PDA

View Full Version : Dilemmas and thanks.

Malice
08-05-2003, 12:30 PM
Nine years ago, the internet was a different place. There wasn't the kind of resources there is now for artists and writers. I was trying to learn how to write, and the only thing I could ever find was erotic fiction.

So, I started reading, and found some truly great stories that taught me alot about character development, and expressing the emotions that people go through in life.

Unfortunately, as the same time I also stumbled upon things I should have never read, where some stories really left me feeling ill after reading them. Regardless though, I owe alot to erotic fiction, pretty much what ever skill I have as a writer owes a great debt to it.

Some day, I'd like to be able to write a story, or stories. To give back to the community, and maybe inspire someone else to push forward. Though, as of yet, I've never been able to convince myself to attempt to write it.

As worldly as I like to believe I am, I'm really not into the things I read. The prospect of a woman being owned by an animal might turn me on in a story, but having actually stumbled upon videos and pictures I can say it really does absolutely nothing for me outside of text. It's really the emotions, and the feelings that makes it erotic, without it, it's just what it is, something odd and not nessarily for everyone or even myself.

Anyways..

My dilemma is I don't know where to start, or if I should. Maybe part of me still views the whole thing as dirty and wrong and something to be embarrassed about. If that's it, then I'm not sure I have much hope of changing that mindset anytime soon..

So, if I never get to around to writing something I'd just like to take a short time in all of this to thank the writers who post things throughout the years. Hopefully some of my long lost favorites will stumble across this and get the thanks they deserve.

Thank you.

drayman
08-06-2003, 05:18 AM
Having read your post there is only one thing I can say - Go for it-.

I was like yourself, reading the contributions of others, some enjoyable some not, and then I decided to have a try at writing one story myself. I have just had the first chapter shown on the site and the responses I have received, some good some not so good, have given me the incentive to submit more chapters.

It is hoped that, as time passes and I take onboard the reactions from the readers, I will improve so that the good comments are far more than the adverse ones. However, even if I do not get positive responses, I will have enjoyed the fact that I have done my little bit for the enjoyment of other readers and will feel that I am contributing.

boccaccio2000g
08-06-2003, 06:10 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Malice

[B]
So, I started reading, and found some truly great stories that taught me alot about character development, and expressing the emotions that people go through in life.

Some day, I'd like to be able to write a story, or stories. To give back to the community, and maybe inspire someone else to push forward. Though, as of yet, I've never been able to convince myself to attempt to write it.

My dilemma is I don't know where to start, or if I should. Maybe part of me still views the whole thing as dirty and wrong and something to be embarrassed about. If that's it, then I'm not sure I have much hope of changing that mindset anytime soon..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(I'm using 'him' below instead of him/her for ease of reading)

Every writer begins that way -- not knowing if or where or when to start, and not knowing where his thoughts and dreams may lead him.

My suggestion * would be to begin with an exciting scene, one that stimulates you, to get your feet wet, and then, assuming that you find that you have enjoyed writing that bit, take a step back and say, "Now, who are these people and how did they get here, and where are they going?" And then create characters that your readers will care about even when they're not jumping in and out of beds (or dungeons).

* I am constitutionally incapable of constructing a whole story, even a short story, in my head before sitting down at the keyboard. Others, probably the majority, have the entire story mapped out before they begin.

It's important to remember, too that nobody is entirely successful with his first story -- or his last. Every story can be made better -- that is both the enticement and the curse of every writer. But at some point the author has to let go and say, "Basta!" (Enough!) and send it off to the public and find out whether he has succeeded.

One last thought -- don't rush it. Some days the inspiration won't be there. When it's not there, don't force yourself to write, because the quality just won't be there. Those are good times to go back over what you have already written, making sure the sentences flow well, the descriptions are colorful, the dialogue crisp.

Good luck!

Boccaccio

pop_54
08-15-2003, 01:51 PM
Go for it friend, you're a natural.

Never, and I mean never, give a shit about what others think of you personally while reading your story, it don't count mate.

You will never meet any of them, and they haven't got a freekin clue who you are or where you actually live.

I too thought long'ishly about posting my first story, then the above suddenly hit me like a brick, why the freek not, they don't know me.

pops..........:D