PDA

View Full Version : Questions on collars

usafmedic22
05-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Sir and I were talking about collars last night, and our views on their meaning and significance. Since I am very new to the lifestyle, I am interested in hearing the opinion of others, in all roles. I am going to attempt to explain my views, but please keep in mind that I am very new, and I am not trying to offend anyone or step on anyone’s toes, I’m just tossing it out there to try and help clear up any misconceptions that I have. (And forgive me for rambling)

One of the major hang ups that I’ve had recently is the submissive versus slave debate. Many things that I’ve been told/read about slaves does not appeal to me at all. I guess one of the biggest questions that I need opinions on is What is the difference between a slave and a collared submissive? To me, there’s a big difference. It seems to me that slaves give up much of their individuality, and their independent thought; that their entire worth is dependent on their Dom(me). IMO, a collared submissive retains her individuality, and is much happier collared by their Dom(me) than they would be alone, but does not lose any of their worth in being alone. Another major distinction to me is the idea of a slave being her Master’s property. That makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, as I wouldn’t take kindly to being told I’m property of someone else. It bothers me because I feel that it reduces me to an inanimate object. I understand that some submissives/slaves enjoy that feeling, but I myself do not. Here’s another example of my view of the differences. I have been told that a slave is very restricted in what they do/say. Things like using the bathroom, etc, have to be requested. I can understand if my Sir and I were at a party, or in conversation, I would certainly ask if he’d mind excusing me for a minute. But if we were just alone in the house or something, I’d probably let him know I’d be right back, but I wouldn’t necessarily ask permission to go to the bathroom. Forgive me, but if I have to go I have to go….lol.

Sir and I are in agreement that a collar is a serious commitment, and has far reaching implications. What those exact implications are, and how far it reaches into the relationship, I’m still unclear on. Overall, I guess I really have two questions that I’m trying to answer…

What is the difference between a collared submissive and a slave?

What changes when a submissive is collared by his/her Dom(me)?

Again, forgive my rambling, and thank you in advance for your help.

medic

wingsofanangel
05-14-2007, 08:33 PM
to be honest I think that it really depends upon the Dom and sub. For every couple those terms could mean something different. I tend to believe very closely as you do. But some may take a lighter meaning to the word slave...or even for it to mean the same thing as a sub.

I think really the only way to discover what it means is to have it applied towards you and find out how it makes you feel, what the implications are, how its effects you and your Dom.

I like the term submissive better than slave, however there are times I enjoy being called a slave. As a submissive, there are many ways in which you are a slave to your Master. Does this have to be negative? No, not at all. People can be slaves to.... music... hobbies... food.. etc. Why not a person? Its does not have to suggest an unwanted servitude, only if thats what you and your Dom decide thats what it means for you.

As far as being collared vs. uncollared... nothing -really- changes.... many things stay the same. BUT.. things like trust, bonds, love, can grow. Often times this is when a D/s choose to focus on one another and no longer play with others (unless it is an open relationship)..... more terms may be agreed upon, more training, greater tasks and expectations. BUT with all of that comes much more loyalty, trust, love, etc... you become closer.

Its similiar to the change of dating to marriage. Nothing realllllly changes, the changes are small, but signifigant, meaningful..

Thats what it all means to me anyway.

I would suggest you find out what being a sub and a slave truely mean to you.. without the stereotypes that accompany them, because all things in this lifestyle can be tailored to fit you and your needs with the help of a crafty Dom.

So don't settle on one thing.. describe what you want and need and go from there.. then you will find your place.

I hope that helps.. :/

anya

MajesticFae
05-14-2007, 09:29 PM
I agree with wings.

TomOfSweden
05-15-2007, 01:12 AM
The collar is a symbol, and as with all symbols we can charge it with what ever we like.

My slave has a dog collar which off-course is because the collar is associated with her being like my dog. Obedient and grateful no matter how harshly I treat and discipline her. And above all, we do love our pets don't we?

The difference is up to you. In a relationship it's the two participants who make the rules.

When my slave got her collar it was like an engagement ring. Very powerful, but nothing changed. We didn't behave any differently and our commitment to each other was the same.

Eponine
05-15-2007, 01:45 AM
Hi USA-

I think Wings and Fae and Tom are right- it is just exactly what you and your Sir decide it all is.

But I did want to comment on the slave/ submissive debate...

It's funny, b/c before I ever knew there was a BDSM community, I always dreamed of being somebody's slave (man or woman)- always using that word to myself.

Then, I discovered all this online stuff (around ..22 or so), and got the impression "slave" was a 4-letter-word, so I switched to "submissive", though I never really liked it. But I had understood from many people a slave has no rights, etc... and is the other things you described... which seems to mean that they will allow themselves to be abused.

But I think that's where there's a misconception. A slave does not have to have an abusive Master (or Mistress).

So now, recently, I've met a man who shares all the original thoughts and feelings I had discovered in myself at a very young age, but had to stuff away because I thought it was impossible to be someone's slave.

So I just wanted to share with you my Master's, my sister's, and my view of being a slave-
no, technically we do not have any "rights"- we have given them to Him (and honestly I am still learning, it's a process, though it feels good, it doesn't always come easily, having had to learn survival skills in this world).

But He does not, and I believe will never, abuse that gift. People debate about service being a need or a gift... bla bla, well, yes it's a need I have, but it's still a gift because I will not be just anybody's slave. And it is a gift for Him to be my Master too, of course.

"It seems to me that slaves give up much of their individuality, and their independent thought; that their entire worth is dependent on their Dom(me)."

I have struggled with this concept myself, but so far ( in the very short time it's been), Master didn't just pick anyone to be his inanimate collared property... no, He picked me because He likes my personality and individuality...
Though, if you mean, lose your individuality as in being a separate unit- that's true, but that's so in a marriage... and I don't want to be separate from Him... but it doesn't mean He doesn't hear and encourage and appreciate my own opinions on things, for me to critically think and give input on situations...

About my worth being dependent on Him... well, after 31 years, if I finally found someone to make me feel incredibly valuable, so be it. Even if it's not exactly acceptable in our society, the truth is I wasn't getting it on my own, no matter what I tried.

"I have been told that a slave is very restricted in what they do/say. Things like using the bathroom, etc, have to be requested."

This is totally up to the individual Master/ Mistress. And it could be so with a Dom/ sub as well. But, no in my case, generally, joie and I speak freely- as I said, Master welcomes our opinions anyway. But we just must be respectful- as in I couldn't/ wouldn't sit there and argue and raise my voice (again, a learning process for me now... lol.. yes, mari, mari is quite contrary at times lol), etc...

Sometimes, I think, even if I were a vanilla girl, I would wholeheartedly want to be this man's slave, just to be with Him, because He is so wonderful.

Anyway, I'm sure I rambled as well- it's 4:00 in the morning, and I'm woken up by a roommate clanking around dishes...

But, I just wanted to give my view on it that I don't believe slaves, being property without rights, are or should be treated as inanimate, abused, or lacking individuality. I think that's the Master or Mistress's problem, then, and I wouldn't consider them true Masters or Mistresses if they don't know how to treat a person who is willing to do whatever they wanted and give up their whole lives to them.

I am just so tearfully lucky that I met the man I did. He really is a master, my Master... and I couldn't imagine giving any less to Him. And I wouldn't want Him to want any less than everything I could possibly give Him...

Wow... i hope this makes some kind of sense.. .lol.

I may have gone off on a tangent, I apologize.. but I had been thinking recently about this slave/ sub debate and wanted to ask some questions, post some two cents.

Either way, USA, good luck with your collaring (as Wings said, that's just like getting married, it's still the same relationship, hopefully with a foundation to keep growing stronger) and your relationship! Congrats as well!

Warbaby1943
05-15-2007, 03:15 AM
Talk it over between the two of you and as everyone else has said make it fit what you need. Give up only the control you feel comfortable giving up. If anything is forced from or on you you could end up resenting the relationship.

What I find most rewarding is being able to talk things over before, after, or even during any activities. As long as you both are happy with what you decide it will work out fine for you.

A collar is what you want it to be and what you want it to mean. Ours is a ring and it means commitment to each other in all we can commit from what our lives allow.

I won't get into the slave vs. submissive debate except to say I personally don't like the term slave.

annie
05-15-2007, 05:05 AM
The term slave it just that a term... just as submissive is no more then a term.

i know "subs" who are actually slaves (from my perspective) and "slaves" who make me question at times if they are even subs because of how much freedom (one again from my perspective) they are given. The term that fits best for your relationship is what is important, nothing more. Just as the rules established by your relationship is what is important.

i do need to say that "slaves" do not become inanimate objects, give up much of their individuality, and their independent thought or have their entire worth is dependent on their Dom(me). That may be the "impression" that is given but 99.9% of the "slaves" i know still have themselves and make the choice, in all things, to follow the lead of their Dominate. i personally think that makes them understand their entire worth more so. Because of the training, dedication and commitment needed to give that type of free service. And yes, i am a firm believe that even a slave is giving their services freely... if they didn't want to be a slave for that Dom/me, they wouldn't be there.

The slave/sub debate is an old one and as everyone knows just a matter of definition which needs to be worked out in advance with one's Dominate.

As to the collar... it is a symbol. Just like a wedding ring and means a higher level of commitment, trust, etc. But, once again, it is what each couple views the symbol. i know some who believe in velcro collars, which can be easily removed when the next "more interesting" person comes along and some who believe in the permanent collar, that will never be removed. It is what works for each person/couple in a relationship, as long as no one is hurt unnecessarily, etc. and enters the relationship with a full understanding of what the collar means.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Flaming_Redhead
05-15-2007, 02:24 PM

These definitions were obtained from Wikipedia. I hope this helps to alleviate your misgivings. It can be hard to come to terms with your innermost desires versus what your brain tells you is "right." The great thing about having a mind of your own is that you can assimilate the information people give you and either accept it or reject it depending on what works best for YOU.

A submissive is one who enjoys having any of a variety of BDSM practices performed upon them by a dominant; or one who holds a submissive position within a relationship based upon dominance and submission (D/s). This enjoyment can spring from a simple desire for submission or an enjoyment of the interplay of wills involved in such a scenario. A submissive is also referred to as a "sub", where the dominant in a D/s relationship is the 'Dom.'

The main difference between a submissive and a bottom is that the submissive ostensibly does not give instructions, although they do set limits on what the Dominant can do.

There are also indications that submissives substantially outnumber Dominants[citation needed], in both males and females. Professional Dominants provide stimulatory services (which may or may not include sex) for those unable to find a compatible partner for this activity.

There are some indications that preference in D/s activities follows a 'compensatory' pattern[citation needed], with people who have much power and responsibility in real life often preferring a submissive role; no hard scientific data to either confirm or reject this hypothesis seem to exist, however.

In many BDSM communities, there is a distinction between a submissive and a slave. In this context, a slave's goal is surrender and obedience. In contrast, a submissive tends to expect some gratification in return for his or her submission.

Slave is a term often used in BDSM to connote a specific form of submissive. A sexual roleplay or consensual slave could also be a masochist or bottom, but this is not always the case.

Connotatively it refers to highly committed domination and submission (commonly abbreviated as D/s) relationships, as a person who has surrendered their personal property and freedoms to another, who has become the property or chattel of their owner(s). This term is widely used, as it has a certain self-affirming weight.

Some practitioners feel the difference between submissive and slave is the degree of submission. However, many who are involved in Master/slave relationships see the difference as one in kind, not in degree. In particular, some slaves do not have a naturally submissive personality, but simply choose to surrender their will and volition to another.

It should be noted that the Owner/slave relationship is entered into on a strictly consensual basis, without the legal force of historical or modern non-consensual slavery. It is also worth mentioning that the laws of most countries (for example the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution) strictly forbid the practice of slavery.

Various forms of symbolism are sometimes used to affirm the Owner/slave relationship, such as wearing the owner's collar, being registered in a slave register, adopting (sometimes legally changing to) a name chosen by the owner, or engaging in a public declaration or ritualized ceremony of some type. Some people draw up a slave contract that defines the relationship in explicit detail, but these have no legal weight and are therefore not intended to be used in any court of law.

In some traditional rituals, after signing a slave contract, many people celebrate the commitment to the relationship with a collaring ceremony, which can be simple or elaborate and friends are usually invited. The slave then wears a collar, which symbolizes their status. The collar may be an actual piece of neckwear, or may be a bracelet or other piece of jewellery that symbolizes their slavery. These collars are generally never removed unless or until the relationship is dissolved, although some slaves exchange a formal collar for a more subdued (or less obtrusive) one in work and vanilla situations.

There is considerable debate over the exact definition of the word "slave" as it pertains to BDSM. Many people believe that you are a slave if you consider yourself one, whilst others believe one must be in the emotional state of Total Power Exchange or Internal Enslavement for the term to apply.

There are differences of opinion about whether one needs to be currently owned to be identified as a slave. Many in the Mistress/Master-slave community do not feel that ownership is a requirement.

That's like asking, "What changes when one gets married?" Nothing....everything. *smiles* Hopefully, the relationship will continue to develop as trust and respect for each other grows, allowing you to explore your desires, fulfill your fantasies and live a life you have only dreamed of....one where you are free to be yourself and encouraged to be totally honest. One in which you are regarded in the highest esteem by your dominant for your service, giving you the confidence to command the respect of others as well as having a healthy self-respect. Of course, this is just my opinion. It all depends on what your expectations are and whether those expectations are voiced and acknowledged/agreed upon. It's usually a good idea to write them down so they can be included in your contract. That way, everyone is in agreement on what is expected. As far as the different stages of collaring as given by Wikipedia, I haven't read about this still being followed by many, if anyone, in today's community. Like I said, it's whatever works best for YOU.

In the old guard leather community there were three stages of collaring. These are still informally followed by some in the BDSM community. The "collar of consideration" was the first and roughly analogous to a pre-engagement ring. This collar could be removed at any time by the submissive with no ill will and the relationship would be ended. The "training collar" is roughly analogous to an engagement ring and indicates a deepening relationship in which the submissive is being prepared by the dominant to serve to the standards the dominant wishes. Again, the submissive may ask to be released but the break is considered more serious and painful for both parties. Finally, the "slave collar" is analogous to a wedding band and at this point the submissive is considered a formal slave and owned by the dominant. In the old guard leather community this was considered permanent with no chance to end unless the submissive was released by the dominant for some exceptional reason. Simple failure of service was not adequate since that showed a failure on the part of the dominant as well as the slave. As with engagement and wedding rings there are traditions with collars in regard to type of materials and colors that are appropriate to each type, usually becoming more elaborate.

Guest 91108
05-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Hrmm ..
I consider WV both ringed in marriage and collared permanent as submissive.
I consider Wlg to be more "velcro" collared as i know in time she may grow and we may grow apart. I can accept that.
I think as has been stated above .. each relationship is different and is all up to the discussions between the two.
Both are very workable if worked out ahead of time. And openly discussed when the need arises from either side.

Masters_diamond
05-16-2007, 10:43 AM
Hi
I just wanted to say that when my Master collared me,everything changed.This meant that i was his owned property and slave. I have no rights,and yes i have to ask permission for everything.but this is what i wanted,someone to control me and own me.

Masters_diamond < owned by Masterdarkone:wave:

Eponine
05-16-2007, 05:15 PM
diamond:

just wanted to say i too enjoy the "micromanagement" and i wanted to ask you- as your master's collared property and slave with no rights, do you feel less of a person or individual? I just wanted another slave's input, since usafmedic22 expressed this in her original question.

Ocean_Soul
05-16-2007, 07:08 PM
Many issues and questions come down to working it out with your partner this included, as you can see. There are no rules that dictate if someone is called on thing they lose their individuality and if they are called another they do not. Does he treat you like an object or not? Are his ideas on how much you should be controlled make you uncomfortable or wet? It’s important to talk about anything that makes you uncomfortable and come to an understanding of each other. Likewise anything that you think you would enjoy should be discussed as well. And hopefully that understanding will lead to a situation that is both enjoyable and beneficial to you both.

Masters_diamond
05-17-2007, 08:37 AM
Hello Mari
As my Masters Owned Slave and Property I guess my answer would be i am a person but i am my Masters property and I have to go by what my Master says no matter what.i belong to my Master. I am a person whom is used by him.i don't feel less of a person,but also i am an object for my Masters use.

Masters_diamond:wave:

ceegee{Benz}
05-17-2007, 09:11 AM
As people has said in posts before this one...each relationship is different.

I myself am slave to Master Benz...I am his owned property for him to as and when he wishes.
but..........
I am also his equal...his partner...his life.
I wear a fine gold chain around my neck that has never come off...that is my perminant collar. I also have a matching anklet made from the same chain as what is around my neck.
Master asks...I do.
I also wear his ring...making me not just his slave but his wife to be.
Altho being his slave..I do also have opinions and a voice and this Master values and is always asking for my imput on things. I have not lost full independancy...not yet anyway but if I want to do something I still have to ask permission for.
Master does not want me to loose any part of my individuality as it is who I am...and it is who I am that made him fall in love with me in the first place.
But...and i am rambling
my soul and my totally being belongs to him

cadence
05-17-2007, 10:11 AM
I understand that each couples views on collared submisive vs. slave are based on thier own opinions and ideas.

I have a bit of difficulty understanding the control part of the relationship.
Forgive me if I am hijacking this thread in a different direction, but I was curious about some things.

My interpretation is that a person who loses thier individuality regardless of whether they are an owned slave or submissive is borderlining on more of an abusive relationship. That is just my own opinion.

My curiousity lies in what a sub or slave gives up in the relationship. I am not referring to anything pertaining to any sexual play, but the average daily things vanilla people would not consider asking permission for.

Although my boyfriend and I do not live a D\s relationship, at times I think we borderline it.
While he did guide me and control most of my decisions, he gave me plenty of freedom to do what I pleased. However when I was asked to do something for him, I had never denied any of his requests.
I was happy to do whatever he asked of me, and would even rearrange my schedule to suit him.
Maybe it is because I have that deep seeded need to do this, as I still do, and he appreciates it.
The only thing we lack is any discipline or punishments when I do not do things his way.

So before I start to ramble on more, what are the things a collared sub or slave give up in the relationship, and what are the things you do not have to give up control of.

_ID_
05-17-2007, 05:52 PM
medic was looking for some insight on her perceptions on the idea of a collar. The "its what you make of it" she already knew. she was looking for personal views more than politically safe views.

My view of a collar is it states that the bottom/submissive is in a committed relationship.

The dynamic of that relationship is unknown until stated by the bottom. As far as I am concerned, if the sub is collared, and it were to be to me. If she is submissive, then thats just what she is, my committed submissive. Committed to the relationship as we desire it. Committed to submitting to me as I require. On the other hand, if she is slave, and I am talking 24/7 slave, not bedroom slave or playtime slave. If she is slave, then her voice in the relationship is valued, but only heeded when I find usefulness in what she has to say. Safe words as a submissive knows them would be reduced in weight, as they would only be for an emergency, not "I can't do this anymore". When I say emergency, I'm talking "either i get to pee, or i steam clean the carpet" kind of emergency. A slave gets only as much personal freedoms as her Master would allow. If that means she doesn't do anything until told to do so, then thats what it is. Personally, I don't like that level of protocol in a relationship. I find it to be time consuming and monotonous.

medic and I are in lengthy discussions about what a collar means to each of us, and what we want in a D/s relationship. It was from these conversations that I told her to pose the question to the forms, get the opinion of some others. Widen the perspective, and then formulate her own views from what information she gathered. Then we talk some more, and figure out what direction we want to go.

ID

cadence
05-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Sorry I just got too curious

usafmedic22
05-17-2007, 07:39 PM
cadence...no worries hun, ID's post was not a reply to yours, just another post in response to mine. It wasn't a redirect or anything.
Now...onto your questions...maybe me stumbling through them will help me answer mine...who knows so why not?
As far as losing individuality, I understand what you're saying about it bordering on abuse, but I think that is rarely the intent. And coming out of an abusive relationship myself, I can tell you that it's hard to recognize and even harder to tear yourself away from, despite it destroying you...alas but i digress.....
I can't tell you about what a slave/submissive gives up in a D/s relationship, because i'm so new. What I can tell you is that you are describing a personality very similar to mine. I was always the same way with my husband, constantly working to please and appease him, regardless of how those things affected me. I'm not saying yours are detrimental to you as mine were, just that we are similar in that way. In fact, there is a major difference in the fact that he recognizes and appreciates everything you do for him, whereas mine never did.
Anyway, I'm going to shut up now, but I wanted to make sure that you didn't think Sir was trying to redirect you, I've spoken with him and he wasn't. And I wanted to point out that we have some things in common. I'm hoping the responses to this thread will continue, and we can both learn more...
medic

Ocean_Soul
05-17-2007, 10:11 PM
she was looking for personal views more than politically safe views.

Did you mean to say "personal views as opposed to general views"?

Because I don't think anyone here being coy for the sake of political correctness.

_ID_
05-18-2007, 03:28 AM
No. I meant what I said. People don't voice what they think. So they state the view that is more accepted. It's what you make of it, is not how submissives feel about their own collar. medic was looking for those personal views.

MrDom
05-18-2007, 03:49 AM
hey guys here my 2 cents worth I have a slave but it did not start out that way. It progressed to that stage. I started out as just her Dominate she wore no real collar in any fashion. We slowly progress in thtat direction she wanted a collar so I had her make a simple 1/34 inch wide collar black. simple just a snap to keep it on her neck. I knew what she wanted to be after I made her wear a leather collar after a few months. Medic it all depends onwhat you want the collar too mean. What you and you Dominate wants. I agree with ID . But do not be surprized that eventaullay not that it means it will depending on if you too live together or not. But mainly how you feel medic that at some point you start heading more to being slave than sub even tho you think you are still sub.

cadence to help with your question a little it depends on personallity of the sub. My pet is more of a slave than a sub she needs boundries and she wants many things in her like to be decide by her dominate. Collar sub gives up less than a slave. A sub personallity want to keep more of herself. A collar slave has a more rooted personality of being a slave want needs desires boundries want too be told when to do sometime more restictions tha a sub. But just remember which i do she is still the women i love and protect and even her being my slave her well being in everything comes first to me.

MrDom

annie
05-18-2007, 05:43 AM
As to the first question...

i'm still back to the point that it doesn't matter what the person is called in the relationship. It is all just a matter of "titles" and semantics. The collar is how you feel about it, period. If you think yourself slave (or have the personality) then no matter what "description" you use you will still function/crave/desire as a slave even if called a sub and vise versa. To be happy call yourself what ever makes you feel better... as long as the way the relationship is established makes you happy.

The understanding that slaves have no opinions, rights, etc. actually annoys me greatly. Personally, i swear that concept came about by some wannabe Dom's who wanted to abuse and control people but wanted an excuse to make the behavior acceptable. (Which really pisses me off... lol.) i know of maybe 1% of relationships that function that way, where both are happy in that type of relationship. Most Doms, that are true and real, WANT the input and require it for open communication, although it is understood that even with the input the final choice, without question, lies with the Dom.

To the second question, as to personal opinion...

i have been collared twice, both times as a slave. Which many here would argue wasn't possible since we never lived together. But, for us and the control they had over me it was as close to living together as possible. (Back to the "semantics" thing again.) Both times to wonderful Doms and yet both times meant different things and i grew in a different fashion from each. Neither were better or worse then the other... as one of the Dom's would have put it... "it was what it was."

The first time i was new to D/s although we have been together for almost a year before i was actually given his collar. Based on circumstances it was a very simple one and one that i could remove if need be. The reason for giving it was simple... i NEEDED to feel more owned to be happy and the collar provided that. It gave me a constant reminder/connection that i needed to grow further and trust further in the relationship due to past experiences. That relationship lasted about 3 or so years. We parted as friends.

Did the first relationship change after i was collared... the rules didn't change, the expectations didn't change but i did change. It solidified what i was and helped me to accept that better and stop struggling against him/me and allowed me to sink further into my submission and the pleasure i received from it.

The second collar was not something i went seeking it just came about naturally. As i believe all collars should. It did change our relationship... but ONLY because until the collar was in place there were certain limits that were placed on the relationship by the Dom for my protection. Those limits changed once the collar was in place and i was able to start serving him more completely. It again was a wonderful experience and one i truly miss. The level of submission was much deeper starting out then with the first relationship due to several factors... the Dom, my growth since the first collar, the level that we both expected/wanted to experience, etc. i came out of that relationship though as a much more sensuous person, a feeling of greater self worth, and a better understanding of what true submission for me is.

Each time my emotions grew deeper, once collared, because of the "security" factor. i was able to completely give without fear of being tossed aside because i knew that the step meant a lot to both of them as well. If anything, both times, it increased my own perceived self worth because i was no longer a "disposable" toy. And, both wanted my input and reasoning, i by no means lost me by being collared, that would have been determental to me and to the relationship, which both Doms recognized. If anything i found more of me because they allowed me the opportunity to say "no" to others without quilt and they ensured that i had the time for me that i was less likely to take, etc. They required that i maintain healthy boundaries which prevented me from getting as lost in taking care of others.

Did they refer to me as their toy and as property? Yes. Did that bother me? Initially with the first one, yes, but that was due more to my own struggle between what i wanted and what i felt was "acceptable" in society. When i finally accepted it as basically a term of endearment it became a sense of pride. Luckily the second Dom didn't have to deal with that portion... lol.

So... much longer post then i intended but that is how i felt/feel about it. Better ID??? *grinz*

jeanne
05-18-2007, 05:49 AM
Wow, I really like this thread. I don't have anything to add, but thank all for sharing your thoughts on this intimate, emotional topic.

I hope to be collared someday - many steps between now and then though...

Ocean_Soul
05-18-2007, 06:10 AM
No. I meant what I said. People don't voice what they think. So they state the view that is more accepted. It's what you make of it, is not how submissives feel about their own collar. medic was looking for those personal views.

My apologies IDCrewDawg. But if the opinions of others are treated with the contempt, only a 6 word sweeping generalization can provide, I hope you won’t mind if I simply not bother sharing them in the first place.

ceegee{Benz}
05-18-2007, 06:37 AM
Since recieving my collar from Master last year...I have become more settled and more content with myself. I know where I belong. For once I know who I am.
as i said before its not just about a sub dom relationship...it is a partnership and relationship as well

Warbaby1943
05-18-2007, 06:43 AM
Since recieving my collar from Master last year...I have become more settled and more content with myself. I know where I belong. For once I know who I am.
as i said before its not just about a sub dom relationship...it is a partnership and relationship as well
Basically it all boils down to your last statement which makes it so wonderful. Well stated.

_ID_
05-18-2007, 02:27 PM
My apologies IDCrewDawg. But if the opinions of others are treated with the contempt, only a 6 word sweeping generalization can provide, I hope you won’t mind if I simply not bother sharing them in the first place. You clearly know the minds of people better than they do anyway, so no real loss.

No idea where you got the contempt for others thoughts. If your feelings were hurt by my post. I don't apologize, as I state my opinions regardless if they hurt or not. I figure it's better to be honest in how I feel about something, rather than dancing around it.

annie - Yes that was wonderful, thank you!

Ocean_Soul
05-18-2007, 03:37 PM
No idea where you got the contempt for others thoughts. If your feelings were hurt by my post. I don't apologize, as I state my opinions regardless if they hurt or not. I figure it's better to be honest in how I feel about something, rather than dancing around it.

*sigh* I'm sending you a PM telling you exactly what I was trying to say. And no, I wasn't hurt.

cadence
05-18-2007, 04:25 PM
cadence to help with your question a little it depends on personallity of the sub. My pet is more of a slave than a sub she needs boundries and she wants many things in her like to be decide by her dominate. Collar sub gives up less than a slave. A sub personallity want to keep more of herself. A collar slave has a more rooted personality of being a slave want needs desires boundries want too be told when to do sometime more restictions tha a sub. But just remember which i do she is still the women i love and protect and even her being my slave her well being in everything comes first to me.
MrDom

Thanks for your input.

cadence...no worries hun, ID's post was not a reply to yours, just another post in response to mine. It wasn't a redirect or anything.
Now...onto your questions...maybe me stumbling through them will help me answer mine...who knows so why not?
As far as losing individuality, I understand what you're saying about it bordering on abuse, but I think that is rarely the intent. And coming out of an abusive relationship myself, I can tell you that it's hard to recognize and even harder to tear yourself away from, despite it destroying you...alas but i digress.....
I can't tell you about what a slave/submissive gives up in a D/s relationship, because i'm so new. What I can tell you is that you are describing a personality very similar to mine. I was always the same way with my husband, constantly working to please and appease him, regardless of how those things affected me. I'm not saying yours are detrimental to you as mine were, just that we are similar in that way. In fact, there is a major difference in the fact that he recognizes and appreciates everything you do for him, whereas mine never did.
Anyway, I'm going to shut up now, but I wanted to make sure that you didn't think Sir was trying to redirect you, I've spoken with him and he wasn't. And I wanted to point out that we have some things in common. I'm hoping the responses to this thread will continue, and we can both learn more...
medic

And thanks for clarifying that for me, I thought that maybe by sneaking in my own question, I had overstepped my boundries in someone else's post.
Seeing that I am new to everything, and still trying to understand and learn, I can't really offer any opinions, only those that are based mostly on assumptions.

I think that just_annie explained her feelings towards receiving a collar perfectly. After reading her post I understand the concept of how a sub would feel regarding collars, and ceegee explains that as well in just a simple sentence.

usafmedic22
05-18-2007, 05:31 PM
First off...thank you so much annie for posting...your views are very much in line with mine, I just haven't been able to put them into words until now. Thank you soooo much!

The understanding that slaves have no opinions, rights, etc. actually annoys me greatly. Personally, i swear that concept came about by some wannabe Dom's who wanted to abuse and control people but wanted an excuse to make the behavior acceptable. (Which really pisses me off... lol.) i know of maybe 1% of relationships that function that way, where both are happy in that type of relationship. Most Doms, that are true and real, WANT the input and require it for open communication, although it is understood that even with the input the final choice, without question, lies with the Dom.

And just to clarify, my intention was not to annoy/offend anyone by saying that bit about slaves not having rights, etc, just to offer a perception that I've gathered since I began exploring this lifestyle. I agree that in my experience talking with Dom's that they do want the input and open lines of communication, which negates the above statement.

The reason for giving it was simple... i NEEDED to feel more owned to be happy and the collar provided that. It gave me a constant reminder/connection that i needed to grow further and trust further in the relationship due to past experiences.........It solidified what i was and helped me to accept that better and stop struggling against him/me and allowed me to sink further into my submission and the pleasure i received from it.

The second collar was not something i went seeking it just came about naturally. As i believe all collars should. It did change our relationship... but ONLY because until the collar was in place there were certain limits that were placed on the relationship by the Dom for my protection. Those limits changed once the collar was in place and i was able to start serving him more completely. It again was a wonderful experience and one i truly miss. The level of submission was much deeper starting out then with the first relationship due to several factors... the Dom, my growth since the first collar, the level that we both expected/wanted to experience, etc. i came out of that relationship though as a much more sensuous person, a feeling of greater self worth, and a better understanding of what true submission for me is.

Each time my emotions grew deeper, once collared, because of the "security" factor. i was able to completely give without fear of being tossed aside because i knew that the step meant a lot to both of them as well. If anything, both times, it increased my own perceived self worth because i was no longer a "disposable" toy. And, both wanted my input and reasoning, i by no means lost me by being collared, that would have been determental to me and to the relationship, which both Doms recognized. If anything i found more of me because they allowed me the opportunity to say "no" to others without quilt and they ensured that i had the time for me that i was less likely to take, etc. They required that i maintain healthy boundaries which prevented me from getting as lost in taking care of others.

Did they refer to me as their toy and as property? Yes. Did that bother me? Initially with the first one, yes, but that was due more to my own struggle between what i wanted and what i felt was "acceptable" in society. When i finally accepted it as basically a term of endearment it became a sense of pride. Luckily the second Dom didn't have to deal with that portion... lol.

EXACTLY!!! Lemme see if I can stumble through this and explain how I responded to this...
I feel that a collar should be earned...not by performing a certain task or proving submission...but through communication between the Dom and the sub and by the sub's attitude and willingness to submit, and that willingness being obvious. I look forward very much to earning my collar, and the comfort that it will bring knowing that I'm worth it or worthy of it in His eyes. I'm learning to adjust my views on many things, and it's becoming easier for me to dismiss the negative views others may have of me because if my Dom is content with me, and/or proud of me, no one else's opinion matters. Therefore, earning my collar will be a huge source of pride for me, because it's an outward expression of my worth.

annie would you be willing to explain what limitatios you were speaking of when you said that until your collar were in place there were limitations set by your Dom for your protection? I'm trying to wrap my head around this concept, and some examples from you would greately help if you were willing to share them...

It amazes me that you mention the "toy" concept. I have personal experience with that as well. One non bdsm relationship I was in ended abruptly when I began to feel and realize that a toy was all I really was to him. I believe that experience is the reason being referred to as a toy will always raise the hairs on the back of my neck and invoke a negative feeling with me. But, never say never, as I refuse to let past experiences influence a new relationship, as the new person wasn't the one that made me feel that way, and shouldn't be "punished" so to speak, for something he didn't do.

As far as property goes....well....the feelings I associate with that are very difficult for me to pin down to put into words. For some reason I associate being referred to as property to lessening my worth as a submissive. Why? Well, to me it makes me feel less special. He makes me feel very special, and referring to me as property somehow diminishes that. Property/Toys to me are mass produced, replaceable, etc. I don't feel that I'm that way...kinda goes back to wanting that feeling of being one of a kind, and special to him because I'm one of a kind...But please don't think I'm criticizing anyone else for enjoying/liking being referred to that way, as I'm definitely one of the "to each their own" school of thought people. What makes the individual couple happy is all that truly matters, I'm just putting my thoughts into words.

Anyway, I'm going to shut up now, I think I've definitely exceeded my "thoughts for the day" allowance. LOL...

wingsofanangel
05-19-2007, 09:47 AM
-ho hums to herself beig very confused about some statments-

So were we supposed to state our personal feelings or not?

And if our personal feelings are inline with "politically correct" views, are we to not voice them?

I would never say something that I don't truely feel... while one can point out the general view of something, they can also point out the personal view of something... and I think both of those being voiced in this topic are important.

Perhaps Medic wasn't asking for a particular one... but nonetheless having a well rounded knowledge on the subject is better than blindly choosing a view. Also, others will read this that too have similiar questions... and why not cover all the bases?

or...

did I just missunderstand?

---Anya

_ID_
05-19-2007, 01:27 PM
did I just missunderstand?

---Anya

Whatever your view is, that is fine. What medic was looking for was personal accounts. Personal thoughts on it. If your view is generalized, then fine, but I doubt that it is. If it matches the politically correct view fine. Just be specific, cause generalizing the answer doesn't answer anything.

Ocean_Soul
05-19-2007, 04:12 PM
What is the politically correct view on collars anyway? Wearing a collar isn't politically correct in the first place.

And what would be an example of a commonly held non-politically correct view on a collar? "A collar is license to beat my wife to within inches of her life on a daily bases"?

_ID_
05-19-2007, 05:34 PM
Perhaps just ignore my post if you don't like it. Would prevent hijacking the thread from medic and others trying to learn. My point is. Post what you think, not what you think is non-offensive (politically correct). Yes there is a political correctness even in communities like this.

Ocean_Soul
05-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Perhaps just ignore my post if you don't like it.

Didn't like your post? It was just a question.

New Thread on this: http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/forums/showthread.php?p=300680

And yes, I'm sure there are things that are considered politically incorrect in this lifestyle. But what are politically incorrect views on collars?

annie
05-19-2007, 08:15 PM
annie - Yes that was wonderful, thank you!

You're welcome!

~hellish one~
05-19-2007, 08:37 PM

i've been keeping an eye on this thread and i just want to take a second to thank everyone who has replied with their own personal advice, opinions and knowledge in an effort to help answer medic's questions.

politically correct or not, i believe everyone is doing their best to help. we don't want to discourage people from posting and offering up their opinions here out of fear of being criticized. i'm not saying everyone has to agree all the time. if everyone had the same views on everything then the world would just flat out suck. i just think we need to be a lil more courteous to those who are taking time to try and help. that's all.

annie
05-19-2007, 08:39 PM
annie would you be willing to explain what limitatios you were speaking of when you said that until your collar were in place there were limitations set by your Dom for your protection? I'm trying to wrap my head around this concept, and some examples from you would greately help if you were willing to share them...

i won't list the exact "limitations" that were in place. i will say that perhaps "limitations" is not the right word. More like His own personal rules that were used to help protect me from my own emotions. He understands how deeply emotions (at least for me) are tied to submission and so the rules were in place to ensure that the emotions were properly respected and yet not taken advantage of by either of us. (If that makes any sense.) i knew about some of the rules and some of them i didn't realize until later.

Think i need to clarify that we both agree that the emotions are good, needed, etc. for determining a relationship but there is also a point where they can become determental, especially when a sub (me) is starting to function in that mode again after an extended time away from it. The object was to ensure that the emotions weren't in control but were enhancing, facilitating the experience, and used to determine the direction of the relationship. Weather that was to move towards accepting His collar or to terminating the relationship completely to anything in between and yet i would still be left as strong as i was (if not stronger) before starting the exploration...

Ok... i don't think that makes ANY sense. i'm sorry, it's late and i don't know how else to explain it... lol. Good luck! :)

Flaming_Redhead
05-20-2007, 07:01 PM
*sigh* I wasn't trying to be politically correct, either. I was trying to answer the questions as I perceived them. People aren't always comfortable sharing their personal views as it leaves them open to criticism. That being said, I will now share my personal feelings which I am reluctant to do because things are still being worked out and because I tend to ramble incoherently when discussing feelings and such. Anyway, my collar is beautiful! I don't feel like less of a person for wearing it. In fact, the exact opposite is true. I don't really care what he calls me as his endearments range from his redheaded treasure to his wet little fuckdoll. LOL The collar reminds me that he values me very much and wants me for keeps. By that, I mean a long time. No one knows the future. *smiles* You get the idea, though. I feel special because I am the only one privileged to wear his collar when he could have a different sub to play with every day of the week. I am not A slut. I am HIS slut. I am not A toy. I am HIS toy. I am not one of many toys or simply his favorite toy. I am his ONLY toy. I am not disposable. I am wanted...needed. I have always regarded collars with some trepidation. OK, the thought of being collared would put me into a state of panic. *ggls* I had the same preconceived notions that I would lose a vital part of myself...the essence of ME! I didn't want to lose the freedom I had only just recently obtained. I didn't want to again be smothered...crushed...the light inside to go out. I realized that my fears were based on past experiences in bad relationships. A wise man told me to look to the future, not the past. A wise friend told me to go for it...that this was unlike anything I'd ever experienced before and would change my life in ways I couldn't even begin to imagine. I know that I'm happier than I've been in a long time. He truly wants what's best for me. He is helping me become my own best friend. I gladly allow him to use all my fuckholes, spit on me, call me names, tie me up, whip me, cum on my face, etc., some of which I have never allowed anyone else to do. Why? I do it because he has proven himself worthy of my trust and respect, because I love him and want to please him, because he works very hard to please me and because he loves me. *blushes* I'm gonna go now....

_ID_
05-20-2007, 07:19 PM
very well said red. thank you for being candid. I might also add, the man is lucky to have you. you do Him proud, and I am glad you have found happiness.

usafmedic22
05-20-2007, 07:49 PM
*bear hugs red* and just when were you planning on telling me???!!!! :P congrats to you both girlie, you definitely deserve it, and i'm sure i'd say the same if i'd have met him. hopefully one day we have the chance to meet in person and chat....
thanks a bunch guys....i'm very happy to have the opportunity to read so many personal feelings/thoughts on this...i realize that it's a somewhat touchy and very intimate subject...

Warbaby1943
05-21-2007, 05:54 AM
Very happy for you red and it really sounds like you found the right one for you. Stay happy.

cariad
05-21-2007, 11:25 PM
...My view of a collar is it states that the bottom/submissive is in a committed relationship. ...

I would agree with you ID, to me a collar is symbolic of commitment to each other and commitment to whatever that relationship may be.

In the same way that I have learnt to never try and understand how other people's marriages work, I have given up trying to understand how other people's bdsm relationships work, we are all so different.

He whom I choose to serve has not given me a collar since I have not yet agreed to marry him. His logic, which I agree with, is that since I still have a reservation about making the commitment of marrying him, I cannot be fully committed to the relationship, and therefore I am not in a position to accept his collar.

At the other end of the spectrum, I have respect for online collars if it is an established relationship and both parties are as fully committed to each other as their circumstances permit.

I would disagree with one point however - to me a collar shows that both Dom/me and sub are in a committed relationship, even though it is only the sub who wears it.

cariad

ceegee{Benz}
05-22-2007, 01:46 AM
I would disagree with one point however - to me a collar shows that both Dom/me and sub are in a committed relationship, even though it is only the sub who wears it.

cariad

My Master wears my collar...of sorts lolol.
When I accepted his collar he also accepted a neckchain of mine that is a family heirloom. The pendant is an anchor.
Not only does he carry a picture of us but he also has a piece of me close to his heart at all times.
is a bit like exchanging weddings rings...is how i can explain it

Warbaby1943
05-22-2007, 03:12 AM

cariad

I have to agree with this statement. It is how I have felt for a long time and the reason I could never understand how two or three could wear the collar of one Dom/me at the same time. I guess I could understand a Dom/me having more than one sub but I don't understand more than one of them being collared at the same time. I guess I am old fashioned probably because I am old but that is my opinion.

MajesticFae
05-22-2007, 06:59 AM
My Master wears my collar...of sorts lolol.
When I accepted his collar he also accepted a neckchain of mine that is a family heirloom. The pendant is an anchor.
Not only does he carry a picture of us but he also has a piece of me close to his heart at all times.

That's beautiful, ceegee! It's a little funny, that's wonderful that he keeps that piece of you close to his heart.

I agree with Warbaby and cariad too that the collar signifies a commited relationship between Dom/me and sub.

tessa
05-22-2007, 07:49 AM
~hugs you tight~

That is beautiful, sweetie!

cariad
05-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Hmmmm - me thinks so too ceegee.

cariad

ceegee{Benz}
05-22-2007, 09:24 AM
Hmmmm - me thinks so too ceegee.

cariad

smiles

_ID_
05-22-2007, 03:07 PM

cariad

Since the thread was about what a collar signified for a submissive, I didn't include my thoughts on it from the Dominants perspective, though I did elude to them I think.

So since it was brought up, I will clarify. I did say that a collar signifies that the sub is in a committed relationship, one that I would desire. Just so there isn't a misunderstanding, yes, I would be also committed to that relationship as the sub and I defined it.

Eponine
05-22-2007, 05:08 PM
That is so neat! I loved reading your big blurb about your "significant other" lol... I can so relate to everything you said there (except I always knew I would wear a collar from the right One).

Cariad,
Great point about both being committed!

Medic...
so how are you faring so far with all this input you've gotten?

(...and to ID and Medic and everyone... was there a thread I missed about the two of you?.. I mean, that's so awesome... )

usafmedic22
05-23-2007, 08:16 PM
mari-
I'm enjoying this greatly actually. Getting the different perspectives is more helpful than I could have imagined. I'm also reading Different Loving, on Sir's advice, and it's been enlightening so far as well. Initially I thought that SM 101 was the best out there...but now I'm understanding that SM 101 is an awesome book, but doesn't go into the dynamics of the relationship and the different emotions that both go through throughout the relationship like Different Loving does. Neither is better than the other, they're just different. lol....no pun intended...but i'll leave it alone...
And as far as a thread regarding the two of us...no there hasn't been a thread...lol, we haven't even established what we define ourselves to be to each other, much less announced it....neither of us is much into opening up much of our personal lives to public view...nothing against anyone, we're just a little more on the private side, partially because of our profession. So to answer your question, nope, you haven't missed anything regarding us.
Thank you all for the input...please please continue!!!! :)
medic

KoTe
06-24-2007, 12:27 PM
For me collaring is something like a BDSM wedding. Yesterday my owner gave me a collar with the words "Will you marry me"... So we got engaged :) And now I have a beautiful red collar, and it is very comfortable! I`m happy :D

Sir_Russell
06-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Just my $5.50 worth. I am training morgan to be my slave, this doesn't mean (at least to me) that she has nothing else in her life.

She is a strong willed, intelligent and competent lady. We have contracted her slavery requirements and more importantly those areas that I have little or no say in. This may sound strange to some but what right do I have to control her profession life or her family life.

I often ask for her opinion and value her answers, she is free to question or suggest to me anything if she does it in an appropriate manner.

Once again a good Master is after his slave being the best she can be in all aspects of her life.

The fantasy that anyone can totally control another person at all times means that controlling person has little time for their own life.

I agree with the set of collars since it shows that both have made a large comitment to the other.

Tasker
06-25-2007, 10:55 AM
As others have stated in this thread, a collar is a symbol as is a wedding ring. The meaning and power behind it is dependant on the couple involved.
Having said that. childbride finds she feels a sense of security, contentment and reasurance in wearing hers. she will often touch the silver chain that is her permanent collar in times of stress or when I am not with her and find comfort in it.
Her house collar is fur lined leather and wearing it (when she can. we have kids) intensifies the feelings she gets from her permanent collar.

Hmm I realy aught to point her to this thread she caould most likely bescribe her feelings better than my stumblings.

childbride is a slave. Perhaps our outlook differs to many, but we came from a long marriage before we started exploring the lifestyle and Mutualy decided what we wanted out of it. she craves the control, desires to serve, yet still has a voice, spirit, opinions, and offers advice. She was my wife a long time before she became my slave and that partnership is still in existance and always will be. We are also monogomous by choice. that little line in the marriage vows "cleave unto no other" is a cornerstone to our partnership and a solid belief
Yes I can dictate what she will wear, eat, and do, but that is what we both wanted at the outset and works for us.

At the end of the day it is what works for the people involved. everyone has a different set of desires and ideals. So long as the relationship is happy it is a case of live it love it

Paul

isabeau6
06-25-2007, 02:27 PM
i have been told that it takes time to become collared..that it takes time to find the right one for you..and that also it takes time to get to know each other..i have been accused of wanting just any collar i can get..and also that i'm impatient...impatient yes that is a flaw of mine, but grabbing any collar just for the sake of wearing one, no that's not true..i did that two years ago, when i didn't know any better...the fact is if my ex hadn't hurt me so badly, i would still be wearing his collar now.. that being said...i got to know Rabbit1 over the weekend..all day saturday and all day sunday..we talked for ever it seems and got to know everything about each other..and realized we are perfect for each other...so although it's best probably to get to know each other over time, well we did that all this last weekend..i am proud to be his submissive..in the process though, i've upset someone that i was having a playful sort of relationship with..and i'm sorry about that..he knows who he is..he doesn't post much..hardly any at all..but i never wore his collar..

i trust Rabbit1, and i feel that we shall grow in our relationship as time goes on..i know it happened fairly quickly, but he has been in this lifestyle for 25 years and i believe he knows what is what..so i will be guided by him..

tessa
06-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Sincere congratulations to you and Rabbit, isabeau. :)

Rabbit1
06-25-2007, 03:15 PM

thanks tessa:wave:

isabeau6
06-25-2007, 03:32 PM

thank you tessa....:)

jeanne
06-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Congratulations, Rabbit and isabeau!

angelic.zest
06-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Congratulations, Rabbit and isabeau!

Ozme52
06-25-2007, 11:11 PM
good luck

isabeau6
06-26-2007, 03:49 AM
thank you guys...i feel truly lucky and blessed..

usafmedic22
06-28-2007, 04:19 PM
i have been told that it takes time to become collared..that it takes time to find the right one for you..and that also it takes time to get to know each other..i have been accused of wanting just any collar i can get..and also that i'm impatient...impatient yes that is a flaw of mine, but grabbing any collar just for the sake of wearing one, no that's not true..i did that two years ago, when i didn't know any better...the fact is if my ex hadn't hurt me so badly, i would still be wearing his collar now.. that being said...i got to know Rabbit1 over the weekend..all day saturday and all day sunday..we talked for ever it seems and got to know everything about each other..and realized we are perfect for each other...so although it's best probably to get to know each other over time, well we did that all this last weekend..i am proud to be his submissive..in the process though, i've upset someone that i was having a playful sort of relationship with..and i'm sorry about that..he knows who he is..he doesn't post much..hardly any at all..but i never wore his collar..

i trust Rabbit1, and i feel that we shall grow in our relationship as time goes on..i know it happened fairly quickly, but he has been in this lifestyle for 25 years and i believe he knows what is what..so i will be guided by him..

isabeau, we are in somewhat similar situations....Sir decided very recently that he wanted to collar me, and I of course accepted. For now it's a collar of consideration (yes, it's kinda an old guard thing), which will change to a permanent collar once we're able to be together permanently. Neither of us wishes to rush things, and we both understand that the physical distance between us is going to make things exceedingly difficult at times.
But anyway, what I wanted to tell you before I went off on the tangent was that I have upset people too lately. I've been what I would consider lightly involved with a few other Doms since meeting my Sir. All of that ended with my collar. And more than one is quite upset with me because of it. My intention was never to lead them on or anything of the sort, but I am now officially off the market so to speak, and they're not happy about it, or so it seems. You, like me, know what you feel is best for you, and that is to entrust yourself to another.
I'm like you, I can see how people may be judgemental and say "it's too soon" or whatever else, but don't sweat it. I'm not. I know how I feel, and I know where I want to be...in His arms and under His guidance.
So congratulations to both of you, and best wishes for a happy, successful future.
Hugs,
medic

Also, thank you to everyone again that has posted regarding my questions about collars. My long conversations with my Sir and the help I received here are what gave me the confidence to accept His collar as the right decision for both of us. So thanks again....

Tasker
06-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Good luck ID and medic. May the future hold as much happiness as it has for myself and cb

_ID_
06-28-2007, 05:31 PM
She is my opposite. I look forward to leaving many happy bruises on her back side.

The collar of consideration is simply that. It allows us to explore the idea of the collar, and let the idea settle in our heads, without that complete commitment that comes with a permanent collar. She and I are of the same goal, in that we would like a permanent collar someday in the future as a couple. Neither of us wants to rush into something, and have it been done for the wrong reasons.

Thanks Tasker for your warm wishes.

isabeau6
06-29-2007, 07:53 AM
isabeau, we are in somewhat similar situations....Sir decided very recently that he wanted to collar me, and I of course accepted. For now it's a collar of consideration (yes, it's kinda an old guard thing), which will change to a permanent collar once we're able to be together permanently. Neither of us wishes to rush things, and we both understand that the physical distance between us is going to make things exceedingly difficult at times.
But anyway, what I wanted to tell you before I went off on the tangent was that I have upset people too lately. I've been what I would consider lightly involved with a few other Doms since meeting my Sir. All of that ended with my collar. And more than one is quite upset with me because of it. My intention was never to lead them on or anything of the sort, but I am now officially off the market so to speak, and they're not happy about it, or so it seems. You, like me, know what you feel is best for you, and that is to entrust yourself to another.
I'm like you, I can see how people may be judgemental and say "it's too soon" or whatever else, but don't sweat it. I'm not. I know how I feel, and I know where I want to be...in His arms and under His guidance.
So congratulations to both of you, and best wishes for a happy, successful future.
Hugs,
medic

Also, thank you to everyone again that has posted regarding my questions about collars. My long conversations with my Sir and the help I received here are what gave me the confidence to accept His collar as the right decision for both of us. So thanks again....

ah good luck medic...and yes we are alike..pm me anytime...i would consider ID to be very lucky to have collared you...xoxo

pixie_dust
06-29-2007, 08:05 AM
Just wanting to offer soft hugs and warm wishes to all of you, ID/medic and Rabbit1/isabeau. May all of your dreams and wishes be realized.

p.s. So long as you are happy with the yours, the rest of the world doesn't exist, IMHO.

isabeau6
06-29-2007, 09:50 AM
Just wanting to offer soft hugs and warm wishes to all of you, ID/medic and Rabbit1/isabeau. May all of your dreams and wishes be realized.

p.s. So long as you are happy with the yours, the rest of the world doesn't exist, IMHO.

thank you pixie dust....what i've found out is Rabbit1 is real..he has been a Dom for 25 years..he is compassionate, caring, loving, dominant, and intelligent..i feel as if i've known him for years..and that we were created for each other...he feels the same way...sure it was a bit hasty, but i knew what i was looking for..as did he...and i know that ID is also real, i can tell by what he said up above.. Rabbit1 protects me, cherishes me..and never exploits me...the perfect Dom for me..

thank you pixie..and i might add i love your avatar and your screen name...

_ID_
06-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks pixie and isabeau, thats very kind of you.

The change in relationship between medic and I has been in development since having said hello to each other nearly 8 months ago here on the library. The embers of this relationship are developing in such a way I hope they ignite a firestorm of passion and love as time moves on.

One can only hope.

isabeau6
06-29-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks pixie and isabeau, thats very kind of you.

The change in relationship between medic and I has been in development since having said hello to each other nearly 8 months ago here on the library. The embers of this relationship are developing in such a way I hope they ignite a firestorm of passion and love as time moves on.

One can only hope.

i love that sentiment...i hope that for you both also...

it's happened for me now..the passion and love i feel for Rabbit1 grows everyday...time will tell what will happen..as you said..one can only hope..without hope, why live..

jeanne
12-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Bump.

Having just read through this thread for the first time in a while...I think it would be nice to hear from members who have joined since, as well as those who may not have had anything to add previously, but do now.

Please share! :)

Midnite
12-16-2007, 05:14 AM
First off let me start off by saying that although Laura Ann and myself are just getting started in our relationship as Dom/sub, I consider her my most precious possession, and I would never do anything to break her trust or intentionally hurt her more than she is capable of taking, I do consider a collar a much greater commitment than a wedding ring, with a wedding ring all she is promising is to love, and obey, with a collar I am asking her to trust me explicitly for her entire well-being, I do hope that one day I am able to give her a wedding ring, and a collar, if things work out for us. Although she will have a nice red butt on the night of our wedding, and the night that I collar her.

submissivemark
12-16-2007, 01:50 PM
I just read through most of this thread, (not all of it, as I got enough of the general gist to be able to respond), & here's things from my perspective:

Ok, the Wikipedia reference is somewhat helpful, but at the same time far too limiting. As stated here by so many, the terms & the collar, (or lack thereof), are up to each individual couple, not some "Old Guard", (more on that in a minute), beliefs, or any other arbitrarily decided belief.

I have read much on the "Old Guard", which seems to have sprang into existence shortly after WWII, with gay servicemen that cherished the structure of the military & incorporated that into their own S&M leanings. Nothing wrong with that, but that DOESN'T mean their rituals & traditions are set in stone & are the only way to live a BDSM based life. If that were true, then Gor couldn't exist, (if it ever really did outside of some poorly written novels & the minds of some geeks, ok, sorry, cheap shot I know :d ), as there is no female submission in the "Old Guard", it being based on the gay male leather community that formed after WWII. The "Old Guard" ideals, rituals & protocol can be useful to an extent, but it isn't nor should it be the "be all & end all" of BDSM.

BDSM is what each couple makes of it, nothing more or less. A couple that plays at it as "kinky fun" on the occasional weekend is just as committed to it in their minds & hearts as a couple that lives it 24/7 with one person having to ask the other for permission to do everything besides breathing, (although asking for permission to speak requires speaking itself, so that's kinda self-negating to it's intended purpose, but again I digress on the side of smartassed commentary, my apology again for that).

Now for the "sub/slave" argument that continues to take up so much time in the lifestyle, (given the amount of energy spent debating it everywhere). Again such terms & the parameters & limits under each term is up to the participants. My Wife & I both abhor the term "slave", & all of it's many negative connotations, thus we use "submissive" to refer to what I am in our marriage. However, even though my opinions, input, advice & voice in general is wanted & needed in our narriage, Her word is law, & Her decision is final, which is how we both want it. She is the HOH, & what rights I do have, (& yes I do have them), are granted by Her. To some that would make me a slave, to us it makes me submissive, & an obedient individual, which is what we both wanted.

Now for collars. I do feel they are a powerful symbol of a D/s commitment, & I wear a simple white gold chain placed around my neck by Her as such a symbol, same as with my wedding ring, but it is still JUST a symbol. Very meaningful to us both yes, but it's what's in my heart that matters.

Finally, remember this: While structure based on rules is of paramount importance in establishing & maintaining a D/s based relationship, rituals, symbols & protocol are merely a part of said structure, not the structure itself, & need to be considered as such, nothing more or less.

:cool:

JonMaddux
01-23-2008, 04:51 PM
My wife has a few collars. Daycollar has some that are collars but dont really let most people know they are collars. As with everyone else i think its meaning is how you define it. To me my wife's collar is a symbol of not just her being my wife but by wearing it she says to me that she is happy to be my submissive. She is choosing to give herself to me. I treat her like a precious treasure but i will admit i consider her my property. In all fairness she is allowed to consider me her property also in that we are monogamous and we literally belong to each other. We figured in order for one to "belong" to the other there has to be an air of property right. That doesnt mean i dictate her every move or treat her as less than human. It means for us that one is owned by the other and cannot be had by anyone else, much like your house is your house and people arent allowed to squat there.
She doesnt always wear her collar, its usually reserved for special days when she wants something subtle to scream, "I'm yours, i serve you!" This works better for us because it makes her wearing it even more significant. Something used often will occasionally become meaningless, sometimes when something is reserved and savored it is held more meaningfully. Only the two of you can really define what that means between you.