PDA

View Full Version : Moving Threads

Curtis
11-18-2003, 12:41 PM
As you are all probably aware by now, BDSM_Tourguide is moving some threads around in the Forum in the hopes of having them in more logical locations.

I think this is a very good idea and if I knew it was possible, would have suggested it some time ago. It dovetails nicely with an idea I've been considering.

I would like to suggest adding two new sub-forums. One would be just for the picture threads, which don't seem to fit logically anywhere. The other would be for non-sexually related threads, such as the recent one on relativity and the older political ones (which, since they DO exist, might just as well have their own ghetto, so that they are easier to avoid).

I was among the people who could never figure out where threads such as "The Soldier" really belonged. General Talk seemed to be the least of several evils, but the reception that the relativity thread got there was less than warm.

Since GaryWilcox became moderator of "the bottom of the Forum", it has occured to me that maybe the Forum should really be in three parts, with the bottom and the middle as they are now and the top consisting of three sub-forums: General Talk; Illustrations; and Non-Sex Talk(or whatever -- names aren't my strong suit). Illustrations and Non-Sex would each have a code of conduct separate from, and somewhat stricter than, the overall code of conduct.

Reactions, anyone?

Moggy
11-18-2003, 02:36 PM
Here's a thought... shouldn't the Story Ideas be in the Library (middle) section?

Curtis
11-18-2003, 04:09 PM
I like that. Then you could move "Comments And Suggestions" and "Site Announcements" to the new upper section. Makes everything more logical. Good idea.

Mobius
11-18-2003, 05:01 PM
should some threads have an experation date. Like if there is some thing going on in the world right now that has our attention but will fade from memory in a couple of weeks. Maybe we should set the experation date on some topic threads to a month and at the moderators whim could be extended longer.

That way we could thin the crop as it were. Just an idea

BDSM_Tourguide
11-18-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Mobius
should some threads have an experation date. Like if there is some thing going on in the world right now that has our attention but will fade from memory in a couple of weeks. Maybe we should set the experation date on some topic threads to a month and at the moderators whim could be extended longer.

That way we could thin the crop as it were. Just an idea

They do. have a look at the General Talk thread. You'll understand almost immediately what I mean. I just don't like to remove or delete threads unless I am absolutely sure no one is going to post to them again.

Curtis
11-18-2003, 07:52 PM
Yup. And you never know when someone like me or Kostly is going to go back and resurrect one of them.

Lord Douche
11-18-2003, 08:54 PM
Argh! You're moving these threads around to confuse me, aren't you? :D

Good idea's Curtis. I like the idea of spreading things out from General Talk. My only problem would be that suddenly there's a whole lot more sections to sort through.
Perhaps compressing some of the BDSM Library sections, say Authors Place and Story Feedback. Reading the "outline" of each of these, they're very similar im aim. Perhaps also roll Critic's Circle into it, since I think that's almost the same, and that section itself rarely gets used (35 posts).
Then we will have Site Announcements, Author's Place, Comments and Suggestions, and Other BDSM Stories, then adding another 2 forums as suggested would give the same amount as before.

Just my thoughts, anyway.

Curtis
11-18-2003, 09:53 PM
I like your idea, too. I thought of suggesting merging Critic's Circle, but didn't think eliminating categories would go over well. And you're right that some of the other categories are very similar.

How about this: We title the new top section General talk, then we can have sub-forums of Sex, Non-Sex, Site Announcements, Suggestions And Comments, and Illustrations?

woodsman'sgame
11-19-2003, 03:48 PM
You can move them around all you want, Tourguide. I never remember where the thread I'm looking for is anyway.
I would blame it on senility, but I've been this way all my life.

Thorne
11-19-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by woodsman'sgame
You can move them around all you want, Tourguide. I never remember where the thread I'm looking for is anyway.

Or at least as long as you can remember!

Curtis
11-25-2003, 06:53 PM
I am seeing a big reaction in the "Deleting Threads" thread against the moving of threads. Cases have been made for it (newbies don't know the ropes and by mistake post in the wrong place, so why not move them to the right place?), but many more are against it (Why does the Moderator decide? Why shouldn't threads stay where their originators wanted them?).

Well, I'm here today to support BDSM_Tourguide.

One of the first threads to be moved was a "Happy Birthday" one I put in the Personals. I asked TG why he tought it should be moved. He explained himself. What he said was reasonable. End of the matter. When he works his way down to My BDSM Life, he'll move another one. Even I know it doesn't belong there. I put it there because I had no idea where it belonged and took a stab in the dark.

Even fairly experienced posters can get lazy and start a thread in whatever category they happen to be browsing when inspiration hits. Or, like me, they just make mistakes. Having threads organized systematically, rather than haphazardly, seems to me to be a good thing.

Why use Tourguide's system?

Why not?

A system only works if it's consistently applied. This means there can only be one system. Since Jinn isn't about to set one up and Tourguide has volunteered the enormous time and mental effort required AND HE HAS THE AUTHORITY, it would be unreasonable to use any system but his.

In fact, in the spirit of new categories being established, as suggested above, I propose that there be a New Threads category, where threads would reside for three days or so developing their character, after which time the Super Moderator can determine where they should permanently reside. (I'm still supporting LD's idea of merging similar categories.)

I spent a week in October reading every post in the Forum and I can tell you that this place has grown like Topsey. I believe in the adage "A place for everything, and everything in it's place". TG is trying to put everything in it's place. The previous suggestions in this thread were attempts to provide places for everything, as is Finding_Fantasy's idea of a "Dead Thread Archive".

I'm very happy with the spirit of co-operation and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism that has prevailed in this thread. I hope to read more suggestions.

vinsint
11-25-2003, 07:47 PM
Admining/moderating forums is such a pain, you gotta be into BDSM for it.

* relates *