PDA

View Full Version : That thing that killed the cat

Dragon's muse
10-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Respectfully, can anyone give me a clear understanding of the term "natural dominant"? i have been in the lifestyle for close to 15 years and have not seen the term anywhere but here. No one in my real life circles is able to enlighten me. Thanks ever so much.

muse

_ID_
10-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Natural vs Learned.

The difference being how a person carries them self. At least thats what I was told by some opinionated people.

V/R
ID

Psynymph
10-27-2006, 08:26 PM
am i allowed to be here? hmm whats the worst that can happen? i get punished? *giggles*

not sure if this will help but here goes....

i consider myself a natural submissive because after i learned about bdsm, looking back at certain things in my life i realized that the submission was always there, even before i knew what it was called. it's like....i've always been bisexual. as a pre teen i had more posters of women decorating my walls than guys. as a little girl i thoroughly enjoyed getting captured and tied up in the war games me and my cousins played. to this day, every single job i've ever truly loved involved a immense amount of customer service.

so i think a natural Dom would be something along the same lines. someone who, even as a child, was a leader, someone to take action, give orders, expect to be followed.

although, i don't believe someone can be "taught" to be submissive or Dominant.

phantasy_seeker
10-27-2006, 09:16 PM
Hiya. :) I'm far from being dominant, but here's my take on the subject:

I think, like Psynymph, that a natural dominant is one who has the innate tendency to dominate in them. However, I personally disagree that a natural dominant necessarily has to be a leader in work, etc, or other forms of daily life. In fact, I might go so far as to say that a large number of innate dominants and submissives project entirely opposite images of themselves at work/school. IMHO, the only thing that separates the natural dominant from the learnt, is that the natural dominant, instinctively yearns to dominate his submissive, and instinctively knows how. I agree that the people who never had dominant tendencies before meeting their partner but still meet the two conditions listed above would be a very grey area, but I'd classify them under natural, still. I would consider the (learnt? unnatural?) dominant as someone who doms to try and satisfy his partner's yearnings, instead of from some need within him.

Psynymph
10-27-2006, 09:27 PM
hmm i certainly agree with your last point....about a unnatural dom being someone who isn't doing if for their own pleasures..... that makes sense.

mina
10-28-2006, 02:02 AM
However, I personally disagree that a natural dominant necessarily has to be a leader in work, etc, or other forms of daily life. In fact, I might go so far as to say that a large number of innate dominants and submissives project entirely opposite images of themselves at work/school.

Well whenever I used the term natural dominant in the past, I was thinking along the lines of someone who is mostly always dominant in just about everything they do. Someone who doesn’t have to "get in Dom mode" to do a scene or play with their sub. Basically, a total pimp.

Yeah ignore that last part.

Tojo
10-28-2006, 05:58 AM
I think this is a question for the subbies- I don't even know what a Dom is really!

I does feel pretty damn natural though, for me to play with innocent young ladies....I don't have to work at it, maybe that's it?

Today I just dialled a number, & it kind of just...happened.

Still smiling. :)

You're quite welcome to be here Psynymph- if anyone says otherwise I'll slap them on the wrist.

Tojo

Dragon's muse
10-28-2006, 10:49 AM
Thank you all for your input.

Tojo, i actually seldom see subbies use the term. i see it with Doms describing themselves.

In my little corner of the world, the person who only dominates to please his/her partner is called a service top ~~ although i cannot imagine it without that sadistic gleam of pleasure in Dragon's eye when he turns me into a sobbing, quivering pile of girl goo.

Ozme52
10-28-2006, 11:20 AM
So? Is a man who rises to the top, dominates all he sees and does, is a tremendous business success, a natural dominant?

What if he craves and seeks out a domme/mistress? Does that make him a natural or craving submissive?

So what really makes a dom a natural?

Timberwolf
10-28-2006, 11:20 AM
The idea that a "natural Dominant" is one who is able to behave and command a certain way in "vanilla" environments like work is totally flawed. There are many, many subs who are the ones in charge at work, and are totally comforatable as such.

Ozme52
10-28-2006, 11:22 AM
I've noted a fair number of women who call themselves subs, act as "service tops" to their submissive men. Must be frustrating.

Psynymph
10-28-2006, 11:43 AM
well i mentioned a natural Dom would be someone who was a leader, took charge......i wasn't talking about jobs really.

every great Dom i've ever had the pleasure of meeting always had this aura about Him. His job could consist of anything but He just commanded respect with His attitude. Never having to utter one order.....the respect was just there. i've never had the opportunity to meet a Domme unfortunatly.

*sigh* lol maybe i have no freakin clue what i'm talking about......

thanks Tojo....although i'd perfer being slapped on the hand...or other place ;)

Dragon's muse
10-29-2006, 09:24 AM
The idea that a "natural Dominant" is one who is able to behave and command a certain way in "vanilla" environments like work is totally flawed. There are many, many subs who are the ones in charge at work, and are totally comforatable as such.

There are a good number of people on the charity committees and boards that i am on who would not believe in a million years that i could ever be submissive in any way. They would probably laugh themselves silly at the very idea. They might even think me in terms of being "naturally dominant". Now there's a hoot.

muse

Dragon's muse
10-29-2006, 09:29 AM
I've noted a fair number of women who call themselves subs, act as "service tops" to their submissive men. Must be frustrating.

It is a strange thing about me, i can "top" another woman, IF it is on direct order from Dragon (though i always feel a bit silly doing it). i do not find that frustrating because even in topping i am obeying Him.

At a group a few weeks ago, someone brought up the topic of what a slave would do if ordered to "top" his/her Master. i came to the conclusion that my head would probably explode.

muse

karin
10-29-2006, 09:48 AM
ID just asked me to read this, and voice an opinion. i believe that a 'natural' Dom is just that. naturally dominant. in most, if not all, aspects of His/Her life. further, i believe everyone is either predominantly submissive or dominant. even the 'nillas..they just don't express it as lifestyle involved people do. a Natural Dominant....when/if they explore BDSM D/s can be taught to hone his dominance for his and his submissives mutual pleasure and benefit. (no one knows how to hold a flogger til they are taught, for example) but...having said that, i will also venture to say, just because someone is not a "NATURAL" dominant, does not make them submissive. a non-natural dominant? not sure about that. will have to ponder it. i guess...hm. means someone who 'tries' to be dominant, or is dominant only when the need/desire arises? not sure...*slinks off to think about that some*

Dragon's muse
10-29-2006, 01:47 PM
ID just asked me to read this, and voice an opinion. i believe that a 'natural' Dom is just that. naturally dominant. in most, if not all, aspects of His/Her life. further, i believe everyone is either predominantly submissive or dominant. even the 'nillas..they just don't express it as lifestyle involved people do. a Natural Dominant....when/if they explore BDSM D/s can be taught to hone his dominance for his and his submissives mutual pleasure and benefit. (no one knows how to hold a flogger til they are taught, for example) but...having said that, i will also venture to say, just because someone is not a "NATURAL" dominant, does not make them submissive. a non-natural dominant? not sure about that. will have to ponder it. i guess...hm. means someone who 'tries' to be dominant, or is dominant only when the need/desire arises? not sure...*slinks off to think about that some*

i love it. Much the same thought process i went through before i started this thread.

mina
10-29-2006, 06:06 PM

well i mentioned a natural Dom would be someone who was a leader, took charge......i wasn't talking about jobs really.

Me neither. There ARE people who are dominant in a lot of their day to day activities in the vanilla world, not just talking about "work" here. These people are called control freaks. I know several of them. This is why Master and my uncle don't get along well LOL. Now that's not to say they're total assholes or anything (well... my uncle is an asshole for other reasons lol), but they just naturally assume dominant positions in everything from conversation to playing sports, are basically the "leader" amongst their friends, and usually enjoy being the center of attention.

Now what if someone was like this but preferred to be submissive in sexual situations? I'd still say they had a dominant personality, yeah. So for my own personal use of the term, someone who likes to Dom in a BDSM sense and is dominant in a lot of other ways outside of that, I'd call them a "natural dominant".

MasterBluePrint
10-31-2006, 03:53 PM
I personally believe that it is only the Dom himself that truely knows whether or not he/she is natural as it would be with being a natural submissive. It is a term that I have used before because I feel as though this is how I want to live my life, learning seems a natural process to me when it involves D/s but it doesnt feel natural at all when its Science or Maths ;) Therefore I embraced this lifestyle and find it comfortable living within it, probably why Im a 'natural' Dom and not a scientist or Maths teacher!

BP

(rambled a little and may not make sure but can find it difficult to describe my thoughts)

Mishka
11-02-2006, 08:13 PM

Very frustrating.

I am in control and in charge, by necessity, of everything in my life. When I get into the bedroom I am all about pleasing. He gets off, I get off because he did. There's more to it. I didn't decide to be a submissive, I just have a word for my feelings now. I am capable of dominence, but I don't enjoy it.

I imagine a dominant could feel the same way. The dom/domme needs this, it fulfills them, satisfies them more than anything else. I'm new to all of this, I don't claim to know the mind of a Dominant, but just some thoughts.

master 327-834-200
11-03-2006, 07:57 AM
Surely a natural dominant is one who doesn't shave their naughty bits?

Dragon's muse
11-03-2006, 08:22 AM
Surely a natural dominant is one who doesn't shave their naughty bits?

works for me, even though i prefer to floss after eating:eek:

Havensov
11-03-2006, 08:29 AM
/\Now thats just wrong/\

Ok, my three cents...

I would call myself a natural Dom for a few reasons, some of which stated here. One, even if at my day job i do not control or supervise allot of people, i do control the entire network of computers. I think that control is part of the reason that i went into this field. Two, as stated here in my hobbies i am still very dominant and command allot of respect in the Ren Faire circuit in MI (also, i like to bet he center of attention, but thats for egos sake). Third, even before we adopted a formal D/s relationship with my wife i was still very dominating in bed, and from what i have been told always have been.

But i would like to pose a new question around this. When i am in control of my sword fighting group, or all of he entertainers at a Faire, or even in the bed room i do so..... kindly? Heres what i mean, all of those individuals, as mature as they are, respect me, and follow me not because i bark orders at them or even because of my position in the group. They follow because they want to, because of the way i treat them with respect and never loss my temper and can even make a heated argument seem controlled. Am i making sense?

Ok, so, in my D/s relationship i would consider myself a "soft natural Dom" By this i mean that i do not have to whip my sub into submission (except when though thats what she wants) but she submits because of the way i carry myself, the words that i use, and can control her with the softest touch.

Ok, i think that makes sense.

Ok, so is there a difference between "Soft Dom's" and "Hard Dom's"?

Thoughts?

Timberwolf
11-03-2006, 09:22 AM
"? Heres what i mean, all of those individuals, as mature as they are, respect me, and follow me not because i bark orders at them or even because of my position in the group. They follow because they want to, because of the way i treat them with respect and never loss my temper and can even make a heated argument seem controlled. Am i making sense?

Ok, so, in my D/s relationship i would consider myself a "soft natural Dom" By this i mean that i do not have to whip my sub into submission (except when though thats what she wants) but she submits because of the way i carry myself, the words that i use, and can control her with the softest touch. "

If you ask me, yes, you're making sense. As far as I'm concerned you just described what a leader (or a Dom) should, in my opinion, be able to do.

Uncle_Ed
11-03-2006, 11:19 AM
A Natural Dominant

Negative P2X1 Receptor Due to Deletion of a Single Amino Acid Residue*
Cecile Oury, Emese Toth-Zsamboki§, Chris Van Geet¶, Chantal Thys, Lin Wei, Bernd Nilius, Jos Vermylen**, and Marc F. Hoylaerts
From the Center for Molecular and Vascular Biology and Laboratory of Physiology, University of Leuven, B-3000 Leuven, Belgium

The P2X1 receptor belongs to a family of oligomeric ATP-gated ion channels with intracellular N and C termini and two transmembrane segments separating a large extracellular domain. Here, we describe a naturally occurring dominant negative P2X1 mutant. This mutant lacks one leucine within a stretch of four leucine residues in its second transmembrane domain (TM2) (amino acids 351-354). Confocal microscopy revealed proper plasma membrane localization of the mutant in stably transfected HEK293 cells. Nevertheless, voltage-clamped HEK293 cells expressing mutated P2X1 channels failed to develop an ATP or ADP-induced current. Furthermore, when co-expressed with the wild type receptor in Xenopus oocytes, the mutated protein exhibited a dose-dependent dominant negative effect on the normal ATP or ADP-induced P2X1 channel activity. These data indicate that deletion of a single apolar amino acid residue at the inner border of the P2X1 TM2 generates a nonfunctional channel. The inactive and dominant negative form of the P2X1 receptor may constitute a new tool for the study of the physiological role of this channel in native cells.

Good God guys! It's so obvious...

Timberwolf
11-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Well, that settles that. ;)

cariad
11-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Mutters things about inactive dominant forms, and then muses on how negative dominant forms can be when it comes to sharing of their native jumpers.

cariad

Pet_Amanda
11-03-2006, 11:36 AM
I feel that a good natural Dom is a person whos presencs says it all. My Master has that. All he has to do is look at me in such a way that I know what he wants and when/where he wants it. I also know by a look if I have done something wrong. My Master just has an overwelming presence that scream Dom.