PDA

View Full Version : Conrad Black Guilty or Not?

cadence
03-12-2007, 04:39 PM
I am sure everyone knows of Conrad Black and his now upon us trial.
I am wondering for those who have followed his story, do you think he is guilty or not?
I myself think he is guilty, just because of his extreme arrogance and the fact that he ordered T-shirts that proclaim "Conrad Will Win" from a woman who manufactured joke shirts that claimed "Free Conrad".
If he can explain his and his wife's spending habits and where the money came from, well then I may be persuaded to acknowledge his non guilty side.
Any other thoughts?

nk_lion
03-12-2007, 04:42 PM
guilty, but im just biased cause he gave up his canadian citizenship.
but to be honest, i have no clue.

Guest 91108
03-12-2007, 05:00 PM
why does it matter where he got his money and where it went ?
I know they do the same sorts of things here when a politican or public figure gets muddied... just curious.

cadence
03-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Wolfscout
why does it matter where he got his money and where it went ?
I know they do the same sorts of things here when a politican or public figure gets muddied... just curious.

Politicians steal money off of people who are forced to pay.

People like Conrad Black steal off of shareholders..... people who invest thier hard earned money and entrust Mr. Black and his companies to make money for them. Not to aimlessly steal from them.

I am a shareholder for a few large companies, and not any of Conrad Black's

I would be rather pissed if my stock went down, because of allegations such as the ones directed at Mr. Black.

These are my own opinions.

lily27
03-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Oh my God, are we actually discussing Canadian current events?

Black only gave up his citizenship because Jean Chretien wouldn't allow him to accept the title Lord from England as a Canadian. He often said he wished he could have both, but refused to pass up the honour because of the Liberal Prime Minister's pettiness (in the past, others have been allowed to accept British titles as Canadians... being a Commonwealth country and all).

He is also working at getting it back, for what it is worth.

cadence
03-12-2007, 08:25 PM
nk_8950
guilty, but im just biased cause he gave up his canadian citizenship.
but to be honest, i have no clue.

lily27
He is also working at getting it back, for what it is worth.

Applying for the Canadian Citizenship would allow the arrogant Lord Black of Pompousville to apply to have his upcoming jailtime sentence served in a Canadian Dentention Centre instead of an American jail, where he would be surrounded by common criminals. The Canadian Justice system is far more lenient than the American one.
By the way this is my B/f's opinion on this subject, he is very vocal about it and may be very adamant on his stance. I do agree with him, but cannot logically argue as effectively as he can. And then again he can be very vocal about his standing, so do not take any offense in this post, as it is his.

I agree with him, but acting as his secretary, I did post this question first, but have asked for help in the reasonings behind it. I can't quite clarify what i want to say at times.

lily27
03-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Applying for the Canadian Citizenship would allow the arrogant Lord Black of Pompousville...

I can tell that this is clearly going to be an unbiased debate.

...to apply to have his upcoming jailtime sentence...

Umm... didn't his trial just start? Can your boyfriend see into the future? What sentence has he been handed down?

...served in a Canadian Dentention Centre instead of an American jail, where he would be surrounded by common criminals.

Who do you think we put in Canadian jails? If not common criminals then..... ??

The Canadian Justice system is far more lenient than the American one.

OK, this part I will give you. The Ontario Securities Commission is a joke.

However, according to your theory, Mr. Black is going to apply to serve his sentence that he is going to be given in an American courtroom, in Canada. Even if this were to occur, he would still serve the same amount of time, as it would be an American sentence.

If you think our prisons are a piece of cake, I would suggest you spend some time in Kingston Penn. Granted, it isn't as harsh as the maximum security prisons in the U.S., but anyone convicted of white-collar crimes would never serve time there anyway.

By the way this is my B/f's opinion on this subject, he is very vocal about it and may be very adamant on his stance. I do agree with him, but cannot logically argue as effectively as he can.

I wouldn't call this arguement logical.

And then again he can be very vocal about his standing, so do not take any offense in this post, as it is his.

I am not offended. I just enjoy debate.

cadence
03-12-2007, 09:18 PM
I doubt you will get a good debate on this.
He used to be a journalist, but I think his logical and critical thinking are sometimes skewed a bit.

mkemse
03-13-2007, 06:27 AM
I hope they hang his but and find him guilty, it is CEO's lie him who make other CEOO's of other Major Coroporation loo over their shoulder even if they are not guilty
To me there is nothing worse the a Person with all the money in the world who is arrogant
Ever meet a Mutilti Milloinaire pr Bilioniare who was not egotistical?
I know someone who is extrememely well to do, owns their own company is wirth milloins upon millions, but they drive a Toyota, I once asked him why, he replied 'Because I have all the money I do, i do not need to flaunt it"

mkemse
03-13-2007, 06:28 AM
Also, he used to own the Chicago Sun-Times and his action almost cost the paper it very exisitance

cadence
03-13-2007, 03:31 PM
I am not offended. I just enjoy debate.

Actually I don't think you will get a debate from him, he made some sweeping generalizations on his part, because he feels that Mr. Black will go to jail, and basically should go to jail.

Using the term "common criminals", was out of context, he was trying to say that you don't have the luxury of choosing your prison in The States, and I don't think that you are allowed to segregate yourself in the general population. And face it Black is facing at least 101 years of jail time. In Canada, I am pretty sure that Black would be able to find a prison worthy of his stature. But then again I don't know, I haven't been to jail.

When he gave up his citizenship he did say that he had long outgrown Canada anyway.
Black is only applying for Canadian Citizenship because he has an agenda.
He is trying to curry favour with Canadians, and if and when he is convicted, he will have the support of Canadians on his side.
Black is basically an outcast in Britain, and not very well known in the States.
*Which also makes me wonder why I even posted this question. I just wanted to know what others thought about Black, but probably most here know little about him or don't care.*

Anyway that is the jest I get from what my b/f was trying to say the first time. I would ask him but I won't see him until Friday anyway.