PDA

View Full Version : A Question/Problem

Ozme52
01-30-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm suddenly, apparently, being logged off between reading a post and writing a response... or between reading two posts sequentially. This has happened over the last two days... with a minute of logging on for the first time in the day.

Once it happens, it recurrs several times as I browse the forum.

Any ideas as to why or what I might do to eliminate the problem (a cookie issue?)

Aesop
01-31-2006, 05:44 AM
It could be. Are you using Firefox? Try clearing your cookies before you log in.

Ozme52
01-31-2006, 09:31 PM
Nope... it began Friday and seems (so far) to have stopped yesterday. Maybe a bandwidth problem at the server?

Rabbit1
02-01-2006, 03:46 AM
so far you are the only one complaining of this problem ---as far as I know the server has been running pretty smooth..did you update your fire wall or something----check your privacy setting and make sure your browser is set to accept all cookies

Ozme52
02-01-2006, 10:34 PM
nope... and it is no longer occurring. This happened to another board I was on, same software (or so I judge by the look/feel) and occurred duing server maintenance which was later backed out....

but don't fret about it. It seems to be done and over with... (and no, I didn't make any changes at my end,) so it was likely a transient problem.

Thanx for the feedback though.

sujet
02-08-2006, 05:12 AM
... the tech walks in...

She looks over at the frustrated PC owner and asks him, "Mister have you spy, viral, chkdsk'ed, defraged and done your crit updates?"

PC owner looks around bewildered, "Uh ya I think so."

She turns and leaves while saying, "Don't call again until you know for sure."

MUHAHAHAHA

Ok, we had this same issue happening on my forums I run. There are a few issues that can cause it.

-Forums maintenace.
-Administration updating definitions to the software.
-ISP on your side not resolving,
-The domain provider is doing something whacked on their side.
-Spyware/viral/firewall changes
-MS crits changing something.
-Someone else logging into the same forum with a different user. This problem is common in a multi user household all using the same User/Log-on to the computer and your computer goes "UMM WAIT! Who is this!" This was referred to as "Cookie confusion" on my forums LOL Windows XP crits did fix this a while back though. :)

The most common problem is the domain provider and the issue usually clears within a day or so. We had this problem with ours and I was on the phone with the domain provider for an hour until they figured out it was THEM and not something I had done to the site. However, doing a good maintenance check on your system is always a grand idea anyway. :)

I know the thread is a tad old by a eight days, but maybe it will help someone else :)

Ozme52
02-08-2006, 10:22 PM
nyah nyah told ya so. LOL

Rabbit1
02-09-2006, 06:05 AM
nyah nyah told ya so. LOL

they must be out to get you ---lol as you were the only one reporting such a problem---damn them

Oh well we will fix them :gun:

Ozme52
02-10-2006, 10:40 AM
heh heh. just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.

If you've ever worked in a mainframe environment... you can't help but sometimes wonder if someone's not messing with you... because that all can't be a coincidence. LOL

Dick the Slaver
02-10-2006, 04:48 PM
I get error everytime I click on the stories posted on Feb 9th. Something wrong with the system?

Rabbit1
02-10-2006, 06:59 PM
I get error everytime I click on the stories posted on Feb 9th. Something wrong with the system?

not to my knowledge I just went back and checked them and they all came up for me

:ra

Dick the Slaver
02-11-2006, 04:42 AM
The story "Recruiting Victoria" does not come up when you hit "part 1, 2, 3, 4" You get a warning. Part 5 should have been added on Feb 9.

Rabbit1
02-11-2006, 08:29 AM
The story "Recruiting Victoria" does not come up when you hit "part 1, 2, 3, 4" You get a warning. Part 5 should have been added on Feb 9.

that is because the author redid the story and put it all in one part and had me remove the other parts ---it is all in part 00---but I am not going to spend alot of time editing the other page since the new software is now being migrated into the system---would just be a big waste of time

sorry for the confusion

Tojo
03-09-2006, 05:05 AM
I had a problem a few times, trying to reply to a post & being logged off by the time I hit 'submit'. Just in the last few days.

Also, while we're picking on you guys, why isn't 'allow PMs' a default setting, like on other forums? I've seen a lot of new people having probs getting PMs to work.

I've decided this place is worth supporting, just have to get a few bugs sorted out now. :hubba:

Tojo

Aesop
03-09-2006, 10:47 AM
I had a problem a few times, trying to reply to a post & being logged off by the time I hit 'submit'. Just in the last few days.

Also, while we're picking on you guys, why isn't 'allow PMs' a default setting, like on other forums? I've seen a lot of new people having probs getting PMs to work.

I've decided this place is worth supporting, just have to get a few bugs sorted out now. :hubba:

Tojo

The first problem happens to a lot of us. Try clearing your cookies before logging in and if that doesn't work open up a new window or tab with the Who's Online page. That page auto-refreshes once a minute or so and will keep you logged in. I believe the pm's are set that way so our new members aren't bombarded with pm's when they sign up unless they choose to be.

Oh and I'm so glad we've met with your approval. ;)

Tojo
03-09-2006, 03:33 PM
Thanks Aesop- wish I'd read that first...just spent time writing a lovely reply to a PM & got cut off & lost it.
I'll try those tricks as I try & remember what I wrote. I always delete my cookies every morning b4 logging on.

Oh and I'm so glad we've met with your approval.

Hey I hope you realise how privileged you guys are to come up to my high expectations! :hubba:
Don't let it go to your head...:)

Tojo

Tojo
03-14-2006, 08:37 PM
There seems to be a time out thing on this forum. Is there a setting somewhere we can change so we don't get cut off?

I take so long to make a post sometimes, I have to log on again- a real pain.

Tojo

Ozme52
03-15-2006, 06:04 PM
Toj,

I was having the same problem... but I found that on THIS forum, if you time out, if you use the proffered sign-in opportunity, it WILL complete your post and will let you continue. So you don't have to lose your golden words.

A small consolation but it beats starting over. LOL

Rabbit1
03-16-2006, 02:07 AM
Toj,

I was having the same problem... but I found that on THIS forum, if you time out, if you use the proffered sign-in opportunity, it WILL complete your post and will let you continue. So you don't have to lose your golden words.

A small consolation but it beats starting over. LOL

the time outs are all part of the server load problem ---which was supposed to be completed by now ---but we are at the mercy of the programmer that was hired to do this ---

Ozme52
03-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Damn programmers!!!!

LOL, I usta be one!

Rabbit1
03-17-2006, 07:13 AM
Damn programmers!!!!

LOL, I usta be one!

Oh no not a damn programmer----so you know that unforeseen problems do occur and the best laid plans do go haywire----LOL

It is a hard transformation from a completely different format to bring the old data base into the new format without loosing any data. So I guess we just have to grin and bear it. :278:

Tojo
03-17-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks for that guys, I'll try that trick thanks Ozme. No probs, if it can't be changed I'm sure we can live with it- what I do is copy my post b4 I hit 'submit reply'- it's when I try to submit the post I find I'm off.

Course I could just hurry up & make the damn post I guess, instead of waffling on so much....:)

Tojo