PDA

View Full Version : Updates or ???

Xue Lan
11-24-2003, 02:06 PM
There are a few new stories posted every so often.

There are a few stories that are real updates, when the writer gets a review and goes back to make her story better.

But it seems to me that most updates are just new chapters, or a way to keep the story name up on the first page of the website so the writer gets more readers.

Maybe there should be a new section for these stories. Call them "serials" or "in progress". That way someone who is looking for a new story to read can find it, and someone who wants to read the next chapter can find that.

Just a thought.

Curtis
11-24-2003, 02:16 PM
I think I see. Then "updates" would be used only for revisions?

Xue Lan
11-25-2003, 08:01 AM
I'm sorry, I did not make my thought more clear.

I find it confusing that there are so many "updates" on this website. Maybe because I am familiar with how one writer works, and he does not put anything forward for publication, in any form, until it is finished. So when he "updates" it is a revision to the original.

I think, if the story is not finished, and the writer wants to post it to see if people like it, then may be it could be called "Chapter stories", or maybe "serials".

That way, there could be "New Stories" which are either finished short stories or finished long stories, and "Chapter Stories" which are unfinished.

Then an update would be an update - a new chapter added, or a change to the original story - and not just a way of keeping the story on the front page.

It might make it easier on Jinn too, that way he would only have to list new stories on the front page, and a heading for Chapter Stories that would link to a list of those stories. Jinn could do "updates" once a week.

Does this make sense?

sm4hg
11-25-2003, 02:55 PM
I think this "in progress" category would be fine. I, for instance, come here to have a look at the "Story list" (sorted by date)first. Stories in progress with a new chapter added don't show up there, unfortunately. So it might happen a story with several chapters gets out of my focus although it would be worth reading.
I guess the front page isn't the right place to list such update-stories.

slave ruthie
11-27-2003, 04:06 PM
i wonder what Jinn wd think - i tend to write new chapters and haveto explain carefully when uploading them where He might post them. if this wd make things easier for the site then i'd be keen to comply :)

love & respect

ruthie[Phil]

XXXXXX;)

EstabanBacca
05-15-2004, 02:37 PM
I write a weekly editorial, which I sometimes find a taxing chore. I usually write an installment to whatever pleasant fiction I have going first. It seems to get the ink flowing more freely. A serial category would be a fine addition.

teamster
05-16-2004, 05:16 AM
As someone who is in the process of submitting a very long story chapter by chapter I find that this is just the only practical way of doing it. If I had to do the whole rewrite at once I'd never get it done. At least this way I get some encouragement and feedback along the way which helps keep me motivated. I guess if Jinn wants to create a special category for such works thats fine although I'm not sure what the problem is with the current system. It seems easy enough to sort out what's what. I have not recieved too many suggestions or demands in the few reviews and emails I have received as a result of my efforts. Mostly they've been pretty flattering. The frustrating thing is that there are so few of them. Out of 35000 readers maybe five or six took the time to respond.

john964
06-05-2004, 06:56 AM
I personaly think they should have a seperate catagory for serial stories

Garmonbozia
06-23-2004, 04:16 PM
I would agree with teamster that if I was to wait for my story to be finished then it would be many years before anyone got the chance to read anything. I am not a professional writer and do not have all day to spend writing. I have only just finished the seventh chapter of my first story and it is 50,000 words. I have plans, rough chapter synopses, for a further 19 chapters and if I write true to form this story will end up being very large.

I find the serialisation of stories is actually my favourite way to read them. I also find the current system to be an effective and easy one to use. The Story Library page lists the details of each story, stating quite clearly if chapters have been added or if it's a new story. I must admit that I don't particularly understand where Xue Lan and others are coming from.

I would also say from my observations the majority of updates each week, and I actually equate 'updates' with possible new chapters for stories I am following, are serial stories. If a new section were to be created for these wouldn't the new story update section become rather bare.

Also as an aside to teamster, I have had quite a good response to my story (maybe 30 different people have emailed me privately) and have even managed to meet some very nice articulate people this way who have shown concern for me and my writing process (and yes badgered me a little when I have been slack in updating - but that simply motivates me more). I seriously need the feedback to know whether I am writing pure drivel or if someone is actually interested in what I am doing. But I do agree that people are a little slack in writing to authors. I have been coming to this site and reading the stories for quite a few years now and it has really only been in the last year that I have begun to write to authors with feedback. I don't know why I was slack for so long, it just seems to be in most people's natures to lurk and enjoy anonymously.

Tiger
06-24-2004, 02:11 PM
When this site was still a small and less popular one, things were much easier. Every week, you only got maybe 20 new and updated stories. Now, I update the site 3 times each week and try to limit the number to around 20 entries. And I still have 40 story submissions waiting for upload. You want to read new stories only, he wants to know if his favorite story has any new chapters added, she may think she just can't catch up with all the new and updated stories. And the authors may want to get their stories listed on the front page more frequently. People have different needs. And it's all about orgnization of the information.

Here is what I will do:
Add a property for the story to indicate if it's finished or in progress.
A new story listing method to tell you which story is recently updated (but they are not new ones. New ones will still be in the "Newest Stories" list).
On the front page, I may indicate if the story is new/complete, or new/in progress, or updated/complete, or updated/still in progress. But I still don't know what's the best way to present this information.

You may not see all of these changes very soon. But they are on my to-do list, and, unfortunately, that list is getting longer every day.

Congratulations to sugeneg for your reader responses. I know authors who don't get that many emails at all. In another thread there is a discussion about if readers should pay to support the authors. But the sad fact is most of the readers don't even want to support the authors by sending a comment email or writing a review on this site. I would like to hear ideas about how to encourage readers to write reviews. But that should be in another discussion.

Garmonbozia
06-24-2004, 11:00 PM
Jinn, I honestly don't see a problem with the current system. This is not an attempt to stop you from changing anything it's just I can't see any problems from the users point of view. Maybe someone needs to point them out to me in a little more detail, am I missing something?

Each story listed on the Update Page states quite clearly what has been added.

Example 1:

[Update] Torture The Widow ( M+/f F/f cbt enema exhibition fisting incest interracial snuff toys WaterSport BDSM real torture nc Extreme violent ) by HarryBerg (Review It!) (add part 18)

This indicates quite clearly that a new chapter has been added and this is clearly a serial story, hence the use of the title [Update] at the beginning of the entry.

Example 2:

[New] Lethal Loving ( F/m BDSM slavery real consensual Extreme ) by M.M. (Review It!)

This clearly indicates it is a new story, hence the use of the title [New] at the beginning of the entry.

I am not trying to be sarcastic or condescending but I honestly cannot see any problems that can arise from the current system. I would not want any more work to be added to Jinn's list. A great job is being done running this site.

On the other topic I don't know how to promote readers to review or contact the author. I'll give it a little think though. Most of the authors on this site are doing a great job and without their unselfish efforts a lot of people would not be coming here (to be honest, yes authors write because they need to so it's not totally unselfish but a lot of effort and anguish goes into writing these stories and this really needs to be recognised).

How about an authors strike. We all promise not to write any more until we start getting responses and reviews :)

I know what kind of responses would be the majority but it's an idea. Erotica authors of the internet unite!!

Jason

Xue Lan
06-25-2004, 12:52 PM
I see someone has opened an old thread started by me. I will explain.

I made the original post because at that time there were more “new chapters” and “revisions” than new stories. I made the post because I think sometimes writers abuse the system and keep adding chapters just so their story stays on the front page. Just like sometimes there are threads posted to say “oh look how good this story is! It should be published!” when readers don’t download it so much any more.

There was trouble at a well known bookstore websites when they asked for people to review books. Some very selfish authors posted hundreds of reviews – all under phoney names – saying how good their work was and tried to stimulate more sales that way.

Here, If you look, you will see how once a story is no longer on the front page, it doesn’t get so many readers anymore, no matter how good it may be.

I said I know how one writer works – my Fox - and he would not post a story chapter by chapter on this website and nothing gets posted until it is finished. That is just him. He has written serials but nothing gets posted or submitted until most of the story is done. That way he does not lose his train of thought.

I am not a writer, but I know how hard writers work at making the stories. I felt for my Fox when his stories slip away while others stay on the front page. It is funny because he does not mind. He says that is the writer’s lot – what is published today is at a garage sale next week, he says.

I was only making a suggestion because at the time I was frustrated that it was all the same old stories on the “new” page for several weeks. Maybe I should have been direct in my thoughts, ya?

I do not speak for anyone but me. This is not my website so I do not make the rules.
Jinn works very very hard on this website.

Thank you Jinn, for all you do.

I apologize to you if my stamping my foot has caused you trouble.

Garmonbozia
06-25-2004, 06:25 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Xue Lan. I guess I am a little naive when it comes to those kinds of tactics. I know a lot of people have big egos but I didn't think too many would go to those measures to get noticed.

I have always searched for the good stories, both here and offline, and I know a lot of other people don't do that and are happy with what is thrust before them but I somehow hoped a lot of other people were like me. I am constantly haunting second hand bookstores for titles I am after - books that have been out of print for twenty years but considered classics by those in the industry.

I must also admit to not checking the date on which posts are made. Maybe I should in future.

Jason