PDA

View Full Version : This made me smile

storm
07-31-2006, 03:53 AM
I got home today, after spending the morning at a funeral, to find this in my inbox.

It made me smile.

Girl. I said. Come take my hand
And side by side in here we'll stand.
We've had our back against the wall
Together we can stop the fall.
You're fire and ice. First hot then cold.
You stand your ground but then you fold.
I give you a purpose. I give you a name.
And neither of us will be the same.
You've opened to me; I've seen your soul.
You trod a dark path and yet stayed whole.
As Alex once said the ride will be warm
As Lizard King I ride the storm.

Uncle_Ed
07-31-2006, 04:31 AM
I got home today, after spending the morning at a funeral, to find this in my inbox.

It made me smile.

I'm glad it did, storm. *smiles as well*

Tojo
07-31-2006, 04:46 AM
Sorry to hear you've been to a funeral, storm- they're not fun.

Feel free to share if you so desire, whether in public or PMs. I for one will listen, & I know there's some damn caring people here.

Take care.

Tojo

suchaminx
07-31-2006, 09:06 AM
storm

was thinking of you this morning and what wonderful words.

Same as Tojo, if you want to talk, you know where I am

~hugs~

minx xx

Silke
07-31-2006, 09:22 AM
The funeral of someone you love...the darkest walk. *sighs* I'm glad you have someone so special who cares and is there for you. If you need another open ear...I'm here. *hugs*

storm
07-31-2006, 06:46 PM
Thanks guys,

I've been working on something this morning, that I thought I'd post here as well. It's not the right place for it, it's certainly not poetry, but didn't want to start another depressing thread!

A little less than a year ago I found myself standing outside a church, preparing myself for the funeral of a friend who had decided to take her own life. Later that night we all sat and talked it through, trying to make sense of the situation, and wondering why, even though we saw the signs, we, as her friends, managed to allow her to get to such a dark point in her life, that she saw no way out.

Last night I found myself doing the exact same thing. Different person, different situation, same tragic outcome.

By now we know the drill. Talk it over, wish we’d done more, and then move on. Every year we will think of these people around this time; we’ll have a drink in their honour and play a game of Remember When.

I am tired of letting things go. When you get to a point where almost everyone you meet has lost someone unnecessarily, it’s time to realise we have a problem.

As a nation, we are so terrified of the term suicide, that the problem is constantly being swept under the rug, and we sit idly by, hoping that by refusing to talk about it will make the problem disappear. The latest statistics prove this theory to be outrageously false. And when being proven wrong has such a devastating consequence, the game of wait and see is a game we must stop playing.

Ultimately every person has the ability to make their own choice, and we cannot feel guilt over another person’s decision. We must, however, accept responsibility. If any positive outcome is to arise from such a tragedy, let it be that we walk away, more aware of the problem, and determined to do our part to fix it.

It is far too easy, when approached, to cry attention seeking than to accept that a person can find themselves in such a dark point in their lives that they cannot focus on anything, but the pain they feel at that moment in time.

Admittedly, somewhere in the midst of covering up the issue and refusing to admit it exists, suicide has become somewhat a desirable subject to many. In a sense, it’s a little like your mothers liquor cabinet. It’s forbidden, so it must be good.

I, for one, will not forget and move on today. I ask of you all the same. The next time somebody comes knocking at your door, don’t automatically assume fraud. Of course, by shutting the door on them you may save yourself an hour. By inviting them in, however, there’s a small chance you may just save a life.

Silke
07-31-2006, 07:12 PM
storm -

no matter where you place this post, it's an important one. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I've found myself in a situation like this where someone I met through work opened up to me about his suicidal thoughts. Well, not opened up out front, but if you know what to look for and do a little reading between the lines, it's there. I took a plunge and got over my own fears and spoke it out to him, offered him to be there if he wanted to talk...and he did. It's been tough to be invited into this dark world of someone feeling so absolutely hopeless and living up to the promise of being there for him, but it paid out - he's still alive and feeling better right now.

Most of his friends thought he was just bluffing and he just never felt like he could really be honest with them. Having someone to talk to who didn't pressure him, didn't only want to discard his feelings or make a decision for him, was a relief and according to his own words...opened up a door back to life. The one thing he said that stuck with me was that the simple act of someone telling him it's ok to feel this way and ok to talk about it, made a difference.

So, I'll second your thoughts...everybody - don't look away but open a door. And if you don't feel up to it yourself, ask for help. It might just be the last chance for someone you love.

And to you, storm...I wish you and your friends all the strength and support you can get to help you through your loss. I for one will be here to listen if you want to talk. *hugs*

Silke

dzire2pleeze
07-31-2006, 08:35 PM
storm, I would have never guessed in chatting with you, early this a.m. that you were so anquished by the loss of yet another friend. How tragic. I am sorry. Like the others have said, if you ever need to talk, i too am here for you..

cariad
08-01-2006, 12:18 AM
Here, for both you and your king.

cariad