Quote Originally Posted by denuseri View Post
Additonally I believe, the Governemnt, would be making a mistake by letting Peta influence it to make some kind of hard stance against the cultural practices of any single cross section of society that isnt doing anything any worse that other cross sections, or failing that they should start with restrictions against those doing the "worse: things, like not going after ritual sluaghter while industrialized animal proccessing is left alone or hunting is allowed.
If the move against ritual slaughter were included in a general cleanup of slaughterhouse practices, I would believe that it was motivated by an honest concern for animal welfare. A law specifically targeting ritual slaughter is a blatant piece of headline-grabbing by politicians wanting to have it both ways - please the right wing by bashing Muslims, while staying cool with the left by promising they're only doing it for the good of the animals.

If I were a parliamentary member wanting to stop this, I'd put down an amendment to add bans on a raft of other cruel and profitable factory farming practices, and let the media watch the government tap-dancing as they try to explain why their new-found concern for animal welfare stops at the door of the hallal butcher's.