PDA

View Full Version : Couple comments regarding BDSM Library

Taoman
08-27-2003, 10:10 AM
I have been pleased with the amount of downloads on my newest work, How Amanda Spent Her Summer Vacation. It is good to see it is being read. Feedback (ahem) is great also, even if critical. The two next chapters were uploaded several days ago and should be posted soon.

I apologize for errors I now see after posting. I could use an editor if there are any English majors out there.

I usually post my stuff on the newsgroups and storiesonline.net. The editor maintains a well-run site. My only problem has been the amount of pedo related material that gets posted.

I don’t want to be associated with that. BDSM Library seems to have more of a reader base I can relate to.

One membership problem is the “junior” designation tag. This can be read two ways. As a “SUBordinate” or a person with less tenure

BDSM_Tourguide
08-27-2003, 11:56 AM
Junior member just means that you have not yet posted 25 times. Get involved in some of the discussions and you will become a full-fledged member.

Could be worse, I suppose. The titles could be sissy member or non-contributing member. LOL

e.e. norcod
08-27-2003, 03:08 PM
I find the lack of pedo here enjoyable. I think that most of the writers would agree with me that there are some areas that will always be off limits. I think that high school stories are o.k. because that is an age where intense sexual exporation normally occurs. True pedo focuses on an age group where sexual exploration doesn't normally occur. Additionally, all too often when we see a child of ages five to eleven, engaging in sexual behavior, we find upon examination that this child has been the victim of prior or recurring sexual molestation. I guess that I don't like to be reminded of work on a site that I associate with play. I hope that the webmaster and the tourguide keep this site free of pedo.

MrStefens
08-28-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by e.e. norcod
I find the lack of pedo here enjoyable. I think that most of the writers would agree with me that there are some areas that will always be off limits. I think that high school stories are o.k. because that is an age where intense sexual exporation normally occurs. True pedo focuses on an age group where sexual exploration doesn't normally occur. Additionally, all too often when we see a child of ages five to eleven, engaging in sexual behavior, we find upon examination that this child has been the victim of prior or recurring sexual molestation. I guess that I don't like to be reminded of work on a site that I associate with play. I hope that the webmaster and the tourguide keep this site free of pedo.
I have no problem with any preferences anyone has for the themes and stories that like. I understand that it is fantasy material. And I have no issue with a moderator or creator of a site deciding what he or she will allow to be posted. If I don't agree I can lobby the site owner to change the policy, or create my own site, or find another site better suited to my likes. Freedom works that way too, I understand that.
But my personal opinion is that I am not sure once we go down the road of saying what is acceptable fantasy material and what is not, that we won't open some pretty prickly moral issues.
For example, I really enjoy discipline stories, and if they are NC and the punishment described is intense, all the better for my fantasies. Can we say that this is okay, to bind and whip or otherwise abuse a young woman against her will, but that it is more morally wrong to fantasize about getting in to some sexual situation with an 13 year old. Once we start saying what someone may have a fantasy about, or write a fantasy about, I think it gets real difficult real fast. Additionally, as many of us are obviously interested in a type of sexuality that many would find objectionable, I hesitate to agree with prohibitions against some other person's fantasy writings. Given our attorney general, the shoe could be on the other foot real fast. That's why I generally adopt the position that ALL writings, whether I agree or find them reprehensible, are acceptable and should not be banned.
That's just a personal position and I in no way intend to demean folks who hold a different view point. But my thinking is that perhaps it is best, especially in a place called BDSM Library, to understand that there is, almost by definition, themes written that will not be attempted in real life, and that others will find morally unacceptable, but allow the other person the freedom to express their interests in their stories. I try to just ignore that which does not interest me or distrubes me and move to the stories that I like.

e.e. norcod
09-02-2003, 05:42 AM
Couldn't agree more. I (we) write prose fiction which has very hefty consititutional protection. The protection afforded photography is somewhat more limited. When we come to moving graphics, consititutional protection of freedom of speech appears to reside at the whim of appointed officials not all of whom I feel comfortable with.

When it comes to what we write, we are talking preference. My tastes in what I write and read run to the cp end. This often means a school or home setting. This means that a lot of 13 to 17 year old adolescents get disciplined. I do no consider this pedo. On the other hand, I don't write about sex involving pre adolescents, I don't find this a turn on and by and large I think that most writers on this site agree.

Curtis
10-18-2003, 11:20 AM
Not wanting to be any more obnoxious than absolutely neccessary, I have to not that e.e. norcod has, perhaps inadvertantly, brought up the subject of how to define a kink (and who defines it -- the webmaster, I would presume).

He is very anti-pedo, but then suggests that pedo covers ages 11 and under. Another site I frequent defines it as age 15 and under and yet another as 13 and under. "It is a puzzlement."

I have my own 'squicks' -- pedo, scat and M/m -- but I just don't read them.

By the way, people who like stories of ages 12 and under should check out some of the collections under the ASSTR/org archive umbrella. The format is a lot harder on the eyes than BDSMLibrary, and the indexing is nearly impossible, but the selection is enormous.

rallan
11-14-2003, 01:01 AM
Indexing at asstr.org? Surely you jest :)

Individual sites within the asstr umbrella might index their stuff in clever and efficient ways, but asstr as a whole just relies on searching _everything_ for the terms you put in. And since asstr as a whole isn't indexed, it means they can't incorporate the funky features into their in-house search engine that bdsmlibrary.com can.

Still, ASSTR _does_ have a staggering amount of stories archived (it's selection of bdsm stories alone is probably bigger than this place, and then there's the ten squillion stories that have nothing to do with our favourite kinks). It's just that finding them can be a bit hit and miss sometimes.

rallan

fetish101
11-15-2003, 01:36 AM
In my opinion, nothing should be censored. I agree with Curtis that although I may have my personal dislikes for certain topics, I just look at the story codes and choose the ones I want to read. That's what they're there for. Ultimately, it is up to Jinn what he wants on his site, but from what I've seen so far from my reading I don't really think he censors much, if anything. I've seen a few stories involving children under 11 years of age, or at least I think I remember a few on this site, but not very many.

I think that to make the argument that "having sex with minors is bad in real life, so we should censor it in the literature posted on this site so we don't give people bad ideas" is flawed. Practically every movie out there from hollywood these days features killing, robbing, cheating or breaking the law in some way. This is, by the above logic, giving people the wrong/bad idea. We all know that 99% of people can disconnect fantasy from reality in that sense, so why would it be any different with the literature on this site (unless the literature on this site is based on reality..but that's different).

I guess my point is, it is not the role of this site (at least the library aspect, not necessarily the forum) to act as a good role model, or set a good example for people because rational people can and should recognize the difference between fantasy and reality.