastard for weeks. What? You don't
trust me? I'm hurt. Here, I'll take a bite the first bite.

Mmmmmmm, good.

See? I told you it was good. Eat up. Us girls got to stick together. Anyway, you would have backed off if
I'd asked.

Right?

Another fight with Mike, huh? Look, I baked a cake to cheer you up. No, you keep it. I insist.

You've been lying in bed all day. What's wrong sweetie? He broke up with you? Said you were fat?
That bastard! I told you he was a no good inconsiderate bastard. You're better off without him.

Here. Look what I brought to cheer you up. Your favorite. Oh don't be like that. You know you want
some. Here comes the airplane zooommmm. Open wide for landing. Mmmmm, good. Feeling
better already aren't you pumpkin?

Look what I baked. Cake! No, don't get up. I'll feed you sweetie.

What am I doing? It's been six months since you broke up with Mike. And you know full well it's not the
same with your own fingers. Relax.

Besides, you're wet. You know you want it.

Just relax and leave it all up to me.

That's it. That's it. Just go with it. Shush baby, you're making too much noise. Open wide. I'm going to
stick that whole fucking cake inside right inside your mouth. Goddamn, you're sexy like that. Lick my
fingers. Do it!

That's a girl, just lay there and let me climb on top. You big soft pillow. Look, I brought you
something new to eat.

What? Bitch! You weren't complaining when you were squirming on my fingers last night. Well, fuck
you then. Let's see who else will bother with a girl your size.

Oh don't cry Susie. I'm not leaving. Here, I'll even make it easy for you. A little icing and
voila', chocolate covered pussy. Yummy!

Oh fuck! Who would have ever thought? Susan Powers – pudgy-pussy-licker. Ugh, that's it. Eat it. Eat my fucking pussy. Suck my clit! Hard! Goddamn.

Coming.

Your turn? I just did you last week, remember?

Besides, I’m not gay so I don’t lick.

Oh you're not, huh? Coulda' fooled me.

Fine bitch, I'm leaving. Find somebody else to get you off.

There, I knew you'd see it my way. Besides, I have a surprise for you tonight. Just let me get settled on top.

Oh pumpkin, you have the softest tongue. You were made for this. Not queer? Puh-leaze!

What's wrong baby? You don't like my surprise?

You better shut the up and let me talk or I'm outta here - forever.

Look, you've been with me *and* you've been with Mike. This is the same thing, only this time I was
with Mike first. Don't cry, goddamnit, if anyone is crying it oughtta' be me. I doing this for you, you fat
bitch!

Oh stop crying. I didn't mean that.

Really. You're not fat, just pleasingly plump.

Oh stop. You're a pretty little girl. Honest.

Here, is that better? There, just relax and let Becky's fingers make it all better. You big faker - you're
wet.

Come on – my turn now. Just a taste. For me? Please? That's my girl. You can do me *after* every time..

Humiliating? Puh-leaze.

Just think of it as

Frosting.

BDSM_Tourguide
07-15-2003, 11:27 AM
Gosh, Couture, you sure do know how to make things interesting.

siroco222003
07-15-2003, 01:53 PM
is even better than coffee in the morning.

In the Literary sense, I mean. The other sense I've never experienced, nor frankly am I ever likely to. :( Here on the fly and in miniature is exhibited S_Couture's wicked imagination making its own special combonation of the humorous, and the erotic.......

which is enjoyed greatly by

Sirocco

Harold
07-15-2003, 02:39 PM
For me, length isn't really the primary consideration. The length depends on the nature of the story. Many of the stories posted here tend to be about a single sexual encounter between two
individuals. Going over 10,000 words on this type of story is probably overdoing it. My own preference is to read (and write) longer stories with multiple characters and which cover a greater period of time than a single sex act.

It's been my experience, however, that you'll have more readers if you post your stories in segments. A 200 KB story won't get as many downloads as a 30 KB story, so don't post a long one all at once.

In general, though, I think readers pay more attention to the story codes and synopsis than to the length. Maybe we should start a thread on how to write a good synopsis. It's certainly one of my weak points. (There's already a thread on story codes--or at least there was. I haven't looked at it lately.)

Lastly, inspired by Couture, I submit my own very short story (250 words).

It was not surprising that Ann was one of the most popular girls at Deep Discount Community College. Her long blond hair framed a classic oval face with high cheek bones and a slender neck surmounting a chest of truly noble proportions.

Ann was on her way to class. Propelled by her long, slender stocking clad legs, her 38D breasts preceded her into the classroom. As she entered the room, she noticed some of the rowdier boys in the back of the room snickering. She thought she knew the cause of their mirth. Ann's pubic area was 55% shaved, as was every other woman's these days. This was the result of new legislation, passed after extensive lobbying by the cosmetics industry, who hoped to expand their market for products to maintain this condition.

Ann was not entirely happy about this state of affairs, but the law was the law. Besides, she had already been stopped once by the pubic police and found to be out of compliance, with only 46% shaved. Justice had been swift and certain. Ann was handcuffed, bent over the hood of the squad car, and soundly spanked.

Although the spanking had been painful, Ann was always one to look on the bright side. She was glad that it had been a B&D crew that had administered her punishment. Had it been an incest squad, her father would surely have learned of her transgression. She didn't even want to think about the canine patrol...

Curtis
10-18-2003, 09:34 AM
People who can write short-shorts absolutely amaze me. Two really good stories here.

Escritor
10-20-2003, 09:26 AM
I don't like really loooooong stories. I'll rather read an average one or a multipart one with each chapter being of average length.

Regards

Harold
10-20-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by slvWriting
I don't like really loooooong stories. I'll rather read an average one or a multipart one with each chapter being of average length.

How long is "average"? Since I tend to write longer stories more often than not, what size chunks should I post them in to appeal to you as a reader? Lately my target has been about 50k per episode, but maybe even that's too large.

For my own part, I tend to be put off by the very short postings (10 to 15k). That's hardly enough to bother with and if I do find such a short posting of interest it's always frustrating that there's so little of it.

slavelucy
10-20-2003, 10:54 AM
....but Harold, i love your avatar - LOL!!! :)

sl

Aurelius
10-20-2003, 11:07 AM
I also like Harold's avatar. It's just a shame there's a guy with a drill trying to get into it.

I agree with Harold regarding chunk size. 10k is only about 5 minute's reading time I guess. It's better I think to produce something that a reader knows will keep him/her occupied for the next 20-30 minutes. Ok, so the updates may be less frequent but at least each chapter constitutes more than a little nibble of the story.

(My most recent chapter was a little one, but normal size will be resumed shortly.)

Curtis
10-20-2003, 06:11 PM
Good one, Aurelius!

I also agree with Harold, and I don't find 50k too big a bite. I usually have to stop and think about available time if I see an 80+k, but 35-65 is comfortable for me.

Fox
10-21-2003, 09:10 AM
that there are at least two threads devoted to the length of the story ...

which is made amusing by the fact that other than the luscious slavelucy, all respondents on this thread appear to be male ... and other than the wondrous woodsman'sgame, all respondents on the OTHER thread are also male ...

Coincidence?

BDSM_Tourguide
10-21-2003, 10:05 AM
When you look at the number of male vs female visitors to this site, it seems sort of a matter of common sense that about one respondant in twenty is female.

Since, technically, this site is an erotica site, there are going to be abundantly more male members than female ones at all times.

I have, however, noticed that females are more likely to leave feedback to a story and to send email commenting on the story.

woodsman'sgame
10-21-2003, 12:25 PM
Just writing a response to even up the numbers and give slavelucy some company.
The length of the story makes no difference to me, Content is all that matters.
This answer should suffice for both threads. We need to be more efficient here, guys.

cyndylu
10-21-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by woodsman'sgame
Just writing a response to even up the numbers and give slavelucy some company.
This answer should suffice for both threads. We need to be more efficient here, guys.

AMEN!

Escritor
10-21-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Harold
How long is "average"? Since I tend to write longer stories more often than not, what size chunks should I post them in to appeal to you as a reader? Lately my target has been about 50k per episode, but maybe even that's too large.

For my own part, I tend to be put off by the very short postings (10 to 15k). That's hardly enough to bother with and if I do find such a short posting of interest it's always frustrating that there's so little of it.

I think I'll read a story that is in the range of 12k~25k.
Longer stories I usually download them to my hard drive and try to find the time to read them. Or read them by chapter or parts.
Shorter stories just don't appeal to me.

Regards

Master_chris
10-22-2003, 11:17 AM
I like a story, which has multiple sections, But each sections has it own story, with a main theme running though out. ;)

slavelucy
10-22-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by woodsman'sgame

Agreed woodsman's game - stories are good or bad based nearly entirely on their content - although (and god knows i don't want to be responsible for setting off these inefficient men again - LOL), i do think that content type and consequent overall quality of the story depends very much on whether the right content has been used to match the story length (that possibly makes no sense - sorry!).

sl

P.S. For Fox - been following the footy much lately??