PDA

View Full Version : whats the point in it all?

Mr.J
02-15-2007, 05:54 PM
whats the point in it all?

where am i, what am i , what iam i doing here, what are you doing there, there has to be more to this, or is this it, why do i feel like this is just a big joke and someone forgot the punch line.

TheDeSade
02-15-2007, 06:58 PM
GOd has a sense of humor.. . . obviously

babykat
02-15-2007, 07:46 PM
not sure if i should offer a hug or kick ya in the ass and say get over it. but since i'm new here, i'll extend the hug... :) hope all is well.

Alex Bragi
02-15-2007, 10:10 PM
*Hugs* I ask myself the same things sometimes, but then isn't life too good and too short to waste it on conundrums like this? *ss*

Guest 91108
02-16-2007, 03:22 AM
I'll take a chance at answering D's question with the following quote:

"The American Indian deplores arguing over "The exactness" of attempted description of the great power that Created All. As many holy ones have advised me. " It is a Mystery, leave it at that; no one can describe such a vast mystery."
North American Indians beleived that there is a limit to the human brain, at least while a person lives upon this planet. There may be some higher answers in the spirit world where it is beleived our spirit travels, but to probe and argue with one another in this lifetime is considered utterly foolish and quite nonspiritual. " .........
"When a proselytizer approaches a traditional Indian and attempts to tell the indian that he or she has the only key to the spirit world beyond and that the Great Mystery can be explained as such and such, usually with hell-fire and damnation thrown in, the Indian at first feels a sense of pity for the proselytizer; in the end , the Indian regards such a one as ignorant. " ...

There are no answers specifically. Just Be.

violet girl{MM}
02-16-2007, 08:23 AM
To quote some woman on TV i saw this week:
It is what it is....

And to quote my grandmother:
Life is life...

Heeheh! ;)

TomOfSweden
02-16-2007, 09:25 AM
*my brain just exploded*

No idea, but in the meantime I'm going to put as much effort as I can to flood my system with endorphins, dopamin, serotonin and oxytocin without going bonkers. It might not be the purpose of life, but it's fun.

Dragon's muse
02-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Best answer i can come up with is taken from the theme song from the movie Norma Rae

It goes like it goes, like a river it flows.
Time keeps rolling along.
And maybe what's good gets a little bit better.
And maybe what's bad gets gone.

Rhabbi
02-16-2007, 12:27 PM
whats the point in it all?

I know that there are those who would disagree with me here, but we all have a purpose. That purpose is a bit complicated to explain, espaecially in a single post.

We are in a battle. People have heard that before from those, like me, who are Christians. I have come to the conclusion that this is simplistic and does not cover the truth.

We are not in a battle, we are the battlefield. Each day of our lives we are faced with a decision between two things that bring blessings and curses, life and death

This choice actually affects us in our daily life, as well as our eternal one. Part of the reason we somtimes wonder why we are here and what the point of everything is that we can percieve this battle. I am not trying to be meta-physical here, but the languge to explain this doesa not exist outside meta-physics.

When the battle becomes particularly intense we can sometimes sense it. We than wonder why we are feeling the way you are.

I wonder, if we could truly see the state of our lives in a spiritual sense, what would we see? Imagine what a battlefield looks like after a battle here on earth. We have all seen this in movies, or even the evening news.

So, what makes the battle more intense from time to time? The Bible tells us 2 things, that no one can come to the Father unless the Father draws him, and that God does wish that any should perish, but that all come to eternal life, we can see that there is always a drawing from Jehovah God to bring us into an awareness of Him and the saving grace of His Son.

A side note here, the word draw in the Greek implies work on the part of the person doing the drawing. It is the same word that is used in the context of a fisherman pulling in his catch, or drawing up his net. This is a struggle on the part of Jehovah God, not because it is hard for Him to draw us away from sin, but because we are so ready to dive pack into the water, no matter how dirty it might be.

floffe
02-16-2007, 01:11 PM
*my brain just exploded*

No idea, but in the meantime I'm going to put as much effort as I can to flood my system with endorphins, dopamin, serotonin and oxytocin without going bonkers. It might not be the purpose of life, but it's fun.

That kinda seems like the best suggestion Ive read regarding this subject...

Mr.J
02-16-2007, 07:04 PM
I think that gods, got a sick sense of humor, and when I die, I expect to find him laughing

slaveangel{HM}
02-16-2007, 07:17 PM
I believe the more you think about it the more it goes round in your head until you realise that there is no real solution.

Live your life as if each day were your last, and be thankful that you are able to wake up and greet a new day. As far as is there anything more to this...well...perhaps there isn't. You live for the next generation to come through, make your own life better, be successful in your abilities and your life. And don't take crap from anyone, it is your life, those who try to run it for you aren't worth it...in the long run.

Amberxiao
02-17-2007, 12:31 PM
I'll take a chance at answering D's question with the following quote:

"The American Indian deplores arguing over "The exactness" of attempted description of the great power that Created All. As many holy ones have advised me. " It is a Mystery, leave it at that; no one can describe such a vast mystery."
North American Indians beleived that there is a limit to the human brain, at least while a person lives upon this planet. There may be some higher answers in the spirit world where it is beleived our spirit travels, but to probe and argue with one another in this lifetime is considered utterly foolish and quite nonspiritual. " .........
"When a proselytizer approaches a traditional Indian and attempts to tell the indian that he or she has the only key to the spirit world beyond and that the Great Mystery can be explained as such and such, usually with hell-fire and damnation thrown in, the Indian at first feels a sense of pity for the proselytizer; in the end , the Indian regards such a one as ignorant. " ...

There are no answers specifically. Just Be.

That's neat. I disagree about probing and arguing, since I think we can get *some* more knowledge that way, and if nothing else, learn something about the person we're talking to (for example, I know a lot more about TomofSweden than I did before entering into dialogue with him on religion). But I also agree that we can't know everything and that it's a Mystery.
I also think we all have a different key to reality that we alone can use, and that won't work for anyone else.

In other words, what it is to me will not work for anyone else. Good luck in finding yourself :)

Rhabbi
02-17-2007, 01:47 PM
GOd has a sense of humor.. . . obviously

He does, otherwise He would have wiped us out and started over.

Seriously, how can we not believe that the univers was created by someone with some type of sense of humor, we can laugh at it, so can he.

WyldWyl
04-18-2007, 12:48 AM
My theory is that there is no higher or over-arching purpose to this existence. Now, before I get called a nihilist, I'd like to say that I actually find this to be a reason for hope rather than despair. Simply because, if there is no grand purpose, no ultimate reward or final punishment for our actions, then what we do is all that matters. So the only real way to go is to do what you think right and see how it works out in the end.

By do what you think is right, obviously, I don't think things like genocide/rape/child-abuse/etc are a good idea and should probably be avoided even if you do think they're right, but the lack of that higher purpose makes the deeds we do on earth all the more important.