PDA

View Full Version : E.B.'s entry, Oct. '06

ElectricBadger
10-18-2006, 12:15 AM
The photo is entitled Empires. It encompasses the Place de la Revolution, a spot which is a nexus of many beginnings and endings. It was the location in which Louis XVI was beheaded during the French Revolution. This was a beginning of a new era of freedom and humanism, and the beginning of the end of monarchic tyranny. During the Revolution, it held the famous guillotines -- a rather grisly ending for thousands. It was later renamed the Place de la Concorde during the restoration monarchy, an end to excesses of civil leadership and a new beginning. The obelisk now present as a marker was originally from Luxor, a necropolis from a long vanished empire, and in the background is a triumphal arch, signifying the end of a successful Napoleonic campaign, and the beginning of a new rule in freed territories.

cariad
10-18-2006, 12:59 AM
Wow - how many endings and beginnings is it possible to get into one photo.

An evocative visual and mental image EB - and thanks to for quick trip your picture gives me back along memory lane...

cariad

_ID_
10-18-2006, 01:11 AM
Nice picture...

V/R
ID

Talia
10-18-2006, 04:04 AM
ohhh history lessons....I really hated history in school..but you've made a way for history to be interesting. I love the pic....Good luck.

Talia

dzire2pleeze
10-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Nice pic, EB... good luck.