PDA

View Full Version : nipple areola size

zipper
11-10-2003, 02:27 PM
my areola measure 2ins.across nipples are 5/8 of an inch thick and stand out more than 1/2 an inch my boy friend says they are bigger than average is this true?? also can they be made longer?

zip.

BruceBoxer
11-10-2003, 02:46 PM
Well zip, being a nipple connoisseur and having examined nipples from around the world, I'd say applying a rating of above or below average is very difficult to accurate assign. Statistics are lacking in this area. Your measurements sound most appealling though and I'm sure by any gauge, they are above average. I'm awfully curious how and by what metric you determined the "thickness." Are you talking if the actual protruding nipple portion?

Originally posted by zipper
my areola measure 2ins.across nipples are 5/8 of an inch thick and stand out more than 1/2 an inch my boy friend says they are bigger than average is this true?? also can they be made longer?

zip.

BDSM_Tourguide
11-10-2003, 02:50 PM
There should be pictures accompanying zipper's posts. A ruler should be included so we can see about what she is referring.

Think she'll buy it, Bruce? ;)

Seriously, though, nipples come in all shapes and sizes and colors. They can also change size and shape and color to respond to certain of life's circumstances. Pregnancy is a biggie. Breast feeding is another.

Nearly as I can tell, there's not an "average" sized nipple or areola.

MrJerseyGuy
11-11-2003, 12:45 AM
5/8 of an inch thick??? I think someone should break out the clamp...I mean caliper, and verify that!

burger_01
11-12-2003, 04:56 AM
bigger, longer, thicker.. BETTER!
yumm..
Zip, for tips and techniques:
http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=692
http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=625

zipper
11-12-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by BruceBoxer
Well zip, being a nipple connoisseur and having examined nipples from around the world, I'd say applying a rating of above or below average is very difficult to accurate assign. Statistics are lacking in this area. Your measurements sound most appealling though and I'm sure by any gauge, they are above average. I'm awfully curious how and by what metric you determined the "thickness." Are you talking if the actual protruding nipple portion?

yes these are the largest size I can make them when they are warm, I have almost flat areola the thickness was measured at the nipple base they are the same size as the tip of my ring finger so you could say small thimble size.
We found a site I forget the name but it had average body part sizes penis breasts etc. they said the average areola size was 35.6mm 1.4" and the nipple size 6.79mm or bit over 1/4 ins so may be I am above average as my boy friend says???

BruceBoxer
11-12-2003, 05:36 PM
....so may be I am above average as my boy friend says???

Sounds like you are indeed above average--to be sure, I'd need to use my tongue to compare :)

boccaccio2000g
11-16-2003, 12:50 AM

zip.

5/8 of an inch thick??

Are you sure you're not measuring the clothespins instead of the nipple itself?? ;-)

Boccaccio

zipper
11-19-2003, 05:24 PM
Boccaccio I don`t no if you are a female if you are maybe your jealous and have flea bite nipples we do know how to measure we measured when warm I think the areolas may have been a little bigger than 2 inches the nipples at there base were 5/8 of an inch and almost the same at the end, cold well that another size which we havent yet measured?

zip.

e.e. norcod
11-19-2003, 06:59 PM
Speaking from a professional point of view, there are few things that demonstrate greater variability in human anatomy than areolae. I have seen wide areolae on small breasts and small areolae on large breasts and have never seen the rhyme or reason. However, I must state that the ones described herein are on the wide side, although not the largest I have ever seen. I agree with our tourguide that such claims should be substantiated with a photograph together with a reference ruler (which by medical convention should be metric). The proper place for posting is the "Personal Photography" thread.

Incidentally, once post pubertal development is complete, areolar size does not, in my experience, seem to change much with age. There is a tendency with advancing age for the areola to become paler. I have not noticed any particular racial tendencies to areola. Thus, east asians, who do not in general have large breasts, do not invariably have small areolae. The areolar radius or diameter is not recorded down as a standard metric at autopsy so there is no readily accessible data base. Surprisingly (perhaps to a lay audience) measurements that might seem interesting such as breast size or penile size or clitoral length are not considered to be of public health import and are therefore not recorded at autopsy.

BDSM_Tourguide
11-19-2003, 08:45 PM
From my experience, pregnancy seems to cause the areolae to change color and enlarge. Although, this does seem to go away after birth and during breastfeeding.

e.e. norcod
11-20-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by BDSM_Tourguide
From my experience, pregnancy seems to cause the areolae to change color and enlarge. Although, this does seem to go away after birth and during breastfeeding.

Yes the hormonal changes of pregnancy cause a very significant darkening which makes the areolae much more prominent. This is associated with the growth of the glandular portion of the breast in the first trimester. If you notice there is also a darkening of the genital skin. I suppose that this is an effect of progestins on the rate of sectretion of melanin by the melanocytes although I have never seen a single paper on this. Perhaps some day I will look into this. Androgens also inversely influence pigmentation although I have always thought this to be indirect through inhibition of hair growth by DHT.

Although in some women there is significant change in breast size through the menstrual cycle these cyclical hormonal effects appear to be too short term to affect areola size and color. I do not know of any correlation between hormonal levels in populations of women and areola size.

The more I learn about melanocytes and the pilosebaceous unit the less I know.

Faibhar
11-20-2003, 09:17 AM
Can you just imagine having a license to look at nipples?!

Sure, lots of work must first be done first, but as e.e.norcod reports:

there are few things that demonstrate greater variability in human anatomy than areolae
Talk about making the day go by!

And Bruce Boxer cannot be denied his coining(?) of a very good term,
a nipple connoisseur

Other comments are fine as well but two questions do remain...a) What are the bumps-tied to moisturizing during lactation-that surround each individual areola; and b) e.e.norcod, an acknowledged expert in this area, states that,
I have not noticed any particular racial tendencies to areola
Well, what about conical shaped areolae. Do these not necessarily restrict themselves to women of color?

Curtis
11-20-2003, 09:11 PM
I'm sure e.e.norcod will be checking in momentarily to give the definitive answer, but I believe those bumps are caused by the same thing that causes goose bumps (goose flesh). Tiny muscles under the skin tighten and cause hair follicles to become perpendicular to the skin's surface. The skin around the mouth of the follicle puckers and makes little bumps. If there's hair in the follicles, it tries to stand on end.

The evolutionary advantages of this are at least two-fold: If you are an ape and your hair stands on end, you look larger, and therefore more dangerous to predators or rivals, and; if your hair stands on end, it traps air within your pelt and insulates you better from cold than if it lays flat.

I assume that since one of the triggers of milk ejaculation (expression) is the contraction of tiny muscles under the skin of the breast sac (and around the alveolae), some of them must be the same muscles that cause goose bumps.

e.e. norcod
11-21-2003, 07:32 AM
Very good, you are along the right tract. The breast is, in fact, a modified pilosebaceous unit. A pilosebaceous unit is the combination of a hair forming unit (pilo is greek for hair) and sebaceous gland (the tiny gland that secretes lipid and proteins and is the origin for zits). Each pilosebaceous unit has two tiny smooth muscle units that are supposed to assist in the erection of the hair shaft.

Lactation, which is under the control of the peptide hormone prolactin, and to a much lesser extent the large peptide hormone growth hormone has two phases. One is a secretory phase where the secretory cells of the breast make the proteins (lactalbumin and caseins) and fats of milk. The milk is kept in the mammary glandular units because the smooth muscles in the mammary ducts is contracted, holding the milk in. When proper stimulus is applied (e.g. suckling), the smooth muscles relax and the milk (in essence bottled under pressure) can flow out.

All of this, which we still only incompletely understand, is accomplished totally without comprehension by nursing female mammals from a modified hair follicle. Fortuantely, mammary physiologists (who are mostly interested in matters bovine), O.B.s and dermatologists seldom talk with each other. For if we had to rely on scientific understanding to advise mothers on how to nurse everyone would be bottle fed.

Faibhar
11-21-2003, 07:43 AM
Thank you Curtis, though I neglected to ask the name of those bumps. e.e.norcod seems to approve of your fear or flight/hairy ape evolution, but I seem to recall that those 'bumps', whatever they may be called, have a greater service that functions with the mammmary ducts during lactation.
Guess it is back to the books for this ignorant curiousity seeker...

Curtis
11-21-2003, 05:01 PM
So basically, breasts are just big, hairy, pimples? Thank you for that image, norcod.

I think I'm going to rinse my mouth out now.

Mobius
11-21-2003, 06:15 PM
becouse it frankly did not interest me other than I was wondering. Does the areola enlarge when the women is lactating.

(sorry if the question was already asked and answered I skipped ahead)

The reason I am asking was I downloaded some bondage preggo ladys and they all had Huge areola. Frankly the size of a basketball I mean huge. And do they change in apperance?

Curtis
11-21-2003, 09:37 PM
Yeah. That was already covered.

zipper
11-21-2003, 09:40 PM
Thanks Norcod you seem to have a great seen number of nipples you say the areolae are on the large side how about the nipples at 5/8 or 16mm thick and stand proud 13mm seems to me they are twice the average size ??

zip.

vanillaslave
11-21-2003, 10:52 PM
i know someone with a survey you should really fill out. lol.

i was mystified by the questions about nipple length and size of this or that... i was thinking at the time who knows these answers?

other than um zipper here.. are there any other women measuring their nipple length or areola size?

is this something people do?

cause well i am bored but er not THAT bored.

GaryWilcox
11-21-2003, 10:57 PM
I seem to recall measuring my penis for a girl on the phone when I was sixteen.

...from the bottom, not from the top...

:: shudders :: Bah! I will speak no more of this!

Curtis
11-22-2003, 12:21 AM
vanillaslave, women don't HAVE to measure.

That's why Goddess invented men.

Jones, Nikka
11-22-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Vanillaslave
...are there any other women measuring their nipple length or areola size?

No, but I once had a roommate who was obsessed - and I do not exaggerate- about the thickness of her ankles. I mean for crying out loud, I would have given my left nipple to have legs like hers yet she cried and complained everytime she measured her ankles!

Maybe her boyfriend had a foot fetish. WOW! Maybe zipper has an areola fetish. Definitely a live and learn thread, this one.

Mobius
11-22-2003, 09:10 AM
That if men have penis envy than I feel that the woman have nipple envy

Dari
11-22-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Mobius
... That if men have penis envy than I feel that the woman have nipple envy

as a woman I cannot agree with this. I don't know how the women in your life behave, but apart from general envy of other's always better looking bodies I don't think that women particularly envy another's nipples or aureolae. at least I do not. I can only go along with vanillaslave, there are many boring things I'd rather do than measure that particular part of my anatomy.

slavelucy
11-22-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Dari
there are many boring things I'd rather do than measure that particular part of my anatomy.

AMEN to that! ;)

sl

slavelucy
11-22-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Mobius
That if men have penis envy than I feel that the woman have nipple envy

i thought Penis Envy was a psychological condition associated with women towards men...?? As opposed to men towards other men??

i could be wrong tho!

And...if ever started being 'envious' of other women's nipples.....(LOL!), i would phone for the men in white coats myself! *grin*

sl

Curtis
11-22-2003, 10:31 AM
You're right, slavelucy (about the supposed penis envy, at least).

Dari
11-22-2003, 10:56 AM
nevertheless this thread just keeps nagging on me - I hate it when things like that happen. I mean I'll surely not ask if I look anything like normal, as I still don't think that it matters and that there even is a state of normalness considering the sizes of nipples and aureolae, but maybe I'll work up the courage and upload some pics of myself in the corresponding thread, just to make a statement (and overcome my timidness)

Faibhar
11-22-2003, 02:29 PM
Gratitude must be extended that those with micrometers, measuring tapes, etc. have only restricted their samplings here to aureolae and penis sizes. Alternatives make the head spin. There could also have been samplings/measurements/pictures done on cottage cheese thighs and beer bellies...