PDA

View Full Version : cariad's entry - October '06

cariad
10-31-2006, 04:17 PM
A few weeks ago I gave someone a lift to their first AA meeting. On the way there he said to me "I have to stop; I am just pouring my life down a drain".

This photo was inspired by that comment. I desperately hope that that evening will have marked the end of his old life and beginning of his new; if not, this photo probably symbolizes the beginning of the end.

cariad

Sir_G
10-31-2006, 05:28 PM
Powerful image there cariad. You are quite the artist my girl.

Also perhaps you might PM me with the outline for what a "project leader" does. See I do read your signature!

Phantome
10-31-2006, 10:14 PM
Cool- what's the red substance? Is it just the nature of the background, or did you make it black and white on purpose? I love the composition; great job as usual!
-Phan

cariad
11-01-2006, 12:54 AM
Cool- what's the red substance? Is it just the nature of the background, or did you make it black and white on purpose? I love the composition; great job as usual!
-Phan

Thank you.

The red stuff, which is symbolic of both red wine and blood, was water, which I had coloured and thickened with cornflour. The drain did not have much colour, although the fallen autumn oak leaves and grass were the crisp brown and fresh green that you might have expected. I decided to kill the colour of the background to remove the visual distraction of these colours and to add potency to the red.

As a point of interest, the ending of this picture is that I am going to print it out and frame it for the friend who was its inspiration.

cariad

Domtotrain
11-01-2006, 06:29 AM
cariad,

You never cease to amaze me. Talented, smart, sexy, passionate, caring, sexy, supportive, inpirational, sexy, playful, intense, and did I mention sexy? Thank you for being you and sharing yourself with us.

DTT

mina
11-01-2006, 11:00 PM
Damn cariad that is inspiring and very cool!!! Master and I love it!

dzire2pleeze
11-02-2006, 12:11 PM
okay.. i popped in here to see what great stuff lined this month's photo contest. I must say, my friend, that your talent is extraordinary! It is not the photograph so much as it is the depth of the photo itself; that which inspired the photograph.

It so dramatically depicts and defines this month's theme....both beginning and end.

Framing it and giving it to the source of your inspiration will, no doubt, hold a long-lasting reminder for this person.

Kudos

Radiance
11-02-2006, 12:34 PM
what kind of camera are you using for that photo? Do you have your own dark room also

cariad
11-02-2006, 03:42 PM
what kind of camera are you using for that photo? Do you have your own dark room also

I use an early sub-pro digital SLR - a canon 300D - so in a way, yes I do have my own dark room - it is called Photoshop.

cariad