PDA

View Full Version : My stories

Dr. Phil
08-02-2003, 06:42 PM
A couple of years ago I decided to begin uploading my stories to this forum. Most of my stories were written in the early 90's and posted on bulletin boards. After a couple of outright nasty reviews to "The Compound" by a couple of extremely rude people, I said "screw it" and didn't post any more stories.

Last week, after a two year hiatus, I decided to begin uploading the rest of my stories. Please understand that I wrote most of these stories ten years ago and I want to make sure that there are no references which are inappropriate by today's standards. I uploaded the first part for four of my stories last week. One of the stories was "Francine". Understand that I am re-reading and editing each story, chapter by chapter, before uploading it. I am up to chapter three on "Francine", and parts two and three haven't appeared yet because the webmaster is out of town.

After reading the outright nasty, discourteous, and once again, rude remarks in the reviews from a handful of people, I have once again decided that I'm just not going to bother uploading the rest of my stories here. It's not worth the aggravation and the time that it takes me to edit them. I have a life, and much better things to do with my small amount of free time than to provide entertainment for rude and unappreciative people.

I'll finish uploading the remaining parts of the four stories that I started, for the sake of the people who have begun reading them. It will take a little time because I refuse to post them without editing them. After that, well , I'm done, and forget about the rest of the stories. I'll go back to just reading other people's stories, as I have time.

I appreciate the kind and encouraging words from the one reviewer who showed some class. The others can go write your own damn stories.

- Dr. Phil

Chicklet
08-07-2003, 07:36 PM
Dr Phil,

I'm really sorry your experiences turned out so sucky. I have some words of advice for you, as a fellow author.

I spend tons of time on my stories, and put so much work into them...when people send me those flame emails, it frustrates me so much! I totally know how you're feeling. What I've taken to doing is saving the best one's for publication, even if that never happens. The only stories I submit online I leave in rough-draft form...people still appreciate them, and those who don't can go fuck themselves! The best thing to do is write for yourself, and if *you* like to see your work online, then you should submit it for yourself! Screw everyone else! No one matters but YOU!

Seriously. I'm so sorry you had this bad experience. Some people don't have anything better to do than hurt others.

-Chicklet

Moggy
08-08-2003, 05:07 AM
Phil,

I too, am sorry that you were offended by the ratings.

I'm one of those 'nasty' reviewers who gave you a 7 (guideline: Good. Was worth reading)

Considering you posted 7kb that contained little or no erotic content, I think the ratings are not at all bad. I'm not a fast reader, but still, 7kb equates to less than 3 minutes reading time.

I checked out the reviews for 'The Compound' that you mentioned. Apart from a nonsense 1*, I don't see much for you to be offended about. (Unless of course you are one of those writers that is offended by anything less than a 10*).

Phil, you've had many good reviews to your work, and you are a good writer, but I think you are being over-sensitive here.

Moggy

The reviews in question are show below:

Reviewer: ladyB (Edit) Rating: Aug 3, 2003
good start, can't wait for the rest of it... (7/10)

Reviewer: lex ludite (Edit) Rating: Aug 2, 2003
What's to review? I thought the webmaster had finally decreed the end to snippets. Guess not. In the event that future installments are timely and of more consequence, my rating will chance accordingly. (5/10)

Reviewer: Emily (Edit) Rating: Aug 2, 2003
Yes, nice read but short. (7/10)

Reviewer: Moggy (Edit) Rating: Aug 1, 2003
This looks like an interesting story, and is well written in literate English.
The story is probably better than a 7, however with such a small posting it's difficult to tell. A forum posting mentioned that this isn't a new story, I'm hoping we won't have to read this by the thimble full over the next xx months. (7/10)

Dr. Phil
08-08-2003, 09:25 AM
You're right, and I apologize for over-reacting. Normally, I like to upload all of the chapters of my stories at one time, for the very reason that you and others mentioned. As I stated before, most of my stories were written ten years ago, and they really need to be re-read and edited, and I especially want to make sure there are no inappropriate references to the ages of participants. The problem is that I've been so incredibly busy, and my leisure time so limited, that I simply didn't have the time to edit 10 chapters of "Francine", 4 chapters of "The Letter", 14 chapers of "Shame On You, Mr. Hyde", and 2 chapters of "The Story of Theresa". I thought I'd do what I could, and upload the rest as quickly as I was able.
It would have been one thing if the reviews said "Your stories are no good", but to be criticized because I can't edit and post them fast enough is too much like the pressures from work that I try to escape by writing my stories in the first place. So, you're right. It caught me at a bad time when I was being pressured for other things at work, and I'm sorry that I over-reacted. I don't expect all 10's and I do expect constructive criticism, but I'm a little too sensitive about not being able to edit and post them fast enough.

- Dr. Phil

Moggy
08-08-2003, 09:49 AM
It begs the question: Why post 4 stories simultaneously, if your time is so limited? What's the rush?

Oh, and by the way. the rest of us have real lives too. Well... most of us, anyhow.

:p

pop_54
08-15-2003, 01:59 PM
Go for it Phil, upload them, you consider them worth the effort and it appears a number of readers do too, you will always get a few know it all English language experts who'll try to pull you apart on grammar and such like.
You'll also get a few dick heads who don't like your kind of story but refuse to just leave it, instead they send abusive feedback.

Put the lot on ignore and get on with your life, writing, and posting mate.

pops.............:D

slave ruthie
09-23-2003, 11:16 AM
well i like soem of the ideas in your stories - pleeese keep posting :)

love

ruthie[Phil]

XXXXXX;)