PDA

View Full Version : The Bus Conductor

moptop
10-26-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm not quite sure what this one is... For those of you who are not old enough/British: double-decker buses, in England at least, always used to have conductors, who sold the tickets, helped you out, told you where you were, made sure the bus stopped for you if you rang to get off, etc. The conductors always seemed to be able to produce a specific ring of the bell, a double tone, short ding-long ding. It's just a memory from child hood, when I was on my own & scared taking the bus, hearing that 'ding ding' was always very reassuring!

Ding ding! Conductor’s here!
You rang, is this your stop?
You just got on, are you sure you want to hop
right off? Is this honestly your stop?
Look, I see you hesitate, you vacillate;
How far are you going? Don’t you know?
Why not stay with us, and go with the flow?
Hang on and enjoy the ride
There’s space on the bottom, there’s space on top,
And there’s plenty of room inside!

You should try to go as far as you can.
Trust me, love, I’m an honest man.
Come on, up you pop, my dear.
I’ll stop if you ask me, never fear.
You only have to ring the bell,
No need to holler, or scream, or yell.
I don’t mind how much noise you make,
And I don’t care how long you take.

Ding ding! Conductor’s here!
You rang, is this your stop?
Are you quite, quite certain now
That this is where you get off?

TheDeSade
10-26-2006, 02:59 PM
Cute! I always enjoy a bit from someones past. Tells a lot about what they remember and what they hold onto from their past.

moptop
10-26-2006, 04:01 PM
Aaah, TDS - now look for a second layer of meaning (if you care to, if you can be bothered).

TheDeSade
10-26-2006, 04:16 PM
ok . . Ill giveit a second read. . . . . . and I will take my time this go around

gagged_Louise
10-26-2006, 07:23 PM
Reminds me of a guy called Alexei Sayle - British comedian involved with the Comic Strip group, and his video for a track he did , 'Ullo John Got A New Motor?!. In the outrageous video he hijacks a doubledecker, runs to the driver's seat and then steers it [with a loose prop steering-wheel that isn't even connected to the gear of the bus) through the rush-hour London traffic, all the while chanting "'Ullo John Got A New Motor?! 'Uh! 'Uh!" (in rampant cockney). Hell of a protest against London Transport. :-)

ElectricBadger
10-26-2006, 08:03 PM
Fun poem, I like it!

moptop
10-27-2006, 03:08 AM
"'Ullo John Got A New Motor?! 'Uh! 'Uh!" (in rampant cockney).
Yes, I just happened to see this again the other day, extremely funny, and an interview with Alexei Sayle - fascinating bloke - very thoughtful sensitive man!

moptop
10-27-2006, 03:08 AM
Fun poem, I like it!

Cheers EB