PDA

View Full Version : computer running slower than it use to?

Rabbit1
06-02-2006, 01:05 PM
you may have spyware running on your computer ---there are hundreds of spyware programs out there ---here is a free one ---it is not the one I use I paid for one ---but it is better than not having one

Free Spyware Scanner identifies surreptitiously installed applications. Using updatable ref lists similar to antivirus DAT files, Free Spyware Scanner scours your system, including the registry and temporary Internet files, and looks for traces of recognized adware modules. When it's finished searching, it displays a list of what it found.

http://www.download.com/Free-Spyware-Scanner/3000-8022_4-10382699.html?tag=lst-0-2

Dick the Slaver
06-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware SE Personal are two free spyware programs that are available on the net.

GarrickBailley
06-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware SE Personal are two free spyware programs that are available on the net.

I agree, this along with using the latest version of mozilla firefox should protect you against most threats.

Tojo
06-02-2006, 05:15 PM
I find it helps to empty Temporary Internet Files at the end of each day, after you close your browser. With IE on XP I do it as follows-

Open 'Settings' in Internet Options (Tools/Internet options/General/Settings) Then click on 'View Files'

Delete all those suckers- clicking on 'Delete Files' in General doesn't get rid of all of them.

Then do an Ad Aware scan each day or so, & a Spybot once a week. Both are free programs.

Make sure you've got an Antivirus- & do a full scan once a week or so.

Check out AVG Antivirus for a free one- http://www.klitetools.com/index.php?action=news&catid=45

A firewall is essential.

Don't forget the trusty Defrag once a month or so & empty the recycle bin once in a while.

People say I'm paranoid about security, but those people have a heck of a lot more downtime than I do!

Tojo

Warbaby1943
06-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Microsoft has a program called Windows Defender. It is ver. Beta 2 and runs in real time. It does a good job on eliminating Spyware. Search Google for it. It is still a free download.

I also do everything Tojo talks about in his post. Keeps the computer running fine.

_ID_
06-02-2006, 09:37 PM
I just tried to install McAffee for an anti-virus program. It put my computer into a continuous restart loop. I entered safe mode, removed it, and now I am fine. I have also used Norton Ant-Virus, but due to some hardware conflicts I am not using that anymore. I am in the middle of looking for a reliable AV program, and the two top dogs have left me short.

I do know that when I uninstalled Norton, my computer seemed to double in speed. Perception, don't know. All I know is it seemed faster.

GarrickBailley
06-03-2006, 01:15 AM
I just tried to install McAffee for an anti-virus program. It put my computer into a continuous restart loop. I entered safe mode, removed it, and now I am fine. I have also used Norton Ant-Virus, but due to some hardware conflicts I am not using that anymore. I am in the middle of looking for a reliable AV program, and the two top dogs have left me short.

I do know that when I uninstalled Norton, my computer seemed to double in speed. Perception, don't know. All I know is it seemed faster.

check out Nod32 antivirus system.

http://www.nod32.com.au/nod32/default.html

Way better than norton or mcaffee, hands down.

Tojo
06-03-2006, 03:49 AM
Yeah Norton & McAffee on the default settings will slow the PC down. Some people just turn off Resident Protection & do a complete scan on regular occasions.
I've tried most of the expensive ones & am happy with AVG.

Tojo

GarrickBailley
06-03-2006, 03:59 AM
personally I'm fine with just adaware, spybot and firefox

I don't even have antivirus, and I haven't had a problem in 4 years

Warbaby1943
06-03-2006, 05:48 AM

IDCrewDawg,

Norton AV is a funny animal. If you want to install any other AV program after having had Norton's AV running, you have to completely remove all traces of Norton and Symantec from your computer. After your remove NAV by using ADD/REMOVE programs from the Control Panel run this new clean tool for Norton: http://tinyurl.com/9oenl

Then you need to search the Registry for any trace of either Norton or Symantec and delete every occurrence of them. While you are searching the Registry, it may find a key that doesn't even say Norton or Symantec but trust the "Find" function and delete it. Search for these two names separately and I did it 3 times to get every instance.

Then there is a little utility, if I remember correctly, it is called Windows Install Cleanup Utility, I think you can still find it here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301 . Run it and delete anything that refers to Norton or Symantec. It repeats itself so be sure to search to the bottom of the file.

Now you have a clean Registry with no trace of NAV and should be able to install any AV program you wish.

If I can recommend a good program, Microsoft has a very good AV and Firewall program with added utilities and it is only about $49.00 and can be installed on three computers for that price. It’s called OneCare. I am running it on three computers with no problems. It along with Windows Defender, I referred to in an earlier post, keeps my computers running very nicely. I do still use Ad-Aware 6.0 and Spybot which, as everyone knows, are free. Then a good defrag program should be run on a set schedule. I do that weekly. I also weekly run "CHKDSK /r" to keep my disks problem free.

Hope this helps.

_ID_
06-04-2006, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the help everyone. I will be trying some of these utilities. Since I just payed for MacAfee I will be trying the clean up thing first.

_ID_
07-17-2006, 01:02 AM
ok so MaCafee wasn't a good choice. I installed the NOD32 that was recomended in this thread. Although its more expensive than Norton or MaCafee, it is better, and it doesn't seem to slow down my computer. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Curious George
07-17-2006, 02:18 PM
Most people surfing on their own PC will be logged on as the Administrator, hence any malware that gets in does so with the freedom of an Administrator. For those folk who are particularly concerned about PC security might like to think about creating a non-admin, limited account for surfing purposes.

H Dean
07-18-2006, 01:18 PM
Be sure to adjust the NOD32 settings to scan all files. By default it only scans files with specific extensions. Also, set it to update automatically every 2 hours. The guys at Eset are constantly updating.

mkemse
07-19-2006, 07:38 PM
If it helps anyone, I have used Pestpatrol Corp. Edition and it always speeds my system up, gets rid of all spyware, trojans ect. Just a thought

slaveboy75
08-29-2006, 11:17 AM
AVG Free Edition is an excellent choice for a virus scanner also. It's free for non-commercial use and the updates never expire. Much easier on system resources than Norton and McAfee. Automatic updates, real-time scanning, etc...very nice.

http://free.grisoft.com

I also recommend Windows Defender as mentioned above. It has real-time scanning unlike most of the other free programs. Doesn't seem too bad on system resources either.

You can get it at http://download.microsoft.com

PleasureNPain
10-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Another really good clean up tool that I have found and use regularily is a-squared by http://www.emsisoft.com/en/

Tojo
10-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Yes AVG free is an excellent antivirus program, I've had it all this year & am much happier than I was with the one I paid for last year.

Tojo

mkemse
10-16-2006, 04:19 AM
Just general information for readers, i have not had problem with spyware as I have a program to elminate it, but what I noticed over the weekend was there are a number of GREAT spyware removal programs availabled over the net, "free to use", the problem i ran into was that these "free bee's" specifialy Spydoctor runs great, located an lists in a log spyware but after you scan and the log within the program shows you what spyware is in your system, unless you actualy purchase it, it will not allow you to dleeete the spyware program or cookies in your system,
So be advised if the application says, free trial or free application, what that means is the download and use is free, but the ability to actualy rid your system of the spyware is deactivated til you purchase the program, so be aware of any "Free" spyware program offers,
Likw the old saying goes, anything that is to good to be true probably is, in this case is correct, before you download any "FREE" spyware removal programs make sure they will allow you to remove the spyware from your system first, FREE is great but if all it does is show you what you have and not allow you to use it it serve's no purpose
Like the newer MP# dwonload Programs, they all say "FRee MP3 downloads, sure you cna DOWNLOAD it free but to use it you have to "BUY" ino the application. No truer words where spoken yesi t is free to DOWNLOAD, af6ter that everything has a price to use them

mkemse
10-16-2006, 04:29 AM
Also, I spoke recently to my ISP and they even admitted to me that if someone uses McAvee for anti virus control, that the program does in fact slow your system down,and outside of deactiviating it, they had no suggestions for me aside from using a different Anti Virus control program they told me "It is free with alot of Internet services as it come with the package, but it does also slow your system down, I downloaded McAvee into my system, and my computer speed was cut almost 1/2, so i took McAvee out, switch to Norton Ssystem works and lost no speed or not enough to make any major difference in surfing
Just thought I would pass this bit of info on
My system it was on has a AMD6400+ i run almost 4.2 mhz of speed with 1 gig of memory, so processor speed and memory here is not an issue, I am using a new system

Mischeif
11-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Just joined the forums, and thought I might add a bit for anyone reading this. To start off, I'm a network engineer for a national ISP, and deal with a network node that has almost 20,000 end users.
AVG is great, and so is Avast! antivirus. They are free for personal use, and smaller than norton or macafee, so they impact your computer less.
As far as anti spyware programs go, I lean towards "spybot search & destroy", and "Ad Aware SE". Both are available in free or trial versions, and when used in conjunction, they catch almost all of the nasty stuff out there. microsoft defener is also a great free add-on.
If anyone has any PC or networking questions (platform independant), feel free to email me. I try to check this account every few days.

cariad
12-03-2006, 02:50 AM
I used to use the AVG/Spybot/AdAware combination and never had any problems. Since I also use my laptop for work, I now have to use one of the well known antivirus and firewall packages, which is so much more demanding on resources and I am yet to be convinced gives any extra protection.

cariad

Thorne
01-31-2007, 11:48 AM
I've been using Norton for years, without any problems. The system I bought last July came with Norton Internet Security, which has a firewall as well as the AV, and it also helps with adware/spyware. I'm not too sure of the effectiveness of the firewall, although it has stopped some applications from accessing the internet all on their own.
I always recommend Spybot and AdAware to anyone who asks for my help with their computers. I've been using them for years as well, and I've been quite pleased. I'm not a high-risk surfer but every once in a while they'll find something. Just make sure you update them at least once a week. I Have Norton run a scan once a week automatically, and I run manual scans on Spybot and AdAware once a week as well. Spybot also has some nice administrative tools which can help with start-up programs and some registry problems. If your comfortable with computers, switch it to advanced mode. No extra charge!
Something else to look at is http://www.grc.com/default.htm. They have numerous small programs which you can dowload for added security. They also have an online test called ShieldsUP! which tests your defenses against hackers. I've used it without any problem.

nk_lion
03-03-2007, 09:56 PM
if anyone is still at a university or college, they should try to get a copy of symantec anti-virus (corporate) either v9 or 10. it barely slows down ur computer unlike a lot of other anti-virus programs, and is really effective.
I say university or college because symantec corporate anti-virus is sold to companies usually, and they allow educational institutions to sell each licence at a subsidised rate (~$5).

Domination King
12-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Below is a listing of trusted, and used programs. I do computer repair for a living, so take me at my word, these programs have cleaned up just about every infection I've come across.

To remove Adware, Spyware, and Malware.

- Ad-aware SE (It's free) - Make sure you update before you scan, and always scan in safe mode.

- Spybot Search & Destroy (again free) - First download the updates, all of them. Second, immunize yourself. Third, scan - in safe mode.

- CCleaner (free) while not a spyware removal tool, this is a one click fix it. It will remove all temp internet files, cookies, history...etc. Run this often, doesn't have to be in safe mode either.

To remove Viruses

- AVG 7.5 (this is free) This program is wonderful. This is much better on the system than McAfee, Norton, Trend Micro, PC Doctor, PC Cillan..etc. This program updates by itself daily. It's very low on resources, so you won't have a problem with it. Make sure it's done it's updates for the day and scan in safe mode.

*Note* There are other programs I use, and I have paid for. I am only listing the free ones here.

Regards,
DK