PDA

View Full Version : ceiling fan?

arwcuw
06-24-2006, 02:07 PM
I've always wanted to try being suspended from the ceiling, but I'm a little on the heavy side (190lb), and there's not a lot of places I can do things like this.

So I wonder, is the average ceiling fan strong enough to bear the weight of a person? The man who owned this house before my family was in the business of selling light fixtures and ceiling fans, and almost every room has one- and they seem to be high-quality. Should I risk trying it out, or wait for another opportunity?

davesmistress
06-24-2006, 02:38 PM
I've always wanted to try being suspended from the ceiling, but I'm a little on the heavy side (190lb), and there's not a lot of places I can do things like this.

So I wonder, is the average ceiling fan strong enough to bear the weight of a person? The man who owned this house before my family was in the business of selling light fixtures and ceiling fans, and almost every room has one- and they seem to be high-quality. Should I risk trying it out, or wait for another opportunity?

Well, just my own opinion, but before I put myself in harms way I would try to find something of similar weight to tie to it first.....Maybe have a friend help hoist it up there.

And probably in a room where it wouldnt be as noticeable if it did come down till it could be repaired.

If that object didnt bring it down, then you shouldn't.

Good Luck

wingsofanangel
06-24-2006, 03:01 PM
I would not think so.. most celing fans are a couple of screws and electrical wires... it could be quiet dangerous.

You can find bolts and such very cheap that you could put into the support beams....

but i am not an expert .. wait for more advice.

Anya

maddie
06-24-2006, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't. You'd probably damage the ceiling fan. I don't think they're meant to hold any weight at all.

I'm sure there are other ways to get around that though. There's hooks that you can get that could be attached to the ceiling; if you know where the support beams in the ceiling are, that'd be a good thing to try to get into, I'd think. Small holes like that are quite easy to patch.

His_pita
06-24-2006, 03:31 PM
NO!! They aren't near strong enough. You have to look into how suspension is supposed to be done. Your weight likes quadruples when suspended and you have any movement put to you. The fan and part of the ceiling would all come crashing down on your poor naked body! :eek:

My Joe has a BIG eye hook in the wall going through one of the studs in the wall. He still only partially suspends me on that so that part of my weight is on my spanking bench.

Be safe!

Widget
06-24-2006, 04:02 PM
Perhaps you could call a contractor and tell them that you want to hang one of those wicker chairs that you can hang from the ceiling and you want to know how to do it safely.

Since one of those chairs would need to be hung in the same manner as a swing, you can ask that way instead of revealing the much more fun reason and get it done safely.

Tojo
06-24-2006, 04:12 PM
I am an 'expert'- nope, don't even consider it. A modern house doesn't have strong enough timbers in the ceiling to hold a struggling adult- let alone a ceiling fan itself. Anyway you'd have to take the whole fan off to do it.
You can also crack the sheets in the ceiling by doing such fun things.

Much safer to use a basement or something which has stronger beams, or go into the woods. As pita says your weight increases dramatically when you struggle.

If you were to remove the fan completely (don't try this at home kiddies unless you understand these things) you could stand on the floor & hold your wrists up maybe. You wouldnt' want to struggle too much though....

Play safe, have fun.

Tojo

gagged_Louise
06-24-2006, 06:17 PM
I've always wanted to do this, I believe most submissives want to, but it takes two. You won't catch that feeling of wanton helplessness and enslavement as long as your hands are treaded into some loops that you can with reasonable ease pull out of when the time is up (and there's no way to get that real tight and graceful bondage one is after, on your own).

It does require that your master/top has actually raised your hands as far as you can stretch them, you're on your toes, and you get them firmly bound and pulled so you know you can't get anywhere on your own, come hell or high water. And it brings home that all your squirming won't help, no matter how many stripes he puts on your back. Yeah, this is great but find someone who will do it with you.

animanota
06-24-2006, 06:54 PM
To put this baby to rest. No. I ceiling fan will not support the weight of a human (100-200 lbs. give or take). I'm an electrician and a junction box nailed between studs is what usually holds up ceiling fans. That's no where near the support you need to suspend a human.

On another note. My younger brother was playing Tarzan on the ceiling fan in my parent's bedroom and ripped it out of the ceiling. I think he was about 9 at the time.

So I know as a professional and from experience

Warbaby1943
06-24-2006, 06:55 PM
Not even close to being strong enough to support your weight. If you want to suspend anything of any weight from your ceilings you will need to use cross braces across a couple of the rafters to distribute the weight over a larger area.

submissivewife
06-24-2006, 07:44 PM
I don't think a ceiling fan would hold much weight at all. It is an intriguing thought but anything over 50lbs would probably put too much strain and pull the fan straight out of the ceiling......good luck if you can find away to get that to happen for you.

Putnamcocpl
06-24-2006, 10:40 PM
Dont even attempt this, It wont work. Regardless of the fact the guy may have put the best pieces in his home, It wasnt meant to accomodate that sort of weight. If you do, Set up a video camera, make sure its running first, and afterwards send the tape to Americas Funniest Home Videos, to help pay the contractor, that you will need to fix everything.

To add to what Ruby said:
Think in terms of a frozen lake, and someone went thru the ice... If you attempt to walk out to save them, you are in the drink too.. Because your weight is being beared in each step by a small space, say 3 inches by 8 - 10 inches... to save the other person, you need to Lie on the ice, spread your wieght over a broader area and reduce the LBS per Square inch...

The same applies here, you are going to attempt to suspend yourself from a small attachment point.. Unless the bolts hardend, and driven into the joists, preferably all the way thru, with a nut on top..

arwcuw
06-26-2006, 05:03 PM
Okay, that idea's eliminated then.

I have a mental image of Indiana Jones using his whip to string up an attacker on a ceiling fan- but those movies weren't exactly realistic, were they?

Ozme52
06-27-2006, 01:15 AM
Well, don't eliminate it... Just build what you want.

I suggest adding a pair of cross braces between your roof trusses, and a sturdy (1/2 inch?) eyebolt. From that you can suspend whatever suspension rig your prefer.

For rotation assistance, either prewind your rig, or use a swivel-hook and possibly an electric motor assist... (something like a belt drive...) but don't try suspending anything directly from the motor.