PDA

View Full Version : Chat room

abitbent
10-01-2003, 04:34 PM
Hey how about an accompanying chat room to go along with the forum. At any given time, it looks like there are quite a few of us browsing the forums so a real time chat room would be cool. Perhaps in IRC say on the bondage.com server?

Just a thought.

bent

Master_chris
11-12-2003, 10:26 AM
what a great Idea, I think it would be a good idea for a chat fourm, so that we can have a chat, share ideas in real time

GaryWilcox
11-12-2003, 11:12 AM
Chat would be lovely!

MrJerseyGuy
11-12-2003, 11:30 AM
I think it would be a great idea. It would be fun bouncing around ideas with like minded people.

redEva
11-13-2003, 08:18 AM
Yes! Jinn please - we would like a chat room

BDSM_Tourguide
11-13-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Jinn

Hmmm, let me think...

In order to setup a chat room, we need more vistors, more concurrent chatters, and some moderators to regulate the rooms, etc.. We need to see how many people are interested in this idea. But from what is happening here in the forums, I can't really see any bright future on this idea.

But, let's keep it in our minds...

You may also view the other chat room thread. (http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96)

redEva
11-13-2003, 08:18 PM
Well OK and since the pool was 2 years ago and it seems we had more activity now than then, and obviously people are interested in it – why not?

BDSM_Tourguide
11-13-2003, 11:13 PM
... was started only last year. About fourteen months ago in August 2002.

From what I see, this thread has about as many respondants, or less, than that one did.

The ultimate decision is up to Jinn, but I think he probably wants it to be worthwhile before he spends the extra cash to buy and upload a chat app onto his site.

Personally, as I had said in the other thread as well, I think it's a banner idea. I'd like to see it done, too. I can also see his point of view on the subject, though. If he pays for a chat app, assigns mods to the chat and only four people show up, then it's probably going to be a waste of his time and ours.

I'll send him a PM, though, and have him look at this thread and see what he thinks of the idea nowadays.

Lord Douche
11-16-2003, 06:11 AM
So you want respondents? I can respond!
Chatroom sounds a good idea. Hell, with 500+ members viewing the site at any one time, I doubt only 4 people will use it :) Most will probably be lurkers, but that comes with the topic material.
As for moderating the chatrooms... that would be a problem.

Master_chris
11-16-2003, 07:18 AM
Does the chat room, has to be owned and by the site, could this be somewhere like a third party location like MSN ' if it was still running'

Mobius
11-16-2003, 07:41 AM
like a killer while waiting to pounce when the moment of opertunity came. But I think we need to keep it simple NO irc way to complicated there was a java applet that Insex used when I could afford to viset them it was very simple and easy to use.

I think you can rule out msn or yahoo becouse of the fact that we have posted copyrighted material in the picture threads and using a publicly known chat group could lead to bad things.

also MSN has killed its chat groups over seas so that would kill off our UK and europe palls

so remember if we get jinn to do this lets keep it simple and stupid.

BDSM_Tourguide
11-16-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Master_chris
Does the chat room, has to be owned and by the site, could this be somewhere like a third party location like MSN ' if it was still running'

The simple answer is no. Jinn could post a link to a fre chat site like MSN or Yahoo, but an on-site, easily accessible chat area would be easier and more efficient.

Besides, many of the off-site chats have their problems. MSN chat software tends to not work with any system running MSN or Windows (go figure) ever since Microsoft dumped Sun Microsystem's Java package from their OS. Plus, like Mobius said, it's not available overseas.

Yahoo chat is run by Yahoo, so I already don't like it. Also, Yahoo is doing their best to destroy all the adult content from their servers. Ask any group owners about that, they'll let you know. I have a feeling a big, popular BDSM chat area wouldn't last very long on their servers.

IRC is a good option, but it is hard to learn. The help files are like reading instructions on how to put together nuclear bombs. There are HTML and Java-based chat applets that plug into IRC, but are much less complicated.

In my personal opinion, a nice downloadable, free-standing Java or HTML applet would work the best for everyone on this site. At the very least, if someone had problems, they (or we) wouldn't have to go to MSN, Yahoo or IRC's tech support (or lack thereof) for help. We could contact the chat app admin and ask them what to do directly.

GaryWilcox
11-16-2003, 05:32 PM
Maybe we could get something like the one on LoneWolf's rapedungeon.com page...?

I realize this is an expense, but maybe we could find a way to offset this, if the expense is a one-time affair...

Jinn could have an auction, and get a few of our top talent to write short stories about the person of your choice...

Like, if I win the auction for, say, Kallie Thomas (and I WOULD bid on her), she'd write a 1,000 word 'snippet' story about me doing something based on a character description.... get twenty-or-so writers to donate their talents to raise money for the chatroom.

woodsman'sgame
11-18-2003, 06:06 PM
I would participate in a chat room, here.

Finding_Fantasy
11-18-2003, 09:25 PM
If there was a chatroom here, I would definitely participate. I have been going back to AFF lately simply to have other like minded people to chat with in ways other than an occasional few postings.

Ironwulf
11-20-2003, 03:33 AM
There are several ways to add chat to a website for free. The example below uses a chat applet that is on a existing chat server and is configured by parameters in the link itself. I have setup this link to create a chat room that while not registered (it can be) is fully functioning. Try It - A Simple Chat (http://www.mircx.com/cgi-bin/jirc.cgi?BorderHsp=0&BorderVsp=0&NickName=guest&RealName=LibraryChat&DisplayConfigNickName=true&DisplayConfigNickPass=false&DisplayConfigRealName=false&AllowURL=true&AllowIdentd=true&DisplaySoundControl=false&DisplayAbout=false&DisplayConfigChannel=false&DisplayConfigChannelPass=false&DisplayConfigMisc=false&DisplayConfigServer=false&DisplayConfigServerPass=false&DisplayConfigPort=false&isLimitedChannel=false&isLimitedServers=false&ServerName1=javairc.mircx.com&ServerPort=6667&Channel1=LibraryChat&DirectStart=false&WelcomeMessage=A_Chat_System&NoConfig=false&NOS=false&IgnoreLevel=1&IgnoreChannelChangeMsg=false&IgnoreModeMsg=true&IgnoreMOTD=true&IgnoreServerMsg=false&RefreshColorCode=false&TextFontSize=16&TextFontName=verdana&TextColor=0,0,89&TextScreenColor=244,244,255&InputTextColor=0,0,0&InputScreenColor=255,255,242&ListTextColor=0,0,89&ListScreenColor=185,185,255&TitleBackgroundColor=59,62,129&TitleForeGroundColor=185,185,255&BackgroundColor=59,62,129&FGColor=185,185,255&LogoBgColor=244,244,255&AliasList=/m=/msg,/t=/topic,/ns=/nickserv,/cs=/chanserv)

Another way to do it is to use a free chat applet that can be installed on this site but connects to any IRC chat server the admins wish to connect with. This applet is called PJIRC Chat (http://pjirc.net/) and is a more advanced chat applet then the first one.

To see a working example of PJIRC that I just installed on a friends website that also uses PHP like this site does you can go here - PeoplesChoices Chat (http://www.peopleschoices.com/modules.php?name=Chat)

Note - there are no pop ups or other nasty things on the above site, it is a safe site. You will need to allow the security certificates to be loaded into your windows temp file when it asks because Microsoft Windows considers it a security breach any time you try to load an applet that is not on the same machine as where the service is being called from. In this case the chat server is not on the same machine as the webpage server so you must say YES for the applet to load.

The advantage of having the applet on your own server is that you are not dependant on a certain chat server to provide the service. You can have chat rooms on several chat servers and use the backup chat server in the event the main chat server goes down.

Another good reason for having the chat applet on your websites server is that you can connect it with your database if using PHP and have the nicknames you log in with on the website be automatically inserted into the chat applet for you.

Either way adding a chat these days is very inexpensive and takes less then a half hour to setup. There are other chat applets available, I use one that did cost a one time fee of $50 and it is a excellent chat applet but going that route is not always the best move.

I suggest using a free applet first and if chat becomes popular enough then you can always upgrade if you wish. I hope this has been of some service to the cause.

redEva
11-20-2003, 10:35 AM
What an entry on the board! With a big Boom!

I tried both – unfortunately I’m alone in the first one – it is great, fast and small to load and no registrations or anything.

Also I think it is great idea to have something small like this going to try it out – and than going by popular demand – Jinn could get more involved!

Kudos Ironwolf – words ARE cheap – we need more doers like you!

Mobius
11-20-2003, 12:29 PM
I am so lonely:mad:

BDSM_Tourguide
11-20-2003, 12:59 PM
It is my opinion that, unless Jinn has changed his name to Ironwulf, that this idea should have been presented to the owner of this site rather than just placed into our forums and set up without his knowledge.

Simply starting up a chat system and calling it the BDSM Library Chat System is a violation of Jinn's copyright to this site, because it was done without his permission.

Now, I am all for a chat room on this site, but I would like the idea to be approved by the site's owner before anything is actually done.

Furthermore...

Kudos Ironwolf – words ARE cheap – we need more doers like you!

We really don't need these sort of things to be done behind our backs. We need doers, yes, perhaps, but we need them to follow the rules and obey copyright laws as well.

I have told Jinn about this thread and, when he is available, he will read it and comment on the ideas posted within. Until then, I would ask everyone to settle down and not get lost in the chat frenzy.

redEva
11-20-2003, 01:13 PM
... come back pussy we are there! :D

Ironwulf
11-20-2003, 01:21 PM
Nothing has been created other then a link, if you feel this in someway is harmful then delete it.

All I did was create an example that could be used if it was desired to be used. It only exists in this forum and no where else.

Was only meant to show what could be done, it was not meant to be a official link for the site. Yes i did change the welcome message in the link from saying my sites system to saying the BDSM Libary chat system, but again the only people who see that are people using the link in this forum.

However, since it bothers you I will edit it out right now.

Aurelius
11-20-2003, 02:01 PM
Well, whatever it's called, it seemed to work pretty well. Even I could use it OK.

Lord Douche
11-21-2003, 06:00 AM
Apparently you can join that chatroom with normal IRC.

Server: javairc.mircx.com:6667
Channel: LibraryChat

Works for me :D Connected from HyrdaIRC, no reason MIRC or anything else won't work.

redEva
11-22-2003, 01:29 PM
Come to chat room - one and all - we are rocking!

Shellyfemme
11-22-2003, 10:31 PM
I too wouLd enjoy a chat room :D

BDSM_Tourguide
11-23-2003, 12:00 AM
For the most part, the chat room is up and going. There's a link to it in Ironwulf's post. It is unclear at this time if this will be a temporary thing or if it will become an actual, physical part of the Library itself, but for now come on in and have fun.

Tiger
11-25-2003, 11:42 PM
It seems people are very fond of this chat idea. I setup a chatroom at irc.bdsm-net.com. Please visit this page for more info:

http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/chat/

Have fun!

sm4hg
11-29-2003, 07:56 AM
I wanted to have a look at the chat room but unfortunately I didn't get there.

I was able to see the page with my nickname on it. But pushing the button that should lead to the chat my screen informed me that there was no such page to be found. :confused:

redEva
11-29-2003, 08:35 AM
sm4hg!

this link should work - but if you are computer savvy the chartroom is registered on BDSMnet of IRC chat network. From any IRC capable client like Trillian or mIRC you can get there by specifying:

Server: irc.bdsm-net.com
Channel: #bdsmlibrary

hope to see you there soon :)

Mobius
11-29-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by redEva
sm4hg!

this link should work - but if you are computer savvy the chartroom is registered on BDSMnet of IRC chat network. From any IRC capable client like Trillian or mIRC you can get there by specifying:

Server: irc.bdsm-net.com
Channel: #bdsmlibrary

hope to see you there soon :)

Thank you for the tip I have set it up in MIRC

abitbent
12-01-2003, 09:09 PM
Great chatroom TG... however I wonder if you may consider assigning some chat room moderators, so that we might stop this from happening:

*** GwaiLo is ~xabbu@bdsm-B1FE53A.VIC.dft.com.au (xabbu)
*** GwaiLo has is a registered nick
*** on channels: #bondagetheater #bdsmlibrary
*** on irc via server irc.BDSM-Net.com (BDSM-Net.com Official IRC Server)
*** GwaiLo has been idle 1026 minutes, signed on at Mon Dec 01 03:10:56 2003

1026 minutes? Wow he's a quiet one.. lol

Great to meet a lot of you in chat.. see you there.

bent

BDSM_Tourguide
12-01-2003, 09:34 PM
Untill Jinn decides to make me or someone else an op, there's not one thing I can do about what goes on in there.

And, to be quite honest, after reading the latest updates for the forums today, I'm disinclined to do much of anything. After all, I'd hate to offend anyone else.

Lord Douche
12-02-2003, 04:57 AM
If someone wants to lurk, then let them lurk. I would ask GwaiLo to put his/her name as GwaiLo-Away so that people know that he/she is lurking.

I'd volunteer to be a moderator, but I don't have enough time on the internet to do that :(

abitbent
12-05-2003, 08:52 AM
What purpose does lurking serve? Why be sitting in a chat room and idling for hours with no intention of participating in the conversation? Quietly sitting on the side just watching conversation is one thing, but just sitting there so your name appears on the room list is another.

The away thing helps, but I propose it would only be good for short periods of time.

I would volounteer to be a mod as well, but what the room really needs to keep it up to date is a bot with mod status, that auto cleans the lurkers say after a given amount of time. I mean, if you are sitting there for 90 mins saying nothing, what good are you really doing?

bent

ps.. still love the chat room though

abitbent
12-05-2003, 08:58 AM
ho humm

Finding_Fantasy
12-05-2003, 12:35 PM
but it doesn't do any harm eaither.

Just be thankful that we have a chat room. Why is it such a bad thing for people to lurk? Or to sit there. Some people just sign on, chat for a bit, then get called away from the computer, sometimes for longer than they expect.

Anyway, I just don't see what the big deal is.

Gallardo
12-19-2003, 05:35 PM
this is a bit delayed since i just read this thread but...

i think the idea of the chatroom is great, especially for one who uses irc constantly (thats me)

and i have to say that i am guilty of idling in the chan a lot as FF pts out but i do that in all my other chans :p ... if someone doesnt respond or talk, its safe to assume that they r away; its like calling someone and they dont pick up?

Lord Douche
12-20-2003, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by abitbent
ho humm
Just because one has been idle, doesn't mean I'm not watching every now and then. :p
I have a dial-up connection, so I simply can't lurk for long. :)

And lurking is generally so you can know what's been happening in the room whilst you're away.

Tree
12-20-2003, 11:42 AM
A chat room sounds like a good idea. I was quite surprised recently to see how many people were online chatting about the CBS show Survivor. I would have thought BDSM (apologies to Survivor) was a much more interesting topic to the people writing here than a TV show.

BDSM_Tourguide
12-20-2003, 12:10 PM
Has been for a few weeks now.

BDSM Library Chat Room (http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/chat)

Lord Douche
02-18-2004, 04:20 AM
The chatroom is almost always empty now... at least when I come online. Am I missing all the action? There's at most, maybe 7 people at the busiest, and that's only happened once or twice. I can drop in and see that many people visiting the forums at any one time... the chatroom is a lot more interactive!
So jump in, and don't be discouraged if no-one replies instantly... you can't devote all your time waiting for someone to speak.
LD

BDSM_Tourguide
02-18-2004, 05:04 AM
... there were about seven people online and only one of them was actually talking.

I have all but stopped going, for lack of any real interest from members, even those that said they would participate regularly. Unless someone has a problem with someone else in the chat, needs them kicked and sends me a message on Yahoo to let me know, I very rarely go to the chat.

I wonder if Jinn should consider closing it down?

Aurelius
02-18-2004, 06:23 AM
What about suggesting some peak time slots (bearing in mind we are spread around the world) so that we don't keep passing like ships in the night?

Lord Douche
02-18-2004, 06:42 AM
Well, I'm there almost every night for me (~5 am to ~10/11 am in Canada), and have good conversations with a fair few people. But there's rarely more than 4 other people, which is a shame.
It's not costing Jinn anything: the chatroom will close itself if no-one visits it for around 12 days

slavelucy
02-18-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Lord Douche
Well, I'm there almost every night for me (~5 am to ~10/11 am in Canada), and have good conversations with a fair few people.

Me and thee have had some fairly good chats in there LD...supervised by the good Doctor of course....;)

Lord Douche
02-18-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by slavelucy
Me and thee have had some fairly good chats in there LD...supervised by the good Doctor of course....;)
Ahh yes... haven't seen the good Doctor in a while! And I wouldn't class it as supervision; he's not very good at it if that's what he's doing! :p

slavelucy
02-19-2004, 01:23 PM
he's not very good at it if that's what he's doing! :p

LOL...Yeah, i take you're point there.....*g*...in fact, too right, he should be struck off!!!

luce

Lord Douche
03-04-2004, 07:43 AM
Well, since no-one came into the Channel with founder-level access, it was deregistered.

I took it upon myself to rectify this, and now own the Channel!
*Begins laughing evilly, accompanied by the sounds of females wailing and rattling their cages. His laughter tapers off, and a whip cracks through the air. Wailing ceases abruptly, and muted whimpering begins*

Anyway.... If Jinn has a problem with this, I will be willing to pass control back to him. The topic links back here, so I'm not stealing your trademark :)

Miss Eva has OP status, along with Gary Wilcox. If Jinn is willing to let me have the Channel, I may add to this list :)

Your responsible Channel Admin,
LD

slavelucy
03-04-2004, 08:00 AM
I took it upon myself to rectify this, and now own the Channel!

God help us!!

Just kidding LD :D

Lord Douche
03-04-2004, 08:04 AM
You might find yourself in one of those cages. You should be proof-reading, not posting here and making me wait! :p
In fact... you'd better watch out next time! *begins oiling the hinges*
LD

slavelucy
03-04-2004, 12:03 PM
You might find yourself in one of those cages. You should be proof-reading, not posting here and making me wait! :p
In fact... you'd better watch out next time! *begins oiling the hinges*
LD

Pah! You know nothing about waiting lad! You wanna try being me in the past 10 days, then you'd know all about waiting!! *sighs and blushes slightly*

Anyway, i've just sent the next chapter to you....

*scampers off whilst LD is busy reading the comments*

sl

Lord Douche
03-04-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by slavelucy
Pah! You know nothing about waiting lad! You wanna try being me in the past 10 days, then you'd know all about waiting!! *sighs and blushes slightly*
LOL. But the difference is, I'm sure you deserved it, in some way! :p
Thanks for the chapter... and you can't hide forever!

BDSM_Tourguide
03-04-2004, 11:05 PM
Miss Eva has OP status, along with Gary Wilcox. If Jinn is willing to let me have the Channel, I may add to this list :)

What about FF and me? Cutting us out of the action?

Lord Douche
03-05-2004, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by BDSM_Tourguide
What about FF and me? Cutting us out of the action?
LOL. I actually said to Red "I wonder if TG will be miffed I haven't given him OP status."
There, it's done. What's FF's name, and I'll add her too?

redEva
03-05-2004, 05:33 PM
LOL - yeah, he did comment on that TG ;)

albear
03-10-2004, 04:37 AM
but due to my computer illiteracy i will have to ask my boyfriend very nicely (beg i'm sure *rolls eyes*) to make it work for me. it won't happen by clicking the link.

i'll be back....begging and grovelling *g*

GaryWilcox
03-10-2004, 07:26 AM
Happy,

it's likely that you can get there, but you do a lot of multitasking with the web. You just have to be patient with the screen. Don't switch between windows while waiting for the chatroom to load.

The first screen you come to should show a window with your nickname and the applet style you want to use just below it. Below that is a button that says "Chat". Push that, and, be still, young'un!

After a few seconds, the graphic at the bottom of my message should appear. Click Yes (don't hit enter, it defaults to No).

You're in.

If you switch windows, that little Security Message can't work.

Curtis
03-10-2004, 08:00 AM
Okay, I've been silent about this because I'm computerly challenged, but this has gotten ridiculous. What's the point of a chatroom where all you can do is look at the welcome message? This was the fourth time I've been there, in four different months, and the detail changes, but the experience remains the same.

It asks me what applet I want and I have no idea, so I take the default 'normal'.
Next it switches me to a different security screen than Gary shows, with four options. I choose 'yes'.
Then I get a coffee cup, which usually sticks around quite awhile, but today came and went quickly.
Then several screens of data flash past, finally settling on a greeting message in black, brown and green print, including a note that 'Channel mode is +ntr', whatever that means.
And that's it. If I type, nothing appears on the screen. There are no messages from other people. When I tried clicking on what looked like the message bar (impossible to tell, since no messages appeared when I type), my machine went into a loop that 'force quit' couldn't get me out of, so I had to 'option-command-escape' to kill my browser, then restart the browser to get me back here to bitch about it.

Previous attempts have been similar, but one time I was able to type a message, but only one letter would appear in the message field at a time (then disappear as the next was typed). Another time the screen assured me that two other people were in the room, told me what the 'topic of the day' was (huh? topic of the day?), but I couldn't type in and no messages ever appeared from the other two people.

I've come to call it "The White Room" -- the place where nothing ever changes. I can't really say that I'm surprised that's it's underutilized. Things that don't work, don't get used.

Gallardo
03-10-2004, 11:23 AM
heh, i noticed many visitors to the chan use the java applet provided at the site. unfortunately, i am not familiar with such program and i wont explain to everyone who comes in how it works. i use mirc and that's what i recommend. there r lots of information at www.mirc.com hope this is helps

albear
03-11-2004, 04:46 AM
i did what you said Gary, i waited ever so patiently. i didn't curse my computer once. it still wouldn't work ...
Is it something to do with windows vs. mac?
i managed to do it through irc though, hooray, a victory for the computer illiterate!
thanks for your help ;)

Curtis
03-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Well, since you managed to get in, this will be completely unhelpful, but here goes.

I also have a Mac and suspected compatibility (ie. Gates monopoly) problems, but kittenfemme runs the same OS and browser versions that I do, and she has no problems getting in. She suggested that my security may be set too high. Mine is on the middle setting (accept cookies from sites you visit, but not from advertisers on those sites).

Since I'm not inclined to liberalize that setting, I'll never know if she's right, but if you wanted to take the chance and then report back, I could live vicariously through you.

I was GOING to say that if that didn't work you should try stripping naked, bowing before your machine and praying to the ghost of Steve Jobs.

But I won't.

Gallardo
03-12-2004, 10:44 PM
ghost of steve jobs? hes currently ceo of apple computers

albear
03-13-2004, 12:47 AM
i run mac os and i couldn't get there even though i have the lower security settings (i believe it is the come and get me setting :rolleyes: )
i did it through ircle us 3.0.4 and used the server and port for irc.
works fine
:cool:

Curtis
03-16-2004, 04:16 PM
Well, MrJerseyGuy and BDSM_Tourguide are complaining that no one's in the chatroom, and I still can't get in. I've talked to two people who use irc and they both told me (a) don't use it, and; (b) people use it to get around needing chatrooms, not to get into them, so I now know no more than I did before.

(sits in chair and pouts):(

redEva
03-16-2004, 06:04 PM
why would anyone advice you against IRC (http://www.mirc.com/get.html) its beyond me. Granted it is not user friendly, but once you played with it a bit, you will be fine.

Trillian (http://download.com.com/3000-2150-10047473.html?part=trillian&subj=dlpagtag=button) works fine too.

Which ever one you choose you will usually be able to choose an IRC server from the provided list or just type it in as:

irc.bdsm-net.com

the port you want is:

it usually wants you to give a nick name, alternate name and user name – put what ever you want – it will pick up the first one if it is not registered, second if it is.

Once you get there you will want to type:

/join #BDSMlibrary

ta-da!

Curtis
03-16-2004, 09:07 PM
Thank you Eva, but both of those only work for Windows machines, not for Macs.

I tried typing ircle us 3.04, which happyonprozac says does work with Mac OS, into both my browser and Google and both came back 'nothing found'.

(edit) I now understand why my friends told me to steer clear of irc. I found and downloaded ircle 3.1f2, but I can't understand it, and the manual is all written in jargon and expects that you already know what you're doing, which I most emphatically do not, so I'm STILL no closer to getting in the chatroom.

Why on earth would anything intentionally be made this difficult? (I mean getting into the room, not irc.)

Lord Douche
03-17-2004, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Curtis
Why on earth would anything intentionally be made this difficult? (I mean getting into the room, not irc.)
Actually, once you understand it, it's really quite simple... Until then, it's a horrible learning curve. *speaks from experience*

Depending on your client, you should get a spot you can type things into. Try things like:

/connect irc.bdsm.net:6667

or

/server irc.bdsm-net:6667

Then use the join command:

/join #bdsmlibrary

LD

Curtis
03-17-2004, 02:45 AM
Nothing happened with /connect irc.bdsm.net:6667

When I typed /server irc.bdsm-net:6667 I got the response "looking for IP number. name search failed"

Somehow, this doesn't seem like progress.

By the way, ircle lists 1792 servers, and bdsm.net isn't one of them (though there was one that was something like Domina.net)

Lord Douche
03-17-2004, 03:35 AM
When I typed /server irc.bdsm-net:6667 I got the response "looking for IP number. name search failed"
Um... I forgot to put on the ".com"... *sheepish look*

/server irc.bdsm-net.com:6667

LD

Curtis
03-17-2004, 04:04 AM
We now officially have progress. /server irc.bdsm-net.com:6667 got me conected, but it's like when I connected through the front door. I'm in, but I can't do anything. I tried /join#BDSMlibrary and got "unknown command"

What do I try next?

(edit) Right. That was the command redEva gave me. The one you gave me (/join #bdsmlibrary) worked. Sorry

redEva
03-17-2004, 09:14 AM
only 10 ppl

redEva
03-17-2004, 09:51 AM
sorry guys can't help myself

Curtis
03-17-2004, 10:54 AM
First, thanks to LD for getting me in the room for an hour this morning. Second, thanks to albear for being bright and friendly and answering all my questions. Too bad I didn't write down the answers.:rolleyes:

But now, why does redEva's screen look so much different from mine? The chatroom I got into was black and white, and there was no listing up of who was in the room. There was a listing that scrolled past at the beginning, but it was too fast to read and wasn't broken down into administrators and others. I had to scroll back three screens (at albear's suggestion) to read it, and it never updated. Also, Albear showed me a message telling that I'd entered the room, but no message like that showed up on my screen when Xoran entered, or when people left.

Was I in the low-rent district, or what?

Alex Bragi
03-18-2004, 09:40 PM
I would love to use the chat room, but I just can't seem to access it. I can't download Trillon or IRC ( i get an error message) , and when I try to access chat though this site, I get a window with a little red cross in the left and corner. I'm running Windows XP. I"m not running behind a firewall, I'm cookie enabled, and I"m not through a proxy either.

Please, has anyone else experienced the same problems as me managed to overcome them, or does anyone have any suggestions?

Looking forward to chatting soon,

Alex.

BDSM_Tourguide
03-18-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Alex Bragi
I would love to use the chat room, but I just can't seem to access it. I can't download Trillon or IRC ( i get an error message) , and when I try to access chat though this site, I get a window with a little red cross in the left and corner. I'm running Windows XP. I"m not running behind a firewall, I'm cookie enabled, and I"m not through a proxy either.

Please, has anyone else experienced the same problems as me managed to overcome them, or does anyone have any suggestions?

Looking forward to chatting soon,

Alex.

Well, I'm stumped. I'm running XP, cookies, no firewall, and no proxy, too, but I can download IRC with no problems at all and I can log into the chat from the link on the website here. Maybe check your security settings. That's all I can think would keep you from being able to access the chat or download things.

redEva
03-19-2004, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Alex Bragi
I can't download Trillon or IRC ( i get an error message) ...

Alex - contact me on PM and lets get together and on IM lets try figure this out.

...why does redEva's screen look so much different from mine?...

First screen shoot was from Trillian and second from mIRC. I prefer those two to the Java script that is made for users that do not have any other client. Only that.

My understanding is that you, Curtis, are running on Mac (which is superior to any other puter - I agree) so for that purpose you would need to use Ircle (http://www.ircle.com/download.shtml) – sorry I do not support that product – cause I do not have Mac – but I’m sure there are other users out there – and with some patience – you should be able to make it run.

good luck :)

albear
03-26-2004, 07:00 PM
i can tell you those answers again, you don't need to write them down ;)

your screen looks different coz you're using ircle and redEva showed mIRC and Trillion. ircle isn't really as user friendly (thats the understatement of the century) so your list of people who are in the room comes up in a box at the top right hand corner.

glad you made it for a chat :D
*bearhugs*