PDA

View Full Version : Story length

dav4jon
08-08-2003, 07:15 AM
I'm a new member/author and I posted a story yesterday (David and Jonathan).

That story is not very long (10KB) as I personally prefer them to be in the ±10/20KB range - which seems to be the opinion of the first reviewer too.

However, after reading the forums for a while I got the feeling most people prefered long stories to short ones.

I do plan to write more instalments to the story - if I get a positive feedback - and I intend them to be about the same length as the first part. The whole story could then become quite long after a while, although each part will be more like a new episode than a real 'next' chapter.

I would be interested to read what the average reader thinks and likes as far as story length is concerned.

Cheers

Dr. Phil
08-08-2003, 09:59 AM
Abraham Lincoln, who was very tall, was once asked by a reporter how long he felt a man's legs should be. Lincoln answered "They should be long enough to reach from his hips to the ground."

I feel the same way about story length. It should be long enough to adequately tell the story. Even though the content of the story that you posted is not my personal cup of tea, I think that it was well written and told a story very nicely.

pop_54
08-15-2003, 01:29 PM
Hello nice to meet you all.

Story length??? As long, or short, as it needs to be to convey the full story to the reader in a sane and sensible manner.

I've read very short, 650 word, stories that have entertained me and left me thinking.

I have read short stories that give the impression that the tale isn't finished and left me frustrated.

I have also read very long stories that held my attention all the way through.

Then I have given up half way through longer stories that have become repetitive and boring.

It's all down to the author and his/her story idea, can it be finished properly in a short format, no, OK make it longer, but for Christ's sake finish it to the satisfaction of the readership and of course youself.

I find a lot of very short stories are written by budding authors with lack of incentive or stamina to do otherwise, a quick gang bang and it's all over, probably take about as long on the story as it takes them to blow their load, average 3 minutes isn't it.

pops............

:) :D

MrStefens
08-23-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by dav4jon
I'm a new member/author and I posted a story yesterday (David and Jonathan).

I would be interested to read what the average reader thinks and likes as far as story length is concerned.

Cheers

I think I had a story rejected because it wasn't long enough. Or to be more accurate I was asked if there were other installments and as there was not, it didn't get published. Hmm...or at least I think that is the reason, all I know for sure is I was asked that question and after my reply never heard back about it and my other stories were put on the site but not that one. It is short, but its a complete story and I think as good as many things published here...but I suppose I am biased. Anyway, I felt it was a shame,,,I think it is by far the best thing I have written, (perhaps not saying all that much) and along with my story Joeys Detention always generated the most comments from readers. So, I am not sure what the readers desire, but my impression is the story gatekeeper prefers them longer.

pop_54
08-24-2003, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by MrStefens
I think I had a story rejected because it wasn't long enough. Or to be more accurate I was asked if there were other installments and as there was not, it didn't get published. Hmm...or at least I think that is the reason, all I know for sure is I was asked that question and after my reply never heard back about it and my other stories were put on the site but not that one. It is short, but its a complete story and I think as good as many things published here...but I suppose I am biased. Anyway, I felt it was a shame,,,I think it is by far the best thing I have written, (perhaps not saying all that much) and along with my story Joeys Detention always generated the most comments from readers. So, I am not sure what the readers desire, but my impression is the story gatekeeper prefers them longer.

Shame that friend, I find often the shorter stories of mine are the better put together one's, Yours the same sounds like, this little tale pleased you after you'd written it. Shame they found the need to reject it.
It annoys me when things are rejected and no reason is forthcoming as well, still the story gatekeeper probably recieves a thousand e-mails a day, mostly spam, and our little pleas go unheeded in the clean out at the end of the day.

torny
08-24-2003, 07:11 PM
Personally, I prefer stories to be not too long ie. 10-30 page length. Not sure of the Kb size though!!:)

But as someone else also said, some longer stories can be highly entertaining - it really depends on the quailty and content!!
Good luck

Curtis
10-18-2003, 09:55 AM
There has been a 10kb minimum established for stories posted to the Library and some people (that would mean me) have protested to Jinn when he ignored the minimum. My experience with the Library posts has been that I have yet to see one under 10k (or much under 20k) that was worth my effort.

ON THE OTHER HAND, I just finished reading a 3k and a 1.3k story posted to threads in this Forum and was very impressed. I realize that your audience size would be about a tenth of what it is in the Library (and no formal critiquing process), but if you wish to post short-shorts here in the Forum, we'd love to read them (just be careful which sub-forum you post to).

woodsman'sgame
10-20-2003, 06:36 PM
Have you read Fox's "Snippets"? Now those are some outstanding very very short stories. So you never can tell.

Fox
10-21-2003, 06:40 AM
To judge a story by its length is to do a disservice to the writer. Rather than counting the words or bytes, look at the plot, character development, sentence structure, use of adverbs and adjectives, punctuation. You know, all the little things that make the story what it is ...

There are many stories and novels that are too long, no question. That is a reflection on the writer, editor and plot. I have not encountered any that are too short - that is most likely what the writer intended. A well written story should leave you satisfied and yet asking for more ...