PDA

View Full Version : Annoying reviews

jamb
09-04-2006, 05:40 AM
OK, I'll be the first to admit that I obsess over certain reviews - frankly I shouldn't, and I should take criticism constructively and that sort of thing, it's just recently I got the most annoying review for one of my stories - Petrol Station. I was expecting average reviews, perhaps people not liking my style of writing, that sort of thing, but I got one good review - which I was delighted by - and then one awful one, bringing my average down to 5.5/10. I would have been fine with this, but the reason given was that I had written the wrong story. It made little to no sense, and a person agreed with me, saying that one should review the story there.
The thing is that I got two really good reviews for that and one one-star one - bringing down my average and probably meaning less people read it.

A-grrrrrr!

I'm definitely taking this too seriously. But still.

Sir_G
09-04-2006, 06:59 AM
Hey jamb Neil Young wrote a sond and a lyric in it went "...and numbers add up to nothing." They are numbers and they mean by themselves nothing. They do not define who we are or why we write. They just simply are numbers. Take a deep breath and ask yourself "Am I having fun yet."

I'd suggest you are you just don't know it at the moment.

jamb
09-04-2006, 07:30 AM
OK, I appreciate that. I am having fun, and it doesn't bother me that much, it's just that review angered me quite a bit. I was just a bit amazed that he could say something like that. Oh well.

Rabbit1
09-04-2006, 08:41 AM
OK, I appreciate that. I am having fun, and it doesn't bother me that much, it's just that review angered me quite a bit. I was just a bit amazed that he could say something like that. Oh well.

LOL you should see the reviews my story got ---I published the same story on several other sites ---got all great reviews---published the same story here got slammed ---LOL funny thing is it is one I get a monthly check for every time someone downloads it from a pay site----

My friend you need to write for yourself---if it pleases you ---then it is great ---thank the people who enjoyed it and ignore those who just have to nit pick a story to pieces----I keep telling reviewers -- not to expect litary masterpieces ---if it is readable ---you enjoy the subject ----so what if there are a few grammar or spelling errors ----

so keep on writing --just do it to please yourself ----the ones who do not like it ---so what let them read something else

Lady Dena
09-04-2006, 10:06 AM
Petrol Station was a very well written story. Whether someone "gets off" on it or not, they have to admit that whoever wrote it is obviously a good writer. I wouldn't worry about the one bad review you got -- everyone has their own personal tastes.

- Lady Dena

jamb
09-04-2006, 04:25 PM
I really appreciate that - it was just very frustrating. Thanks rabbit - I always try to write for myself rather than other people, as really you should just stick to what you know. Cheers Lady Dena too - I'm getting over it...eventually...

Tojo
09-04-2006, 04:49 PM
If you're still with us jamb....:eek:

Yeah like the others say- you know you're a good writer, right?

Wasn't it Stephen King who was trashed for years? I remember reading somewhere that a writer needs a thick skin more than talent....

And btw- I hate that you're getting paid for it!

Tojo

Widget
09-04-2006, 06:06 PM
Haha reviews a double edged sword. when they are great you are exhaulted, when the are bad you are trashed about it.

I always write for myself and take anything said either way with a grain of salt. I know there is always gonna be that one or two reviews that will kinda grate on you but hey, if you are still happy with your work and the review was not constructive, then stand by your work and say to hell with you all. Heh

Timberwolf
09-04-2006, 06:21 PM
I haven't reviewed stories here, but in general reviews fall into two kinds: reviews for your writing skills, or reviews for the content.

Obviously if someone doesn't like your content there is the chance they write a bd review, but frankly I think that's very immature. If I don't like the actual content of something I'm reading, I stop reading it, not bitch at the author for not writing the exact story I wanted to see.

Comments on writing structure tend to be far more useful really. Hopefully most people keep that in mind when trying to offer constructive criticism of a piece.

Ruby
09-04-2006, 11:39 PM
jamb,

Put on your bullet proof superhero underwear and take those reviews with a grain of salt.

I got bashed the other day on a story that won an award. The reviewer complained about my spelling and even took the time to point out a word that bothered them. The word was spelled and used correctly. No kidding.

You can't please everyone, but you can please yourself.

Overtime, you'll recieve higher ratings and the low one will factor out. If it really bothers you, politely ask the person who rated it, to re-rate it based on the rating formulas given and not their personal feelings about the story.

As for me, I when I read the stories in the library, I usually don't look at the ratings. If they seem low, I might look at the reviews first, but I'll give the story a chance if it's about a topic I want to read.

* shakes head *

How could you have written the wrong story?

I'd probably print and save that review to keep in my "I can't believe I got this review" file.

To your success. Write on!

Ruby

gagged_Louise
09-05-2006, 03:19 AM
I felt Petrol Station was a really good story, stylish and with true sense of the genre. You love Stephen King and half trashy horror movies like The Hitcher and Escape from New York, don't you? Have you seen Kathryn Bigelow's Near Dark where a gang of road cowboys and chopper kids turn out to be modern-day vampires? I'd recommend it to anyone here on the board, it's both frightening, sexy and funny, and with great photography as well.

Your piece moves somewhere between thriller and sex story, it's got real momentum and a sense of mystery. keep up the good work!

scabrat
09-05-2006, 05:30 AM
, but the reason given was that I had written the wrong story. A-grrrrrr!

I'm definitely taking this too seriously. But still.

Well you should have checked with the reviewer first shouldn't you, silly! Reminds me of the old Harry Enfield sketches: 'you don't wanna do it like that!'
:old: bless em!

Nikita
09-05-2006, 01:16 PM
jamb,

After a year of reviewing stories and having my stories reviewed, I learned a few things that helped re-align my perspective, not always, but most of the time.

1. Check the reviewer's ratings for other stories and see if you agreed with some of them. If you see a lot of low scores and the stories have a lot of scores on the high end, rest assured it's not all your writing skills that landed you that number.

2. If the disparity is by a large margin, you could email the person, like Ruby suggested, and politely ask them to re-read the story and adjust the score. The keyword is politely.

3. You can respond politely to the review and say that you will take their remarks under consideration and thank them for reading it.:o

Nikita

jamb
09-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Thank you very much everyone - I appreciate it greatly. Thank you very much, Gagged_Louise - have actually not read much Steven King, but do love his sort of style.

pejanon
09-05-2006, 03:39 PM
How about this. The second 'rewiever' of the very firsts story I posted on Library gave it *2* because - he did not read it! Supposedly the writing was that bad. Fortunately the other rewievers did not agree.

Great review is WOW.

Bad review in which the reviewer EXPLAINS why they think it bad and perhaps give some suggestions is OK.

Reviews based on 'I hate activity A - threfore your story is crap' are - crap.

These lil red stars Do matter - when i just browse and i find something interesting - it is more probale I wll read it if it has five stars.

And - I admit, if I see a story with all highh rating - I WILL check it out.

But, taking reviews TOO seriously is not healty for a writer.

H Dean
09-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Wow. I read that review. It wasn't annoying. It was stupid. Judging by the brief amount of the story that I read, it was not deserving of a "1" rating - not by a long shot. Maybe that was the reviewers IQ?

Polecat
09-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Personally, If I don't like the way a story is written I use Thumper's rule: If you can't say something nice about someone, it is better to say nothing at all.

Rabbit1
09-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Personally, If I don't like the way a story is written I use Thumper's rule: If you can't say something nice about someone, it is better to say nothing at all.

exactly ---or hey good story but the few spelling errors did kind of distract from it

Widget
09-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Its difficult for some people to understand the purpose of a review. For someone to get angry with the story about its direction and trash it because of that is not a mark of a mature reader anyway. I can't say I have not been angry about an authors turn of events but it didn't make me trash the story either.

Thumper was wise little bunnie indeed.

jamb
09-08-2006, 05:41 PM
Thanks very much again guys - it's not so much of a bother now. I'm interested to see what other ridiculous stories people have about reviewers though as well - it's encouraging...

pejanon
09-09-2006, 09:01 AM
Wow. I read that review. It wasn't annoying. It was stupid. Judging by the brief amount of the story that I read, it was not deserving of a "1" rating - not by a long shot. Maybe that was the reviewers IQ?

lol. Well, he adresses himself with a royal WE so.......

I absolutely agree with thumper rule... there a zillion free stories out there so.... why single out several to throw dung at?

I did point out faults (IMO) in some stories - but these were the ones I LIKED and thought they could be better.

Ashtree
01-10-2007, 03:36 AM
I'm the co-author (well, principal writer) of 'Missy's Misfortune' which is a series about a girl abducted by a group of women, auctioned off to one of them and subsequently abused by them.

Most of the reviews were favourable, which is of course nice but I got really pissed off by one review in particular.

It picked me up on lots of what I'd consider little things such as how many cctv cameras in Malls, how a PC engineer would easily find out that someone's pc had been infected by a virus etc. But seemed to blithely accept the biggest work of fiction in the story; namely that there is a group of professional women who go around abducting teenage girls.

Did make me wonder exactly what the reviewer reads stories for.

Ozme52
01-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Well, (and I'm not a reviewer per se, and certainly not that particular reviewer,) sometimes the devil's in the details.

Any good piece of fiction requires a 'suspension of disbelief' as they say. Put unlikely characters in unlikely situations? Sure. Ask me to pretend everything about the world around them is also unlikely... and a story can lose a lot of appeal...

So attention to detail can pay off. Many wouldn't care about the mall cameras etc., obviously someone did. You can either take such things into account next time or ignore them and perhaps lose some of your readers.

I'm a real bug-a-boo, for example, when it comes to medieval settings. Know the difference between a mace and a morning star. That sort of thing. LOL. You're not going to please everyone regardless of how hard you try.

ElectricBadger
01-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Mm...as mentioned, yes, the details are a big deal; in many ways a bigger one than the main violations of reality. The review still wasn't bad, though -- an 8 is very respectable -- and probably the reviewer was simply looking for the small details that make a good story great.

I'd comment more, but there seem to be some other issues going on as well; sorry to hear you won't be contributing to that story any more!

H Dean
01-13-2007, 02:36 PM
I have to offer that I disagree with Thumper's rule. I always try to offer a review for any story I read. If it is good or bad, I try to let the author know why. Of course, I end up pissing off a few authors here and there, but they know why I liked or didn't like their story. If they are an author who is actually interested in improving they will take comments at face value - as honest critisim meant to aid in future writings. If they just want praise they tend to react in a less than stellar manner.

One thing I always try to do, when one of my stories gets a negative review, is to review the reviewer. That is, I check the previous reviews they have offered. If they consistantly flame stories or tend to review bad stories with praise I try to ignore the review. If, on the other hand, they consistantly offer thought out and considerate reviews I tend to pay close attention to the good, the bad and the ugly of their review.

Aussiegirl1
01-14-2007, 02:16 AM
I have to offer that I disagree with Thumper's rule. I always try to offer a review for any story I read. If it is good or bad, I try to let the author know why. Of course, I end up pissing off a few authors here and there, but they know why I liked or didn't like their story. If they are an author who is actually interested in improving they will take comments at face value - as honest critisim meant to aid in future writings. If they just want praise they tend to react in a less than stellar manner.

Oh yes, I agree with H Dean here. I have appreciated his honest reviews in the past, even if I did dread what he had to say at times too LOL I know that any comment made was designed to improve my writing and I think it did.

I think it all depends on the way the review is written too. I find that if the reviewer adds positives as well as negatives, it softens the review. Writers need to know what they have done well as much as they need to know the areas that need to be improved.

Ashtree
01-16-2007, 06:12 AM
Well, (and I'm not a reviewer per se, and certainly not that particular reviewer,) sometimes the devil's in the details.

Any good piece of fiction requires a 'suspension of disbelief' as they say. Put unlikely characters in unlikely situations? Sure. Ask me to pretend everything about the world around them is also unlikely... and a story can lose a lot of appeal...

So attention to detail can pay off. Many wouldn't care about the mall cameras etc., obviously someone did. You can either take such things into account next time or ignore them and perhaps lose some of your readers.

I'm a real bug-a-boo, for example, when it comes to medieval settings. Know the difference between a mace and a morning star. That sort of thing. LOL. You're not going to please everyone regardless of how hard you try.

Of course that's true, and I would be the first to admit that my writing skills are limited and if someone hauled me over the coals for bad grammar or frequent repetition of words or phrases I'd plead guilty immediately, but what I was driving at was that reviews like the one I mentioned are like the people who watch American Civil War dramas (for example) and latch onto the fact that one of the characters used a gun that wasn't issued to the U.S. Army until 1870 etc, etc.

There is a bigger picture involved.

H Dean
01-16-2007, 11:50 PM
Of course that's true, and I would be the first to admit that my writing skills are limited and if someone hauled me over the coals for bad grammar or frequent repetition of words or phrases I'd plead guilty immediately, but what I was driving at was that reviews like the one I mentioned are like the people who watch American Civil War dramas (for example) and latch onto the fact that one of the characters used a gun that wasn't issued to the U.S. Army until 1870 etc, etc.

There is a bigger picture involved.You are speaking of a fairly big mistake, really. I don't think I would completely trash a story for one mistake like that - there is, as you say, a bigger picture. However, missing obvious things - like video cameras in a mall - is a pretty big mistake.

Writing is like robbing a bank with an empty gun. It all goes smothly until someone notices that the chambers are empty.

ElectricBadger
01-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Well...for the record on that specifically, I've worked security in malls and to be honest, no, there aren't a ton of cameras on everything, particularly in the promenade. Why WOULD there be, really? No reason to keep the benches and potted plants under 100% surveillance. The stores have their own security if they need it, and those that do rely on something better than a mall rent-a-cop.

Ashtree
01-22-2007, 12:03 AM
The Mall incident referred to actually takes place in the car-park, which I guess would be less under camera surveillance than the Mall itself.

H Dean
01-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Well, don't let it bring you down. Just take that as one example of how people can get picky. The only way to avoid such things is to quit writing. And that would suck.

Rabbit1
01-24-2007, 08:51 PM
Well, don't let it bring you down. Just take that as one example of how people can get picky. The only way to avoid such things is to quit writing. And that would suck.

you are quite right ----write to please yourself ---and I know it is hard but try to ignore the who most of the time have trouble writing a letter --much less a story ---comments ----

golden Rule ---those that can write do ---those that can't usually become critics

Mad Lews
01-25-2007, 01:59 PM
I've noticed a few things about the review process. It might just be me but it seems the first review tends to set the tone. It’s as if reviewers read the other reviews before striking out on their own. I should also mention that the most popular story I’ve written is also the lowest rated. A historic spoof (Lien the Fifth (http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/stories/story.php?storyid=3873)) which started out nasty and got worse was critiqued as not being erotic enough, based on the first chapter. Perhaps it was a fair sentiment though It was was meant to be vicious and sadistic and not really envisioned as a terribly erotic story. The first reviewer hit it with a 2 and the next two were 5 and 7 then I got some more reasonable critiques.
Still the story has nearly thirty five thousand hits and only ten reviews so you have to figure the bulk of the people reading it aren’t interested in the reviews
Just some rambling thoughts
Mad Lews

Rabbit1
01-25-2007, 07:38 PM
I've noticed a few things about the review process. It might just be me but it seems the first review tends to set the tone. It’s as if reviewers read the other reviews before striking out on their own. I should also mention that the most popular story I’ve written is also the lowest rated. A historic spoof (Lien the Fifth (http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/stories/story.php?storyid=3873)) which started out nasty and got worse was critiqued as not being erotic enough, based on the first chapter. Perhaps it was a fair sentiment though It was was meant to be vicious and sadistic and not really envisioned as a terribly erotic story. The first reviewer hit it with a 2 and the next two were 5 and 7 then I got some more reasonable critiques.
Still the story has nearly thirty five thousand hits and only ten reviews so you have to figure the bulk of the people reading it aren’t interested in the reviews
Mad Lews

you are quite right Mad ----really a small percentage of the readers bother with a review ---I think most do not even look at the reviews ---

I think the number of hits reflect more than the reviews do ---but that is just my opinion ---lol

H Dean
01-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Mad LewsI remember that story fairly well. Rather brutal and violent with snide bits of humor slapped across it. I do believe I read it over several weeks, keeping the trash can nearby for those ocassions when I felt a gravity leave my intestinal fortitude behind...it was a good damned story.

You are right, of course...an initial review will often bring about reviews of similar nature. Unfortunately, people don't want to be the first to break stride and would rather offer a half assed review than offer their honesty. Also, offering a "real" review is often too much work. Laziness is high and productivity is low. What can you say.

Do take heart, oh Mad one, in knowing that most of those poor reviews you received - at least the ones I read - appear to have been written by dolts. Anyone who would provide you with a "2" has an axe to grind and is not reviewing honestly or in the spirit of the review process. They may not like your tales but your technical skills are far and above a "2". Take heart, too, in knowing that most (if not all) of your fellow writers hold your skills in high regard.

Hmm, that gives me a notion...we should try a new thread; "Reviewing the Reviewer". In this thread we would bring particularly off reviews to light and all offer comments as to whether or not it is a justified review. Who knows, it might be fun and we might learn something. Or, just blow off steam.

Mad Lews
01-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Hmm, that gives me a notion...we should try a new thread; "Reviewing the Reviewer". In this thread we would bring particularly off reviews to light and all offer comments as to whether or not it is a justified review. Who knows, it might be fun and we might learn something. Or, just blow off steam.

A loverly notion Mr. Dean:) but I've a better Idea (I think). Rather than elevate the idiots or stew in resentment take all that angst and use it for inspiration. A number of my stories are the results of snide comments and snippy critiques (Lien was written for a reviewer who constantly complained that I should be a bit harsher) Others are inspired by reviews that I've given to encourage struggling writers ("Review This Story" being the most obvious case in point).
So, not to be mocking Pollyanna but you can always use the nasty little comments to inspire a more eloquent form of vengeance.
Yours
Truly Mad
Lews

H Dean
01-27-2007, 06:15 PM
You are far more civilized than your stories would lead one to believe. I prefer a direct shot to the groin, followed by a rusty rasp raked aross their back several times.

But I am a barbarian.

Mad Lews
01-27-2007, 09:14 PM
You are far more civilized than your stories would lead one to believe. I prefer a direct shot to the groin, followed by a rusty rasp raked aross their back several times.

But I am a barbarian.

Which might explain your enormous popularity on this sight :rolleyes:
Civil? :confused: Moi? and I thought I had a sense of humor.:)
Mad

Ashtree
01-28-2007, 04:32 AM

Yea, I know, guess I'm just sulking.

Mad Lews
01-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Yea, I know, guess I'm just sulking.

Perhaps it be time to "write on" ;)
not to rehash the sixties or anything
'twould be nice to see something new from thee,
(no pressure)
Mad

tessa
01-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Ok, hmm...so I've read through this thread twice now. I will say that I am greatly guilty of reading stories without offering a review after I do so. :o I've seen comments from authors in this thread ranging from, to paraphrase, 'damn people piss me off telling me about what I write' to 'well, I appreciate a thoughtful review'. Having read stories, and having thoughts on most of them, my queries are chronicled below.

Rabbit wrote "golden Rule ---those that can write do ---those that can't usually become critics", which makes me think that offering a review is a bad, bad thing and that if one does take the time to generate an opinion, one can't put together thoughts in the written story form (which I happen to know "one" can, just hasn't done so here is all). But the furry author also remarked, "you are quite right Mad ----really a small percentage of the readers bother with a review ---I think most do not even look at the reviews", which almost leads me to believe that leaving a few words in the way of a review might not be so distasteful to the author. I also took note of what H Dean had to say. "You are right, of course...an initial review will often bring about reviews of similar nature. Unfortunately, people don't want to be the first to break stride and would rather offer a half assed review than offer their honesty. Also, offering a "real" review is often too much work. Laziness is high and productivity is low." Reading that, I actually do believe that honest, well thought out reviews are welcomed by the author. As I am a bit confused, could someone please comment on which way this train of thought travels?

Mad Lews delivered the following: "Still the story has nearly thirty five thousand hits and only ten reviews so you have to figure the bulk of the people reading it aren’t interested in the reviews...". On the other side of the coin I now toss is Aussiegirl with "I think it all depends on the way the review is written too. I find that if the reviewer adds positives as well as negatives, it softens the review. Writers need to know what they have done well as much as they need to know the areas that need to be improved." I must ponder...are the readers the intended target for the review(er) or is it the author that is in the line of fire? I ask because, in my role of reader-only at the moment, I do not look at the reviews myself. I look for specific content most days. Other days I will look at the brief description of the story, and if it slams up against me the proper way, I'll take a look. So if I do combine readership with reviewer status, how should a reviewer, potential or otherwise, aim that particular set of review words? At the reader or the author? Perhaps both? Anyone with ideas about all that?

And to Ashtree and jamb who were bothered by certain words, maybe you can take solace in the fact that they are just that...words? No real power to them unless you allow it. ~thinks of past criticism and shudders~ Well, for the most part anyway. :)

All my best-
tessa

H Dean
01-29-2007, 01:00 AM
Tessa,

First of all, I do enjoy getting a review, good or bad, so long as it is thoughtful. Frankly, I would much rather have an "8" with a well thought out offering of critisism than a "10" with a "nice story". Don't get me wrong, I like the latter, it just doesn't have the impact the former does.

I would encourage you to offer reviews. It does tend to spur authors onward. Knowing that ones work is appreciated is quite rewarding and tends to make authors work all the more diligently. I think I can speak for most of us when I say that, somewhere in the recesses of our minds, we all strive to write that one tale that will acheive perfect tens.

I think you will notice that there is one consistent beef that we all share; idiotic reviews. Those are the reviews that trash a story based on one mistake or because the story theme was distasteful to the reader. Doing so is simply unfair and clearly against the stated review policy.

But please, feel free to offer reviews. I encourage it. Even if you give me a harsh review. So long as it is honest and based on the quality of the story - not on content or entirely based one or two minor gaffes.

Mad Lews
01-29-2007, 07:45 AM
Tessa,
Yup writers as a lot aren't very consistent.
To add to the confusion let me ramble some more.
Reviewers should (hopefully) be readers, sometimes you wonder but I think that's true for the most part.
The reviews are sometimes directed at the author and sometimes at the readers, that depends on the reviewer and how they phrase it, a bit like writing from a point of view.
Authors LUV reviews for the most part, it means someone cared enough to take keyboard to screen and state their thoughts on your efforts.
Of course if the gist of those thoughts is "You SUCK!!" then the charm and worth of the review is somewhat diminished unless it is accompanied by a more detailed explanation or even some constructive suggestions.
The scoring might be of greater interest to potential readers and that may indeed be what makes the writers a bit twitchy about the whole process. Perhaps the two should be separated, a review section for the writers feedback and a scoring section for the audience made up of people who have read the story and need do nothing more than punch a number to register their vote.
Still we have what we have and we muddle through smiling and gripping as the spirit moves us.
Mad & Lews

tessa
01-29-2007, 08:19 AM
All righty then...review time it is. The written part delivered mostly for the author side of things and the rating given with a personal opinion slant having other readers in mind...gotcha.

Thank you, H Dean and Mad Lews (or Mad & Lews...a case of split personality or just a mood? :)), for clearing that all up for me.

Off to the review boards...

tessa :wave:

H Dean
01-29-2007, 09:16 AM
Tessa....watch out. Both Mad and Lews bite. Hmm...that an be taken a couple ways.

tessa
01-29-2007, 10:07 AM
Tessa....watch out. Both Mad and Lews bite. Hmm...that can be taken a couple ways.

In that case...

~thinks of donning chain maille, but ultimately decides against it~

I don't mind such bites...either way. But thank you ever so much for the warning. :)

Mad Lews
01-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Um :rolleyes: Tessa,
Please be aware that Mr. Dean is sometimes prone to vast exaggeration. It's why I sometimes call him Howard. Let me assure you that both Mad and Lews are perfect gentlemen in the most basic meaning of the word. It is true that some find Lews a tad eccentric at times but he's totally harmless. He has never bitten, chewed or masticated any of his domestic partners except when invited to by said victim. Well there was that incident in 98 with Sharon… and then again last fall with Sally, but they were both asking for it in a more or less straightforward kind of round about way.
In any event charges were never pressed so it really never happened in a legal sense.
But I digress, please do feel free to review without worry. Mad doesn't mind and Lews can't read.
I'm sure it's perfectly safe.
Mad Lews

H Dean
01-29-2007, 11:15 PM
Mad LewsThis is about the place the scary music kicks in. You know, when everyone should get out of the water.

J's blu
01-30-2007, 01:12 AM
well, i dont mind getting out the water, as long as i have a GOOD story to read!!

tessa
01-30-2007, 08:15 AM
He has never bitten, chewed or masticated any of his domestic partners except when invited to by said victim. Well there was that incident in 98 with Sharon… and then again last fall with Sally, but they were both asking for it in a more or less straightforward kind of round about way.
In any event charges were never pressed so it really never happened in a legal sense.
Not saying I don't trust your Mad and Lews, but perhaps I should contact Sharon and Sally, just to reassure myself that they are both well and good, all limbs still in the proper places and attached...that sort of thing? Just a thought...

But I digress, please do feel free to review without worry. Mad doesn't mind and Lews can't read.
I know for certain I read a thread in which the reading prowess of Lews was discussed. I just know it!! ~eyes you somewhat suspiciously~ Now I have to search the Forums from top to sideways in order to check your version of the truth! A bugger of a task.

I must agree with H Dean on this. That phrase is used only when horribly disastrous events are distinctly imminent. I will be nowhere near the water when I post a review to your stories. Ok, ok, granted, keeping my dainty toes from splashing about while I do review might also be a good idea seeing as I use the computer to do so, but still, that doesn't negate the need to be wary of the pitfalls of the dreaded "perfectly safe" syndrome.

Please be aware that Mr. Dean is sometimes prone to vast exaggeration. It's why I sometimes call him Howard.

Profound apologies, H Dean, as I did have to giggle a bit on that one. Not so much about your exaggerative skills, but the reference..."the scream heard 'round the world" and such. Oh my! Another fit of humor just thinking of it. But seriously, it will be my ~giggles~ most determined effort ~giggles again~ to make sure I refrain ~almost laughing full on~ from engaging in such ~mentally chants, "I will stop laughing!...I will stop laughing!"~ shameless mockery. ~sighs and wipes away the laffy tears~ Ahem...yes, I will do my best.

And now my Southern guilt has sauntered in to chastise me about the fun-making, so to Mr. Dean (the screamer, not the exaggerator (and I'm not calling H Dean and exaggeration aficionado...that was Mad, or was it Lews?? oh bother! and I can't do another set of parentheses)), bless your heart, sugar pie.

But just to make my own sort of claim to what is and what isn't so. Mad Lews, I have read a few of your stories now. It is definitely not your bites I am concerned about. And H Dean...living wall art. Need I say more?

Continued brilliant writing to you both! :)

tessa

H Dean
01-30-2007, 09:18 AM
well, i dont mind getting out the water, as long as i have a GOOD story to read!!You just wanna get et!

H Dean
01-30-2007, 02:07 PM
I don't know who this "Howard" fellow is, but I am sure he is an upstanding fellow who only states what is obvious to all, without overstating things. Why anyone would state that I am prone to exageration I do not know and I certainly disagree, vehemently. It is a tremendous slight that has been done to me, and I fear I shall be forced to take to my sick bed for the hurt this has caused. Woe is me!

tessa
01-30-2007, 03:06 PM
I don't know who this "Howard" fellow is, but I am sure he is an upstanding fellow who only states what is obvious to all, without overstating things. Why anyone would state that I am prone to exageration I do not know and I certainly disagree, vehemently. It is a tremendous slight that has been done to me, and I fear I shall be forced to take to my sick bed for the hurt this has caused. Woe is me!

~adorns self in nurse's costume~ Basically, this is all I can really do, as I'm kinda squeamish around sick bed people.

~looks around~ And I see no exaggeration anywhere at all. Not a lick of it.

Feel better yet? I sure hope so as this costume is a might constricting in a few places and I am close to laughing again.

Mad Lews
01-30-2007, 05:44 PM
~adorns self in nurse's costume~ Basically, this is all I can really do, as I'm kinda squeamish around sick bed people.

~looks around~ And I see no exaggeration anywhere at all. Not a lick of it.

Feel better yet? I sure hope so as this costume is a might constricting in a few places and I am close to laughing again.

"Is that a thermometer in your hand or do you just like to poke a man when he's down?"
My sincere wishes for Mr. Dean's (can I call you James? No, I thought not.)
speedy recovery.
Mad Lews

J's blu
01-30-2007, 06:07 PM
poor poor Dean Sir, having to deal with these totally scurrilous accusations of His ability to embellish and enhance His descriptions of troo happenings.

but what i need to know is, can i still get et?
hoping ofr Your speedy recovery!!

blu

H Dean
01-30-2007, 11:05 PM
I believe that I am being mocked. There shall be no mockery on my watch! Back, ye scurrilous louts, Back, I say, lest I smite you with my wit and abrasive kitchen cleaner!

Mad Lews
01-31-2007, 03:15 AM
All righty then...review time it is. The written part delivered mostly for the author side of things and the rating given with a personal opinion slant having other readers in mind...gotcha.

Thank you, H Dean and Mad Lews (or Mad & Lews...a case of split personality or just a mood? :)), for clearing that all up for me.

Off to the review boards...

tessa :wave:
tessa dear,
See that wasn't all that hard, and if you take a moment to count your fingers and toes you'll see most of them are still there. I'm Surprised you ploughed through Caesar, not to be sexist but I always thought it had a more masculine appeal, shows what I know.
Mad

Mad Lews
01-31-2007, 03:22 AM
I believe that I am being mocked. There shall be no mockery on my watch! Back, ye scurrilous louts, Back, I say, lest I smite you with my wit and abrasive kitchen cleaner!

Howard,
The sweet young thing in that tight little nurse uniform (the one holding the corkscrew syringe) claims acute paranoia is an early sign of recovery. Glad to see you're well on your way.
Mad

tessa
01-31-2007, 06:55 AM
tessa dear,
See that wasn't all that hard, and if you take a moment to count your fingers and toes you'll see most of them are still there. I'm Surprised you ploughed through Caesar, not to be sexist but I always thought it had a more masculine appeal, shows what I know.
Mad

~counts fingers and toes...wiggles them as well, just to make sure...notices strange markings on my left pinky finger...looks over at you...looks back at my finger...looks back over to you, a very wary look on my face as I tuck my hands in the pocket of my hoodie and sit with my feet tucked under me~ Oh, be sexist, Mr. Mad! It's so the un-pollie-C thing to do these days and I do appreciate the unconventional...which is why I read Ceasar. My admiration of your story was meant in no way to cause you doubt regarding your authority on the preferences of your gendered readers. You still know everything there is to know about that, I feel sure.

As for Ceasar, you had me at "feel free to scream, bitch". And while there were a couple times throughout my focused perusal that gave me pause to consider my decision to undertake such a challenge, my curiosity in finding out if proud Rebecca would ultimately fall apart (which she did, thank you very much) overcame any qualms I may have had. Besides, Cassius is such a delightfully evil thing (what he did to Leona was inspired). I enjoyed him throughout the entire story.

But most of all (selfishly so), it was nice to be the surprise instead of the cliche. So thank you for that as well. :)

tessa

tessa
01-31-2007, 07:09 AM
~holds syringe in one hand and thermometer in the other...my tight little costume and impossibly high heels making me wiggle about a bit~ I do hope you are feeling better, Mr. Dean, because honest to goodness, I don't know the first thing about using either one of these. They could prove highly dangerous in my very uncapable hands.

~thinks I may have just provided a story idea with that~

And I wouldn't dare mock you! That would make me a lout and rude at the same time. I don't do those together as a general rule. Although I might give it a try if there's a possibility of having your wit smite me around some. ;)

tessa

H Dean
01-31-2007, 02:43 PM
Howard,
The sweet young thing in that tight little nurse uniform (the one holding the corkscrew syringe) claims acute paranoia is an early sign of recovery. Glad to see you're well on your way.
MadShe better keep that thing away from Howard's End.

H Dean
01-31-2007, 02:55 PM
~holds syringe in one hand and thermometer in the other...my tight little costume and impossibly high heels making me wiggle about a bit~ I do hope you are feeling better, Mr. Dean, because honest to goodness, I don't know the first thing about using either one of these. They could prove highly dangerous in my very uncapable hands.

~thinks I may have just provided a story idea with that~

I should say so. Perhaps I should liberate such implements from your person; they are not for the uninoculated - and it is clear that you need an inoculation. Step close, bend over and...well, wait for it.

And I wouldn't dare mock you! That would make me a lout and rude at the same time. I don't do those together as a general rule. Although I might give it a try if there's a possibility of having your wit smite me around some. ;)

tessaYou already appear to be smitten by my wit. Shall I indulge in overkill and chance you collapsing from too great a weight of wit? That would not do.

Mad Lews
01-31-2007, 06:24 PM
[I]
As for Ceasar, you had me at "feel free to scream, bitch". And while there were a couple times throughout my focused perusal that gave me pause to consider my decision to undertake such a challenge, my curiosity in finding out if proud Rebecca would ultimately fall apart (which she did, thank you very much) overcame any qualms I may have had. Besides, Cassius is such a delightfully evil thing (what he did to Leona was inspired). I enjoyed him throughout the entire story.

But most of all (selfishly so), it was nice to be the surprise instead of the cliche. So thank you for that as well. :)

tessa

An interesting point tessa,
I never saw Cassius as particularly evil. He had so many good qualities, a very professional military strategist, a confident and steady leader who truly cared for his men and was quite proud of them. A military man aware of the limits of his position and also aware enough of the political climate to deal effectively with the real power players.
He doesn't even seem to take personal delight in tormenting the prisoners in his care. It's all just part of the job for him, he'll do it because that's what's called for.
As for poor Leona, the goal of the entire day was to entertain the masses, it was nothing personal, and he even seemed a bit relieved when ordered to end it all after the circus.
Well that was my goal, but your reaction is perfectly valid and thought provoking.
See reviewing can be fun :)
Mad

tessa
01-31-2007, 07:15 PM
An interesting point tessa,
I never saw Cassius as particularly evil. He had so many good qualities, a very professional military strategist, a confident and steady leader who truly cared for his men and was quite proud of them. A military man aware of the limits of his position and also aware enough of the political climate to deal effectively with the real power players.
He doesn't even seem to take personal delight in tormenting the prisoners in his care. It's all just part of the job for him, he'll do it because that's what's called for.
As for poor Leona, the goal of the entire day was to entertain the masses, it was nothing personal, and he even seemed a bit relieved when ordered to end it all after the circus.
Well that was my goal, but your reaction is perfectly valid and thought provoking.
See reviewing can be fun :)
Mad

I'd ask Leona about her take on it, as she'd be the foremost expert on this issue of Cassius' evil streak, but we know what happened to her, so...

I will say that Cassius, at times, seemed to be above it all...especially when he was behind and a bit above Rebecca, giving her free reign to scream and such. Quite right. No delight for him in that at all.

He was indeed a shrewd and very aware participant in the political arena. He more than proved that at the end of the story. And he was a great leader of men. That quality was written all through him. I will say it again. I was quite delighted with his character.

You more than made your goal, Mr. Mad, surpassed it even.

And yes, such fun!

Most sincerely-
tessa
:wave:

tessa
01-31-2007, 07:47 PM
I should say so. Perhaps I should liberate such implements from your person; they are not for the uninoculated - and it is clear that you need an inoculation. Step close, bend over and...well, wait for it.

~gladly hands over the implements, but not for innoculation reasons~ And I can't bend over here, Mr. Dean, not in this nurse's costume. And I abhor waiting, so there is that as well.

You already appear to be smitten by my wit. Shall I indulge in overkill and chance you collapsing from too great a weight of wit? That would not do.

Damn, I've already been wit smitten?!? Did I get it on my face?? Oh, please tell me it didn't dribble onto my dress!! This is silk...

~goes off to check the damage, repeating "weight of wit" over and over just 'cause it's so fun to say~

H Dean
01-31-2007, 08:49 PM
~gladly hands over the implements, but not for innoculation reasons~ And I can't bend over here, Mr. Dean, not in this nurse's costume. And I abhor waiting, so there is that as well.

Then you should do what is logical. Simply remove the costume. Then, remember that good things cum to those who wait.

Damn, I've already been wit smitten?!? Did I get it on my face?? Oh, please tell me it didn't dribble onto my dress!! This is silk...

Dribbling would not happen if you simply accepted wit with open mouth.

~goes off to check the damage, repeating "weight of wit" over and over just 'cause it's so fun to say~I was feeling as alliterate as I am literate. Really. Feel me.

tessa
01-31-2007, 09:16 PM
I was feeling as alliterate as I am literate. Really. Feel me.

Mr. Dean, your alliteration is so prominent, I don't have to feel it to feel it. ~checks out your alliteration once more~ Quite impressive!

H Dean
02-01-2007, 09:23 AM
Mr. Dean, your alliteration is so prominent, I don't have to feel it to feel it. ~checks out your alliteration once more~ Quite impressive!Yes, it is very powerful.

tessa
02-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Your powerful alliteration makes me wonder...oh, does it make me wonder.

Could an entire passage of prose be written as such? Hmm...

To revive the issue of annoying reviews (as that is the thread title), what makes even a positive review annoying? Is that a common happening? Just curious. You author types may be willing to shed some light on the annoying subject perhaps?

Respectfully submitted-
tessa

(As a by the way, say 'annoying' 8 or 9 times in a row. You will understand why the word has the meaning it does.)

H Dean
02-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Some positive reviews, while not necessarily annoying can be relatively, well, uninspiring. I have seen reviews of a 10 that hold zero weight because the reviewer routinely reviews crap with very positive reviews. I cringe when I see those good reviews because it makes me wonder how my story could have been so bad as to get such a high review from someone who likes crap.

Mad Lews
02-02-2007, 03:41 AM
I cringe when I see those good reviews because it makes me wonder how my story could have been so bad as to get such a high review from someone who likes crap.

Hey, who are we to judge fetishes though that does seem a bit unsanitary and might smell bad.
I hesitate to whine about reviewers (so what am I doing on this thread?) as they are already few and far between. Still in the spirit of the thread the ones that give me pause are the thought free one liners.
"Good idea, looking for more." Or the even more laconic, "Good story." If you are going to the trouble to review inject a few of your thoughts and feelings into the process.
Mad Lews
(together again, for today)

tessa
02-02-2007, 07:38 AM
Thank you both for the input. I don't review "crap", as Mr. Dean calls it. If the story is repelling to me, either in content or in basic form, I just don't review at all. Why state the obvious? And besides, when people take the initiative to put it out there, as it were, I'd hate to be the nightmare in their dream.

And since Mad Lews is so in sync with himself today, his thoughts on the review process are easy to comprehend. If it had been just Lews offering, it probably would have been covered in drool and been much more difficult to understand.

H Dean
02-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Sure - it would have been drool.

I don't think so, princess.

tessa
02-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Sure - it would have been drool.

I don't think so, princess.

~wonders who "princess" is and hopes she doesn't mind me commenting in ahead of her~

~blinks ever so innocently~ Why Mr. Dean, whatever do you mean? It could have been just that. Haven't you ever drooled on your own thoughts? I think it's been known to happen on occasion. Perhaps I am mistaken though. That's happened on occasion as well.

mkemse
02-02-2007, 04:43 PM
As far a good and bad reviews go, everyone has their own fetish, and may want to read something they normaly would not read
What is CRAP to One person, may not be CRAP to Another
I like gold, you may like silver does that mean my taste is CRAP, no it means my taste is DIFFERENT that is what people are people, everyone is different, how odd it would be if EVERY REVIEWER wrote the same type of review for every story, my guss is after 1 or 2 people would stop writing reviws cause they would all be the same
I write what I feel, sometime I leave a brief reviews other times longer ones, but I reserve the right to review a story as I see it, and others should so the same, the only exception is if it is woefully bad I will read it buy leave no review
As the old saying goes "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen"
if you do not like bad reviews, don't write, you willl never please ever one with every story, this is a reality of life, not even Steven Speilberg had hits with every movie he made, he made 1 or 2 turkey's during his career

Mad Lews
02-02-2007, 09:10 PM
if you do not like bad reviews, don't write, you willl never please ever one with every story, this is a reality of life, not even Steven Speilberg had hits with every movie he made, he made 1 or 2 turkey's during his career

Hey! I liked AI, and so did Lews so that makes two of us.

tessa
02-04-2007, 07:20 PM

You are exactly correct.

I like gold,

Hey! Me too!!

does that mean my taste is CRAP

If it does, I guess my taste is too, as we both like gold. But I do like silver as well, so I think I'm good to go as far as the gold/silver debate goes.

I write what I feel, sometime I leave a brief reviews other times longer ones, but I reserve the right to review a story as I see it, and others should so the same, the only exception is if it is woefully bad I will read it buy leave no review

It's a good thing we can come to a site like this and say what we think, isn't it? What makes a story "woefully bad" for you, mkemse?

This is my ticket out of there!!! Thanks!!

if you do not like bad reviews, don't write

Another ticket out. The cowardly ticket, I call it.

, you willl never please ever one with every story, this is a reality of life

Yep, that's true.

Interesting thoughts, mkemse.

Alex Bragi
02-05-2007, 03:48 AM
As far a good and bad reviews go, everyone has their own fetish, and may want to read something they normaly would not read
I like gold, you may like silver does that mean my taste is CRAP, no it means my taste is DIFFERENT that is what people are people, everyone is different, how odd it would be if EVERY REVIEWER wrote the same type of review for every story, my guss is after 1 or 2 people would stop writing reviws cause they would all be the same
I write what I feel, sometime I leave a brief reviews other times longer ones, but I reserve the right to review a story as I see it, and others should so the same, the only exception is if it is woefully bad I will read it buy leave no review...

Yep, I couldn't agree more. I guess there's an awful lot of subjective reviewing goes on here--I do it myself. If I fine a story really titilating I'll find it much easier to over look mistakes, or clumsy writing, to give a higher score and generous comments.

To your full credit, mkemse, from what I've seen, your reviews are good and a good indication for other readers of what's hot and what's not.

And Mad Lews..*hugs x 2* I love you both equally! *gg*

mkemse
02-05-2007, 06:00 AM
Alex,
Thanks for your kind remarks and support even with movie reviews with Ebert & Roeper, they do not always agree om every movie , i have seen many 1 thumb up 1 thumb dwon, this is life
i would hate to see everyone where i live wear the same clothe oufits everday imagine 500 people everyday wearing the exact same clothes as the next perso,n it would be very boring within a day or 2 and have everyone look like eveyone else
I may not agree with another reviewer or thier review but I will defend thier right to express their feelings about a story whether i agree with what they said or not
The only time i have a major issue with any author is when they have say 25 stories posted and all are very similar in genre and storyline you can only cook a hamburger so many ways without repeating a way

Mad Lews
02-05-2007, 06:59 AM
I may not agree with another reviewer or their review but I will defend their right to express their feelings about a story whether i agree with what they said or not
The only time i have a major issue with any author is when they have say 25 stories posted and all are very similar in genre and storyline you can only cook a hamburger so many ways without repeating a way

Got to agree mkemse, freedom of thought and expression needs to be celebrated when it's found, even when it's dead wrong. That doesn't mean you can't have healthy disagreements.
I do trust you'll let me know if my storylines become stale though they do all tend to revolve around BDSM :) (at least on this site)
Mad

To your full credit, mkemse, from what I've seen, your reviews are good and a good indication for other readers of what's hot and what's not.

And Mad Lews..*hugs x 2* I love you both equally! *gg*

Yes Alex but will you still respect us in the morning?

I suspect part of the hub-bub is that reviews have two not necessarily compatible functions. Readers want a heads up on the story before they invest the time, and writers want some feed back. OK writers want good PR, accolades for their efforts, and then any helpful feedback.(It's nice to want things, gives you motivation and what not.) So I suspect many shorter reviews are directed more at fellow readers than at the authors themselves, but writers are an egotistical lot and probably expect everything written about their story to be addressed toward themselves and we have been known to ignore readers on occasion, much to our peril :dont: .

& Lews

mkemse
02-05-2007, 07:10 AM
Mad Lewis,

I have only run into 2 authors on this site who does the same basic storyline evertime they write the stories vary slightly but the same exact theme is there
There are authors who get real testy over alot of bad reviews, as i said if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen, if you do not want to be critized for any reason and expect everyone to love your stories all the time you may need a major reality check, no author is going to post the prefect story, if they did, they would go professional and have them publishedand even atthat point someone for some reason will find something wrong about it, it is human nature

tessa
02-05-2007, 01:29 PM
mkemse-

How kind of you to send me your answer to my question. Your reply gave more perspective as to what you posted here about reviews and the stories that get them.

tessa :)

H Dean
02-05-2007, 03:47 PM
if you do not like bad reviews, don't write, you willl never please ever one with every story, this is a reality of life, not even Steven Speilberg had hits with every movie he made, he made 1 or 2 turkey's during his careerI tend to agree with your statement - mostly. However...

Crap:

Crap is not subjective. Crap is crap. When I speak of crap I mean stories that appear to have been written by a 3 year old or worse. I have seen stories that were so badly written that they were nearly impossible to understand. I have also seen these stories get 10/10. That's what I am talking about. Any reviewer who routinely gives indicipherable stories big time reviews is a reviewer I dislike getting reviews from.

J's blu
02-05-2007, 06:18 PM
well, i think i have to jump back in again here. as a BIG time reader and sometime reviewer, and ardent member of several Fan Clubs of authors,(not looking at Anyone in Particular of course) i will just say this. i quite often read the reviews for a story before i read it if i havent read any of that persons work before. if any of the reviews are from people i have come to recognise as others who have similar tastes to me, and who seem to appreciate the same level of writing as me, then i tend to take their reviews very seriously. if i see reviews by some whom i have little respect or affinity for, then i totally disregard them. i usually try to write a review to the author, while giving other readers some idea of why i like or dislike the story.
i will add, that if i feel like reading a story and cant be bothered scrolling to look for myself, i will go to the reviewers list and choose someone i trust and see what they have been reading lately, and try some of those.
*steps back, takes her seat, and listens once more*

mkemse
02-05-2007, 06:32 PM
J's Blu

while giving other readers some idea of why i like or dislike the story.
my point exacly, authorsneed to be told what otherthink oftherework and i admire that ifyou do not carfor a story will will sayso and say why, this is called CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISISM, not intend to hurt an author, onthe contart it is to HELP the author improve in weak area of a story, nothingmore noting less, if i give apoor review i an not intending to sound condicending or appear to be "looking down on him or her" but rather pffer ideas andsuggestions as to how to improve a story but saying what I like is did not like about a particular story

Eponine
02-18-2007, 03:54 PM
jamb,
I think "Petrol Station" is great!
I read the review which was a 1-star and the reviewer's comments- although I think 1 star is way too low, I can see the point made. In the beginning of your story, Valerie's thoughts vacillated between fear and retaliation; however, I saw this as more realistic and that is one thing I enjoyed about the story. I think you did a good job getting into her mind and explaining it to the reader.
I understand you would find the one star rating annoying, as it brings down your average unfairly. But more good reviews- which are well-deserved, will take care of it.
I just submitted a story for the first time and I am curious as to how I will react to the reviews. I imagine it's difficult to have that necessary tough skin, no matter how prepared I think I am.
Anyway, good job on the story and don't worry about one bad review that seems unfounded.

Dragon's muse
02-18-2007, 05:14 PM
I tend to agree with your statement - mostly. However...

Crap:

Crap is not subjective. Crap is crap. When I speak of crap I mean stories that appear to have been written by a 3 year old or worse. I have seen stories that were so badly written that they were nearly impossible to understand. I have also seen these stories get 10/10. That's what I am talking about. Any reviewer who routinely gives indicipherable stories big time reviews is a reviewer I dislike getting reviews from.

See, even the definition of "crap" is subjective. You define crap in terms of language usage. i define crap in terms of storyline creation.

Example: i think John Grisham writes crap. The storyline never changes, only names, settings and few minor specifics. Obviously, a lot of people disagree with me. But i fail to see how that makes my opinion any less valid, just different.

But for the scoring system here, we could adopt what the ice skating scores do in the olympic and throw out the high score and the bottom score. just a thought.

My tuppence, your mileage, as always, may vary.

:rose:

Mad Lews
02-18-2007, 05:58 PM
But for the scoring system here, we could adopt what the ice skating scores do in the olympic and throw out the high score and the bottom score. just a thought.

:rose:

But but what about the stories with just one or two reviews?
ya throw out the high and low and you're left with 0 :)
Mad

H Dean
02-18-2007, 06:05 PM
See, even the definition of "crap" is subjective. You define crap in terms of language usage. i define crap in terms of storyline creation.

Example: i think John Grisham writes crap. The storyline never changes, only names, settings and few minor specifics. Obviously, a lot of people disagree with me. But i fail to see how that makes my opinion any less valid, just different.

:rose:I was merely referring to the sort of crap that is not subjective. I find Picasso's art to be crap. That is subjective. So, on that note, I tend to agree. But there is some crap which is, objectively, crap, even if the story is not, subjectively, crap.

mkemse
02-18-2007, 07:08 PM
This goes back to what was said before, what s CRAP to one person by their own defintion may not be to another by theirs

tessa
02-18-2007, 07:55 PM

Eponine
02-25-2007, 10:39 PM
LOL tessa....

yes, this CRAP argument is getting comical...

if i could interject- just a tiny squeak of an opinion from someone new to the forums, but -

Yes, the definition of CRAP is subjective, but only up to a certain point because there are agreed-upon standards of quality, at least in terms of writing technique- is that what you mean, H Dean?

And between the two who are most heated in the debate- mkemse and H Dean- from the posts and reviews of yours that i've read, you both have a sense of that standard, anyway.

ok, that's just my little two cents.

spank me if i'm wrong.
hell, spank me if i'm right :p
:crop:

tessa
02-27-2007, 06:34 AM
LOL tessa....

yes, this CRAP argument is getting comical...
ok, that's just my little two cents.

spank me if i'm wrong.
hell, spank me if i'm right :p
:crop:

If she gets spanked, I wanna watch. :hubba:

Dragon's muse
02-27-2007, 07:07 AM
i want to know where the sign-up sheet for the spanking is.

tessa
02-27-2007, 07:26 AM
There's a spanking sign-up sheet? :supercool

Have pen, will sign. :)

H Dean
02-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Crap is like a wife: take my crap, please.

tessa
02-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Buhdum Bumm

isabeau6
06-27-2007, 01:07 PM
i have written reviews on the site, and what annoys me to hell and back is the author acknowledging everyone but me..now i'm not vain, nor do i want attention but gesh i take the time to read the story first..then i take more time to write an intelligent review..and i get ignored???? dayum...i also in the past have emailed authors...it's nice when they respond back...i've had those who have not.. and now thanks to my writing to this one author about his story and writing a review, he has sent me the finished version of his story and another book he wrote, all because i took the time to write and also he would like a female's view of the next story he plans on writing..and i will say wow..he is diabolical to the extreme and his tortures eeks..but it's all so well written, including the snuff which i have grown to accept if it's incorporated well in the plot.. that i find his stories fascinating and intriguing...

RiverOtter
06-27-2007, 11:48 PM
Do you mean the author should send an email to the reviewer, or reply to the post on the review page?

I'm fairly new to the site, and I hesitate to write reviews of stories I don't like, since 1) I'm not likely to finish the story anyway and 2) I find that the wirters of badly written stories are much less receptive to criticism (wonder if there's a correlation there?)

Oh, and as for "Petrol Station," I thought it was fine, except it needed to take place in Disneyland and be about a plot to assassinate the Prime Minister of Canada. Also, in the ending Twinkles the pink magic dragon should have appeared and taken everyone to Happyland.
--Wait a minute...you mean the review should be based on what's actually *in* the story, not what you think should be in it. I gotcha.

ElectricBadger
06-28-2007, 01:36 AM
I've encountered some angst from authors too, and now I'm a bit more hesitant to give feedback to anyone who doesn't ask for it. Usually, though, if you say something good (even if it's just, "Thanks for sharing with us,") people will hear you out.

Mad Lews
07-01-2007, 02:41 PM
i have written reviews on the site, and what annoys me to hell and back is the author acknowledging everyone but me..now i'm not vain, nor do i want attention but gesh i take the time to read the story first..then i take more time to write an intelligent review..and i get ignored???? dayum...i also in the past have emailed authors...it's nice when they respond back...i've had those who have not.. and now thanks to my writing to this one author about his story and writing a review, he has sent me the finished version of his story and another book he wrote, all because i took the time to write and also he would like a female's view of the next story he plans on writing..and i will say wow..he is diabolical to the extreme and his tortures eeks..but it's all so well written, including the snuff which i have grown to accept if it's incorporated well in the plot.. that i find his stories fascinating and intriguing...

Now I need to check my stories reviews to see if I'm the culprit here.
As a line of defense I should say the author isn't given a notice when there's a new review. Used to be that way but not so any more. If you want to post public remarks go the review route. It's appreciated by most writers. For a more personal exchange e-mail might work better as your experience shows.
Mad Lews

H Dean
07-03-2007, 08:24 PM
I've encountered some angst from authors too, and now I'm a bit more hesitant to give feedback to anyone who doesn't ask for it. Usually, though, if you say something good (even if it's just, "Thanks for sharing with us,") people will hear you out.So long as a review is thought out and based upon valid story components no author should object to any review. Unfortunately, too many people complain about the story contents - I don't like ass fucking so I give this story a 2. I hate those assholes and will always give them a piece of my mind.

Though, I will admit that when someone posted a "2" which indicates that my grammar was complete shit, it irked me rather dramatically. I almost took my ball and went home. Fortunately, I was able to suck in my gut and stand tall. Yes, I just assumed that person to be an utter jack ass.

I must be in a mood.

Snark
07-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Petrol Station was enjoyable, I'd read more of Jamb's work based on it. As for reviews, I tend to respond to either good work or very bad work. As an example of crap, misspellings with run-on words, revolving tenses, wrong version of the word (to, too, two?) get in the way to the point of not being able to follow the story. If English is not the writer's native language, fine; get a proof reader or wait until he/she has a better grasp of the language, or post it in the native language. Maybe the reviews will be better. A review should impart information that the writer can use to improve his work. Unless, of course, you review for the NY Times. I must admit I never expected to read a discourse on Ceasar in this forum. It demonstrates a refreshing depth of reading experiences!
And Tessa & Muse...I'll be posting a sign up sheet soon.

mirage
09-21-2007, 11:49 PM
considering even the best stories in the sites doesn't get average more than 10 reviews.
why not change to a "rate this story" without the comments thread.

I read many stories, could rate them but often have no comments to make.

it's a pity that most stories that are read by thousands should get a average ratings of hundreds at least, not 5-10.

ElectricBadger
09-22-2007, 12:51 AM
Can always simply say, "Thank you for sharing" and post a score -- certainly better than nothing! Honestly, though, as an author just getting a number doesn't help much.

rach
09-22-2007, 05:46 AM
I'm always so wary of giving reviews other than that's good as it seems to presume a knowledge I'm not sure I have. I do write, but not BDSM and I don't know if people would appreciate reviews.

Euryleia
09-22-2007, 06:01 AM
I'm always so wary of giving reviews other than that's good as it seems to presume a knowledge I'm not sure I have. I do write, but not BDSM and I don't know if people would appreciate reviews.

Rach, as a feedback whore, I really, really appreciate reviews. But what helps me more is constructive criticism--I get better as a writer when I learn about my strengths and weaknesses. I'm very grateful to several of the authors on this site who have sent me emails with feedback and suggestions.

DarkPoet
09-26-2007, 10:40 AM

I can only second Euryleia there. I'd never object to a "nicely done", but it's people pointing out mistakes and ways to put something better who help improve my writing, no matter if it's a bdsm fic or a classic short story. This needn't always be a complete analysis of what went wrong. If I'd get three reviews in a row telling me "there's something off in the middle of the story, but I can't really name it", I might be able to spot it myself.

Rubberwolf
11-09-2007, 01:41 PM
I have posted one review. I believe that if you like someones work you should tell them about it. That said, some of the negative ones that I have recieved have pointed out typos etc. So they are constructive, in that they help you improve your story writing.

The reviews that I hate are the pointless ones that slate your work, but have no substance. E.G. Invitation to a Fetish Party recieved general favourable reviews, appart from one guy who gave me a poor rating because it reminded him of a childrens cartoon or something similar. (P.S. If you are reading this, perhaps a link would be nice so that I could form my own oppinion.).

I digress. The interesting thing about these caustic individuals is that when you click on their names, you find that they have not actually written anything themselves. I don't mind a poor review. Laura Feline has been giving honest reviews of my work for years. But then, she has written stacks and I feel that her oppinion has some weight. I saw a review recently where Parker gave a nice review. It turns out that Parker is one of the reviewees favourate authors and the positive review gave her a great deal of encouragement. But it is these sad little snipers who do not let us see their work, but proclaim venomous little rants, that serve no purpose than demoralizing tallented writers that should be actively ignored by any author. I like what I write, I enjoyed writing it and sharing it with others.

P.S. Loved Petrol Station. Well written, nice pace, good charactorisation.

Rubberwolf

nakdsub
01-15-2008, 09:29 PM
As a first time author, I was looking for constructive criticism for my first story. Instead my first critic was a person who gave me a 1 because he didn't like reading stories with an under age character. Now, in my synopsis, I mentioned the main character was 15 years old. If he didn't like reading these stories OK but to read it then give it a 1 for content is just ridiculous. My second critic really cut the story down saying it read like a children's book. Everyone has a right to their opinion but what gets me is that this person misspelled several words and used "to" instead of "too" in the revue. When I checked for stories written by this person there were zero. Isn't that always the way.
So far the rest of the revues have been very positive.
Please don't get me wrong, if you have legitimate and constructive criticism, I am always willing to learn.
Thanks.

Dragon's muse
01-16-2008, 05:50 AM
Anytime you put a piece up for review you run the risk of negative feedback. Professional writers, who hit the bestseller lists with appalling regularity, get blasted by critics and others based on content.

Do you really think that people who don't post stories should not voice an opinion? i only have one story posted on the main story side, but that doesn't make my thoughts and feelings about a story any less worthy of consideration. A reader's opinion is just as valid as a writer's opinion.

Bottom line, all reviews are just opinions. There has never been a writer in the history of the world whose work was universally well-received; it is pretty unlikely that you or i will be the first. Take what works for you, and don't worry about the rest.

ThisYouWillDo
01-16-2008, 06:37 AM
I wonder how many published authors have never been read by people who do not write. Answers in round figures, please.

Dragon's muse
01-16-2008, 07:35 AM
My very dear TYWD, it is the roundest figure of them all -- 0.000000000

Dragon's muse
01-16-2008, 08:34 AM
Nakdsub,

Just FYI, the search by author function on the story side is not foolproof. If you search by my name, i don't have any stories there. But, if you search by the title, it shows up.
*shrugs* Go figure.

nakdsub
01-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Muse,
I agree with everything you said.

H Dean
01-16-2008, 02:30 PM
Hey kids - ignore this post

H Dean
01-16-2008, 02:30 PM
As a first time author, I was looking for constructive criticism for my first story. Instead my first critic was a person who gave me a 1 because he didn't like reading stories with an under age character. Now, in my synopsis, I mentioned the main character was 15 years old. If he didn't like reading these stories OK but to read it then give it a 1 for content is just ridiculous. Apparently, he is an idiot.

My second critic really cut the story down saying it read like a children's book. Everyone has a right to their opinion but what gets me is that this person misspelled several words and used "to" instead of "too" in the revue. When I checked for stories written by this person there were zero. Isn't that always the way.
So far the rest of the revues have been very positive.
Please don't get me wrong, if you have legitimate and constructive criticism, I am always willing to learn.
Thanks.I see that you are suggesting that poor grammar or bad spelling in a review negates the truth or accuracy of the review. This is one of the more asinine complaints I have ever read about a review.

I will note that your complaint contained the word "revues". I will also note that you seem to have difficulty knowing where to use a comma. You are, essentially, reviewing the review you are complaining about and displaying poor spelling and technical skills. Isn't that ironic?

nakdsub
01-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Guilty as charged, how embarrassing!

James P
04-01-2008, 04:24 PM
What about this one - Some guy gave me 1 star because I advertised my personal story site at the beginning of the story (The Johnsons). Not sure what you folks think of that one, but I only wish he'd have judged the story on his merits rather than on his personal beliefs.

Alex Bragi
04-01-2008, 06:43 PM
What about this one - Some guy gave me 1 star because I advertised my personal story site at the beginning of the story (The Johnsons). Not sure what you folks think of that one, but I only wish he'd have judged the story on his merits rather than on his personal beliefs.

Well, James, in this instance, you could try to make contact with the reviewer and try to reason with them to alter their rating of your story. I have seen authors do that with some success.

James P
04-01-2008, 06:47 PM
hmm, that's an interesting thought. Thanks for the tip.

H Dean
04-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Or you could mention it to the site management - the old management used to eliminate stupidity like that from the review rating.

fbn
03-06-2009, 05:07 PM
I just started writing, just for my own fun because I stopped drawing. But I don't seem to get any reviews...... I would just like to know if I am any good at all.