PDA

View Full Version : A is for Aftercare

maddie
09-15-2006, 05:58 AM
BDSM play can be emotionally and physically exhausting. The adrenaline and endorphins released create a powerful experience. It's essential to be careful throughout play, but it's just as important to tend to each other after play is ended.

Aftercare, as defined by our very own Aesop:

Aftercare: The time after a BDSM scene or play session in which the participants calm down, discuss the previous events and their personal reactions to them, and slowly come back in touch with reality. BDSM often involves an endorphin high and very intense experience, and failure to engage in proper aftercare can lead to subdrop as these return to more everyday levels.

(Subdrop, as defined by Wikipedia: A physical condition, often with cold- or flu-like symptoms, experienced by a submissive after an intense session of BDSM play. This can last for as long as a week, and is best prevented by aftercare immediately after the session.)

Following play, subs require special attention to deal with these emotional and physical effects. Doms also need to be careful to return to their normal state of mind, too. Because BDSM involves a power exchange and some very strong emotions, both parties need to be take the time to wind down.

Emotionally: Proper aftercare allows the sub to return to their normal state of mind. Verbal reassurances and cuddling are a good start.

Physically: Tend to any marks or wounds that may have occurred. After extended play, nourishment and water are very important.

Wikipedia offers aftercare as an acronym, describing the various aspects of aftercare:

A is for Attentiveness: Attend to the needs of a sub, both physically and mentally. Try to figure out in advance what you'll need, so it's readily available.

F is for Fortify: Fortify the body's needs. Keep hydrated. Make sure to take into consideration any medical conditions. Take time to clean up and rest after play.

T is for Transition: BDSM involves a power exchange. It's important to learn how to refocus after play, shifting mental gears back to "normal". Proper aftercare allows a sub to feel safe and secure.

E is for Express: Express appreciation for a sub (or a Dom) and the effort that went into play. Talk about the connections you've made, the way you care about each other because of them.

R is for Recovery: Take the time to fully recover from a scene, be it emotionally or physically. Depending on the intensity of play, this can take some time.

C is for Communicate: Communication is the most essential aspect of BDSM. Being supportive, listening to each other after play helps each person return to a normal state of mind.

A is for Analyze: Assess any immediate needs, both physical and emotional. Don't dive into a massive analysis of the scene right away, but look at what worked, what didn't, and the effects of the scene.

R is for Reflect: Was the scene successful? Did both parties enjoy it? Is it worth repeating? Would different equipment or precautions be necessary for similar play in the future?

E is for Explore: What worked? What didn't? Where would you like to go with this in the future?

Aftercare isn't just a quick cuddle and a peck on the cheek or pat on the head. It's not just a couple minutes of cuddling. It requires thought, on the part of all involved, and shouldn't be rushed.

Very useful site: www.albanypowerexchange.com/BDSMinfo/aftercare.htm

Tojo
09-15-2006, 06:22 AM
If I may add something, it's possible to experience subdrop days after a session. Both parties have a responsiblity that is ongoing IMO.

Tojo

MsUther
09-15-2006, 06:28 AM
Such good work you have done on this , maddie. I look forward to follow this in the future. Thank you :)

Silke
09-15-2006, 07:10 AM
Very cool research, maddie. Hell, it's an important subject...

Thank you for sharing! :)

RickBulow74
09-15-2006, 07:15 AM
Very good topic, maddie. If I am not mistaken, and correct me if I am in error, aftercare is not just for just a few hours or even one day, but rather a long time until the next scene.

maddie
09-15-2006, 07:24 AM
Yes, subdrop can last for several hours or can appear days later.

I'd love to hear from some of you about how you do aftercare. Even better, from those of you who have experienced subdrop, and how it feels.

Aesop
09-15-2006, 07:54 AM
Well first of all I borrowed that definition so it's not exactly mine.

I don't think I can define how I do aftercare because it's never the same. Mostly it's just being there for your submissive in whatever way they need right now. That may mean holding them while they cry or it may mean talking for a time afterwords or....really it just depends on what was involved and how the submissive took it.

I will say that aftercare is harder online than in person. Submissives are a stubborn group all in all (no offense meant) and many don't want to burden a dom with their pain. In r/l that's easy to spot and can be handled. In an online environment it's a lot harder so as a dom I constantly ask questions after a scene. I've been fooled a couple of times into thinking everything was fine only to find out later that it wasn't.

So talk to your submissives and make it clear that honesty is the most important part of all of this.

(I sound like a public service announcement. lol )

maddie
09-15-2006, 08:20 AM
Thank you for addressing the next question I was going to raise, Aesop. I've often wondered how people in online relationships deal with subdrop.

dzire2pleeze
09-15-2006, 08:31 AM
~smiles sweetly at teacher~ Thank you very much for the lesson Miss Maddie.

~closes notebook, sits quietly with hands folded on desk and waits patiently for the recess bell~

RickBulow74
09-15-2006, 09:04 AM
I do know I was only involved in few online scenes as a sub in an HTML chatroom, and the Dommes I was with asked no questions or how I felt after the scene but immediately left. I wish they had, as I would have liked to reveal feelings and such.

SheepishJaina
09-15-2006, 09:26 AM
Thanks to all who've helped work on this. Being able to share and learn together is truly the reason i come here.

Warbaby1943
09-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Speaking from a wealth of inexperience, I would think that after care may be almost as important to the Dom/Domme as it is to the sub. They seem to put a lot of themselves into any great session too. Just my opinion probably way off base but I have been wrong many times before so you're not getting a virgin.

maddie
09-15-2006, 03:49 PM
Oh, I think you're absolutely right, Warbaby. Doms need aftercare, too, to return to their normal state of mind.

Silke
09-15-2006, 04:03 PM
I believe it's quite a challenge to give adequate aftercare in an online setting where you're so deprived of a lot of channels. I'm one of those 'stubborn' subs that Aesop talked about and like to work things out for myself, not wanting my dom to get worried or think that I need help. I find it hard to address feelings, especially slightly negative ones, directly after a session. I play it cool or am extremely giggly...sometimes that's the way I really feel, at least for a short time afterwards, but sometimes it's a wall I hide behind. Figuring out what's actually the case or digging a little deeper must be a challenge for any dom. *sighs*

What helps me sometimes, is writing things down for myself. I'm happy to pass on those notes later, but first of all I want to find my own words and reflect. Asking me directly afterwards usually gets very little and redundant information to what's going on inside me.

It's getting better, though. The closer I get to my Master and the more I trust him, the easier it is for me to open up. :)

chattel69
09-15-2006, 04:43 PM
I think one of the reasons I don't like cyber is for the lack of emotional connection. Aftercare in my case differs depending on the scene, a really intense scene of whipping, flogging, and prolonged excitement would require more aftercare then just a slap and tickle.

I had a scene with some needles and fire where once it was over I just moved to the couch while another person had their turn with needles and I experienced subdrop while I watched her connection with the Dom and realized all of what i was missing.

Silke
09-15-2006, 05:00 PM
chattel - I don't think cyber equals lack of emotional connection. It's just a different form of connection. True, you can't hug a person or watch them for clues as to how they feel...but you can still touch through words. I didn't think this was possible before I tried it...but I can literally feel my Master by now and he can make me cry, drool, wet, desperate, frustrated...or jump around with joy only with his words and the pictures he paints.

Granted, I'm still missing out on extremely important things...I'd love to feel him, smell him, cuddle, drown in his eyes, whatever...but the *emotional* connection couldn't be greater than it already is - only the physical one.

Same with aftercare...you can't touch and you're missing out on clues, but you can make the person on the other end feel loved, accepted, cherished, valuable, whole...you name it. It's possible, just a little different and maybe harder. :)

MsUther
09-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Yes, you do miss out on much. But on the other hand you also gains a few priveledges when online. For me, I find it easier to be completly honest with my own thoughts and emotions. Often I do the stuborn sub happy go lucky act, but that sometimes can be done in real to. Although not that easy maybe.
But what I ment to say was that online connections can also make things easier, in some ways. The fact that you miss out on all the body language also means that you can miss out on all the body language stress.

I am too self absorbed, so that often when relating to people that stirs my emotions deeply, I become so aware of myself and how i look and act, that I`m sure I blur out much thoughts and emotions. When online, even if on cam, you still have less to stress about.
I`m not sure I was very clear on that, lol.

mina
09-16-2006, 12:19 AM
Yep… cuddling works well for me. Depending on what we did, I might need to be held for awhile first (after wounds have been taken care of) before I can give any kind of coherent thoughts besides simple one word answers. I think cuddling is probably the best way (for me at least) to start making that transition back into a safe, gentle place, however ironic it might be to do so after being… well you can imagine ;)

_ID_
09-16-2006, 02:06 AM
The aftercare I provide is fresh cool water, a blanket, and letting them float back down to reality like a feather does to the ground. Once they begin to make more sounds than the kind of grunts heard by neanderthals. I ask them how they are doing, I usually ask them if they know their name first, then ask if they know where they are, then ask if they know what day it is. This helps me gage if they are still lost in the euphoria of subspace, or back in touch with the rest of the planet.

Once they are able to regain control of their muscles to the point of walking without needing to be held up. I talk with them about the scene. Not to ask if they enjoyed it (it was too obvious that they did usually). I ask them how they felt about what was done, if they felt certian things I did, what they were aware of, and what they were not.

It helps me to better understand how to play out a scene when I know these things. However many times the submissives tells me they were not aware of much more than the rythm and the music of the scene rather than the things that were being used on them.

In the online enviroment, I found that a submissive can experience the after effects for quite some time, and that talking to them asking them how they feel, if they are ok and such helps to let them know that you are concerned for their well being.

I have enjoyed the many responses on this subject. Thank you all for giving such great accounts of your expereinces.

V/R
ID

Warbaby1943
09-16-2006, 03:32 AM
chattel - I don't think cyber equals lack of emotional connection. It's just a different form of connection. True, you can't hug a person or watch them for clues as to how they feel...but you can still touch through words.
silke I couldn't agree more with what you have just said. 2 months ago I would have argued for the opposite point of view but I have come to realize I would have been totally and absolutely wrong. Words have really opened up my eyes and heart.

cariad
09-17-2006, 12:37 PM
The aftercare I provide is fresh cool water, a blanket, and letting them float back down to reality like a feather does to the ground. Once they begin to make more sounds than the kind of grunts heard by neanderthals. I ask them how they are doing, I usually ask them if they know their name first, then ask if they know where they are, then ask if they know what day it is. This helps me gage if they are still lost in the euphoria of subspace, or back in touch with the rest of the planet.

ID, I could not agree more with the transition you describe, although I would not wished to be asked questions. I can see why you do it, but attempting to answer questions, I might try pull myself out of subspace rather than just 'float back to reality'.

Once they are able to regain control of their muscles to the point of walking without needing to be held up. I talk with them about the scene. Not to ask if they enjoyed it (it was too obvious that they did usually). I ask them how they felt about what was done, if they felt certian things I did, what they were aware of, and what they were not.

At this point I am not ready for analysis, just to enjoy at a very simple level both for myself and to give my Dom positive feedback. For me, the more detailed analysis cannot come until after I have slept on it, and returned to full mental functionality.

In the online enviroment, I found that a submissive can experience the after effects for quite some time, and that talking to them asking them how they feel, if they are ok and such helps to let them know that you are concerned for their well being.

Again, fully supporting what you say ID. Aftercare is just as important online, although is even harder for both parties, particularly in the early stages when verbal communication skills are low. I don't think there are any easy answers, other than both have a responsibility to devote time to after care, to give and receive communications to the best of their ability and to remember that this should be borne in mind, hours or even days later.

cariad

MrDom
09-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Well guys how do i do my after care that a good question. Right after play I spend just several hours with my pet holding her loving her caressing her. I make sure there plenty of water for her to drink durning and after play.
But mostly my aftercare I do all the time. Because yes subdrop can occur up too several days after play. I like to play with my pet a lot so for me it full time aftercare. She can walk in the front door after work and I am there for her just tobe there for her this make her feelsafe and secure knowing that I am there for her. So i make aftercare full time and it feels great for both of us.

MrDom

Smoke's-Slut
09-17-2006, 06:49 PM
My relationship is an online one with my Sir. We will meet one day but this is what works for us both right now. He is very attentive to me and in my daily life as well. I decided through reading a few different things in this forum to keep an online blog of my experiences and how I feel. I write about our sessions, what was involved and how I felt during and after. I felt this would be a benefit for us both. My online relationship with Sir has been so much more fulfilling and pleasurable than many of my R/L relationships. I look forward to the day I meet Sir. Thank you for this informative thread.

maddie
09-17-2006, 06:50 PM
I have to say that, when we initially started to explore BDSM, we'd cuddle after play, but I never really realized we were doing something important. Now, I think I like the closeness of aftercare almost as much as what we do in a scene. I love how I get to curl up next to my husband and snuggle, feeling blissful and secure.

cariad
09-18-2006, 07:37 PM
I have to say that, when we initially started to explore BDSM, we'd cuddle after play, but I never really realized we were doing something important. Now, I think I like the closeness of aftercare almost as much as what we do in a scene. I love how I get to curl up next to my husband and snuggle, feeling blissful and secure.

Safe and secure - those are the magic words for me.

cariad

Uncle_Ed
10-08-2006, 12:53 AM
maddie,

Great thread.

Er...subs? aftercare? Yet-no mention of chocolate? I'm confused...

cariad
10-08-2006, 02:53 AM
Looks pitifully at Uncle. If you need chocolate explaining to you, you won't need the aftercare guidance.

cariad

DemonGoddess
10-15-2006, 03:19 AM
I guess I've never given it much thought. After having read this thread though and giving it some thought I think that aftercare is applicable to more than just BDSM relationships and scenes. There are too many relationships where sex is (if I may steal the expression...) "Wham Bham ThankYou Ma'am" cuddling and talking afterwards is a good thing even if the talking isn't about the scene. So that there is a conection on more than the sexual level. Well not more. Just on a different level.

maddie
10-15-2006, 04:45 AM
That's an excellent point, DG. I can see there being lots of times when aftercare would apply to "vanilla" sex.

Ozme52
10-15-2006, 04:49 PM
I guess I've never given it much thought. After having read this thread though and giving it some thought I think that aftercare is applicable to more than just BDSM relationships and scenes. There are too many relationships where sex is (if I may steal the expression...) "Wham Bham ThankYou Ma'am" cuddling and talking afterwards is a good thing even if the talking isn't about the scene. So that there is a conection on more than the sexual level. Well not more. Just on a different level.

And here I always thought Wham-Bam was specifically a bdsm term. :rolleyes:

But seriously, when you think about it, all human relations require fore, during, and after exchange. Even something as mundane as making a deal or signing a contract, often includes a celebration by the parties involved. We need some kind of release after the stress of the event.

learningtopleez
10-16-2006, 10:57 AM
Being held, and kissed, and cuddled after an intense scene is something every Dom should know! Of course that's just what I prefer!:rolleyes:

I'm sure it's quite different for every sub, or for every couple, but aftercare is a must, no matter what type of aftercare you choose.

Thanks maddie for this thread!:)

ropenhighheels
10-18-2006, 09:00 PM
Being held, and kissed, and cuddled after an intense scene is something every Dom should know! Of course that's just what I prefer!:rolleyes:

I'm sure it's quite different for every sub, or for every couple, but aftercare is a must, no matter what type of aftercare you choose.

Thanks maddie for this thread!:)

Of course it is a MUST beautiful! We've already talked about that now haven't we??

Echoes
10-23-2006, 06:29 AM
Thank you maddie and everyone who has contributed with their perspectives and views. It has helped me to understand a bit more (after I posted initial post in the wrong section!) :p at least I managed to hit the right forum

Wolven_Vixen
01-06-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm very much a newbie here and try to read what I can when I have time. I have to say...I had no idea that something like subdrop could occur, nor did I understand sub space until I experienced it... I see how important the aftercare is and it means a lot to know that the people on this board address it as such.

So from a newbie sub seeking knowledge...Thank you!

smilie
01-09-2007, 12:41 PM
I am also new here adn had experianced subdrop before i knew what it was, I was almost out of my mind with everything that was going on in my head and I didn't know why it was happening ,Thankfully my master is a very cuddly type to start with( i know Master and Cuddly don't seem to fit) so he was able to help me back Thank you for all the Information in these threads to a newbie it is a great thing!

Mishka
02-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Did your Dom/me, perhaps in the beginning, have trouble connecting to your needs afterwards? Trouble comforting? Perhaps, not in tune with how vulnerable you might be feeling? I don't mean ignore, or not bother. I mean their attempts to comfort just were perhaps distracted, you did not feel their empathy.

How did you, S/He work through it?

Akuma-san
03-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Speaking from the Dom side I take great pride in my aftercare. I have a policy to never break the skin. Blood is a turn off for me so I tell that straight to a sub. After a session I will pamper my sub to the 100th degree.

I will give her a warm flower oil full body message. Warm River rocks on muscles that are sore. After the rub down I give her a long hot bath with flower petals in the water and relaxation candles burning. Then wrap her in a silk robe and cuddle for hours as we talk about it. I keep the lights off and only use candle light. After a blindfold normal lights are harsh. Then the next day I will look her over to make sure she is ok another message and long bath. Then I will dress her normally in her favorite clothes. We then go out and I will treat her to ice cream (her favorite thing on earth.)

That is my normal aftercare session.

suchaminx
03-19-2007, 12:56 AM
Akuma-san - yours words made me float away in fantasy - what a lucky lady

~smiles~

minxy

cadence
03-31-2007, 12:08 PM
Being oline only, I had never even considered that sub drop could occur. After care is just as important in this aspect as well, and even more so I believe.
After having a particularly bad episode of as of late, I came across a thread elsewhere on sub drop and how to manage it.

I am usually left on my own to deal with it, and sometimes have a difficult time trying to focus and get motivated to bring myself out of that funk.
While I have read a few things on aftercare, I have not been able to find much pertaining to an online perspective.

I am wondering how others who do share online relationships, deal with aftercare, and how do you deal with it when it crops up much later on.
Sometimes in an online situation, you cannot always be accessible to the other person.

I know that exercise is a good way to shake off any mood swings you feel and a good way to keep your mind focused. I try to excercise and eat well as much as I can, but my job takes up more than 70% of my day, and that makes it more difficult trying to control that sub drop.

lilsubangel
06-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Speaking from the Dom side I take great pride in my aftercare. I have a policy to never break the skin. Blood is a turn off for me so I tell that straight to a sub. After a session I will pamper my sub to the 100th degree.

I will give her a warm flower oil full body message. Warm River rocks on muscles that are sore. After the rub down I give her a long hot bath with flower petals in the water and relaxation candles burning. Then wrap her in a silk robe and cuddle for hours as we talk about it. I keep the lights off and only use candle light. After a blindfold normal lights are harsh. Then the next day I will look her over to make sure she is ok another message and long bath. Then I will dress her normally in her favorite clothes. We then go out and I will treat her to ice cream (her favorite thing on earth.)

That is my normal aftercare session.
Wow! You definitely care very much for your sub. Do you have a clone? :D

elliemay
06-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Aftercare to me is so important (as a sub) I tend to react strongly, not being particulary submissive in everyday life the shift in my frame of mind which happens naturally can be overwhelming when the scene is over.
I have a tendency also to be affected by the highs of the session, I shake and cry and tend to feel spaced or sick after and need to ground myself.
So I tend to need physical contact, holding and hugging. To me if we have had a particularly intense session I tend to get a touch clingly for a few days after, like I feel the distance between us more, I think it's part of the strengthening connection being that when we move away from that intensity it leaves a feeling of loss or distance that in reality is not there.

just my thoughts.

newby
08-24-2007, 02:31 PM
This is excellent info for a newby like me. I experienced subdrop w/out even knowing a thing like that existed. Thanks to all who share...

NikkiKat
09-28-2007, 05:41 PM
I have experience subspace 3 times (2 online and 1 real life), and subdrop once (online).

It was mentioned earlier that people find it hard sometimes to express feelings online. I agree, it's really hard. I've only had one Dom that I felt was able to adequately deal with my emotions online. He could tell how I was feeling by the way I greeted Him. If you pay enough attention to every detail, it is possible to be very perceptive.

The first time I experienced subspace (online) was with a friend of mine who has been in the lifestyle for as long as I've been alive. He was able to bring me down safely and enjoyably.

The second time I experience subspace was in real life. I fell asleep afterward, but my Dom/boyfriend was able to take care of me, nonetheless.

Lastly, online, was a horrible experience. Subspace is great, but when you're that high, you fall hard. It took me a long time to realize what happened, because I was not familiar with subdrop back then. The only thing I really remember is that I was extremely depressed for a couple of days and I felt oddly suicidal. I'm not the type of person to commit suicide, which is when I first knew that something was seriously wrong. Fortunately, I had a friend in the lifestyle who was able to figure out what happened and bring me out of it.

Oh well. You learn from your mistakes, right?

-Nikki

Iron_Lynx
11-20-2007, 12:07 AM
My first sub drop was just a few weeks ago, and while I knew of it and what to watch for, I was most apparently not in the state of mind to recognize it in myself (and in fact, I didn't realize what had caused my complete meltdown until a week later) and I almost got myself fired when I spiraled into irrational anger and was found bloody-knuckled in the bathroom wailing on a metal paper-towel dispenser with no excuse for myself.

It started when I was pleasantly surprised by a quick session during my lunch hour. However, that time we took things too far for a couple reasons.
1) I tend to push myself to go further weather I really think I can take more "abuse" or not and so I failed to voice that things where getting beyond me.
2) We are still learning each other and so without my communication, my dom has a hard time determining what I can take and where I am at emotionally.
So, I probably gave her quite a shock when I broke the leather cuffs she gave me from the awkward position I was in. Of course she dropped what she was doing and moved to after care, but the time left in my lunch hour just wasn't enough for how far we had gone.

So, now we come back to that part where I am found an hour later in the bathroom at work beating on a metal cube with all my might. I'm lucky to have my job, but I've learned something I can maybe pass on from the experience. Leave plenty of time for after care and keep the potential for sub-drop in mind throughout the session, especially if you have plans for afterward. Never push your limits when you don't have time to recover. It seems obvious, but I had to learn it the hard way.

(Seriously now, I don't want anyone getting a bad impression of my mistress because I'm sharing her one mistake with you. )

BTW, my hands are fine.

~faerie~
11-21-2007, 05:25 PM
I believe it's quite a challenge to give adequate aftercare in an online setting where you're so deprived of a lot of channels. I'm one of those 'stubborn' subs that Aesop talked about and like to work things out for myself, not wanting my dom to get worried or think that I need help. I find it hard to address feelings, especially slightly negative ones, directly after a session. I play it cool or am extremely giggly...sometimes that's the way I really feel, at least for a short time afterwards, but sometimes it's a wall I hide behind. Figuring out what's actually the case or digging a little deeper must be a challenge for any dom. *sighs*

What helps me sometimes, is writing things down for myself. I'm happy to pass on those notes later, but first of all I want to find my own words and reflect. Asking me directly afterwards usually gets very little and redundant information to what's going on inside me.

It's getting better, though. The closer I get to my Master and the more I trust him, the easier it is for me to open up. :)

i am in complete agreement. i usually need time to put my thoughts together in a way that makes sense. i still have trouble opening up, but slowly it is becoming easier. The note idea is one that i use as well.
my Master is always attentive, and asks how i feel afterward...physically and mentally...my thoughts, feelings, ideas, etc. we speak freely and take time to unwind. this is a definite learning process for both partied involved. time and consideration is very important.
this is a great thread and everyone has a lot of great advice.
Thanks!

Whippett
01-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Two points based on the above comments - I dislike cyber because I am too disconnected from my sub to keep her from doing something she might regret afterwards; and I am a very physical person - and need to see her face as we work - as well as touch her. It's ok as a stop-gap between real-time sessions, but only when there's no alternative.

And aftercare:
Yes, it's extremely important - even for subs who claim they prefer just to be left for a while. I'm fond of suspension (addicted might be a better word - lol) . My girl likes to be left to hang after an intense session, but I don't like to do that - we're still working on a compromise that fits us both - and she seems to be coming round to my way of thinking (of course she does as she's told in this regard, but I want her to enjoy it, not just do it to please me).

Even after a short session - if she achieves subspace (and she usually does unless we're both off our game for some reason), the endorphine withdrawal can be an issue. She usually says she's fine and just needs quiet - but I prefer a more hands on approach - so I take her down, sit her on my lap, wrap a blanket around us both and hand feed her tidbits I prepare before the session - she never knows what the treats will be - she's not allowed to look - but they are always things she likes - usually a combination of fruits and chocolates. She isn't allowed to take them - she's fed them slowly, from my fingers or from between my teeth - between sips of water. We both find it exceedingly erotic - for her to sit, naked, cuddled on my lap and be teased with morsels of fruit and chocolate - between tidbits, I'll stroke her hair and call her a good girl and favourite slut and other soft things and give her kisses. If it's going to be a long session - I usually look for more exotic treats than the usual - perhaps a special chocolate, or if there are fresh figs or cumquats or star fruit available - I'll use those. If she wants to hang after we've done our after-care ritual - I'll put her back on the suspension frame, turn off all the lights except by a reading chair - turn the stereo down and put on one of her favourite pieces of music - the reading chair is positioned where she can see me - and I'll sit there and read (sometimes aloud) or just watch her. I also tend to get up frequently and just stroke her gently. I don't leave her hanging for more than half an hour, then lower her and release her. All in all a good after-care session can last for several hours - especially after an intense session.

If it's late in the evening - after-care is usually followed by a bath, bed and a story...she's always tucked in and read to after a session - sometimes I join her after she starts to fall asleep - sometimes I let her sleep for a while before joining her - it depends on whether I'm still a little hyper or not.

newby
01-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Good stuff, Whippett...thanks for sharing. my Man & i had a fisting & breath play nite recently & even tho that's mild comparatively, i cried afterwards. Not a bad, sad, upset cry just overwhelming emotion. It scares Him 'cause He thinks He's hurt me or something so seeing reminders about aftercare is helpful for us that are new to this.

Tojo
02-17-2008, 04:18 PM
There are so many parallels between D/s & 'straight' relationships- aftercare is yet another.

Suppose you meet a willing & attractive person at the hardware shop & invite them home for some fun. Would you leap off as soon as you'd had your first orgasm, & say 'that was fun, seeya' as you shove them out the door?

Not unless you're a complete asshole. If you really care for someone, you'll be there for them when they need you- D/s can bring up feelings she's never experienced.

Not only do you need to make sure she's OK, you need to make sure she knows she has a responsibility to yell out next day, or whatever if she's not. We need to be accessible.

It makes sense to spend some time caring & sharing after any intense experience.

delish
02-17-2008, 06:18 PM
I'm an emotional wreck, so I tend to be high maintenance in the area of aftercare. Unfortunately, he's not always able to physically do as much for me as he would like, in this regard, but he is always careful to make sure I'm okay, especially when I pull away too quickly and distance myself. I am very lucky in that he has always taken my emotional needs into consideration, perhaps above all else. Definitely above all else, actually.

slave_juice
02-19-2008, 10:18 AM
She usually says she's fine and just needs quiet - but I prefer a more hands on approach -

i like how your aftercare is so nurturing and you seem to dedicate alot of time and thought to it...

it seems like your sub is saying that she needs some quiet time after a scene though, for some subs that is necessary before (or as part of) after care...

for me, after a scene, when im in subspace... my brain is on "standby" im non functional and unreceptive to any stimuli... i very much need that time to process and recover from the scene...

when my dom and i first played together, we were both suprised that i needed that... now, after a scene, he has me comfortable under a blanket, in total silence... eventually he starts bringing me out of it and then proceeds to provide aftercare... it really works for me, i wonder how ur sub would feel about it...

GreyJack
02-20-2008, 01:18 AM
Certainly every sub's/slave's aftercare needs will differ, just as it differs from Dom/Domme/Master/Mistress. There are indeed genuinely sub/slaves who want the additional excitement (even following subspace) to be "disregarded." For one thing it adds to the "being used" feeling. Aftercare which consists of anything from simple cuddling to full-blown spa visits can also depend on the intensity of the play and/or the maintenance of the sub's/slave's well-being. Like most things, there can be no general rules -- however, if the communication and empathy are strong between partners they will be sensitive to what to do when and why. Intense scenes are cathartic, even in some cases, metamorphic...passion changes the inner core, or at least it can.

Whippett
02-22-2008, 10:48 PM
i like how your aftercare is so nurturing and you seem to dedicate alot of time and thought to it...

it seems like your sub is saying that she needs some quiet time after a scene though, for some subs that is necessary before (or as part of) after care...

for me, after a scene, when im in subspace... my brain is on "standby" im non functional and unreceptive to any stimuli... i very much need that time to process and recover from the scene...

when my dom and i first played together, we were both suprised that i needed that... now, after a scene, he has me comfortable under a blanket, in total silence... eventually he starts bringing me out of it and then proceeds to provide aftercare... it really works for me, i wonder how ur sub would feel about it...

I guess I should clarify somewhat - I cut some corners in my original post since this is a discussion of after-care.

How after-care proceeds depends on the scene with us - if she's very deeply into subspace, and not processing, I like to make sure she is indeed fine before I give her the quiet time she needs. When she's deeply into subspace she will keep on going to the point of physical injury if allowed to - so her "I'm fine, I just need some quiet." is usually just part of her standard "I'm fine response." regardless of whether she is or not. In those cases I take a hands on approach until I'm sure she is indeed fine. Once I'm sure she is, she gets her preferred quiet time method (she rests easier either caged or suspended, depending on how she's feeling). The heat is kept up in the dungeon so she doesn't catch chill - she prefers not to be covered when having quiet time.

If the scene has been less intense, or she's not so deep into subspace she's unable to process, then I'll generally take her down from the suspension rig and re-suspend her in another pose which puts less strain on her if she wants quiet time - and give her a little water as I reposition her.

I use a baby monitor and a webcam to monitor her when she's having quiet time - so I can keep an eye on her and make sure she's ok - when she gets a little restless I know she's ready to rejoin me - and the after-care proceeds.

So yes - she gets the quiet time she needs - but I make sure she's fine before I leave her.

bip0lar
03-09-2008, 01:34 PM
heh, i think i too should be added to the list of Aesop's stubborn subs, although Master always asks, there are times when i really think i can handle my emotions alone. However, i do think that both (or more heh) parties need some alone time, preferably in each other arms, cuddling, yet, especially after a difficult scene, some things (normally the more negative ones) should be thought-over before said. but that's my view on things :x

icey
03-09-2008, 11:01 PM
aftercare depends upon circumstances,it isnt just about the hugs cuddling drinks and keeping warm etc its also the practical things such as applying any ointments needed or bathing and checking welts, open wounds, bleeding (needs to be done during too!) marks etc.

as a rope lover being in the ropes afterwards for a while (doesnt have to be anything to intricate) is wonderful as it gives that feeling of security and safety and warmth :) like being held and soothed,although its best not to do it immediately and not as restrictive as it would normally be.

people talk about the need for discussion which i fully agree with but sometimes you're just not capable of it, when you're punch drunk its a bit difficult to have serious conversations so it has to wait sometimes not much point to it otherwise.
if at any point the Dom/me feels that the sub is getting too spaced out my personal opinion is that they should slow things down or even stop it if necassary or stop if the Dom/me feels he/she is becoming spaced out too can he/she be fully alert? because the sub probably wont be.

i need to be kept awake for a short while afterwards when ive been really spaced out if not i tend to go into a very heavy sleep and wake up more disorientated and confused and often a headache and thats when im most likely to drop.which will leave me weepy and dazed.

'subdrop' ...probably the worst drop i ever had was after a really intense long session.
i was high as a kite for quite a long time,giddy laughing and wobbling all over the place.
i had a sleep a little later when id come down and felt absolutely fine for the rest of the day and the following morning,but when we went shopping later the following day Icehawk left me just for a minute to get something and i got really paranoid it seemed like everyone was staring and talking about me,my vision was a little blurred i started feeling panicky and was convinced he had just abandoned me and started to cry and shake.
Icehawk had to hold me steady while we got back to the car keeping me constantly occupied and alert without overstimulating me or the minute my concentration went i was back to feeling dazed and weepy.

he gave me icecream tucked me up in bed and read to me until i fell asleep and didnt leave my side,it wasnt until a day or so later that fully stopped all the time he kept a close eye on me.
ive had drops before nothing major and short lived but that was the worst ever and it really flooredme, im just glad i had Icehawk there to look after me.

MasterDragon
10-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Okay so first of all please do not let me offend people but this is the research I have done.

First of all this is on many sites and books.
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Aftercare-(BDSM)

Amusing... before I go on. Until I saw the Aesop screen name I was looking for this in Aesop's Fables.

Second, care never stops. Aftercare is in the medical term which is where we get most of our terms.
Here are two different definitions and reference quotes from mid 1700's and present

af·ter·care /ˈæftərˌkɛər, ˈɑf-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[af-ter-kair, ahf-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun Medicine/Medical.
the care and treatment of a convalescent patient.
[Origin: 1755–65; after + care]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
__________________________________________________ _______________
af·ter·care (āf'tər-kâr') Pronunciation Key
n.

1. Follow-up care provided after a medical procedure or treatment program.
2. Care provided to children after school, especially in an organized setting.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
__________________________________________________ _______________

This tells me that it is after any 'treatment' till better. Now as we do not know when better is until symptoms have abated. So after which is solely just called care.

I come from a different era, I think, I was not given Master, not to be confused with Dom, credentials till I knew this all by heart and studied outside sources other than my trainers teachings. I knew this all before I practiced on my own. Now sad part is to day people do not know the life enough before they claim Master. Not to go into the differences between Master and Dom/slave and submissive role. For they are very different things. I am now thinking of going back into training, so there are no more wrongful deaths and hospital visits from the non-experienced.

walkingdude225
10-14-2008, 11:54 AM
i never thought of aftercare thanks maddie... by the way is there a top drop too?

MasterDragon
10-14-2008, 04:04 PM
i never thought of aftercare thanks maddie... by the way is there a top drop too?

Physically, yes. There is exhaustion.

Mentally, yes. There is remorse, sometimes. There is also PTSD that may effect the Dominant. Also there is empathic connection. Also the things we were taught to be wrong may effect us. There is also the mental work to stay in that head space may be mentally draining for some.

Emotionally, yes. Again possible PTSD and Empathic. Also the things we were taught to be wrong may effect us.

It is highly unlikely that this will be apparent. Dominants have usually trained themselves to hide such things or on occasion it is innate.

This may only visually effect when the next session happens and how intense it is.

Dragon:bondage: