PDA

View Full Version : Simple Poll

mkemse
11-04-2006, 09:34 AM
In Light Of All The Negative Advertising and Relentless TV adds in general, here is a poll for all future elctions Mid Term and Genberal
I would appreciate your replies

SheepishJaina
11-04-2006, 12:42 PM
We dont even bother answering the phone right now if the number comes up unknown. It's always another ad for some politician. The amount of advertising is insane. that money could be better spent in so many other places.

mkemse
11-04-2006, 01:32 PM
Thanks for you reply, I fully agree

_ID_
11-04-2006, 01:40 PM
If they were to call me (they don't cause I'm not in the usa). I would probably reply just like I do with the other telemarketers.... "I would love to, but I just got arrested for fucking your daughter" They usually hang up.

ID

lily27
11-04-2006, 02:01 PM
They call you? that's insanity.

In Canada we don't have fixed election dates, so the advertising doesn't start until an election is called. Usually it lasts about six weeks.

There are also limits on how much they can spend, based on how many ridings the party is running in. Also, there is a limit to how much an individual, company, or union can donate to any political party, so that keeps things in hand a little as well.

Of course we also have way more than just two parties. Four parties are currently elected, one more is a national party with no seats, and there are dozens of fringe parties that are good for a laugh.

Personally, I love it all and can't get enough. But I am a political junkie. Elections are like my Super Bowl.

Timberwolf
11-04-2006, 02:33 PM
The American system uses so much money on elections, I find it difficult to concieve of where it all goes. I saw the released numbers from the last presidential race and my eyes just bugged out at it. Granted they have about 9 times the population to reach out to, but even so. Canadian elections are shooting pop guns by comparison... and yet I don't think it's a stretch to say we're getting at least as much info. Or at the very least, less negative adds (I said less. Not none lol).

lily27
11-04-2006, 02:39 PM
We are not making this up. We are not allowed to make things up.

annie
11-04-2006, 07:57 PM
My husband and i were discussing this today...

What we would REALLY like to see with an ad....

WHAT the candidate ACTUALLY stands for and intends to do!

i care about the other candidates dirty laundry... what future they offer is my interest!

As to the calls... i keep count of which party is calling. That sways my vote in the end in some ways. More likely to vote for the party that bugged me the least!... lol.

mkemse
11-04-2006, 08:35 PM
just_annie, thanks for your reply, i am waiting for them to start the advertizesments for the 2008 Presidential election in 2 weeks this gives them 2 1.2 years to annoy everyone :)

_ID_
11-06-2006, 03:21 AM
Found this article that actually pertains to this thread.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/11/5/191647/511

What we're seeing is an apparent coordinated effort from the NRCC -- the House GOP committee -- to place calls that appear to be from the local Democratic candidate and then automatically call the same number back as many as seven or eight times each time the caller hang-ups. If the caller listens to the whole message it goes on to bash the Democratic candidate. But if the caller hangs up prematurely, the computer calls right back. Hang-ups are the achilles heal of robo-calls. So this seems to be an attempt to cover for that weakness by making those who hang up think the Democratic candidate is basically harassing them with phone calls. The GOP wins either way.

tazzinnc
11-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Once you start limiting political ads, then it is easy to start limiting other types of speach you don't want to hear.

This is just another slippery slope.. The ads are annoying but are a byproudct of Free elections.. Like them or not, I'd prefer all the ads they want to run, vs. some limit that someone I don't vote for sets..

mkemse
11-07-2006, 11:59 AM
tazzinnc
thanks for you for honest reply and your time in reading the question