PDA

View Full Version : Attention AOL users

Rabbit1
02-04-2006, 04:34 PM
I am getting alot of emails from AOL users having problems accessing the site- Well AOL has upgraded their protection --- and it seems to be filtering out alot of adult sites---I can only suggest that you download a free browser such as Firefox and after loging in on AOL you switch to the other browser and access the site---This has seem to work after I have suggested to several AOL users----

if any current members who are AOL user know of another way please feel free to leave a reply

:ra

davesmistress
06-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Well I was having that trouble, then I used the shortcut links on the sister forum, it brought up the main page.

I clicked on the forum and when that sign in page came up I added it to my AOL carousel toolbar.

Now I can just click that and it brings me directly here.

Hopes this works well for others.

Scorpio'sWill2Power
06-01-2006, 06:33 PM
I've seen the same thing happen as well but it in my case
it was a redirect by AOL when trying to access only this
particular site. Most likely triggered by the BDSM portion
of the site url.

Even a few times using the shortcuts placed on our sister
sites it threw over to that redirect as well.

So far I've taken the same tact as loverofsubmen has and it's been
working pretty well.

Too very solid suggestions on both your parts and much
appreciated.

I know there's a certain amount of responsiblity on the part of
internet providers to keep things safe for minors but by and
large the overall policing should be done on the home front.

I don't even want to get started on this bone of contention!!!

_ID_
06-01-2006, 10:52 PM
How about.... now this is a bit radical... dump AOL.

Scorpio'sWill2Power
06-02-2006, 01:45 AM
:ty
That option is getting to be more appealing all the time.

With the cost having gone up and them acting as the
moral compass for it's membership I'm leaning toward another
provider for sure.

_ID_
06-02-2006, 07:56 AM
For the life of me I don't understand why people use AOL. There are so many choices out there. The local providers always my first choice, most of them don't want to install software on your computer, but will do so to make things easier for you. You only need to know a few simple steps to make a dial-up connection work, and normally the technical support of the ISP will give you this information as you sign up, or if you try and call them when your sitting in front of the computer, they will give you the information you need.

If you use windows (since most of the english speeking people do). You just goto my network places, create a new network connection. Follow the prompts.

You will need three vital pieces of info.

1. Login name & password.
2. TCP/IP address.
3. DNS address.

With those three pieces of info, you can be on the net without installing any additional software to bog down your computer.

AOL is very advertising intensive, having little pop-ups in all these little places to try and sell you crap you probably don't want or need. When I hear about people on AOL and I ask them why, their reply... and this always makes me shake my head in pity... is "it was easy". To me the initial difficulty of not having someone's software on my computer that I have no desire to have there, far out weighs the ease of sign up, and being told what I can and can't look at on the internet. There are legal restrictions for very few items that the internet provides, those legal barriers I feel are more than enough.

If AOL works for you, enjoy. If you get frustrated by it, why are you still using it, and paying them money to be a crappy company?

V/R
ID

Timberwolf
07-12-2006, 04:59 PM
I think I was on AOL's internet service for about a month. That was more than enough.

I do like their instant messenger a great deal, but otherwise... no.

Curious George
07-12-2006, 05:10 PM

They don't call it A-Oh-Hell for nothing! ;)

And while you're at it, dump Windows - Follow the Penguin, Linux rocks! We surf in safety and laugh in the face of viruses, trojans and worms Muh haw haw haw haw haw haw...

wingsofanangel
07-12-2006, 05:14 PM
usually its okay for me but the past few days the page will not load. I recommed IE... -shrug-

Sera

_ID_
07-12-2006, 05:52 PM
I recommed IE... -shrug-
Normally I recommend FireFox. However I must make one single exception to my standard. If you use the chat room, IE works better than FF. It's a simple matter function for the chat room. I prefer FF over IE due to its lower attack rate from those looking to cause havoc for the rest of us, and the tabbed browsing option.

I considered using linux at one time, however I am not skilled enough in computer languages to feel I could use it, and be confident in my administration of the program. I do agree that if you have the skills, linux is a very good option.

V/R
ID

Curious George
07-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Try "Xandros", it's Linux straight out of the box, installs as easy as Windoze

_ID_
07-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Easier than Red Hat (was the best last time I looked into linux. years ago)?

Rabbit1
07-13-2006, 02:30 AM
this thread was meant to help the poor AOL users not bash AOL---I only used AOL about a week before I decided I did not like it ---but there are many people who do ---so lets save the space and try to help those people who do like it

_ID_
07-13-2006, 02:50 AM
<-- Waits for questions from those who like AOL.

Silke
07-13-2006, 07:55 AM
Lol, I don't like it but I'm still using it...probably laziness *shrugs*. ;)

YourThrone
07-27-2006, 08:23 PM
I'm a AOL user, Only problem I had thus far was when I first registered, had trouble logging in. I use IE to access this site anyhow.

Charlie Brown 169
10-30-2006, 11:36 PM
I am getting alot of emails from AOL users having problems accessing the site- Well AOL has upgraded their protection --- and it seems to be filtering out alot of adult sites---I can only suggest that you download a free browser such as Firefox and after loging in on AOL you switch to the other browser and access the site---This has seem to work after I have suggested to several AOL users----

if any current members who are AOL user know of another way please feel free to leave a reply

:ra

i have experienced same thing with AOL. But other browsers such as foxfire, google, yahoo and msn all work well with bdsm.

Thorne
01-31-2007, 12:00 PM
I no longer use AOL, but when I first got online I started with AOL. I think its a good ISP for beginners who don't know anything about computers or the Internet. It has some built in protections and I liked the idea of setting up separate screen names for my kids, with parental controls. (That means YOU have to control your kids' access, Parents! Not easy when they usually know more about the damned machines than we do!)
As I learned more about the internet, and about computers in general, and as my kids got old enough to be given more freedom, I switched over to high speed, and have never looked back. But for newbies I still think AOL is a good place to start. You can even get high speed AOL.

mkemse
01-31-2007, 04:47 PM
As I understand it, AOL is NOT and ISP but rather a gateway, and in the past they have been known to filter anything they feel is inapproriate for their member to see or you, I called them on this and told them I am a consenting adult well over 21 and I do not need nor want me ISP telling me what site i can and can not go to by their ploicy, to which at the time I was told by then, "Well then by all means find another ISP" I did and no problems since

daddiebear50
08-08-2007, 10:48 AM
AOL's new business policy, to allow you to leave and keep e-mail and IM account, by their own admission will cost them half the subscriber base, A great busines decision.
Seems it would have been wiser to cut the price in half and triple their subscriber count. But them I've been turn down for management more than once for my radical ideas.