PDA

View Full Version : J is for Japanese bondage / Rope Bondage.

Guest 91108
02-13-2007, 02:19 AM
Ok a topic that may get more comments and actions. Grins.

Japanese bondage
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shibari (しばり, Shibari?) is a Japanese verb that literally means "to tie" or "to bind" it is used in Japan to describe the artful use of twine to tie objects or packages. Kinbaku (緊縛, Kinbaku?) is the word for "bondage" or Kinbaku-bi which means "beautiful bondage". Kinbaku (also Sokubaku) is a Japanese style of sexual bondage or BDSM which involves tying up the bottom (or uke) simple yet visually intricate patterns, usually with several pieces of thin rope (generally 6mm or 8mm). The word Shibari came in to common use in the west at some point in the 1990s to describe the bondage art Kinbaku.

Japanese Bondage is said to differ from Western bondage in that, instead of just immobilizing or restraining the bottom, the bottom gains pleasure from being under the pressure and strain of the ropes, squeezing the breasts or genitals—though there are examples of Western bondages enthusiasts such as John Willie. The main difference is that Western full-body bondage uses long lengths of rope (early on cotton rope, later in the 1980s or 1990s nylon become popular, later still—around 2000—polypropylene became the material of choice) as opposed to Japanese bondage which uses multiple pieces of rope of 7 meters. Japanese bondage as practiced in Japan also uses relatively simple knots (requiring only about two to five types of knots), while western bondage enthusiasts tend to favor more complex knots.

The aesthetics of the bound person's position are also important: in particular, Japanese bondage is notorious for its use of asymmetric positions to heighten the psychological impact of bondage.

Technique
Traditional Kinbaku is based on fairly specific rope patterns, most of them derived from Hojojutsu ties. Of particular importance are the Takate Kote (a type of arm box tie), which forms the basis of most Kinbaku ties, and the Ebi, or "Shrimp", which was originally designed as a torture tie but today makes the bottom vulnerable for more pleasant forms of play.

Generally, traditional Kinbaku is practiced with ropes of 7 meters (23 feet) in length. Due to the generally different physique of Western bottoms, 8 meter (26 feet) ropes are commonly used in the West. The rope material is usually hemp or jute (neither sisal nor manila hemp are usually useful), prepared according to specific techniques to achieve a pleasantly soft yet sturdy rope. Other materials are also sometimes used, although most synthetic ropes tend to be too slippery for Shibari techniques.

For historic reasons, Kinbaku uses very few knots, sometimes none at all, or only a lark's head or an overhand knot. This requires rope with high friction.

your links ( properly posted -- no hotlinking), comments and other posts will be greatly appreciated.

We like looking at the pics that some of our members post.. Let's learn how to do it. grins.

Guest 91108
02-13-2007, 02:25 AM
ok.
couple links i have : (copy paste and remove spaces)

http://w ww.bdsmlibrary. com/forums/showthread .php?p=182149 #post182149
http://w ww.nawashi. com/main. html
http://w ww.ropefashions.com/ index.php

cariad
02-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Has anyone done this? If so how difficult is it to achieve?

cariad

Guest 91108
02-26-2007, 03:42 PM
I'm having a very hard time of it. myself.
learning to make it and make it well enough to be considered an art is very time consuming for me.
Guess that is because I'm still trying to learn how to get the desired effect.

cariad
02-26-2007, 04:07 PM
It looks the sort of thing which would be hard enough to acheive on a statue, but with a real model who may fidget or get cramp...

I guess it is something you build up slowly - perfecting a few ties at a time - but as a sub, I will never have the opportunity. But it is beautiful.

cariad

orchidsoul
02-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Oooh- great topic Wolfscout! I'm a bit partial to rope bondage, particularly Japanese.

It's stunning. I'd love to be able to create the advanced rope work. I only know basic shibari... but I'm in love...It's such an art form, and feels like an art form on my body; which adds so much to the mental and physical feelings.

Don't give up Wolfscout- I'm sure in no time you'll combine art with function well enough. You know what they say... practice makes perfect :)

I think you're right on, Cariad- the build. The perfected ties will become second nature.

The difference I found in tying someone else, was that I didn't know how to reverse it! I had only ever tied myself up.

I'm going to think more on this topic as well.

(I'm on my way to bed and you've got my mind racing now! )

_ID_
02-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Did my second session of rope bondage this past weekend. Was a good time! Though it could look better, I will just have to practice more. Any volunteers?

Flaming_Redhead
02-27-2007, 11:39 AM
*ggls and waves hand wildly in the air* Ooooo me me me me me me me me me me me!!!!!

tessa
02-27-2007, 12:05 PM
I thought the pictures of your work were wonderful, ID. :)

~looks over at Red as she shushes me~

Oh, I mean, well, umm, more practice never hurt anyone. So you need LOTS more practice. Lots and lots more.

~looks back at Red and whispers, "how was that?"~

Flaming_Redhead
02-27-2007, 01:33 PM
Well, ID, it wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good for only your second attempt. I suppose I might be persuaded to help you practice if I can find the time....*sighs*

*whispers to tessa* That was great! You never ever wanna inflate a Dom's ego 'cause before ya know it he'll be walking around with delusions of grandeur, wanting to be called Master or some such ridiculous title and expecting you to kneel before him. *ggls and eye roll*

_ID_
02-27-2007, 04:46 PM
*smiles as images of submissives dancing around in my head... something about delusions of grandeur being called Master and such seem to be there somewhere*

Flaming_Redhead
02-27-2007, 06:30 PM
*snickers*

tessa
02-28-2007, 12:00 PM
~whispers back to Red~ honestly, some Doms just want it all, don't they? The ropes, the whips, the cuffs AND they want a cute little subbie begging for them all while saying, 'please, Master?'

~looks back over at the pictures of Red all trussed up and such, then whipsers really, really low so only she can hear it...that way nothing Dom-ly gets too inflated~ pretty fuckin' fantastic, wasn't it? ~grins~ Yeah, I thought so. ~giggles happily with Red~

Flaming_Redhead
02-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Ain't that the fuckin' truth! ppffftttt

*ggls and nods a lot* Hell yeah!

orchidsoul
03-07-2007, 09:00 AM
hmmm...
*wonders where the piccies are of bound bunnies and throws herself at the opportunity to volunteer*

still surprised this thread isn't getting a bit more play??

I know we have a few bondage threads already, but are there any folks whether beginners or experts at bondage that would like to share any stories/insight/comedy/feelings/teachings/suspension info/techniques/helpful hints, etc?

This is a serious fave topic of mine. Here's a lil comedy of errors story for y'all.
I think it was my third time binding myself and my first time with tweezer clamps and more than one clothes pin :)

I went to the store and bought tweezer clamps. I bound myself with a new style 'bra' someone suggested, as well as a corset through my midsection (with rope) This time, the corset was so tight (probably too tight). I finished off the rope and added another rope to go down between my legs, added my 'buddy' snug and tied and turned on high. Then I added the tweezers. They hurt. Looking back, I also think I put them on the really sadistic way. They hurt so much because the surface depressing into me was the tips.

So now I'm geared up and I realize I forget something downstairs. I put on a sweatshirt, wrap my waist with a towel and proceed to galavant downstairs with a dildo between my legs and chains swinging from my tits. Mind you, I have roommates but felt confident they weren't home. I was hoping.

Back to upstairs, I decide to get fancy and tug on the chain with my teeth. It hurt.. but a good kind, so I do it again. This time one of the tweezers fricken rips off my nip. IT HURT!!!!!!!!! As I go to soothe my nipple, blood is on my finger! Part of my nipple got broke Only the blood really freaked me out. I muster up the courage to put the clips back on and then suddenly have to go the bathroom. Really badly! So I unwrap my bottom thats holding 'buddy' in place, and go do my deed. Luckily my bedroom is right across from the bathroom- I can't fathom what would have happened if anyone caught me bound with a chain hanging!!
I rewrap the bottom and then try to add clothespins around my nips, but had to pull my skin because of the breast bondage taughtness in my breast. Needless to say, by the time I got the fifth around, they started sporatically popping off. It was really funny. So then I rearrange my plan and put only three closer to the nipple- which surprisingly did not hurt like I thought it would (keep this thought in mind later). I tried to tug on the chain at this point but only got half way up. My tits were on fire! Then, the whole reason I went downstairs was because of two Sirs bdays today (originally this was posted on another forum- hence the bdays). What's a bday without candles??? So in go the candles and the wax began dripping on me- which felt unbelievably awesome on my already on fire breasts.

Needless to say, I was already in love with bondage before this messy evening so it didn't change much for me, but it still makes me laugh thinking back.

Guest 91108
03-07-2007, 09:06 AM
i was hoping it would get more response than it has, truly.

orchidsoul
03-07-2007, 09:15 AM
Perhaps there's not that many folks playing around with bondage? *gasping at the mere thought!* hee hee

I think it's a great topic Wolf, and a good attempt to start conversation on bondage.

_ID_
03-07-2007, 10:56 AM
The few times I have done it, it was fun. What I find difficult is to know what knots make up what style of bondage. As far as doing it on a real person, a manikin doesn't compress like a person does. When wrapping the breasts for example. They compress, and push out. Turn colors. A plastic model wouldn't do that. For concerns of safety. Just have a good set of sheers near by that will cut through the rope.

In the attached picture you can see the girl I have bound, her left breast isn't tied as much as the right. Not sure why, but the rope didn't wrap around the left in the same way the right did. The discoloration you see happened inside of 10 minutes of being bound. Now is what I did considered Japanese bondage, or just bondage. Don't know really. Just did it, and had fun.

TomOfSweden
03-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Has anyone done this? If so how difficult is it to achieve?

cariad

Saying that I've done it would be over stating things. Let's just say I found it difficult to achieve. Or as splinter would say, Tom of Sweden is no ninja.

It looked like utter shit and as fast as we started having fun it all fell off :mad:

Jim
03-07-2007, 04:12 PM
as for japanesse rope work .. what in your opinion would be a good first session with a girl not use to japanesse rope work ?? e.g. what is a good tie to start with ..

_ID_
03-07-2007, 05:27 PM
depends on your skill. I wouldn't bind the arms, unless she is ok with being cuffed or something. Also consider the persons range of motion, how limber they are.

Cage
03-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Jim:
For me, the quintessential shibari tie is the shinju. The word "shinju" has something to do with "pearls" -- which in this case refer to the breasts. The shinju tie is a simple chest harness that consists of four turns of rope running above the breasts, four turns running beneath them and then a double length coming over one shoulder from behind, looping around the bottom band and passing back up over the other shoulder. Google turned up pretty decent a tutorial here: http://www.nawashibari.com/techniques/index02.html

It's a great intro because it doesn't really restrain the victim much at all. It just binds her upper arms against her torso. If you just pull the horizontal turns of rope a little snug, it doesn't need to compress the ribcage but it can still serve as a constant reminder that the person is bound.

It's also a great foundation for anchoring the wrists with a box tie, which that tutorial goes on to show. That's one of the least challenging wrist ties there is. The loops around the wrists aren't actually meant to compress the wrists together. They just serve to anchor the wrists at or near the back of the harness so the arms can't be straightened out. Since the upper arms are already bound to her torso, she shouldn't be able to remove her wrists, even if the loops are left loose.

Add a crotchrope and you have a very beginner-level introduction to shibari that incorporates all of the classic elements.

IDCrewDawg:
If you start with the shinju chest harness, it makes a great foundation for further binding of the breasts. It really helps keep the ropes symmetrical even though the human body generally isn't. If you repeat that move that comes over the shoulder and binds the two bands of the shinju together between the breasts, but do it 2x on the outside of each breast, you can a breast-vise effect on the breasts. If you want to run further loops around a breast, you can really compress the breast without the loop trying to roll off the tip just by slipping the rope beneath the bands of the harness, so it will hold the additional loops against the ribs.

Note that it's going to take A LOT more rope than you would probably think. It's been a long time since I prepped my ropes, but I think that a simple shinju will take somewhere around 40' of rope, since you'll want to fold the full length in half so that every loop you make actually consists of 2 thicknesses of rope, laying side-by-side.

Doubling the length of rope over on itself is really key. The resulting loop (called a lark's head) is the starting point for most ties because you can run the rope around the ankles, for example, and then reave the ends of the rope through that lark's head, giving you a sort of slipknot around the ankles to start from. The double runs also help distribute pressure more evenly, preventing painful pinching and unintentional bloodflow constriction. Plus, I find it more aesthetically pleasing.

Note that it will also probably take longer than you'd think. My ex-girlfriend used to complain that it was boring for her. She didn't really appreciate the zen aspect of the whole thing, so at first it was pretty challenging to find ways to hold her interest without prematurely dropping a loop and letting the whole tie go to hell. Subs seem to take a great deal of enjoyment from that.

It's definitely an act of submission for the victim, because it's not the kind of rope bondage where you can pin down a struggling submissive and have her trussed up with a few quick turns of the rope. If she's not in a submissive mood, then you're better off just wrestling her down and going with a quick hogtie until you can convince her to be a little more cooperative.

_ID_
03-08-2007, 04:39 AM
Cage - Thanks for the great post! I will be trying some of these techniques in my next session!

Guest 91108
03-08-2007, 05:58 AM
very nice post and link Cage. thanks for inputing here...

orchidsoul
03-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Great post, Cage.

The Nawashibari site is where I first stumbled upon and learned from- it's a very simple and user friendly site for anyone interested.

fireandice
04-18-2007, 01:49 AM
I know this is fairly old, but I couldn't resist at least commenting a bit on a favorite topic of mine :) I am lucky in the fact that my Dom is very skilled in this area, and while both of us do find it sexual in certain contexts it is so much more than that as well. We have tried several fairly intricate bindings-- it brings to mind a session involving a karada shibari and my hands tied behind my head :p As soon as we get a long enough length of rope, he'd like to do a chokushin fudo ippon shibari on me-- also known as "roasting the pig" .

*giggles*

He is a photographer and usually photographs most of our sessions, but I'd have to ask his permission to post any of them, he can be very shy when it comes to his artwork! For me, being bound is almost like a form of forced meditation if that makes sense. Sometimes, especially if he is still working on a new knot or bind, it can take a long time. When that happens, I've noticed that I start to sort of drift off into a very peaceful state of mind. I am very restless by nature, and it has gotten to the point where if I am really stressed out, I will ask him to tie me up just to get my brain to slow down for once.

He is generous enough to grant me this priviledge-- and also to get me my very own pretty purple rope :)

If you are looking for some good quality rope, here is where we ordered it from:
www.rainbowrope.com

Lots of other fun stuff there as well.