PDA

View Full Version : BDSM and Romance?

her_Joe
08-26-2006, 12:41 PM
This got lost in the server switch, so it's a repost -- sorry if someone's earlier response got lost!

I've been working on a novel for quite awhile now that has its first chapter up. The response has been gratifying, but it's only been a trickle and ordinarily vague, so I thought I could ask my question here --

Do you think there is a market for a BDSM Romance? Is it a niche such a novel can target and hope to experience a steady (yeah, it would be small -- goes without saying, I regret) stream of readers and maybe sales?

Interestingly, of the 27 comments so far (PC's, PM's, reviews, emails, and last night at a local munch) all but two of them have come from female submissives.

I think that's a good sign. Do you?

I had been prepared for readers to hate the story because of a lack of "action" but, gratifyingly, that hasn't happened.

I'd just like to see opinions and discussion, if you have a reaction, to the questions: "Does the concept have legs?" and "Does this novel have promise?"

Link to the Library posting of the story is in my sig. FYI, I'm collaborating in the writing of it with my sub, another poster on the site, His_pita.

TIA
her_Joe

Daes
08-26-2006, 08:10 PM
Hands down, absolutely.

"Kink (SM) Erotica is technically a Cross Genre.
You can have an amazingly kinky tale - Without Sex. All public BDSM scenes happen without sex - and are just as satisfying, because to a dedicated kinkster - the BDSM IS the Sex.

So - in SM fiction the Kink has to forward the plot – and to forward the plot, you need Dramatic Tension. If all the dramatic tension comes from somewhere OTHER than the Kink – then the Kink isn’t necessary to tell the story. If the Kink isn’t necessary to tell the story - it doesn’t belong in the story.

In any genre of fiction that genre’s main element must drive the plot to BE that genre.

In Erotica - Sex drives the plot.
In Romance - New Love drives the plot.
In BDSM fiction - The KINK drives the plot.
If you are doing a cross genre ALL elements are needed to drive the plot.

In BDSM Erotic Romance - The KINK should be the key to the Erotic situation that drives the New Love developing in the plot.

If it doesn’t forward the plot
- it doesn’t belong in the Story.
If it doesn’t belong in the story – take it out."

~Morgan Hawke

fantassy
08-26-2006, 08:27 PM
I agree 100% with everything Daes said. There is a big market for BDSM romances which seems to be growing lately. As a lifelong romance reader, I have noticed more and more BDSM elements and imagery in mainstream romances the last few years. In addition, you will find mainstream bookstores carrying Ellora's Cave and other BDSM romances. As you noted, the primary market is female - to females by far purchase the most books, so that is a great market.

I read your first chapter and really enjoyed it. Keep on writing !

fantassy

Widget
08-26-2006, 10:08 PM
I like a story that has some romance in it as well.. a happy ending I guess. It appeals to the sappy side of me that would like to be chained to someones bed and to be able to do some chaining in return til death do us part.

Timberwolf
08-26-2006, 10:50 PM
"It appeals to the sappy side of me that would like to be chained to someones bed and to be able to do some chaining in return til death do us part."

*nods*

her_Joe
08-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Mucho apologies, folks ... I didn't mean to abandon the discussion, but apparently the "instant notification" thingee isn't working so well today ---

Yes, the Morgan Hawke quote is full of good sense and rooted in a lot of wisdom and common sense. I'm hoping he's right -- perhaps the anxieties are up a tad bit too high?

Well, it's been known to happen, y'know. :rolleyes:

Thank you for your support for the point of view that encourages us to keep on churning it. I especially appreciate the fact you gave it a read, fantassy --

if anyone notices a lapse in it, now or as the chapters continue, we'd appreciate a heads up. Publishing it online provides a sort of "free" lab for feedback, which is of course another issue altogether.

I agree, too, that it's the "sappy side" that responds to such fiction. In fact, it's my opinion that BDSM is tailor made for Romance -- after all, where in sexually-oriented literature is there more emotion, and more powerful dedication to idealism, than in BDSM.

Yeah, some of us are cynical ... but still searching and that, in itself, is an act of hope ... the stuff of romance.

Since you were so good as to comment: Chapter 1, you've seen. Chapter 2 is done and waiting a respectful time before it appears. Chapter 3 is in draft and will feature some interesting changes of pace -- Pita is writing it, in fact, from her first person pov. Should make an interesting shift.

hJ

Ruby
08-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Yes, there is a market for BDSM romance.

Daes and fantassy, I too am noticing more and more BDSM elements in main stream novels.

* Nods head along with Timberwolf *

You said it Widget!

Widget
08-31-2006, 04:46 PM
I just really have this urge every time I see your avatar to scratch her behind her ears.... right ears... Love it though. hahahahah.

I can remember reading the old school harlequin romance before they got all politically correct and man those things were chock full of S & M undertones. Not to mention all the other trashy bodiance rippers my moms friend had in her collection. I would read all the naughty bits and skip the rest. hahaha

TomOfSweden
09-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Do you think there is a market for a BDSM Romance?

I hope so because I just posted part one in a series of four.

I had been prepared for readers to hate the story because of a lack of "action" but, gratifyingly, that hasn't happened.

I've got both action and romance in mine.

Rabbit1
09-26-2006, 01:05 PM
well I do not know about others relationships but romance plays a big part in mine ---I am involved with my sub in a romantic relationship as well as a Dom/sub.

Thats what a lot of newbies do not understand the BDSM lifestyle -is not all whips and chains 24/7

moptop
10-24-2006, 04:43 AM
well I do not know about others relationships but romance plays a big part in mine ---I am involved with my sub in a romantic relationship as well as a Dom/sub.

Thats what a lot of newbies do not understand the BDSM lifestyle -is not all whips and chains 24/7

So absolutely agree, Rabbit1, the D/s side of it enhances the power of the emotions and makes the love all the more complete, reach a deeper trust and knowledge of one another.

I think there is a very enthusiastic (yes, principally female sub) market for BDSM-oriented romance novels. It strikes me that BDSM feelings/desires are a lot more prevalent and mainstream than most people are willing to accept outloud; in fact I think that's one of the principle differences between people involved in the lifestyle and those not: the willingness to admit it and dive into it. For others - it remains that secret naughtiness, the unspoken desire, and that is what makes BDSM oriented romance just such a turn on for so many. I mean all the bog standard romance novels have heaving bosoms, preferably a bit of corsetting permitted by being in a historic setting, strong arms enfolding, melting into them, do anything for them... classic stuff.

More on the theory that BDSM is widespread but just not admitted out loud - there is a very popular restaurant in London called School Dinners, run by a Headmaster and Headmistress, wearing mortar & cape & wielding canes, all the waitresses (no waiters, I think) wearing short-skirted school-uniforms, stockings etc., where punters can pay to get whacked by a cane-wielding naughty girl of their choice or vice-versa. Sure, not very hard whacks... but how mainstream-but-let's-not-call-it-SM is that?

RiverOtter
10-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Romance opens up a lot of dramatic possibilities. Will the two lovers end up together? Is there some hurdle they have to get over that is keeping them apart?

A loving dom and a sadistic one, for example, fighting over the same sub (who may or may not have a choice) can make for good reading.

Readers invest more emotion in stories where they care about the characters. If the story involves nothing more than sadism, then there's no one to root for, and there's no point in sympathizing with the victim because you know they're not going to get a happy ending (even though such stories can still be sexy).

If it's a story about a bdsm romance, I think it should have some suspense, or challenges for the charatcers to overcome, or else it's too dull.

Just my two cents.