This wonderful thread in "BDSM Life" got me to thinking and doing a bit of research.

In a post in that thread I made a reference to this site concerning the "clinical terms" that are made towards many of the things that most of us here consider "normal."

According to this site (one of many) what we enjoy is a "Psychiatric Disorders" in the medical books of today. To be precise it is considered "Paraphilias and Sexual Disorders" and has some defined "Common Characteristics." Here is the definition given:

Paraphilias all have in common distressing and repetitive sexual fantasies, urges, or behaviors. These fantasies, urges, or behaviors must occur for a significant period of time and must interfere with either satisfactory sexual relations or everyday functioning if the diagnosis is to be made. There is also a sense of distress within these individuals. In other words, they typically recognize the symptoms as negatively impacting their life but feel as if they are unable to control them.

THAT definition has so many parts to it that I feel need a challenge I'm not sure where to begin! But, alas I shall try and will drag those of you either interested enough (or bored enough) along with me on this journey of questions...

Paraphilias all have in common distressing and repetitive sexual fantasies, urges, or behaviors.

Do you find your fantasies, urges or behaviors distressing? Did you at one point? Did something change your thought process that resulted in it no longer being distressing? Or better yet, let's ask the question, did you find it more distressing when you were trying to squash and ignore or fantasies, urges, or behaviors or after you finally recognized them and started accepting them?

These fantasies, urges, or behaviors must occur for a significant period of time and must interfere with either satisfactory sexual relations or everyday functioning if the diagnosis is to be made.

The moment I read this I immediately wanted to know what "significant period" was defined as. So, going to the ever faithful Webster's dictionary this is how it was defined from my understanding (combining of course the two different definitions into one) of a noticeably or measurably large amount or portion of time determined by some recurring phenomenon.

I also wanted to know what "satisfactory sexual relations" was defined as. Of course satisfactory was not clearly defined but meant satisfaction or adequate which is defined as sufficient for a specific requirement . Sexual relations was defined as heterosexual intercourse involving penetration of the vagina by the penis or intercourse (as anal or oral intercourse) that does not involve penetration of the vagina by the penis.

What is noticeable or measurable? Does this mean that anyone who has had sexual fantasies of the nature intended here for more then a moment could fall under this category? Who is to be the one to determine what is "sufficient" for my sexual needs? We allow others in society to determine that daily in some ways I'm sure, but how far does it go? Do you think you were personally satisfied sexually before you acknowledged this need? Did that satisfaction only occur after it was acknowledged? Is there a middle ground? Do you see your choice of acknowledging your sexual feelings as interfering with your "everyday functioning" or adding to it?

There is also a sense of distress within these individuals.

As asked earlier are you more distressed now that you have acknowledged the feelings and sought to understand and meet them or less? Is the distress on a sexual basis only or on an overall basis? Did acknowledging them help resolve some other distresses?

In other words, they typically recognize the symptoms as negatively impacting their life but feel as if they are unable to control them.

Do you see them as having a negative impact on your life or enhancing it? Are you unable to control them? Do you want to control them or would you prefer someone else to control them?

Not sure I truly have a point anymore... lol. Other then to say, do you fit in the definition or not? I feel this type of definition is what adds to the closed mindedness of those around us, do you agree or disagree? Basically... what is your feeling about the definition?

On a personal note, the assorted "categories" for this disorder are:
Exhibitionism
Fetishism
Frotteurism
Pedophilia
Sexual Masochism
Sexual Sadism
Transvestic Fetishism
Voyeurism

And I, personally, am insulted on many levels, to be categorized in the same class as pedophiles. Which there fore makes me wonder... how truly open minded does that make me in the end?