My submissive and I used to live in Houston, Texas and were quite open about our lifestyle there, because no one really cares.

She wore her collar always, only taking it off to sleep and shower. When we went to visit friends in the lifestyle, she would go on a leash. Obviously, observers would have only seen the leash on her when we walked from the door to the car and vice-versa, but to my submissive, the reminder was there. And that was the point, after all.

We now live in a smaller town in Alberta and are not able to be as open with our lifestyle as we would like to be. The people here would not understand, because they are not used to seeing people walking around wearing collars, bdsm symbols, chains and so on. In these peoples' everyday lives, it just doesn't occur. So, my submissive and I downplay our lifestyle severely, except when we're at home, then it's "business as usual."

Great thread, too. It's nice to see how different people and their relationships vary by location, age, social preferences and even religion.