PDA

View Full Version : Is she afraid of losing control?

submissivewife
04-19-2006, 08:10 PM
This is a very interesting read. I found this at another site I am a member of and wanted to bring this here.....

Is she afraid of losing control? Topping from the bottom?

Several months ago, a reader wrote to me to say that a fledgling relationship has just ended because the man expected what he called “submission” (unquestioning obedience) from almost the first meeting. This reader is desperate to be taken in hand, seems to have a very warm heart, and is clearly very intelligent, but none of that made any difference to the man. If she wanted him to be in charge, he said, she should stop “topping from the bottom” and “just obey”.

The reader liked my reply so much that she suggested I post it for others to read. This piece is based on that message.

What the reader's new man didn't have (apart from common decency and civility) was an understanding that relationships do not spring into life ready-formed: they have to be created. Relationships arise out of the wishes, ideas and values of the two individuals and through their interactions together. Each relationship starts from nothing and develops and evolves over time, changing each individual, which changes the interactions, and changes the relationship. There is no shortcut for that process, and there is no recipe.

If you have a fixed idea of what the relationship must look like, and then expect the other person simply to step into the role and read the script you have written, you are not interested in creating a real relationship, you are asking the other person to act a part in a badly-written play. Whilst it can be fun to act in a play sometimes, the idea of spending one's entire life over and over again playing the same role in the same play is, I'd say, decidedly unappealing.

Would you want someone prepared to do that? Wouldn't you find that a little... worrying? What kind of person would want to play a lifeless stereotypical pre-written role in your play, when he or she could instead create a dynamic, vibrant, ever-evolving, endlessly fascinating, fruitful real relationship? Wouldn't that raise the question in your mind: does this person have anything to offer? and a whole host of other questions?

It may be fine to read someone else's script in a scene of limited duration. But a Taken In Hand relationship is not just a scene, and not just an unending scene either. It is qualitatively different. It is no surprise to me that the very experienced owner of an SM dungeon said that Taken In Hand is the scariest thing she has ever heard of. Handing over real power to another is dangerous. And the more power a woman might want to hand over eventually, the more dangerous it is for her.

Even in a conventional relationship, the early stages of the process of creating a relationship will not and cannot look like a well-established relationship. That is all the more so in a Taken In Hand relationship. A woman wanting to give considerable power to the man needs to check very carefully and thoroughly that the man she is getting to know is worthy of the power he will have. It would be foolhardy to hand over unlimited power to a man you barely know! Be realistic!

At the beginning, the two people need to do a vast amount of talking, negotiating, and questioning, to make sure that they are actually compatible. You need to know that you probably aren't going to end up in several pieces in the freezer. It takes time for an individual's true colours to show, and it is completely unreasonable to expect the other person to pretend that you have already established that you are compatible, decent, and worth the risk.

The woman needs to know that it will be possible for both to be happy in the relationship. She needs to know that the relationship will be compatible with and supportive of the growth, development and endless improvement of both individuals. She needs to know that the relationship will be able to withstand major as well as minor problems that will inevitably crop up. She needs to know that the relationship will have the problem-solving institutions necessary to address and resolve problems. She needs to know that the man does not merely say that he believes himself to be fallible, but acts as though he believes himself to be fallible. If he treats every problem or disagreement as a power struggle or insubordination, he is acting as though he is infallible, and until he stops reacting like that, he is never going to be anything other than an abuser. The woman needs to know that he will listen to her rather than silencing her with complaints of “topping from the bottom”. She needs to know that he will care about her needs and wishes in the relationship rather than be a self-serving megalomaniac. She needs to know that if or when she reaches the point where she can never bring herself to disobey him, he will not abuse that power.

The correct attitude to the woman's questioning, raising problems, seeking discussion on anything that is troubling her, is to welcome it, not accuse her of “topping from the bottom” or “controlling with complaints”. If a man expects perfection or the absence of any problems to resolve, that kind of disconnect with reality is, or should be, a red flag to the woman.

The more power the woman is prepared, eventually, to hand over to the man, the more vital this process is, and the more important it is that the man demonstrates that he is a reasonable, calm, decent fellow who will not abuse his power. If he acts as though the woman's happiness is irrelevant, her questions, an imposition, her worries, an insult, and problems she raises, “controlling with complaints”, “nagging”, or “topping from the bottom”, then she may quite reasonably conclude that the man does not have the qualities necessary to handle the power she wants to give him.

Perhaps he does, but if so, he needs to show that he does, and the kind of reactions I have just mentioned suggest that he hasn't got the slightest idea how to conduct himself in a position of power. This is not about expecting perfection from the man. The odd bad reaction is not going to raise a red flag. It is about whether this kind of thing is a pattern.

Not all men are ready or will ever be ready for a Taken In Hand relationship. It takes more than wanting one. It takes great strength and good character. It takes the ability to admit mistakes and make changes when there is a problem. It takes a lot of things. The mere fact that a man is dominant does not make him strong or in any way a good person. There are some dangerous, abusive men out there. Expecting her to hand over power without checking that you are not such a man is completely unreasonable and unrealistic. She needs to take the time to check what kind of man you are.

So please, men, do not expect a woman to hand over power casually. Do not expect it to happen immediately. Expect it to take a long time – and I don't mean a few months or a few weeks. Assume that the vital process of checking that the two of you will be good together will take the entire first year, and you won't be far wrong. It might even take longer. The relationship will still be developing 30 years down the line, so what is a year in the greater scheme of things? Think of it as an exploratory adventure! Be patient. Be realistic. Be reasonable!

If the woman says that she wants you to be in control, take her at her word. Don't think that that means that she is saying that there is no need for the checking process! Don't think that she is saying that she has thrown caution to the wind and is going to become a yes-woman and do your bidding without question from now on. Don't think that the need for negotiation is over.

What it means when a woman says that she wants the man to be in control is the same thing it means when a sensible, reasonable man says that he wants to be in charge: it is a statement about the desired direction of the relationship rather than an unrealistic suggestion that it is possible just to step into a role without so much as checking out the script first. This is not about stepping into a preconceived role at all, let alone without reading the script and checking that the production company has what it takes to bring the production to Broadway. It is about creating something real – a relationship that has life, energy and the capacity to change the lives of both individuals in a positive way.

The woman who wrote to me said that her new man had accused her of being “afraid of losing control”. Of course she was afraid! You'd be crazy not to be afraid! This is dangerous! If this is not obvious to you, you just don't get it! And if you don't get it, you shouldn't be doing it.

Tojo
04-20-2006, 03:15 AM
A helluva post subwife. You said what I've been trying to put into words for a long time. I particularly like this line:

It takes great strength and good character. It takes the ability to admit mistakes and make changes when there is a problem.

A Dom is not a God. Just because someone's called 'Grandmasterlordsupreme' doesn't mean you should bow down & call him 'sir'.

It takes time to build trust in any relationship. When I began my first online D/s thing I made plenty of stupid mistakes. None of us are perfect & I would not consider starting a relationship with a sub who didn't have a mind of her own.

How else am I going to learn?

Tojo

submissivewife
04-20-2006, 06:57 AM
Makes sense Tojo.....

Once I was told I was disobedient when I first met a dom and asked questions. That is me I inquire about everything. Mostly because I am still new to everything. It's not that I am being disobedient it is because I want to learn. Plus, what IS wrong with asking questions? I beleive the more questions I ask the more I learn of the dom and frankly, why would I submit if I don't know or trust the dom?

My Sir and I have been friends now for a year. He has been my Dom for eight months. I still ask questions and he answers them with no hesitation or blaming of disobedience. I do notice that I don't ask so many question as I used to because I have gotten to know him through our interaction and learning him not only as a Dom but also as a person. Sir has also been instrumental in my self discovery and learning more about myself.

Now that I have Daddy, I get to learn new things, not only about him but also about myself. I love the two different personalities of these two Doms and how each brings out different feelings and emotions in me.

If it weren't for questions and persistant learning I would never know either of them for who they are and appreciate them like I do.

Ozme52
04-20-2006, 10:20 AM
A Dom is not a God. Just because someone's called 'Grandmasterlordsupreme' doesn't mean you should bow down & call him 'sir'.

Tojo

You got that right Tojo, My answer to those types?

"He said God, not clod!"

All except me of course.... :super:

Ilfyr
05-30-2006, 01:46 PM
Great post!

VixeyandPhoenix
06-12-2006, 07:28 PM
I really like what you wrote here.
As a submissive in and out of the bedroom, I realize the extreme amount of power that I have given my master over me. But it is only because I completely trust him to make sure that my needs are met too (including the need to serve him) that I was initially able to give him that power.
Abuse of that kind of power over someone could do a lot of harm.... but with him it was never an issue.... our relationship developed gradually, and with every new step we took I trusted him more. It's really a beautiful thing....

Basically I just really liked the way you put it.

-Vixey

Warbaby1943
06-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Great post. It is interesting to think that anyone would expect you to give up all control without self preservation interests being expressed in some manner.

her_Joe
06-14-2006, 04:47 PM
Great post, indeed. As SW knows from that "other site," I'm not at all convinced that what the TIH folk say and what they do makes a solid correlation. In fact, even more important, they disagree entirely on what makes a relationship ... whether, for example, the woman of the house should be spanked at his discretion, or whether she should accept it each time with the freedom to refuse it if she's not "in the mood," or whether she should allow it to happen at all. For most of the folk in TIH, iirc, other BDSM activities are not included at all. It is a highly "vanilla" environment, much in the form of Ozzie and Harriett with Harriett getting an occasional paddling ... maybe. The movement itself, as practiced by its members, seems to be blatant topping from the bottom -- instead of good negotiation as this article suggests -- as it is the woman's "job" to get him (the authority) to run the household according to her ideas. He has the responsibility, but only apparent authority.

But this article is terrific, I agree. I just don't have a lot of respect for the logic of the folk in the Yahoo group I followed for some time.

Sorry, SW, I'm not trying to hijack but did want to put it in (admittedly, my) perspective.

hJ

submissivewife
06-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Great post, indeed. As SW knows from that "other site," I'm not at all convinced that what the TIH folk say and what they do makes a solid correlation. In fact, even more important, they disagree entirely on what makes a relationship ... whether, for example, the woman of the house should be spanked at his discretion, or whether she should accept it each time with the freedom to refuse it if she's not "in the mood," or whether she should allow it to happen at all. For most of the folk in TIH, iirc, other BDSM activities are not included at all. It is a highly "vanilla" environment, much in the form of Ozzie and Harriett with Harriett getting an occasional paddling ... maybe. The movement itself, as practiced by its members, seems to be blatant topping from the bottom -- instead of good negotiation as this article suggests -- as it is the woman's "job" to get him (the authority) to run the household according to her ideas. He has the responsibility, but only apparent authority.

But this article is terrific, I agree. I just don't have a lot of respect for the logic of the folk in the Yahoo group I followed for some time.

Sorry, SW, I'm not trying to hijack but did want to put it in (admittedly, my) perspective.

hJ

That's ok Joe. I thought this was a good read and thought I would post it here. Your perspective is always welcome. Thanks.