I can understand and definitely appreciate that. What prompted me to write that particular response was the fact that if my story received more than ten thousand hits for two story parts, there would seem to be quite a following for the story, and then I got to thinking, "What if there really is a following for this story?" I guess I've been dreaming a bit about planting a money tree with my writing since then.
A belated response to this from my own experience.

I published the first few chapters of my novel "From Zealot to Harlot" on this library (under the title "Obnoxious Housemate" though), and for some time was counting library "hits" and purchases at the same time.

During that time, the library version was right up on the front page, and pointed to the "for money" full version, so people were being directed there.

And now the bad news. People who read bdsm stories free tend to be less enthusiastic about paying for them. Although I had very high ratings (9/10), I sold roughly 1 book for every 1000 reader 'hits' shown on the free site. So 10,000 hits is a following, if you don't mind selling 10 copies of your book.

Sad, but there you go. Of course, your mileage may vary.