PDA

View Full Version : A Crazy Poll

Rabbit1
07-01-2006, 01:03 AM
Maybe something your local congressman or Senate rep. ought to do :eek:

What do you see as the most important issue that ought to have the governments full attention besides the war?

_ID_
07-01-2006, 05:00 AM
I feel each of those issues are an important internal american issue (cept maybe the sleeping around one). However America's dependency on fossil fuel, and it's marriage with an unstable regional source has got to be curbed.

There are many alternatives out there from solar, to biodeisel. It is just a matter of marketing. For instance, greater than 50% or vehicles in germany run on biodeisel, why do you suppose that is, well they made that fuel cheaper to start with, and then they have nearly every car manufactured as a deisel engine.

If I were to choose between this and another issue, it would be the cost of healthcare.

V/R
ID

maddie
07-01-2006, 05:10 AM
OK, so I'm tempted to say that the most important thing right now is the fact that Texas residents disembarking from a cruise ship at a port in Texas are limited to 1L of alcohol per person and that you can't even pay duty on anything in excess. But I won't.

I'm very tempted to agree with IDCrewDog, but I'm not going to do that, either.

My biggest concern right now is the current Administration's lack of respect for the Constitution. They're using 9/11 as an excuse to winnow away our freedoms, to invade privacy on an unprecedented level, and far too many people are OK with it. Rights have been squahsed during times of war in the past, but the "War on Terror" is not a Senate-declared war and it's likely never going to end.

Sometimes, I feel like President Bush and his buddies are sitting around, having a couple of beers, and saying, "OK. We tapped phones and didn't get in trouble. And we poked around in their library records, their bank records, and didn't get in trouble. So what can we do next?" I do not trust any of them. I wouldn't trust them to walk me across the street safely if I was a little old lady.

I'm far too lazy at 7 a.m. to look it up, but I think it was Ben Franklin who said that those who were willing to exchange freedoms for security deserved neither. Amen to that.

chattel69
07-01-2006, 05:48 AM
Can I just say ditto... I took a phone poll a little while back on our local congressmen and they asked the same question. It is hard to limit it to just one because all the issues are important. Just on a personal level I would like to see more jobs but that is only because I don't have one. :(

Kraven
07-01-2006, 07:09 AM
I ran with education -- why? Well, if our kids are smarter.. they should be more inclined to care about a wide variety of issues and elect better folks to address those issues.

I think one of the big problems we have today is that the averager person doesn't much know or care how the healthcare system works... or what the point of social security is.. or what it takes to immigrate legally.. etc. We hear a soundbite on tv and run whatever that four or five word bit said because on the surface it makes sense.

Whoops, I just realized.. I was only supposed to "explain" if I picked other. Bad Kraven Bad!

Rabbit1
07-01-2006, 07:09 AM
I feel each of those issues are an important internal american issue (cept maybe the sleeping around one). However America's dependency on fossil fuel, and it's marriage with an unstable regional source has got to be curbed.

There are many alternatives out there from solar, to biodeisel. It is just a matter of marketing. For instance, greater than 50% or vehicles in germany run on biodeisel, why do you suppose that is, well they made that fuel cheaper to start with, and then they have nearly every car manufactured as a deisel engine.

If I were to choose between this and another issue, it would be the cost of healthcare.

V/R
ID

I agree the energy crunch needs to be curbed---We are the only nation in the world that it pays not to reinvest your profits in your oil business---so what if it creates a shortage---that just means more profits--I mean a retiring oil exec--needs 90 million dollars in his retirement package--so why drill for more oil ---why build more refineries----why upgrade the equipment in your old refineries---but the profits of these oil companies hit record levels

and politically speaking ---what happened to our old buddies ---who's asses we saved during the first gulf war---they could break from OPEC and increase production to help us out now that we could use lower oil prices---

So yes energy is a political hot potatoe---and important one I left out

cheeseburger
07-02-2006, 07:11 AM
Education, easily. This issue trumps the rest. If everyone here was smart, had a college degree, etc, we wouldnt even have some of the issues you list. Including energy.

_ID_
07-02-2006, 10:59 AM
The relitive IQ and educational level of someone has no bearing on if they are corupt, and make backroom deals to keep america consuming fossil fuels. Same goes with Health Care and the health care providers/insurance companies/doctors all working to keep costs up, to line their pockets.

Just an opinon.