PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Qualified Editor

mkemse
01-14-2007, 10:02 AM
I have just finished a 47 page story, but it needs editing and proof reading before it is posted rather then after like many do
I am looking for a qualified editor who has both the time and interest to do so
I would like to get it done in a reasonable length off time
If you have the time, interest and willingness please pm me back
It is a Maledom story
Thank You:wave:

ElectricBadger
01-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Awesome mkemse, I look forward to seeing it when you're done! I wish I could volunteer to assist, but my time is sadly limited (worked over 60 hours last week).

mkemse
01-19-2007, 07:37 PM
Still looking, it will be awesome once it is done and posted, if it ever does get edited

mkemse
01-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Still looking

graphix
02-10-2007, 07:06 AM
I'll be happy to read over your story. I work at a magazine as a creative director and have had several articles published. I'm not perfect, but I pick up on spelling and grammar mistakes easily, especially if it isn't my work!

Feel free to contact me via PM. Maybe we can work out a system, that works for both of us.

graphix

Faibhar
12-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Why ask for a (professional) editor here when even in r/t editors are widely perceived as being v. subjective?

ElectricBadger
12-12-2007, 01:14 AM
Everyone is subjective, as is "improving" or "good"...a helpful editor is important to give a different and critical view of things, to see a work from a new perspective and give feedback the author wouldn't have thought of herself. This is how we balance our own subjectivity. Beyond this, having done both, I can truly say that editing is a very different skill from writing.

And of course, there's always grammar, which isn't subjective at all.

ThisYouWillDo
12-12-2007, 03:04 AM
And of course, there's always grammar, which isn't subjective at all.

Who/m?
Which/that?
If I were/if I was?
Princess'/princess's?

;)

TYWD

Faibhar
12-13-2007, 05:14 PM
Are we not speaking here of "apples and oranges"? In another setting/venue/whatever there are lurking those with blue pencils :), but here much of the editing should just be restricted to positive criticism.

And yes, I have as well, done "both" and must agree that writing and editing are v. different, (uh-oh...another metaphor/cliche/etc. can it possibly be?),
Birds of a Feather.

ElectricBadger
01-09-2008, 07:35 PM
It all depends, though, on what the writer wants. To me, having my grammar corrected -- politely, of course -- IS positive feedback. I try to deliver it to others the same way, and with the explicit caveat of "This is what I suggest, but do what you feel is right." There have been times I've actually suggested using non-technically-correct grammar, because it fit the style, the character, or simply flowed better. But variance from "correct" should be an artistic expression, not an act of ignorance.

And that's really what it comes down to. Authors own the work, and need to keep it true to themselves, but they should be aware of what they're doing and why.