PDA

View Full Version : On writing, first asignment by Satan_Klaus

Satan_Klaus
05-01-2007, 08:32 AM
First of, hello all!

Rose kicked me upstairs, and here I am, your average literate pervert.
Satan_Klaus at your service.

And here is my first asignment:

On writing

On “How can I become a better writer”

I wholeheartedly agree that writers’ talents vary. I see it every time I read a story and am awed by the complete and compelling descriptions only to stumble over logical faults and weaknesses in character consistency. Obviously, my strengths and weaknesses are diametric to the things I notice as great or as lacking in a given story.
It stands to reason, as Rabbit1 does, that one has to get rid of one’s weaknesses to become a great writer. However, to become a good writer it may be enough to emphasize one’s strengths and downplay one’s weaknesses. I’m trying to improve where I am lacking but when writing a story that I consider a good work, I realize that I did the later.

I usually do the outlining in my head, envisioning the leading characters and part of the plot for several days before I start writing. I am what Rabbit1 considers lucky. There are always several stories left unwritten, abandoned for others that popped into my head later. I think I’m rather good at mental outlining but there are limits. In a long story, I can’t keep all the action consistent in my head, yet I start writing. Later, I might have to do some revising. I guess I could improve on that by a written outline but if I take too long before starting to actually write, I lose interest in the story because I can no longer envision it before me.

Editing is usually not a problem for me. If I have not read every paragraph several times it is not finished, if I have not read the entire story several times it is not finished. So I reread everything several times when writing and again before considering it done. That also helps eliminating the translation problems that may sneak their way into my story (I’m speaking/writing English as a second language).

On “More general writing tips”

On characterization

I’m usually able to envision all main character’s personalities, goals and whereabouts but I do keep a digital ‘cheat sheet’ with small details like hair and eye color and so forth.

On dialogue

I think that dialogue is a question of style. I’m currently experimenting with a number of styles and in some, dialogue comes easy and natural, in others, it’s painful to do right.

On conflict

Almost all my stories center on conflict, internal and external and I think it’s one of my strengths to make the reader feel the struggle of my characters. And yes, I like my characters flawed.

On Scene and Sequel

I have never thought about that. My stories are driven by my characters. As I said before, I have no written plot outline and the usual way to advance the storyline is by having my characters react to what has happened before. They have a personality and they use it. This may easily back my writing into a corner as I lose control over my characters but it makes them very natural. The scene and sequel thing comes naturally in my writing style, sometimes at the price of general plot direction.

Satan_Klaus

Aussiegirl1
05-02-2007, 06:15 AM
Thanks Satan_Klaus,

I can relate to your comment on writing the story in your head! I do that all the time, often going to sleep thinking about the characters and then adding that bit onto my story the next day. I too have lots of stories I have started and not finished.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reflect on the articles, I do hope they provided some helpful hints for you to use. You can begin work on assignment two as soon as you like.

Have fun
Aussiegirl