PDA

View Full Version : A call to authors

Lookielu
11-30-2003, 10:21 PM
I am currently watching (not watching) Eyes wide shut.
The scene where Tom Cruise is at a costume ball is of interest to me. It is at once mildly stimulating and irritating. It is a good setup - almost naked women given "freedom" by wearing masks. Powerful men in masks and robes. But we aren't shown anything really only some lethargic girl on girl groping. I was wondering if one of the gifted authors out there could really make this scene what it was meant to be. Thanks.

icu

BDSM_Tourguide
11-30-2003, 10:50 PM
FF and I saw that movie in the theatre and there was a lot more in that scene than just some groping. There were some BDSM elements, swinging, some threesomes and maybe more. It's been years since we saw it and we only saw it once.

If it's possible, try and pick up an unedited director's cut. Usually the DVD versions have the "never before seen footage" as well.

Lookielu
11-30-2003, 10:55 PM
Thank you - i'll check it out on dvd.
:D

Moggy
12-01-2003, 11:48 AM
This was a seriously flawed movie that I really tried to like. It had lots of 'mood' but no purpose.

The biggest flaw was that this secret society got together in a big house and HAD SEX. That was basically it. It promised 'kink', but didn't deliver. If I missed something meaningful, please could someone explain. Just imagine if it had a great flaggellation scene, or bondage, or a slave auction. What a missed opportunity!

Tree
12-24-2003, 11:27 AM
Eyes Wide Shut was okay, but, as per usual with mainstream American films, was very 'censored' in it's approach. I preferred Baise Moi, eventually banned in this country, but worth a look if you can get the uncut version.

Spitman
01-27-2004, 05:15 AM
For me the most evocative film was Barbarella, which was a great inspiration for fictional work.

I loved the thought of the girl sliding down into the Excessive Pleasure Machine, the part where she was suspended spreadeagled by leather straps, of course the zero gravity striptease, and the sets and costumes generally.

If I was writing a new story I'd much rather base it on Barbarella than Eyes Wide Shut.

Lookielu
01-27-2004, 07:47 AM
Well, you have given me a excellent rental idea!:cool:

HarryBerg01
01-27-2004, 08:59 AM
Who banned "Baise Moi" in the US? Who has the power to ban a movie? I saw it in Cambridge, Mass several years ago. It played to small audiences (French with English subtitles) in major metropolitan areas across the US.

For a film that sets a standard for graphiv sexual violence, there's the more recent "Irreversible" by Gaspar Noe. It's French with English subtitles, incredible violent, largely takes place in a homosexual nightclub called "The Rectum" and includes an 11 minute anal rape scene.

I don't think anybody in the US is banning movies these days. Saudi Arabia bans many films but they are readily available on DVD for the Sauds to watch in private.

Curtis
01-27-2004, 12:09 PM
To the best of my knowledge (at least in New York State), no jurisdiction larger than a village, township or chartered city may ban a movie, and I've never heard of one banning a video or DVD. (Which isn't to say it hasn't happened....)

Kallie Thomas
01-28-2004, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Curtis
To the best of my knowledge (at least in New York State), no jurisdiction larger than a village, township or chartered city may ban a movie, and I've never heard of one banning a video or DVD. (Which isn't to say it hasn't happened....)

I can tell you that, in Utah, movies aren't "banned," per se, but theaters are pressured so heavily by the church and local lawmakers that they "choose" not to carry certain films. Often, ALL theaters "choose" not to carry a film, which is, in effect, a ban. The most recent example is the comedy "Latter Days," about a closeted/sexually confused Mormon Missionary, which was written by the same gentleman who wrote "Sweet Home Alabama."

Another Utah phenomenon is the "Clean Flix" industry (which is currently the focus of a rather major lawsuit)--in a nutshell, these "Clean Flix" businesses take mainstream movies that are rated PG/R/NC17 and clean them up. Take out the sex, the "objectionable" language, etc. And then rent them to the freakish masses who actually think that an R rated film censored down to G is worth seeing.

It's a scary place, Utah. I'm glad I got out before the brain suckers got me.

Kallie

Kallie Thomas
01-28-2004, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by HarryBerg01

I don't think anybody in the US is banning movies these days. Saudi Arabia bans many films but they are readily available on DVD for the Sauds to watch in private.

Unless Saudi has seriously relaxed its customs ordeal in the past ten years, I'd be very wary of trying to bring in a film like "Baise Moi." It may be easier to have a DVD/video shipped into Saudi, but personal experience tells me that customs can and does yank "questionable" material from individual travelers/returning residents--we lost a hefty chunk of our video collection back in '94. Many Saudis "tweak" their satellite dishes in order to get more risque or adult movies (and then tape them), usually broadcast from UAE or Kuwait.

Kallie

leo9
02-29-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Spitman
For me the most evocative film was Barbarella, which was a great inspiration for fictional work.

I loved the thought of the girl sliding down into the Excessive Pleasure Machine, the part where she was suspended spreadeagled by leather straps, of course the zero gravity striptease, and the sets and costumes generally.

Ah yes, foundation of many of my teenage fantasies.

I loved the subtlety of the machine where you didn't see anything happening to her, only her reactions. The extreme limit of that is an occasional fantasy of mine which anyone is welcome to use if they like it:

I picture a box like one of the old-fashioned steam baths, with the occupant's head emerging from a padded hole in the top. There are no other features but a big button in the front, and maybe a dial set to "MAX". And as you approach the box the occupant's eyes go wide with fear and she starts to beg, please, no, no more, I can't bear it... as you reach for the button her head jerks around in hopeless struggles and her pleas become incoherent... you press the button and she screams rackingly, her eyes enormous with horror.

What happens inside the box could be anything from a tickling machine to a meat grinder. It's whatever you would most like to imagine.

lynangel
02-29-2004, 03:17 PM
Barbarella....hubbys fave film. Says it takes him back to his puberty years when he first learned about sex!

If it coloured his view of sex.....then I am glad......its held us in good stead for almost 28 years....and we are still experimenting!!

Lyn

albear
03-09-2004, 04:34 AM
Who banned "Baise Moi" in the US? Who has the power to ban a movie?

Baise Moi was banned in australia. we had the censors shutting down screenings of it. before i got to see it *pouts*