PDA

View Full Version : technical questions about BDSM device construction.

quincy451
09-04-2006, 12:14 AM
Ok me and my slave want to build a bondage backboard. A simple board say 72" in one direction by about 32" in the other. To this board we will attach a 1/2 foom pad. I am thinking of going with polyfil padding for that. It is easier to work with and less flamable than foom.

Now for the question: We was thinking of covering this in vinyl. But I got to reading the label on the material and it clearly said flamable. We most likely will not do fire play but we do some wax play. Just looking for something cheap, easy to cleanup and will not go up like a roman candle or melt when wax hits it. Any ideas?

Thanks.

cariad
09-04-2006, 12:33 AM
This is only an idea, and not something I KNOW about, but, in the UK at least, furniture has to be covered with fire retardant fabric. So if that applies for wherever you live it should be possible to get something at a soft furnishing suppliers.

I think it is also important that you use fire retardant foam - that stuff can both burn with flames and give off poisonous fumes. If the covering did burn, or was pierced due to heavy use, it could catch fire and ... shudders. Again, in the UK, it is possible to buy foam which is designed for soft furnishing use, which would obviously be suitable.

Whatever solution you go for, I would suggest taking a small sample outdoors, dripping wax, much hotter than you would use on your slave, so you have a margin of error, and seeing what happens. If the sample is still in one piece let the flame touch the sample - remember there is an outside chance you might drop your candle at some time - and picture your slave tied to it. Could you get her off it in time to save her?

Since you are making this from scratch, it is possible to build in a quick release system, just in case something goes wrong, not necessarily fire?

Not knowing anything about your relationship with your slave, but if you (plural) enjoyed such things, you could always ask her to contact your local fire station and ask to speak to the fire safety officer, explaining the requirements.

cariad

_ID_
09-04-2006, 12:37 AM
The cost might be out of the question, but leather would be my first choice. After that I would consider a heavy canvas. The leather obviously would be better on the skin, but canvas would be considerably cheaper. After canvas, I would probably consider some sort of natural fiber material, wool, cotton, something of that nature.

V/R
ID

quincy451
09-05-2006, 02:13 AM
I think the testing idea is a good one. I will go with that. As for building in a quick release that is not possible without over complicating the design. The design is really simple but very affective for what I want to achieve. The quick release method I have in mind for anything that might go wrong from full fire which I want to AVOID at all cost to something as simple as a muscle cramp gone wrong is to have a good pair of sissors on hand and quickly cut the rope. But doing that will require about 20cuts if my slave is in full bondage with this. Workable for something like a muscle cramp, unacceptable for a rapidly expanding fire.

I will test with wax like 1/2 inch away and I will test with short duration flame contact to see what happens. I will also look at canvas materials. I also intend to go with the safer foam that lists itself as being fire resistant.

Thanks.

_ID_
09-05-2006, 03:29 AM
On the quick release note - Are you using this as simply a table to lay on, or to secure your sub to it. If you are going to secure her to it, they make quick release clips that can be opened with one hand. Its called a panic snap set. I have included a photo of what they look like. You can find them online, but I have also found them in hardware stores on occasion.

V/R
ID

ElectricBadger
09-08-2006, 02:12 AM
"Retardant" cloth, as mentioned above, from a UK supplier:
http://www.fabricuk.com/fabrics.php?&fabric_type=278#dataform

These are probably overkill, but a supplier of cloth for serious applications (welding cloth, etc.) I'd suggest looking into Nomex.
http://www.thermostatic.com/cloth.shtml

Good luck, and I hope you'll link a picture of the design / final product! I just completed a few items myself, hopefully I'll have pics up in a bit.

Edit: On the second site, anything with an "MSDS" (material safety data sheet) should be avoided.

_ID_
09-08-2006, 02:42 AM
Things with an MSDS are not nessicarily hazardous, it just means the item is used in industry by workers, and the manufacture has complied with the requirement to give any precautionary information.

V/R
ID

Desperadosong
09-12-2006, 08:14 PM
On the quick release note - Are you using this as simply a table to lay on, or to secure your sub to it. If you are going to secure her to it, they make quick release clips that can be opened with one hand. Its called a panic snap set. I have included a photo of what they look like. You can find them online, but I have also found them in hardware stores on occasion.

V/R
ID

Try the local Tack shop or farmer supply. These were designed for horses origionaly. ;)

Ds