PDA

View Full Version : Forums' features wish list

dav4jon
08-17-2003, 06:34 AM
After reading ~d~'s 'how about.....?' thread I figured it could be more efficient to have two threads: one about the Story area of the site and one about the Forums. So here's a kind of Forum wish list.

Although I have only been around here for over a week there are a couple of things I thought about which could (arguably) make the Forums just that little bit more user-friendly:[list=1] the possibility to sort the threads in a forum by date of creation (on top of the already existing possibilities like title, starter, rating...) the possibility to display all threads in a forum on just one page, even if it means a very long page.[/list=1]...and while we're at it why not do the same for all the posts in any given thread.

Needless to say, I don't know whether other people will agree with me or not and I don't know either if it is possible to implement these features in version 2.2.9 of vBulletin. So these are only suggestions and no real requests.

Cheers

BDSM_Tourguide
08-17-2003, 11:33 AM
Date of creation would be the same as the date of the first post. I'm not exactly sure why you would really even need to know it.

As for the other thing, you yourself can alter your view of the forums in a few exciting and interesting ways. Have a look at the top of this page. You will see a button that is labeled "used cp." Click it and it will take you to your individual control panel. From there, you can edit your profile, receive private messages and edit your options. Toward the bottom of the edit your options page, it gives you several areas in which to alter the way you view these forums. Have a look and see what you can do.

boccaccio2000g
08-17-2003, 11:44 AM
2 the possibility to display all threads in a forum on just one page, even if it means a very long page.

Wouldn't that lengthen the loading time of the larger threads to unmanageable proportions? With a dial-up modem, it takes me about half a minute to load a single page of the 18 or 20 pages of the 'erotic pictures' thread for instance.

I don't know anything about computers, but if that half minute were to increase very much, I would probably dispense with those pictures.

And that would be a great shame ... some of them are quite inspiring indeed.

Boccaccio

dav4jon
08-17-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by BDSM_Tourguide
Date of creation would be the same as the date of the first post. I'm not exactly sure why you would really even need to know it.Yes, it would be the same as the first post but there does not seem to be any possibility to sort the threads according to this first post's date.

The reason why I thought it could be useful is that I would like to be able to always see the threads in the same order. I sort of get confused when they move around in the list as is the case no matter which existing parameter you choose to sort them by. I'm probably weird...

Originally posted by BDSM_Tourguide
As for the other thing (...) your individual control panel.I am definitely weird! I go on these Control Panels every time I connect but I had completely missed out on those two features. My apologies.

[The 'Show all threads' options only seems to display the first 25 threads, though. :p ]

Originally posted by boccaccio2000g
Wouldn't that lengthen the loading time of the larger threads to unmanageable proportions?It would definitely increase the download time but, as it would be only one of several options, each user could decide whether they want to use it or not according to the quality of their connection.

These are just suggestions anyway. Don't loose any sleep over it.

Cheers