PDA

View Full Version : Thought i would share

Havensov
10-09-2006, 07:50 AM
Here is sort of a tease shot of me. Yeah, I know, I’m wearing a mask and dressed up. This is me as one of the many personas I have when I work the Ren Faires.

This is IMP... Mostly he runs around growling at people and spooking them. He has also been know to perch someplace and stand very still and wait for people to ignore him then jumping out startling anyone near by.

Just thought I would share.

Havensov
11-21-2006, 08:15 AM
If you didn't already know, I perform at Ren Faires in MI, IN, and IL. Not surprisingly most of the recent photos of my come from these events, including some in the fall issue of "Fairies". Here are some more of me, so everyone can put a face to the name.

Also, if you ever are interested about Ren Faires, let me know, I probably know of some in your area, or even the ones i will be at.

Thanks

cala
11-23-2006, 07:15 AM
If you didn't already know, I perform at Ren Faires in MI, IN, and IL. Not surprisingly most of the recent photos of my come from these events, including some in the fall issue of "Fairies". Here are some more of me, so everyone can put a face to the name.

Also, if you ever are interested about Ren Faires, let me know, I probably know of some in your area, or even the ones i will be at.

Thanks

Ren Fairies? Not a thing I've heard of in the UK. Or heard of at all, really.

It certainly looks like great fun. Especially the sharp weaponry... :D

moptop
11-23-2006, 07:21 AM
Me too neither, cala. But yes, looks suitably silly! And a nice face it is too, Havensov

Guest 91108
11-23-2006, 08:01 AM
Nice Havensov.
I go to the one they had in NC.
a pretty good link. http://renaissance-faire.com/

cala
11-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Ahh!! Renaissance Faires. That's a good link, Wolfscout.

I suppose the closest UK version is The Sealed Knot, an English civil war re-enactment society.

Definitely a wicked smile behind that blade.

vistana
11-23-2006, 01:29 PM
Gotta love a man with a sword!
Nice pics, I've always thought Ren Faires would be a lot of fun.

Sir_G
11-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Great pics Havensov. I think you would have been a handy man to have around in those days of the future past.

frankee
11-23-2006, 05:46 PM
Great pics, Havensov. Very handsome;)

Havensov
11-27-2006, 08:00 AM
have you ever had one of those moments where you just feel dumb....

"What do you mean they don't have Renaissance Faires in the UK....." Then WAK!!! The clue-by-4 hits ya in the head and suddenly you understand... "Thats right, the Renaissance time would have been the UK's civil war...."

Ok, so, I'm sorry for using short hand, should have given a bit more of an explanation of Ren Faire.

Wolfscout, haven't made it to that Faire yet, the ones up here keep us pretty busy most of the summer.

As a side note for those of you in the UK, you might find it funny but there is a Faire here in the states in Illinois that is supposed to be a recreation of Renaissance period Bristol England.

BTW, there is a difference between a handsome man with a sword.... and a handsome man with a swords that know how to use it....

moptop
11-27-2006, 08:10 AM
Well, Havensov, you're not quite right - Renaissance started with the Tudors over here, really, so a good while before the civil war. It's just that we don't have re-enactments of renaissance times here specifically. We do have civil war re-enactments. Also Viking & Arthurian. And I'd be surprised if there weren't a few Armadas around, or something, so that would be Renaissance. And some of the English/Scottish wars, Bonny Prince Charlie times, etc. This one rather took my fancy - http://www.lacewars.co.uk/. Very pretty.

Bristol is certainly a good place to have a re-enactment based around - lots of pirates and naughty stuff going on!

Havensov
11-27-2006, 08:28 AM
Unfortunately, Renaissance Faires is not really a good name for the Faires. Some have differing time periods and some have even done away with the term Renaissance in there names and are going more to fantasy faires. The group i run, we jump around depending on what faire we are at, one day we can be based in the time of the English invasion of Scotland, and then next day more toward pirates of the early colonial days. We try and match what the faire has chosen as its time frame, but even then it can be a bit open.

Some of the faires are small, drawing maybe a few hundred visitors, 5-10 performer groups, and 20 vender's. These are usually only one or two weekends long and are held in parks with lots of tents. Then you have some of the big events, that take up 10-15 arcs, draws crowds in the 10s of thousands, 100's of performers, and close to 1000 vender's. These can go all summer long ever weekend and are true spectacles to be seen.

We do one faire in IL that is a Fairy Festival, so time period is not a problem, but it does make for an interesting time when you have a Scotsmen in traditional great kilt fighting a Caribbean pirate.... with wings... lol

So, Renaissance Faires or Ren Faires has become more of a generic term for faires that are based anywhere from the middle ages up to the Renaissance. Also, the term Rennie is a generic for anyone that works the faires, kind like carnies, we just dress a bit older. There are constant joking around what a true Rennie is, based on years working the faires, how many faires you work, whether your a performer or a merchant or staff, etc.

Me, i have been working faires since i was about 5 years old, and it can range from two faires a year to 10. For me, i love the travailing of going to smaller one and two weekend faires all over then working the same faire for 11 weekends in a row at the same location all summer long.

cala
11-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Moptop's suggestion of Armada re-enactment made me giggle, then I remembered Monty Python's re-enactment of the Battle of Pearl Harbor by Mrs. Rita Fairbanks and the Batley Townswomen's Guild.