PDA

View Full Version : brattyone's first assignment

SheepishJaina
09-12-2006, 01:39 AM
On Characterization:

Wow, I had never thought about doing something like this before. Having a cheat sheet ready really does make a lot of sense to me. I know I’ve definitely had to scroll through my work a few times to find information. While I was writing for section one, I found myself flipping back and forth between the two documents double checking everything. I’ll definitely have to try this with my next piece.

On Dialogue:

I have always hated long drawn out dialogues. I find this easier for me, as all of my stories are personal. My main character has always been Shannon Anne Cole, whom is my alter ego. Writing about things from her perspective (mine) has always been important to me and makes it easier for me to avoid having to use a ton of dialogue in my stories.

On Conflict:

Looking over some other things that I have written, I tend to use a lot of internal conflict in my characters.

On Scene and Sequel:

I found myself getting lost just trying to comprehend this one. I understand what they’re talking about though. I think. Major conflicts shouldn’t be resolved immediately or you lose the build up of the conflict itself.

Cut down on extra words. Check. I had a teacher that was fanatical about not using that in any of our writing. I find myself still trying not to use the word in my writing.

Character:

So, basically, I need to remember to stay focused on who the character is, and to keep the plot inline with something that would actually occur/ be done by the character. So if my character is a sheep, don’t just have him go into a slaughter house to look around, give him a compelling reason to go there.

Dialect:

If I’m writing about the 1700s, people are not going to be talking about video games and saying Dude! Gotcha.
1. Objective
2. Obstacles
3. Outcome

One way I manage with this, I write the opening paragraph of a story, then the ending and fill in the little details from there. Sometimes along the path of the story, I’ll go and change the ending, because the path that I have the characters taking won’t match up with the ending I have originally thought of, but usually, I’ll rework the inner parts till they fit within the beginning and end.

One thing I’ve learned already is not only to take a day off between writing and editing, but also to have a friend look over my work. Often they catch things that my mind automatically will skip over as I’m reading. Or, they will catch a scene where I thought I’ve mentioned something, or assumed it was “known” when it really wasn’t, and to an outside source and it becomes muddied. When there’s no one around to do this, as much as I hate it, I’ve had to resort to printing and fine combing using a highlighter one line at a time.

Aussiegirl1
09-14-2006, 12:12 AM
Thanks for a great review of the articles brattyone,

You really seem to have gotten a lot out them. I like your idea of writing the first and then the last paragraph of a story. I still tend to let the ending come to me at times!

Well, I think you ready to do your second assignment, so have fun!