PDA

View Full Version : Vanishing Act by Richard Alexander

julise
09-07-2003, 10:56 AM
I just wanted to hear from any others regarding Richard Alexander's excellent story, Vanishing Act, I was the first to review it and it has been on there since January 2002! I cannot believe that there hasn't been any reviews or posts on this story yet. Have you all read it?
Here is the link to it,
http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/stories/story.php?storyid=719
I think that it is one of the best stories on here. What do you guys think?

Aurelius
09-10-2003, 02:26 PM
I struggled with it, but highly recommend the more lighthearted and sexy Monica's Place by the same author. More episodes of which are posted elsewhere (perhaps somewhere that gives this accomplished author a little more feedback.)

http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/stories/story.php?storyid=745

julise
09-10-2003, 06:40 PM
I agree that Monica's Place is a better known story of Alexander's and while I liked it, I don't think that it captured the same excellence that Vanishing Act did. Of course this is my opinion and I realize that. But there was something about Vanishing act that pulled me in more than Monica's Place. I am not sure if it was because there were only two people to focus on, which made the characters more appealing to me, or what. I know that when I finished it I was blown away with how up and down I had been throughout the story. It even had many moments that were arousing to me. It stirred much more than Monica's Place did for me. I guess that I am just surprised that nobody else seems to share my opinion.
You don't have to. :) I just thought that perhaps somebody would.

bondage_bunny
12-14-2003, 06:24 AM
Actually, Vanishing Act was the first story that I read on this site, and I really enjoyed it. It set a high standard that a lot of other stories don't live up to.

I should go review that story now. I never got around to it in the past. My bad!

julise
12-15-2003, 07:25 AM
It is so nice to hear somebody else who appreciates Vanishing Act as much as I do. This is a story that could be on the shelves of any reputable bookstore let alone adult bookstores. The writing is brilliant and the story is gripping.
Thank you for your post Bondage Bunny.

Cleo671
12-26-2003, 07:05 PM
24 Chapters in Monica's Place..damn!! another late night I think, but not tonight.
My printer acted up silly last night, and my eyes went through a rigorous workout reading Vanishing Act.

The only teeny bit was the identity change and the passport aspect towards the end. It's hard to get around that aspect considering the female character has to switch to a male identity, being Australian it's near impossible thing to do in terms of creating ID..but so far it's one story that stands out in terms of writing.

paddle-me-pleas
02-24-2004, 04:00 PM
Vanishing Act is what brought me to these boards. I wanted to review it when I finished it a few days ago, but couldn't find out where to do so.

I LOVED Vanishing Act! I got through the whole story in one reading (but my butt was sore from sitting for so long - aside from other things I was doing ;) )

I'm a female sub and I found myself first loving these Masters and then hating their guts. The author had the perfect transition for me from Master/Dom to 'spoiled little boy' and I HATED Ash with a passion before he finally got his just rewards. I was truly hoping the heroine would either castrate him fully or outright kill him.

Either way, I was very happy with how the story ended and I MUST read Monica's place now.

Thanks for starting this thread! I'm a Richard Alexander fan for sure now!

longrover
11-07-2004, 09:44 AM
... highly recommend the more lighthearted and sexy Monica's Place ... More episodes of which are posted elsewhere http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/stories/story.php?storyid=745

There's a _*lot*_ of Richard Alexander's work at Gromet's Plaza (www.grometsplaza.com). The site has email links to authors for reviewers. I have no idea how much they get used. Hmmmm, this is the second time in 24 hours I've posted a link to Gromet's Plaza here; I'm sure it's just a wierd coincidence...

I haven't read Vanishing Act, but I will now.

Ranai
03-31-2005, 11:55 AM
As I have just added my comments on the story to the reviews, I'll take the opportunity to resurrect this thread. Vanishing Act is a truly outstanding story. The plot is suspenseful, the narrative flows well, and Richard Alexander deserves admiration for his style.

And, will wonders never cease... Vanishing Act is a plausible nc story.

Wishful thinking has its rightful place in the realm of sexual fantasies. That's why there are so many fanciful tales in the 'nonconsensual-with-inbuilt-denial' genre. With characters who get subjected to all sorts of activities against their will, and in retrospect declare themselves ever so happy about the entire nc proceedings, because after all they forced them to become the slaves they were meant to be, right...? (And yes, the nc-with-inbuilt-denial genre exists with all sorts of gender codes.)

In Vanishing Act, by contrast, there is wishful thinking, yes – but not in the plot. It's in the mind of a very special character. The narrator's point of view dissects those lies. And shows how one person's delusion causes the other person's suffering. (Though in the case of this particular narrator, neither total loss of hope nor total loss of courage.) A physical or mental breakdown, or death, would have been plausible too. But not contentment, devotion and gratitude, the ingredients of a retrospective denial plot.

My comments are not meant to discourage any writers or readers from indulging in the 'nc-&-denial' vein to their heart's content. Fantasies are valid as fantasies and should be enjoyed! As long as wishful thinking fiction is recognised as what it is. Vanishing Act is for those desirous to take a break from wishful thinking tales by means of excellent storytelling.