PDA

View Full Version : Sensory deprivation as punishment - effective?

Timberwolf
07-17-2006, 06:36 PM
I'm not talking punishment in the wink wink sense where we give you a spanking for being a "naughty girl" either. I mean as an actual "you broke the rules and there are consequenses" punishment designed for a more or less full time sub.

The punishment - first, secure the punished, through any preferred method in your desired location. More than likely in the nude to take away as much sensation as possible from havin things rub against the skin if they shift. Though for this purpose, they should be as secured as possible to prevent movement at all. Now, I've seen sensory deprivation hoods but I don't know a great deal about them. I assume they do the rest of what I need. Which would be take away their sight, hearing, and sense of smell (noseplug of some kind). Breathing would have to be through the mouth. In other words depriving them of as much of their senses as possible.

Leave them, without any other stimulation at all, for the duration of the punishment, left in the dark (for almost all senses) and unable to move.

Two questions.

1- Is this a reasonable thing to assume could be an effective method of punishment? It's not supposed to be pleasant. Or even neutral. It's supposed to be uncomfortable, though much more in the mental sense than the physical. Even thinking about the experience, personally, for more than a few minutes makes me rather uncomfortable, but any other feedback is welcome and encouraged.

2- I have literally no idea about how long to do this for. I assume the lack of sense involved must effect the passage of time somewhat (meaning things might seem to take much longer than they really do). If I had someone with me, I'd be willing to test this on myself as an experiement under their supervision and assistance. Until then I'm required to rely on the words of others. What would an hour like this feel like? Two? Longer?

Anyone who has something to offer, please share.

wingsofanangel
07-17-2006, 07:19 PM
The very idea scares the sh*t outta me. This is a HARD limit for me. One of the few. I just can't fathom the idea... thinking about it to long gets me all flustered and nervous.

One or two .. thats what thing.. all of them? NO.

Sera

Nikita
07-17-2006, 08:20 PM
Timberwolf,

Hi there. I'm not so sure some subs would consider sensory deprivation a punishment. As a matter of fact, SD is one of the things I love! So, it might not serve your purpose as a punishment.

The other thing that crossed my mind as you described how you would apply sensory deprivation, one of the hard limits for bdsm folk, never leave the sub alone, especially under those circumstances. You didn't say you'd leave the sub alone, but it sounds implied.

If your goal is to punish, consider taking away something that your sub really likes. That usually works for me. For instance, cum deprivation is used as a punishment or a treat, extreme humiliation, another...something to think about.

Nikita

chattel69
07-17-2006, 08:20 PM
Sensory deprivation for me would be a great punishment. This type of punishment would leave you to think about what you did wrong and what you could and should do to be a better sub to your Master

Aesop
07-17-2006, 08:27 PM
I'm not talking punishment in the wink wink sense where we give you a spanking for being a "naughty girl" either. I mean as an actual "you broke the rules and there are consequenses" punishment designed for a more or less full time sub.

The punishment - first, secure the punished, through any preferred method in your desired location. More than likely in the nude to take away as much sensation as possible from havin things rub against the skin if they shift. Though for this purpose, they should be as secured as possible to prevent movement at all. Now, I've seen sensory deprivation hoods but I don't know a great deal about them. I assume they do the rest of what I need. Which would be take away their sight, hearing, and sense of smell (noseplug of some kind). Breathing would have to be through the mouth. In other words depriving them of as much of their senses as possible.

Leave them, without any other stimulation at all, for the duration of the punishment, left in the dark (for almost all senses) and unable to move.

Two questions.

1- Is this a reasonable thing to assume could be an effective method of punishment? It's not supposed to be pleasant. Or even neutral. It's supposed to be uncomfortable, though much more in the mental sense than the physical. Even thinking about the experience, personally, for more than a few minutes makes me rather uncomfortable, but any other feedback is welcome and encouraged.

2- I have literally no idea about how long to do this for. I assume the lack of sense involved must effect the passage of time somewhat (meaning things might seem to take much longer than they really do). If I had someone with me, I'd be willing to test this on myself as an experiement under their supervision and assistance. Until then I'm required to rely on the words of others. What would an hour like this feel like? Two? Longer?

Anyone who has something to offer, please share.

Well like nikita says never leave the sub alone. Things can go wrong scary fast sometimes and you need to be there to make sure the sub is safe. The length of time should relate to who your submissive is and what kind of restraints you are using. If they are tight you don't want to go over 15 minutes because lack of blood flow for longer than that can cause permanent damage. If they are loose then it's up to you and the sub. This is something you should negotiate loooooong in advance as a possible punishment and remember to always leave a way for the sub to safeword.

Silke
07-17-2006, 09:15 PM
Contrary to some I love the idea of sensory deprivation...but when used as a form of punishment, that's a whole different pair of shoes. It's like taking drugs when you're in a bad state already...not a good idea. *shudders*

Timberwolf
07-17-2006, 09:59 PM
Some interesting feedback so far, thanks.

Yes I should have chosen some of my wording better, never leave a sub alone when you're talking about gags, or really most any kind of bondage or activity that could potentially restrict breathing. I should have worded it more to imply I'd be near by, but simply offering no stimulation (touch, words, etc). Safety first, a good core rule.

I'm also not surprised that some are into it and that it scares the hell out of others. I'm a pretty good visualizer. Borders on a meditation technique I suppose. I tried this for about five minutes earlier today (before writing the post here) on trying to imagine what this would be like... and I had to stop. It unsettled me a great deal. But really, that's what this would be used for. I wouldn't use this as a "normal" punishment... I was thinking more along the lines of a "you really screwed up and you need a lesson in obedience" kind of thing that I doubt I'd ever have to use more than once. As I said, I don't want it to be pleasant, though not neccecarily outright torturous. But I wouldn't want to use this as a "normal" punishment... it strikes me as having some potentially extreme mental consequences if used regularly on one who found it uncomfortable.

And I'd never ever attempt this on a claustophobic person, I don't think. I have a feeling that might well be as bad as locking them in a submarine and springing a leak on purpose.

Nikita (or any other subs who enjoy this activity) - could you express in words what it is you enjoy about sensory deprivation? Are there other activities you're atttaching to it? I'm always curious to hear the other side of the coin on something like this, even if the idea doesn't exactly tickle my fancy.

Really, a lot of what I wrote here and above was just thinking out loud on an idea I don't really know that much about, more so than any concrete plan to do this. Curious to learn. I agree that any potential punshments should more or less be settled on fairly early in a D/s relationship... and this is not one I'd force on someone genuinely unwilling at all, because I do find it potentially quite extreme if one chooses to make it that way.

vistana
07-17-2006, 10:24 PM
I think it could be a highly effective punishment, very unsettling.
But an hour? more than an hour? Time can pass really slowly sometimes and an hour can be a very very long time.

Timberwolf
07-17-2006, 10:29 PM
Again in terms of time, I have literally no idea how long to do this for. I just picked an hour or two as arbitrary easy starting points. Like I said I *thought* about this for 5 minutes and it unsettled me.

I think on this issue it could vary a great deal person to person but knowing how long to do it for could prove difficult.

frankee
07-17-2006, 10:53 PM
The very idea scares the sh*t outta me. This is a HARD limit for me. One of the few. I just can't fathom the idea... thinking about it to long gets me all flustered and nervous.

One or two .. thats what thing.. all of them? NO.

Sera

i have to agree with wings on this, even thinking about it scares the hell out of me. Being strapped down and blindfolded is one thing but the whole sensory deprivation...can't do it!
i'm sure it could a very effective form of punishment but just the thought of me being in that position really unsettles me.:eek:

_ID_
07-18-2006, 12:36 AM
Sensory depravation as punishment can be an effective tool. As you see it can be a scary undertaking for some submissives. When they get bound, they also are reasured you will not leave them. If you remove their ability to know you are there to keep them safe, it may cause panic, and when a person panics their blood pressure usually increases as well as breathing rate. If you imply you are going to leave them alone, but don't, and they don't know this. Your ensuring thier safety, and also enforcing the impact of them being left alone. A Simple touch to the nose will let them know you are there to calm them if they get to scared.

One of the things that works good for sensory deprivation is saran wrap (celllophane). It removes the bodies ability to sense heat or cold, movement of air. Also acts as a bondage tool. If you want to add in the ability to remove her smell, a simple sanding mask works well, and doesnt remove the ability to breathe. If you can aquire foam ear plugs for the ears that works well, but a good set of ear defeners (used for noise protection in industrial settings) accompanied with the foam ear plugs makes it nearly impossible to hear anything.

Enjoy

V/R
ID

MrDom
07-18-2006, 03:24 AM
Well DP is a great punishment for some subs. My present pet she is a touchie feelie person. So DP would work great as a punishment for her. But here somthing to think about to add to a DP mask small earphone attach to the mask. Then make a tape as long as you want saying how bad she is and how much you care and playing it .

MrDom

maddie
07-18-2006, 05:05 AM
I would love to try sensory deprivation sometime. Sounds yummy. We don't do punishments, so it'd be a strictly pleasure thing for us. Still. The idea is very intriguing, yet a bit intimidating at the same time.

Nikita
07-18-2006, 11:21 PM
Nikita (or any other subs who enjoy this activity) - could you express in words what it is you enjoy about sensory deprivation? Are there other activities you're atttaching to it? I'm always curious to hear the other side of the coin on something like this, even if the idea doesn't exactly tickle my fancy.

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but, it's late at night and I have some time to think about it. Some of these things listed below haven't explored enough for me to speak of with experience.

I enjoy SD with in a very abbreviated way, but it is edgy for me.

SD pushes my limits as a sub.

I like not knowing if something or nothing will come next.

Things will be done to me that I don't like but will not be in a position to object.

It keeps me in a state of heightened vigilance that evolves into subspace.

I would NOT enjoy it if I didn't trust my Dom/top; trust is essential.

Activities I associate with SD:

Blindfolds, earplugs, a mask if one was available, and a gag

Getting cropped or sexually teased when I least expect it on exposed areas, etc.

I haven't gotten saran wrapped, but it is on my list of things I want to do

Nikita
07-18-2006, 11:21 PM
Fuck the double post demons!

cariad
07-19-2006, 12:11 AM
I love sensory deprivation as a play tool – very simply it heightens expectancy, greatly increases dependency, and focuses and amplifies any sensation which is given.

But as a punishment tool – no way. And for the same reason. 15 minutes of normal corner time knowing his disapproval is enough to leave me feeling broken. Multiply that intensity and I think it could be both seriously damaging to myself and disastrous to our relationship. I would feel so completely abandoned by him in his disapproval of me (even knowing that I had not been physically abandoned) that it would soon cross that critical point and I am unsure that it would be possible to ever fully return.

Then make a tape as long as you want saying how bad she is and how much you care and playing it .

Please, no, no, no and I plead no. Filling a sub’s head in such a way with even partial negative thoughts at such a vulnerable time could take years of counseling to recover from, if the root cause was ever discovered.

cariad.

Misato36
07-19-2006, 09:19 AM
It would depend upon the person that was being punished. If the punished desperately craved contact and stimulation then it would be severe for him or her. If the punished doesn't mind the lack of interaction then it wouldn't be considered a punishment.

Nursebunny1
07-26-2006, 12:01 AM
Sensry deprivation is something I like to use alot with just one of my subs,it is a form of punishment as she hates it, (though unfortunatly she's getting more tolerant as she's getting used too it) what I usualy do is to tie her to my four poster bed and insert a pre-timed dildo. (It's usualy set too bring her close to climax once every three minutes)

Once I've inserted that I place the hood on her my male sub watches her to make sure nothing bad happens and normaly she's left for about an hour,by which time she's normaly she a quivering ball aching for an orgasm.
I'll normaly use this form of punishment if she's cummed when I've told her not too or something similar.

Nikita
07-27-2006, 08:17 PM
Sensry deprivation is something I like to use alot with just one of my subs,it is a form of punishment as she hates it, (though unfortunatly she's getting more tolerant as she's getting used too it) what I usualy do is to tie her to my four poster bed and insert a pre-timed dildo. (It's usualy set too bring her close to climax once every three minutes)

Once I've inserted that I place the hood on her my male sub watches her to make sure nothing bad happens and normaly she's left for about an hour,by which time she's normaly she a quivering ball aching for an orgasm.
I'll normaly use this form of punishment if she's cummed when I've told her not too or something similar.

Cripes, I'd be breaking rules left and right! :blurp_ani I'm taking notes.