PDA

View Full Version : A question about my story

petashley
07-27-2003, 06:50 AM
i would like some advice about the format of my story "Kelly's Slave". The plan is for it to cover the whole four years of college, although at my current rate that may take four years itself.

Anyway, i've only submitted the first year's worth of chapters, and the story is already 230K long. My question is whether i should make it one extremely long story, or break it up into separate stories, kind of like sequels, one for each school year and one for each summer.

My concern is that really long stories can be kind of hard to dive into for a new reader, so i'd appreciate any feedback.

ashley

redEva
07-27-2003, 07:45 AM
but as far as im concerned – yes, break it! i prefer having smaller bits of reading material at the time. just as long as it is plain that it is sequel – so there is no trouble finding the continuation of the story one likes :)

Mobius
07-27-2003, 01:44 PM
But make sure the title reflects the overall story.

On a side note I like the story and have been following it. But it could be a little more extreem.
It is a little on the vinela side at the moment.
Consider doing something permentant. Some thing shocking.
besides the tipicaly big boobs a tatoo or branding her. Putting rings in the nipples, yawn.

Make her submision more perment. have her sign over her life to Kelly sign a power of attorney or fake her death then remove her identity. make her a non person. Remove her fingerprints, alter her aperence. Then after the school When kelly is done with her she can sell her to white slavers

just a thought like the story and will continue to follow it
BBeale

veru_skjava
07-27-2003, 02:55 PM
Yes, you are correct, an extremely long story is hard for new readers to consider.

I have been editing a number of very good authors on this site for over a year. In that time, the one thing that I believe makes them all so good, is the ability to break into sequels at the right time.

nice sugestions beale ;)

just my two cents.

veru ;)

Aurelius
07-27-2003, 04:58 PM
230k?

I'll have just started to reach the plot by then. (Currently at 370k)
Boccaccio will still be on the introduction. ;)

There's a lot of good, long stories on the site. Why not join them?

I calculate 230k is about 70 paperback pages, (bbeale7 can confirm). That's not so long if it is a good read, which yours most certainly is.

As a reader, I'd rather spend time reading something I enjoy than looking for something else to read.

veru_skjava
07-27-2003, 05:10 PM
clariication...

I in NO way meant to imply that 230k was getting up there, no no no, giglges

*winks* @ Aurelius Sir... Your stories are wonderfuly times, and have great "meat" on the bones, same with Boccaccio Sir..

hoping my point was not "lost" in my comment.

:) :) smiles all cute like hoping to make the innocent look more compelling then my "duh" :) :)

giggles :p

veru:o

petashley
07-28-2003, 06:18 AM
i didn't mean to imply that there is anything wrong with longer stories. i just know that given the gaps of time that have occurred between my postings, it might be hard to remember what happened previously.

i thought that by splitting them up into separate stories it might make things a little bit easier for people to go back and review if they needed or wanted to remind themselves what was going on.

bbeale, i appreciate the suggestions, but since this story is largely autobiographical, the events are pretty much predetermined. i would like to write a story about a more extreme slavery, and might make that my next project, if i ever finish this one.

ashley

Mobius
07-28-2003, 11:26 AM
I have sat and read 5-6 mb worth of word documents in a sitting.
A long sitting but a sitting none the less.

Thank you for considering my meager suggestions. If you have already outlined what is going to happen fine great I look forward to reading it.

I am a very avid ready so far I am following what is going on with capturing carol (she is not captured yet) Spread em (not spread enough so far) and all the other serial titles each week with great antisipation. So do not run out of steam keep going.

The one thing that I notice in allot of this storys is after a strong start they start to get a little pettered out. Plots start repeating.

Please do not beafread to interduce a new cariter. maybe "Wonda the Wonten Harlet" just a thought.

Kostly
07-28-2003, 03:03 PM
What is the URL for this story... I did a search and couldnt find it:(
'Update:
I found it, after searching your name...

I am very familiar with your story... it is REALLY good, and one of my favorites.

I warn you about doing TOO much with one set of characters, unless your purpose is to create more then just an errotic story and is to spend ALLOT of time dealing with character development out side of SEXUAL BDSM LIFE.
Currentlyu I am at part 3 in it... (I read slowly over time) and I like what I see... So I am unsure how your story progresses...

If you need an example of a story that is growing almost too large, go to one of my favorite "Spread them" and take a look at the responses.

You and this writer are Excellent writers. I try to be that good. I would just hope that you spend more time on a verietty of situations and people then focusing your talent on one...

With that said, "Spread them" may also benifit from beign broken into 2 stories with different titles... That way it wouldnt be so daunting when they switch characters. And the stories are really seperate anyways.

boccaccio2000g
07-28-2003, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aurelius
[B]230k?

I'll have just started to reach the plot by then. (Currently at 370k)
Boccaccio will still be on the introduction. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Moi?

I am shocked, SHOCKED to be the victim of such an unfair calumny.

I have posted three stories here. One is 35k and one is 40k.

Of course there IS that one little miniature of 1453k with no end in sight ... ;-)

Boccaccio

veru_skjava
07-28-2003, 05:44 PM
Laughing @ Boccacio Sir.

yeah just that lil mini story saga you've got going Sir...

hehehe

(OK you can tell I'm in a "mood")

;) :p veru :p ;)